Talk

Advanced search

Lucy & Yak dungarees

(34 Posts)
Jozen Thu 07-Nov-19 19:50:15

I've just purchased a pair of gorgeous Lucy & Yak dungarees.
For those that wear them (and other dungarees), how do you style yours?
I'm a short, slim 46 year old and while I love the styling on the Lucy & Yak website, it's a bit too out there for me.
My style is Dr Martens, Birkenstocks, one piece of statement jewellery rather than lots, muted colours with something bright and above all, comfortable.
Give me your ideas please!

fedup21 Thu 07-Nov-19 20:12:54

I don’t really like the dungarees but I do like the Mini pinis and wear them with DMs (the zip wedges) or Fly London boots. Would wear with Birks in the summer too.

Sadik Thu 07-Nov-19 20:21:22

I'm short & slim but a bit older (50). I've got the blue corduroy Easton dungarees. I've added buttons as the knots on the straps annoy me,
& wear them with either a stretchy fitted t-shirt or a close fitting light lambswool sweater under them (or alternatively with a stripey Monki long sleeve tee for what my partner describes as my childrens TV presenter look if I want to annoy amuse him grin ).

Sadik Thu 07-Nov-19 20:22:12

I've mostly worn with trainers rather than boots so far, but as winter comes in that'll change!

smeerf Thu 07-Nov-19 20:25:32

I wear them over a fitted scoop neck half/long sleeved top as it offsets the "kid's TV presenter effect".

I fold the cuffs up a little and tie the straps either in a simple knot or the "slipknot" tie - there's tutorials on the unofficial Facebook group.

MikeUniformMike Thu 07-Nov-19 20:51:29

Watching for inspiration. I don't like Converse.

SewButtons Thu 07-Nov-19 21:00:17

I will be wearing my denim Lucy and yaks tomorrow with a high neck long sleeve black ribbed top and black chunky boots. Simple silver necklace and bracelet.
I’ll have an orange and grey blanket scarf and khaki parka on as well for standing around in the playground freezing while the kids tire themselves out.

Jozen Fri 08-Nov-19 09:04:02

Thanks ladies! I wore mine with a stripy navy and white long sleeve t shirt and Dr Marten slouchy ankle boots.
DS thought I looked like a painter and decorator, DD thought I looked like a French onion seller but redeemed herself with "cool French onion seller". At least children's TV presenter wasn't mentioned!

I have a Red Herring navy corduroy pinafore which I've worn to death so may invest in a minipini too.

Jozen Fri 08-Nov-19 09:05:30

@sewbuttons I need to see this orange and grey blanket scarf. It sounds lovely.

lentilsaregreat Fri 08-Nov-19 09:44:13

I wear mine with a t shirt under and a cardi over. with dm or converse. I don't like a jumper under. I'm in my 50s.

Bluewavescrashing Fri 08-Nov-19 09:51:23

Long sleeve tee under, chunky cardi over. Trainers.

Or cashmere jumper under, short ugg boots.

MikeUniformMike Fri 08-Nov-19 10:19:34

They have the last chance to buy things at the moment, and i think there's a discount on the 15th, if you fancy a bargain.

SewButtons Fri 08-Nov-19 13:12:59

@Jozen it’s this one from Oliver Bonas but they don’t seem to have the orange colour this year. It’s so soft and warm though that I am considering buying it in a second colour.
www.oliverbonas.com/accessories/spliced-blue-grey-knitted-scarf-248364

Jozen Sat 09-Nov-19 02:29:33

Thanks @sewbuttons.
I've been looking on eBay and found a similar one in orange, mustard and grey!

Bananasandchocolatecustard Sat 09-Nov-19 12:15:51

I’m 60, I wear my black cord ones with a long sleeved t shirt, sometimes stripes or a thin sweatshirt. Purple or black DMs.

Sharonthetotallyinsane Sat 09-Nov-19 12:18:41

Long sleeved t shirt (the modal t shirts from Sainsbury’s), a chunky cardigan and doc Martin shoes or gazelles.

ElspethFlashman Sat 09-Nov-19 12:18:56

God you're all very stylish. I'm currently wearing my Eastons with a long sleeved M+S Heat tech top and some trainers.

I feel very basic! But I love those M+S tops cos they are quite thin looking whilst still being v v warm.

polexiaaphrodesia Sat 09-Nov-19 20:52:05

Have a look at @msjenallison on Instagram for inspiration - I think she styles them really well.

NancyEspana Sat 09-Nov-19 21:03:21

Watching with interest!

I have two pairs. I will freely admit that the light grey ones look like painter decorator overalls, but they were on sale possibly because they look like painter decorator overalls thlgrin.

I wear mine with long sleeved t-shirts and brogues or sometimes with a collarless shirt and chunky necklace. I don't suit mine unless they're rolled up a bit though.

I am 36 and a size 16ish.

NancyEspana Sat 09-Nov-19 21:06:12

Sorry, the last picture is the shirt and chunky necklace. Obviously not dungarees!

hammeringinmyhead Sat 09-Nov-19 21:30:44

I have cappuccino and blue Umis. They arem't winter wear for me, being so lightweight, but in summer I was wearing 3/4 sleeve stripe tops and trainers with a cardi if needed.

NancyEspana Sat 09-Nov-19 21:42:32

True hammering. My teal ones are cord and are better for winter than the umis, which I don't think I could've worn out today as they are very light.

I don't know how to wear the cord ones though in winter, as I can't imagine them with boots. Maybe hiking boots with a bit of a heel..?

Jozen Sat 09-Nov-19 22:01:01

Thanks for all your suggestions ladies.
I've had a look at @msjenallison on Instagram. Her style is right up my street. She looks much taller than me though grin, I always think taller people can carry off a certain style better but then I look at Lady Gaga and she's short and cool.

Alsioma Sun 10-Nov-19 01:43:53

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Sharonthetotallyinsane Sun 10-Nov-19 07:12:53

Agree the cotton ones would be too light at the moment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »