Talk

Advanced search

Help a Hapless Husband......

(68 Posts)
pugwash4x4 Fri 22-Nov-19 16:18:50

Dear Mumsnetters,

Please help,

My lovely other half needs a new coat for Chrimbo and I would very much appreciate some tips on sartorial elegence from the mumsnet community.

Mrs P walks the kids to school every morning across fields and needs something beautiful and classy to make her feel good on a cold and dank morning.

It must be absolutely waterproof, windproof and warm, but also be flattering and comfy. It cannot be waxed, or a parka.

I have the sartorial elegance of a blind mole rate, and even less knowledge of ladies fashion brands.

I'm happy to spend what i consider an obscene amount of money for something that will last a good few years.

Where should i look? nothing on the high street works - either it looks good and isn't waterproof, or its waterproof and looks rubbish (or looks like shes going mountaineering- we already have a tonne of goretex for walking....)

If it helps, shes size 10-12, 5'8 an a very hard working SuperMum who deserves something nice after a good few years of tightened belts.

Thank you in advance, and please be nice :D

Apileofballyhoo Fri 22-Nov-19 16:24:49

I saw a woman a couple of days ago wearing a dark green fitted down coat and short wellington boots. It made me think of Mumsnet as she looked extremely stylish. There are many threads on here about looking put together versus scruffy! I tried to see the label of the coat but couldn't. It just looked expensive but practical. I think it might have been Scandinavian (I heard the woman speaking in the queue in front of me and she had accented English).

What's your budget?

FelixFelicis6 Fri 22-Nov-19 16:29:41

I don’t know but bumping for you!

SebandAlice Fri 22-Nov-19 16:33:35

What about a Max Mara? Very warm and waterproof as far as I know. This one is reversible.

www.net-a-porter.com/ie/en/product/1168199

pugwash4x4 Fri 22-Nov-19 16:33:46

Maybe £300? if that's enough? or hopefully too much :D

I'd rather spedn £350 on something she loves than £150 on something innocuous

Ninjakittysmellz Fri 22-Nov-19 16:40:28

Have a look at Holland and Cooper who are a horsey brand who all the posh mums at school seem to be wearing at the mo.

You and your wife sound lovely by the way, I hope she has a lovely Christmas smile

Apileofballyhoo Fri 22-Nov-19 16:46:59

The Holland and Cooper ones look nice. Don't get a shiny looking one.

Apileofballyhoo Fri 22-Nov-19 17:05:26

And if you go for something padded, make sure the lines are horizontal not diagonal.

Batshittery Fri 22-Nov-19 20:25:35

Have you had a look at Seasalt? They are a bit parkerish but fully waterproof and warm. I hope you find something.

RedPandaFluff Fri 22-Nov-19 21:17:04

Be careful, @pugwash4x4 - the down coats/padded jackets suggested upthread aren't likely to be waterproof. Usually you get either insulated (down or hydrophobic down) OR waterproof - and I mean proper waterproofing, not just showerproof which is what most of the Joules/Seasalt/Boden costs are, even though they claim to waterproof.

I'd suggest North Face or Berghaus for a really good warm, waterproof coat.

DH works in the outdoors clothing industry so I know more about this stuff than I want to 😄

RedPandaFluff Fri 22-Nov-19 21:20:28

Ugh - reposted with horrendous typos corrected, sorry! And an extra bit about DWR. I'm pregnant and tired 😆

Be careful, @pugwash4x4 - the down coats/padded jackets suggested upthread aren't likely to be waterproof. Usually you get either insulated (down or synthetic/hydrophobic down) OR waterproof - and I mean proper waterproofing, not just showerproof which is what most of the Joules/Seasalt/Boden coats are, even though they claim to be waterproof. It's usually just a crappy layer of DWR (durable water repellent spray) that wears off really quickly.

I'd suggest North Face or Berghaus for a really good warm, waterproof coat.

DH works in the outdoors clothing industry so I know more about this stuff than I want to 😄

pugwash4x4 Fri 22-Nov-19 23:56:42

Thanks everybody, lots to think of in here, much appreciated, I'm still looking though.

Redpandafluff, no idea how you even manage to type anything whilst pregnant, I am in awe of my wife and any woman that stays even vaguely compus mentis with 12tonnes of hormones and a very busy growing human to carry. Good tips, just want to avoid a walking expedition jacket. Doesn't need to be down/loft just warmish.

Currently looking at equestrian and shooting suppliers......

Thanks again everyone, any further pointers gratefully received

Springersrock Sat 23-Nov-19 00:16:05

I’ve got this coat

www.ariat.com/gb/en/MADDEN_H2O_PARKA_W_APP.html?dwvar_MADDEN__H2O__PARKA__W__APP_color=NAVY_HEATHER

Not particularly elegant but we’ve got horses so I’ve been rained on a lot so far this winter and it’s kept me warm and dry

Springersrock Sat 23-Nov-19 00:20:05

Sorry, I missed the bit in the op about not a parka

Have you looked in places like Musto? I had a sailing jacket of theirs for years and it was fab (not for sailing, I throw up just looking at a boat)

carolina21 Sat 23-Nov-19 00:25:48

I honestly think a jacket needs to be fitted first ? You can't just buy a jacket and sizing is correct ?

I would find advice for brand and buy gift voucher

fatulousatforty Sat 23-Nov-19 00:28:48

Barbour

Apileofballyhoo Sat 23-Nov-19 00:29:11

Does it rain a lot where you are, OP? Is waterproof more of a priority than warmth?

agteacht Sat 23-Nov-19 00:31:10

What about something like this from Boden?

https://www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/hengrave-tweed-coat-bright-green-herringbone/sty-t0404-dgr?cat=C1S22_G2&pid=T0404-T0404-G_00000001907

Stylish, smart, and their stuff is great quality

Be warned they tend to come up big so if she's 10-12 and you buy from Boden I'd go for a 10. Maybe even an 8 but she can always swap it.

LauraPalmersBodybag Sat 23-Nov-19 00:32:18

Maybe something from Protected Species

www.protected-species.com/our-products/waterproof-commuter/

With a uniqlo down jacket for warmth when it’s chilly. That way she can use the coat in spring too.

agteacht Sat 23-Nov-19 00:34:02

Two others that I love from Boden...

https://www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/mitford-coat-navy/sty-t0423-nav?cat=C1S22G2&pid=T0423-T0423-G000000019155

https://www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/lovelace-coat-navy/sty-t0373-nav?cat=C1S2G2&pid=T0373-T0373-GG_00000001979

agteacht Sat 23-Nov-19 00:35:05

Oh waterproof? Woops sorry...
But a matching umbrella 😂

AnuvvaMuvva Sat 23-Nov-19 00:36:48

* I honestly think a jacket needs to be fitted first ? You can't just buy a jacket and sizing is correct ?*

You can buy a jacket without getting it altered. It might not fit as perfectly as a bespoke tailored piece, but it will still be fine for walking across rainy fields in the way to school...

Trumpton Sat 23-Nov-19 05:17:58

May I second Protected Species . I layer mine up but it’s soft and completely waterproof . I queued for an hour in the pouring rain last December and was dry and warm .

bringonyourwreckingball Sat 23-Nov-19 05:59:24

i recently bought the Carson Pass jacket from Columbia and it is the warmest, cosiest thing ever but slightly fitted so looks smart. It’s waterproof too

www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/p/womens-carson-pass-ii-jacket-WL4117.html?dwvar_WL4117_color=607

Elllllle Sat 23-Nov-19 07:53:45

Warm, waterproof, windproof but not a parka or down jacket? What sort of thing did you have in mind?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »