Talk

Advanced search

How many bras do you own?

(70 Posts)
WheelOfMisfortune Fri 08-Nov-19 11:17:11

And for that matter, how many pairs of pants and socks?

I have a massive underwear drawer with about 20 bras, about 50 pairs of pants and 40 odd pairs of socks. I don’t like most of my underwear so I’m planning a refresh, but I have no idea what a good amount to own is. Throwing the question out to find out where I should aim!

I find I tend to let the laundry mount up and I feel like maybe having too much underwear might be part of the reason why?

ReginaGeorgeous Fri 08-Nov-19 11:21:30

I had a good clear out of my bras recently, I now have four. I've got three everyday t shirt bras in white, nude and black and then I've got a prettier pink and black padded one for if I'm going out somewhere nice.

Doormat247 Fri 08-Nov-19 11:24:41

I also have waaaay too many and don't know how many I should own.
I guess I probably just need 1 white, 1 black, 1 Nude, 1 red/pink and 1 grey.
I must have at least 40 bras and a lot have never even been de-tagged. I always buy the matching knickers too yet never wear them, I just use the comfiest ones (I bet I have over 100 pairs of knickers).
I have a ridiculous amount of socks too and have never been able to get the pile down as I inevitably find cute ones that require me to buy them blush.

Doesn't help that my bras are massive so I can't fit many in each drawer. I've tried for years to sort out my underwear obsession and I just can't get on top of it.

WheelOfMisfortune Fri 08-Nov-19 11:39:14

I may need to land somewhere halfway!

@ReginaGeorgeous do you find 4 is enough?

@Doormat247 I have the same obsession for matching! I have an idea that I will get down to 8 bras with three matching pairs of pants for each but I’m not sure if that’s enough?

DontLettuceBrexitLettuceRomain Fri 08-Nov-19 11:43:56

I have massive boobs so don't have anything like 40bras - where would I store them all?!

I have 4 proper bras and 2 soft house ones.
I have 10 pairs of knickers, all no VPL so I don't need to worry about it
No idea on socks but I have a good supply of dress socks, pop socks, see through etc

ReginaGeorgeous Fri 08-Nov-19 11:44:41

I do, but I'm in a pretty good routine with my laundry, they get worn 2-3 times each then washed and I do all my laundry once a week.

MsChatterbox Fri 08-Nov-19 11:48:29

I think 4 is a good amount.

MrsCharlesBrandon Fri 08-Nov-19 11:52:15

I have loads of bras, but actually wear 4 - 2 blue, 1 nude, 1 wine colour. Need to have a clear out! Can't stop buying them and they never fit properly.

Approx 15 pairs of pants, many millions of socks.

Ravenrob Fri 08-Nov-19 11:53:00

I have 4 but I don't wear one every day.
Have about 20 pairs of pants and same for socks.

duckyandbunny Fri 08-Nov-19 11:53:40

I have loads of bras but only about 2 of them actually fit me properly the other all pop my nips out at some point 😂

Jolonglegs Fri 08-Nov-19 12:04:52

I seem to buy a bra thinking it fits, then after a few wears find it doesn't feel comfy so go out and buy another hoping it'll feel better. I had a bra fitting about a year ago, but I seem to be struggling with fit again; surely my boobs aren't changing size are they? Consequently I have a drawerful, most of which I never wear. My go to bras at the moment are a wired black, wired white, and two nude non-wired which I wear at home.
No idea on knicks other than a drawerful which I should probably cull at some time.

Doormat247 Fri 08-Nov-19 12:06:44

@WheelOfMisfortune I honestly think I'd struggle getting down to that amount but surely that would be enough. 8 does sound a lot but I know I have more than 8 that I would want to keep so you may do too. The amount I've spent on them puts me off getting rid.

I have to do it sooner rather than later as when my DP moves in, he'll need some of my bra drawers to keep his clothes in. It won't be an easy task as I have many excuses to keep them.

MikeUniformMike Fri 08-Nov-19 12:42:14

Ditch the ones you never wear.

Karmatime Fri 08-Nov-19 14:40:37

I think I have 7 that I wear and another 4 a cup size smaller for the one week in the month when my boobs deflate - which is the opposite to most cycles I know! Far too many pairs of knickers most of which need chucking, ditto socks.

VioletCharlotte Fri 08-Nov-19 14:46:08

Bras - Four (5 if you include sports bra).Two black and one nude for every day, and one black lacy one.

Knickers - probably about 15/20 pairs.

Socks - no idea, loads.

Volvemos Fri 08-Nov-19 14:49:43

8 bras, 8 knickers, 8 socks, 8 tights. Enough for week plus a spare.

Volvemos Fri 08-Nov-19 14:51:25

Used to be 3 of each but that put pressure on the wash schedule. When I was really skint, it was 2 of each, handwash every night, dry during day for next day. God, I’m glad I’m past that.

RoseMartha Fri 08-Nov-19 15:49:29

About 8 bras all fit but some are a bit old and worn out.

Knickers about 25pairs although some are faded and a bit washed out.

Socks I have loads but some are normal ones, some are trainer socks, some are hiking socks , some are bed socks.

merryhouse Fri 08-Nov-19 16:10:23

Do they go in a normal wash, a delicates wash or a whites wash?

Rather than trying to decide how many bras you need, decide how many would prompt a wash. Then decide how often to wash them (maybe once a week? depends which wash they go in, really) then get/keep enough for that, bearing in mind how long the drying will take and that you may want to put it off a couple of days sometimes.

I change my bra almost every day at the moment but that's because I'm going to the gym and I can't be arsed to sort out getting sports bras (partly because the one I have doesn't seem to do anything different - I'm only 36C).

Sooverthemill Fri 08-Nov-19 16:19:23

I have 5 regular ones plus a nude multi-way and a 'nice' black one. Regular are from M&S and all the same pretty much 2x almond ( nude), 1 x pink, 1 x black, 1 x red
I wash 1 a week and wear on rotation generally except in the summer I don't wear the black one much
I have about 20 pairs of knickers, all very similar some even match the bras!

YouJustDoYou Fri 08-Nov-19 16:31:41

LlamaofDrama Fri 08-Nov-19 21:10:56

I have 3 plus a sports bra. They all get hand washed because I've got awkward boobs that cost a fortune to clothe and I can't afford to knacker them in the machine.

None of them match my knickers and I have plenty of those, probably 15 pairs?

Desperately need more socks, hoping father Christmas will oblige.

GoodGriefSunshine Fri 08-Nov-19 22:43:00

VioletCharlotte if you need a sports bra then you need 3 sports bras. Unlike regular bras you can't wear a sports bra more than once as they get very sweated on. So you need one for today, one for tomorrow and unless you are doing laundry daily the. You need a third one for the day after that.

Why does everyone say 4 bras is enough. Why are people so happy with black, white and nude. I like some bright colours too. Especially if there is any chance they may be seen through a sheer top or wide shoulder. I also don't know why people have white bras. When do you wear them? You can't wear them under white. So for me it's several black, several nude in plunge, balconette, full cup, t-shirt, Lacy, sexy, comfy, minimising, maximising...depending on what I am wearing. Then several pinks and a red and some multicoloured again in various styles. And then There are a couple of multi-way bras and some strapless for occasion dresses. So about 25-30

singswithitsfingers Sat 09-Nov-19 10:42:17

I had to clear all mine out recently (changed size) and I now have four, which is fine for me but I'm not really into underwear. Ps. There are a couple of good charities For bra recycling

JessLewis Sat 09-Nov-19 12:27:06

I have 8 bras, 3 black, 3 nude, 2 Lacey peach ones. Plus one sports bra. I did have matching panties but I’m not sure that’s the case any longer. As for socks I have no idea!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »