Talk

Advanced search

Casual, non-sweet, jeans 'n' leather jacket scent?

(24 Posts)
UGotTheLook Sun 01-Dec-19 18:51:06

I have quite a collection of perfumes - mostly florals, chypres, a few citrus - but nothing I want to wear when I am wearing jeans and a leather jacket. I want something not at all sweet, but warm and comforting. I love the idea of leather scents, but the ones I have tried smell to me like a tom cat has peed in an ashtray. I'd also like it if it had low sillage and personal rather than being very expansive.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

RuggyPeg Sun 01-Dec-19 18:52:41

I always wear Chanel no 19 when I wear a leather jacket. I think they mix perfectly together.

PaulHollywoodsleftbollockhair Sun 01-Dec-19 18:54:33

Not leather but Jo Malone sea salt and wood sage might be worth a try re casual low sillage.

UGotTheLook Sun 01-Dec-19 18:56:08

Thanks, I'll pop into JM and have a sniff.

UGotTheLook Sun 01-Dec-19 18:57:55

RuggyPeg - isn't the chanel quite a sweet one?

Puppylucky Sun 01-Dec-19 20:04:45

Love the specific vibe you're describing! I've just tried a couple of woody musky fragrances courtesy of Perfume Parlour that may fit the bill. For full disclosure I live in jeans and leather (or fake fur in this weather) so get your need for a fragrance that suits!
Anyway my latest finds are :
Shrub of Asia. I can't work out what this is a PP dupe of, but it's gorgeous. Soft woody patchouli that's not too sweet or too heavy
Mother of pearl. This is the PP of La Femme Nacre - again a beautiful dry soft wood
If you don't fancy a dupe then I was pleasantly surprised by Jo by Jo Malone's Red Truffle - a very soft but deep fig scent.
Hope that helps!

musicmum75 Sun 01-Dec-19 21:36:14

Bottega Veneta. It has a sweet, slightly smokey leathery smell so would be perfect I think.

similarminimer Sun 01-Dec-19 22:06:12

Le labo Santal 33. Inspired by the Marlboro cowboy.

smileannie Sun 01-Dec-19 22:14:31

Tom Ford, Private Blend Oud Wood Eau de Parfum
Tom Ford, Ombré Leather, Eau de Parfum.

I’m not sure about the first one but the second is for men, but I have worn it any case (I’m a female) and it smelt great. Unfortunately both are expensive but there still some Black Friday deals on or alternatively Cyber Monday. Don’t know if there are any dupes around.

marriedthegambler Sun 01-Dec-19 22:18:30

Another for le labo Santal 33!
I wear it everyday but think it meets the jeans and leather jacket description perfectly.

slinkysaluki Mon 02-Dec-19 10:03:29

Fan Di Fendi is nice, leathery, citrus and white floral.

An old one but i like Obsession, the mens one i like better than the womens, its ambery, spicy and warm

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille is a good one too

teta Mon 02-Dec-19 10:09:44

Diptyque Tam Dao or
Chanel Bois De iles .

UGotTheLook Mon 02-Dec-19 21:43:57

Lots of wonderful new scents for me to look out for. Thank you MumsNetters!

I actually have a bottle of 33 Santal - I don't wear it because it reminded me of someone I didn't want reminded of. It's time to reclaim it I think!

But I will def go sniff some of these newbies out.

BlueSkyAtChristmas Mon 02-Dec-19 23:41:16

What you are looking for is an iris perfume- specifically orris root if you want the really carrotty earthy essence. Hard to explain, but this gives a skin/ leather scent

Try...
Iris mist by serge lutens
Atelier cologne iris rebelle
Bottega Veneta (original one)
Hiris by Hermes
Prada infusions iris (some in the range are sweeter than others- John Lewis have them)
Chanel No 19 (and the poudre flanker )

Also good for evoking leather/ suede ...
Merchant of Venice byzantium saffron
Galop d’Hermes
Skin on skin

My absolute favourite iris perfume is the woody Chanel exclusif Bois de iles ... Ah-mazing!

BlueSkyAtChristmas Mon 02-Dec-19 23:44:01

Oh and how could I forget Floral Street’s black lotus... it’s rose in a leather jacket in a bottle. Smells pretty good but it is definitely not a skin scent!

FreeStar Tue 03-Dec-19 01:15:19

I have Tom Ford Tuscan Leather- it's fairly masculine but I think it works well on women- I often choose that when wearing my leather jacket.

Chanel Cuir De Russie is like a leathery version of No5.

Hermes Kelly Caleche smells fresher and younger and is subtley leathery- it's supposed to smell like the inside of a woman's Hermes handbag!

Alaia is also a nice leather scent- it's nice and warm and spicy! Very feminine!

evilharpy Tue 03-Dec-19 09:28:35

I love Tom Ford Vanille Fatale or Tobacco Vanille with a leather jacket.

Also, a bit of a blast from the past for me and I haven't worn or owned it for years, but you might like Bennetton Cold (in a bottle with a lid shaped like a blue tap - they also have Hot with a red lid). It's lighter and fresher but quite masculine, cheap as chips and goes well with that sort of look, I think.

www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Benetton/Benetton-Cold-2487.html

Oh and also L'Envols by Cartier. Lovely.

Just a couple of options if you don't want to actually smell leathery.

JumpiestBat Tue 03-Dec-19 09:31:17

Banana Republic Cypress Cedar is lovely, quite spicy and musky.

hammeringinmyhead Tue 03-Dec-19 10:36:34

4160 Tuesdays Another Kiss by the Fireside?

UGotTheLook Wed 04-Dec-19 20:26:59

More ideas, thank you all. I checked out the Chanel No 19 and didn't like it at all.

I will check out some of the Tom Ford scents, but I'll have to go to a bigger town - the local stores don't have ones I'm interested in.

I've not tried about 4160. Are there many stockists? I'm not often in that London.

hammeringinmyhead Wed 04-Dec-19 20:35:34

www.4160tuesdays.com/stockists.html

Not many. I ordered a set of samplers and then my DH bought me a big bottle from Escensuals.

sanitygirl Wed 04-Dec-19 22:50:19

Have a sniff of Diptyque Fleur de Peau - sounds like the kind of thing you're after

highlandcoo Thu 05-Dec-19 09:30:51

Narciso Rodriguez for her - the original - is soft and warm. Very easy to wear. They do a hair mist too which is fab and adds another layer of fragrance.

I sometimes add a little Kiehl's Musk over the perfume to make it a little spicier, especially in the winter.

MeOnSea Thu 05-Dec-19 09:34:13

Miller Harris Etui Noir? Don’t know if it meets your criteria but when you said leather jacket it made me think of this www.millerharris.com/products/etui-noir-eau-de-parfum

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »