Talk

Advanced search

Beauty Pie for a die-hard Dermalogica user - is it possible?

(23 Posts)
AFistfulofDolores1 Tue 05-Nov-19 21:12:59

I know this is an 'apples vs. oranges' question, but worth a try!

I've been using Dermalogica products for over 15 years, and find myself having to rethink my budget, and unfortunately my skincare is the first place that I need to take a hit.

If you're a Beauty Pie fan, and you also know Dermalogica, do you think I could be happy making a change? I'm not looking for like-for-like (with BP, for example, I can't find a comparable cleansing gel, but it doesn't mean there's not an alternative).

So if I use the following, do you think I'd be able to be happy with BP products instead?

- Special Cleansing Gel
- Daily Microfoliant (I think this will be the hardest to replace)
- Multi-active Toner
- Skin Smoothing Cream
- Skin Hydrating Booster

Any and all thoughts welcome!

AFistfulofDolores1 Tue 05-Nov-19 22:02:58

I guess I have my answer smile

Destinesia Tue 05-Nov-19 22:20:30

I haven't used any of the Beauty Pie products but I have used Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel, Microfoliant and Skin Smoothing Cream.

I now use Cerave, the foaming cleanser is not dissimilar to Special Cleansing Gel and is very good. The moisturiser is also very good too, I use the lotion which isn't as rich as Skin Smoothing but they also do a cream (which I haven't tried). Boots sell it, it is frequently on 3 for 2 and they often have samples in the drawer below the display.

Indeed Labs do a powder exfoliant which is supposed to be identical to Microfoliant (not tried it though), also sold in Boots.

AFistfulofDolores1 Tue 05-Nov-19 22:23:42

Thank you, @Destinesia - I'll have a look at those!

MaybeDoctor Tue 05-Nov-19 22:33:56

I have heard that La Roche Posay is similar to Dermalogica but don’t know which products.

I love Dermalogica too and use the same products. However, I gave up on the Microfoliant after getting a Clarisonic. So perhaps some other physical method of exfoliation could work for you?

Ilikecurrybest Tue 05-Nov-19 22:44:17

I love dermalogica and have tried beauty pie skincare in the hopes of saving some money but wasn’t that impressed to be honest so went back to dermalogica or experimented with some other brands instead.

I think indeed labs also do a moisture booster which I found good so that my be worth a try and they also do some good moisturisers too I think. Gothamista has an amazing skincare channel on YouTube and has a video where she makes her own toner using some good products so it maybe worth checking out Please do report back if you find any good dupes smile

Zinnia Tue 05-Nov-19 23:15:50

I second Cerave foaming cleanser instead of Dermalogica Special Cleansing gel, I used the latter for years but have switched to Cerave and am very happy with it.

cultkid Tue 05-Nov-19 23:19:47

Avene Matte facial moisuriser if you use the mattifying gel

Newbiemumsy66 Tue 05-Nov-19 23:21:38

I love beauty pie, their japanfusion range is by far the best, especially the toner type product (forget the name). Their serums aren’t the best but good enough. don’t like their makeup either.

Iamthewombat Tue 05-Nov-19 23:21:48

If you do give Beauty Pie a go, avoid the Japanfusion range. It is a crock despite the site raving on about how fabulous it is.

Iamthewombat Tue 05-Nov-19 23:22:12

But other stuff pretty good on Beauty Pie.

Karmatime Wed 06-Nov-19 07:32:55

The Fruitizyme 5 min facial is close to the microfoliant - it says to use every few days rather than daily but that’s how I used the Dermalogica one. The hyaluronic acid and peptide serum in the pink bottle is as good as any hydration booster I’ve used so might be a replacement for that. I also really like their glycolic acid toner and Japanfusion cleanser, oh and the vitamin c moisturiser. Overall I’ve been very impressed with most of the skincare.

Housewife2010 Wed 06-Nov-19 09:33:52

I really like the Japanfusion range especially the cleanser and serum. I prefer Oskia Renaissance Cleansing Gel but the Japanfusion is a good alternative.

XingMing Wed 06-Nov-19 10:12:59

I still use the Special Cleansing Gel with a Clarisonic dupe, but it's the only product I still shell out for. I get the 500ml bottle which lasts almost a year for a small discount but otherwise, it's mainly BeautyPie, with DHC cleansing oil replacing the Dermologica PreCleanse.

I like the Japanfusion cleanser and toner; Super Healthy Skin moisturiser. I rotate around the serums, but my normal (63 yo) skin is pretty tolerant of stuff as long as it's fairly gentle.

frugalkitty Wed 06-Nov-19 10:15:07

Waitrose have their own version of the exfoliating powder, it's in a pot and is £2 or £3 so worth trying as a real budget option.

Cohle Wed 06-Nov-19 10:22:01

I think you'd be better picking and choosing products across a variety of ranges rather than trying to meet all of your requirements from Beauty Pie.

I found the fact that it's a subscription service rather tying personally.

slipperyeel Wed 06-Nov-19 13:24:53

I really like the Japan fusion range and I have super sensitive skin

It might be worth joining the beauty pie Facebook group and asking there

AFistfulofDolores1 Wed 06-Nov-19 19:12:07

Thank you, everyone! So useful!

I think I'm going to give BP a miss, but may well investigate some of your other alternatives to Dermalogica if I have to. But frankly I'd rather scrimp with something else than give Dermalogica up entirely! smile

plunkplunkfizz Thu 07-Nov-19 20:59:58

Thank you to whoever recommended the Daily Microfoliant dupe from Waitrose. Got some today and really impressed. And so cheap too!

Bananashake Fri 08-Nov-19 02:33:59

Just be aware that the daily microfoliant from dermalogica is a physical Exfoliant and a chemical Exfoliant. So a product may feel the same but it is likely to be a physical Exfoliant only without all the extra skin brightening and chemical pore cleansing ingredients.

plunkplunkfizz Fri 08-Nov-19 07:31:52

I know, thanks.

boatyardblues Fri 08-Nov-19 08:29:46

Can someone post more details of the Waitrose exfoliant & a picture if possible please. My DS would really benefit but I can’t bring myself to share my microfoliant.

plunkplunkfizz Sat 09-Nov-19 09:47:21

If you Google “Waitrose exfoliating powder” it pops right up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »