Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone ever solved non-existent toenails?

(15 Posts)
QuimReaper Thu 17-Oct-19 20:16:15

My little toenail basically doesn't exist, and the other ones seem to sort of Peter out into skin towards the edges, they have no substance at all. I was clipping them the other day and realised half of my big toenail on one foot fro, about halfway up wasn't attacked to the nail bed so I just clipped it off! The last few weeks I've been religiously creaming my feet and sleeping in socks (first flexitol, now the similar stuff but in cream form) in an effort to fix all the dry skin (my feet are a delight grin) and I wonder if I've been sort of "melting" my toenails with all the moisturiser. I also aim for 15-20K steps a day and it's taking its toll. Last summer two of my toenails came off completely after a huge amount of walking.

Thing is when I get a pedicure they seem to "find" ten toenails, so I feel like they can be fixed. I'm useless at pedicure stuff but surely I can beef them up a bit. I've got Nail Envy on them right now but wondered if anyone else has come back from non existent toenails?

MikeUniformMike Thu 17-Oct-19 20:45:17

I have the little toes with no nail thing.
The toenails falling off with exercise suggests that you are leaving your toenails too long and your shoes too small.
Runners need to go up a half size in their running shoes.
How you lace your shoes is important - you can lace them in different ways to solve problems
www.self.com/story/lacing-hacks-running-shoes-more-comfortable
I would go to a running or outdoors shop to get my gait analysed.

I wouldn't put the cream on my toenails. I think that some handcreams wreck my fingernails.

shitpark Thu 17-Oct-19 22:37:31

I go up a complete size in running shoes, yet lost a toenail last week. At lest its winter and I can hide in boots

MikeUniformMike Fri 18-Oct-19 08:41:44

shitpark ugh!. I'd look at the lacing. It can make a difference.

QuimReaper Fri 18-Oct-19 09:06:47

I haven't run in years blush It's just walking. I do think my Converse were to blame last year though: in that insane heatwave my feet swelled and they were definitely tight.

My nails are never too long though, chance'd be a fine thing!

MikeUniformMike Fri 18-Oct-19 18:12:53

You need better shoes than converse for walking. They don't give enough support.

GeePipe Fri 18-Oct-19 18:15:29

I habe tiny shrinking nails on all of my toes 😂 its weird and im glad im not the only one. When i cut them theres barely a slither left anymore.

MikeUniformMike Fri 18-Oct-19 18:19:18

Get yourself to a shop that does gait analyis and have them recommend shoes. Tell them that you want them for walking.
Neutral or cushioning. You can order them off the web.
Makes like asics, NB, saucony etc usually have nice ones but avoid the fashion ones.
Not tried them but merrell and salomon are meant to be good.

user1471504234 Sat 19-Oct-19 08:29:54

A podiatrist told me not to use Flexitol every day as the urea will soften the skin (and no doubt the nails!) too much. There is a reason we have tougher skin on our feet!

QuimReaper Mon 21-Oct-19 21:05:07

Interesting user! I've only been doing it 4 nights a week for a short while, so it's obviously not the whole story, but not helping.

Chewbecca Mon 21-Oct-19 21:38:36

Is it better when you have a pedicure because they push your cuticles back?

QuimReaper Tue 22-Oct-19 10:55:57

Chew I suspect they get rid of a lot of detritus to expose a nail! blush Especially my little toenail and the one next to it, but they seem to make my big toe look a lot neater and more present too. I honestly don't know how they magic a little toenail out to be able to paint it, it's witchcraft.

QuimReaper Tue 22-Oct-19 11:32:29

I've just had a lightbulb moment - I have a fungal nail infection! shock Explains the slight discoloration (which I thought was trauma) and the fact that a big corner of my big toenail lifted away when I was trimming last week!

Argh, in trying to make the bottoms of my feet look less like an elephant's hide I've probably fostered a whole colony of fungus!

QuimReaper Tue 22-Oct-19 11:43:03

Oh but apparently the urea will soften the nail and make any anti-fungals I use more effective.

But will also soften my nails so they keep growing all flaky and bendy.

confused

CointreauVersial Tue 22-Oct-19 13:20:18

DD2 has the non-existent little toe nail thing - she's really self-conscious about it, to the point where she won't wear sandals or flip flops. No idea what can be done, though.....if it ain't there, it ain't there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »