Talk

Advanced search

You know when yuo see a woman who just looks amazing and you think I have to have that dress?.....

(43 Posts)
DrNortherner Thu 16-Aug-07 19:45:26

Well I had one of those moments last week. Saw a woman in a very simple black dress but she looked fabbola, and I want one for my birthday night out next week.

It was a black jersey type dress quite short (above knee), 3/4 sleeves and a very deep plunging V. It was quite voluminous and she had a huge brown belt around her waist and fabbola leopord print peep toe heels.

I have the belt and shoes and I want a dress like that, I guess it could also be worn over jeans as a tunic.

OK, where do I start?

Also, if you see a woman looking fab is it odd to tell her?

JeremyVile Thu 16-Aug-07 19:46:16

Dont know.

and

Yes.

gordieracer Thu 16-Aug-07 19:46:52

Miss Selfridge have a few like that on their website I think.

RubySlippers Thu 16-Aug-07 19:47:10

if i like someone is wearing i mention it
usually in a conspiratorial whisper...
people like compliments and they always tell you where they bought it from

Dior Thu 16-Aug-07 19:48:06

Message withdrawn

JeremyVile Thu 16-Aug-07 19:49:59

Agree that you can say i love your shoes/hair/dress etc, but not just a general you look fab to a stranger.

maveta Thu 16-Aug-07 19:50:02

I don´t think it´s odd. Maybe if you had to run to catch up with them in the street and grabbed them. That would be odd. But if you managed to casually go up and say you loved their dress and where did they buy it.. they´d be really flattered, I would be anyway..

maveta Thu 16-Aug-07 19:50:32

agree with Jeremyvile, that would be weird.

littlerach Thu 16-Aug-07 19:51:25

I had 2 paople ask me last weekend where I had bought my top from, and how lovely it was.
Felt rather flattered.

janeitebus Thu 16-Aug-07 19:53:12

I wouldn't tell her that she looked fab per se, but I would (and have) said something like "Ooh I love your dress/bag/shoes" etc.

Have had a couple of people say something like that to me in the past and it gives you such a buzz! Even had a girl cross the street to ask where I'd got my tights from once!!!!

Black jersey dresses - maybe Warehouse or Oasis?

Aitch Thu 16-Aug-07 19:58:22

oooh i so would tell a stranger they look fab, particularly a woman, if they look fab. why wouldn't you? [confused]
i love it when strangers compliment me, so why wouldn't i share that around?

ahundredtimes Thu 16-Aug-07 20:03:19

Aitch you are such an utter, unreconstructed FLIRT.

Aitch Thu 16-Aug-07 20:04:52

have you lost weight, 100, or is it a new haircut? either way you are looking edible...

Bluestocking Thu 16-Aug-07 20:09:39

I would tell a woman she looked great if she really did - I have done so lots of times - and even men too! They always love it. And you can definitely ask where their dress/bag/shoes are from too, and what their perfume is - but maybe not all at once, that might be a bit <whisper> stalkery.
By the way, Aitch, that fascinator is gorgeous on you.

ahundredtimes Thu 16-Aug-07 20:12:57

<slips behind newsagents counter>

Ha ha. And the same to you. God actually Aitch you are looking really amazing - have you been away?

<reaching over counter to touch arm>

i love that top. I can never find things as nice as that.

Rhubarb Thu 16-Aug-07 20:14:07

hundredtimes - when have you met my mother exactly? Not that I'm following you or anything! But I have to know!

princessmel Thu 16-Aug-07 20:14:52

I always comment on clothes if I like them. I usually ask where they're from too. People like it. I do when it happens to me.

It usually happens when I'm wearing stuff from primark.

Rhubarb Thu 16-Aug-07 20:17:41

Oh right, you didn't! Just read other thread, ignore me then.

BTW, I AM that woman.

Aitch Thu 16-Aug-07 20:18:56

This old thing? och i've had it for aaages, i'm glad you like it, thank you. <sparkles with joy> <heart lifts> <cheeks colour>
can i ask what colour your nail polish is, btw, i've been looking for one just like that. <twinkles>

(works for most situations)

although a dishy bloke flirted like crazy with me recently and i did find myself flapping my wedding ring in his face rather. i like having two feet of plywood and fifty copies of the Glasgow Herald between me and the object of my flirtation.

Mommalove Thu 16-Aug-07 21:39:45

Message withdrawn

Aitch Thu 16-Aug-07 22:05:35

mommalove, have you lost weight? or is it a new haircut? whatever, i think you are looking younger...

GreatGooglyMoogly Thu 16-Aug-07 22:23:00

this one?

Mommalove Sun 19-Aug-07 01:28:55

Message withdrawn

Aitch Sun 19-Aug-07 11:33:48

y'see? putty in my hands...

Clary Sun 19-Aug-07 11:45:04

I always ask people where they got stuff I like.

On hols I asked s/one where she got her great flipflops and they were from Peacocks! Bet she was pleased that they were a bargain and caught a stranger's attention.

Is this flirting then? <embarrassed>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now