Talk

Advanced search

Can I wear a black sparkly dress to a winter wedding?

(11 Posts)
oooompa Sat 30-Nov-19 22:21:51

https://www.next.co.uk/g9923s5?itm=559024#559024

Unfortunately I am clueless when it comes to fashion and I'm panicking about a wedding coming up at the end of December. I've never attended a winter wedding before so I'm not sure if the "don't wear black to a wedding" etiquette still applies? And if its OK to wear any ideas on how to accessorise? I would probably wear black shoes as I have very large, awkward feet and find shoe shopping such a pain.

I've bought the dress as its the best of about 20 I've tried. I would have gone for the bronze but it's sold out in my size and not available in any local stores.

I've lost 6 stone so really wanted to treat myself to something a bit special instead of wearing something I already own (from before I gained all the weight) so if anyone can point me in the direction of a dress that might be more suitable?

I have pale skin, blue eyes and ginger hair and tend to suit emerald green, navy or cobalt blue, maroon or purple. I don't really like prints and would really like something with long sleeves as my arms are disgusting! blush I'd be looking for a size 16 ideally (but possibly an 18 if the fitting isn't so generous!)

Please help!!

Jumblebee Tue 03-Dec-19 14:22:58

Sad hopeful bump, as I'm still in a quandary about whether I should keep looking for another dress or not blush

allmycats Tue 03-Dec-19 14:26:52

Yes, you could wear black. Why not accessories with emerald or cobalt blue bag and hat/fascinator in either of those colours with a few black sparkly feathers and some crystals.

Paddy1234 Tue 03-Dec-19 14:28:36

I think that is perfect and if you are slightly worried get a clutch or something to add a bit of colour x

Bunney2020 Tue 03-Dec-19 14:28:52

I don’t think black at a wedding is seen as that “taboo” anymore. I’ve been to a few weddings this year and lots of people wore black dresses even in the summer. I agree with a pair of colourful shoes and some bling it would look lovely.

Bunney2020 Tue 03-Dec-19 14:31:19

Or how about this as an alternative?
www.asos.com/prd/12806687?acquisitionsource=pasteboard

Fucck Tue 03-Dec-19 14:36:39

I honestly don't think I'd bat an eyelid at someone wearing black or red for a wedding, even in the summer . White, I agree, is terribly bad form but the black/red thing is such an old wives tale that just doesn't apply in 2019.

I think that dress is lovely! I agree about a bright contrast of accessories, it will look great.

IdblowJonSnow Tue 03-Dec-19 14:41:13

Looks good to me. The sparkle lifts it so it doesn't have a very black affect! (Effect?) blush

rookiemere Tue 03-Dec-19 14:43:50

The bronze is now available for delivery in 1-2 weeks. Could you order it and then return the one you don't want ? I think the black would be ok but the bronze sounds like it would work well with your colouring - and also isn't black .

KristinaM Tue 03-Dec-19 14:46:50

Black sparkly dresses In general are just fine for a winter wedding.

But you, my dear OP, cannot wear black . In fact I FORBID you to wear black because it’s not your best colour, as a pale skinned blue eyed red head.

Anyone who has done such as amazing thing as to lose 6 stone deserves to look FANTASTIC , not just OK.

So pop online and order that Next dress in bronze - it’s says it’s available for delivery in 1-2 weeks. So there’s a good chance you will get it in time.

And then start looking online for a back up in green, blue, maroon or purple.

BTW black shoes will be fine and you are more likely to wear them again.

KristinaM Tue 03-Dec-19 15:03:47

I don’t know your style of course, but these are all

Similar price
Not black
With sleeves

Maxi dress in a lovely green

www.phase-eight.com/product/hyria-chiffon-maxi-dress-205291637.html#navAjax=true&sz=60&start=0&srule=price-low-to-high&cgid=dresses&pid=205291637&pos=47

Cobalt blue ( but the 18 might be too big for you )

www.phase-eight.com/product/olivia-asymmetric-dress-230547960.html#start=0&sz=60&srule=price-low-to-high&cgid=dresses&pid=230547960&pos=41

www.phase-eight.com/product/feather-devoure-dress-208216751.html#navAjax=true&imageType=model&sz=60&start=58&srule=price-low-to-high&cgid=dresses&pid=208216751&pos=84

Cobalt

www.phase-eight.com/product/cleo-tie-waist-dress-205136751.html#navAjax=true&imageType=model&sz=60&start=116&srule=price-low-to-high&cgid=dresses&pid=205136751&pos=116

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »