Talk

Advanced search

If you are in your 40’s what foundation do you use?

(64 Posts)
Poppysball Sat 09-Nov-19 11:03:52

I’m mid 40’s and have used Estee Lauder tinted moisturiser for years which I really like but I find by early afternoon all my make up has disappeared and then I look tired and a bit sallow.

Thinking maybe I need something a bit more but I don’t like the feel of heavy foundation on my skin.

Please could you share your foundations if you are of similar age or other product you may use to look less tired. Maybe blusher? My skin colour is quite sallow/olivey with dark circles and I tan easily in summer.

Thanks for any suggestions.

RosieCockle Sat 09-Nov-19 11:12:43

I bought EL Double Wear this summer and love love love it. I think I had confused it for the one in the blue tube which is really thick and heavy but it's runny like normal. But the difference is that once it dries you can't wipe it off. But it's not like a heavy mask.
I've not bothered wearing any of my others (CT Magic & Flawless, Armani Fabric & Luminous Silk, IT CC cream, etc etc).
Also they do 10-day samples. I persuaded my sister to try it and she has much dryer skin than me, but she went back and bought it too. At the end of the working day it looks almost as good.

Poppysball Sat 09-Nov-19 12:02:50

Thank you RosieCockle is it the standard one or the light version? I don’t want to look caked if you know what I mean. Perhaps I could ask for a sample.

thedevilinablackdress Sat 09-Nov-19 12:04:39

Tinted moisturiser suits me better now. And yes to blusher.

Delatron Sat 09-Nov-19 13:11:17

I gave up on foundation. Use a glowy primer (Becca backlight) and cream blush. No powder.
I also use Clarins radiance drops for a bit of colour from time to time if I feel washed out.

Bluntness100 Sat 09-Nov-19 13:19:27

I'm fifty but have used Chanel for a few years, I use le teint ultra tenue. It's a long wear foundation, matt but radiant with it if that makes sense, and it's really good. I'd thoroughly recommend. It's very natural looking and makes my skin look very healthy.

eurochick Sat 09-Nov-19 13:20:20

Armani face fabric. It's amazing stuff.

Ellapaella Sat 09-Nov-19 13:33:48

I use Estée Lauder double wear for nights out or special occasions but it's too heavy for daily use for me.
I use Nars radiant long wear for everyday use and really rate it.

missyB1 Sat 09-Nov-19 13:41:08

I’m 51 with dry sensitive skin. I use Number 7 essentially natural, it’s moisturising with a dewy finish.

DragonontheWagon Sat 09-Nov-19 13:55:10

I in my50's and I wear Estée Lauder double wear most days but I layer it on in about4 thin layers so it looks far more natural.

In the summer I wear EL DW light.

Ponks Sat 09-Nov-19 13:56:23

Currently using Becca first light priming filter which gives a bit of a glow then No 7 Hydraluminous foundation, plus the No7 luminous concealer found the eyes. All pretty light textured, i do powder my nose a couple of times in the day as have combination skin.

Ponks Sat 09-Nov-19 13:57:02

Ps I'm quite sallow too and get dark circles

Morgenrot Sat 09-Nov-19 14:37:58

You all seem to use such expensive stuff. You are lucky to be able to afford it.

citygirl1961 Sat 09-Nov-19 18:55:17

MissyB1, I use No7 essentially natural too, its very light (I'm nearly 58 by the way), which shade do you use and do you find it OK in summer too?

Sorry to jump in by the way.

missyB1 Sat 09-Nov-19 18:58:35

citygirl I use warm Ivory and in summer I only used it for nights out, as I tended to use a tinted moisturiser or L’Oréal CC cream in the day.

Pandaintheporridge Sat 09-Nov-19 19:23:24

I use bourjois CC cream though I'm not sure if it still does what I thought it did - could do with a change!

Fairylea Sat 09-Nov-19 19:24:46

I use No 7 Protect and perfect foundation- £16 ish I think. But I love the cheap as chips Nivea blue cream underneath as it makes my skin very glowy. Obviously depends on your skin type if that’s of use or not!

Also a fan of Maybelline square pressed powder and L’Oréal concealer on days when I don’t want to wear too much stuff.

withlotsoflove Sat 09-Nov-19 20:33:13

48. I use no7 HydraLuminous- absolutely lovely!

stoplickingthetelly Sat 09-Nov-19 20:35:09

I’m 38 and currently use either Bobbi Brown skin foundation stick or Nars sheer glow. I find Nars has a bit more coverage, but possibly shows fine lines a little more? My mum is 59 and wears the newest Laura mercier one, it looks great on her.

ChilliMayo Sat 09-Nov-19 20:43:54

I use The Ordinary silicon primer and after waiting a couple of minutes Stila foundation applied by a brush, just slightly dipping the tips of the brush into the foundation.
I've really transformed my skin this year since The Ordinary was recommended. Hyaluric acid straight out of the shower, then a dab of Natural Factors moisturising cream, then the primer. I use their alpha lipoic acid twice a week. my tone is much brighter, open pores nearly disappeared and it's just so much smoother.
I reckon I spend about £15 every couple of months with the Ordinary. The Stila foundation was half price from Beauty Bay and I expect this jar to last me right up to its expiry.

giggleshizz Sat 09-Nov-19 20:50:13

Was using stila all day foundation but now using stila CC cream which seems to give me a Fab glow. Think it may be discontinued as picked up in tk Maxx.
Over that I wear mac studio fix. I'm 46 but am blessed with good skin. Lately I've been feeling a bit meh though but the CC cream has really given me a glow again.

ChequerBoard Sat 09-Nov-19 20:51:59

I've just started using Nars Sheer Glow after I had my makeup done by a professional who used it. It's light but gives me good coverage and lasts all day - through a long work day and on into drinks and dinner.

I have also started using the Kryolan mattifying primer bust only on my t-zone and this has been a revelation - no need for powder any more and no shiny nose by midday!

suze28 Sat 09-Nov-19 20:53:34

I'm 48 and have a few I regularly use. Bobbi Brown skin foundation, Clarins Skin Illusion, MAC Studio Fix and Beauty Pie Great Everyday.

madcatladyforever Sat 09-Nov-19 20:55:26

Always touche eclat.

WhatsTheStoryToday Sat 09-Nov-19 20:55:33

I've just switched from no7 which I swore by, to Charlotte Tilbury which I love!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »