Talk

Advanced search

So today I've finally ditched jeans

(16 Posts)
fatulousatforty Thu 17-Oct-19 14:10:57

I'm very menopausal and can't get comfortable in jeans anymore so I've just bought 7 different monochrome shirt dresses a pair of boots,a pair of trainers, a biker jacket and a wool coat to see me through autumn and winter.
I'm just going to get some lounge wear for at home and hopefully will now be comfortable and semi stylish.
Anyone bought anything nice lately they would like to share?

bellinisurge Thu 17-Oct-19 14:14:12

Nydj jeans are bloody brilliant. Second hand off eBay if you , like me, can't afford new.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 17-Oct-19 14:48:53

I'm interested in seeing your shirt dresses - love those

I'm wearing a lot of tunic dresses and tights (snag ones so they don't fall down). I've also got a hormonal tummy which is flat in the morning and goes up and down all day.

So I Wonder Woman my tights (second pair of pants over the top) grin

UpToonGirl Thu 17-Oct-19 14:57:55

I ditched all trousers and jeans back in May time, haven't looked back yet! Even at my slimest I've always struggled to find jeans to fit my shape but at 3 stone heavier than a few years ago along with a delightful C-sec overhang jeans were not only totally unflattering but were really uncomfortable.

Summer was relatively easy, midi/maxi dress. Over the last few weeks I've bought a few dresses which go with boots and I'll add tights when it gets a little colder.

I've been buying my dresses (all midi) from Warehouse, Oasis and Monsoon. Hush and Mint velevt have a few nice ones in at the moment but I'm waiting for a sale.

youllhavehadyourtea Thu 17-Oct-19 16:35:54

I'm also very menopausal and I've been doing a wardrobe overhaul this week ( off work, half term) and have got rid of all my jeans too.

I'm loving all the elasticated waistband trousers that are available at the moment - much easier than jeans!

Your new wardrobe buys sound brilliant. I'm very envious of your ability to create a 'capsule collection', it sounds very chic.

manicmij Thu 17-Oct-19 17:22:39

Have you tried Bon Marche. Waistband elasticated at back. They have trousers and jeans and are not expensive. I have blue and black straight leg (Sara) trousers. They do fade a bit but I wait until I have 2 or 3 pairs needing done and use Dylon in the washing machine. Gives them a new lease of life.

Sallygoround631 Thu 17-Oct-19 18:48:16

I quit jeans this summer too. I was never convinced they worked for me but found them so convenient, especially in winter.

Now I am struggling but taking it slowly - not buying too much at once. Wearing winter weight skirts (cord, wool) with merino jumpers, sometimes pleated skirts but do find they snag really easily.

Having trouble with coats as was previously a barbour was or rain Mac kinda person, so adapting to new lengths is trying. Cannot find a longish wool coat anywhere that has decent quality for the price.

On feet I wear my docmartens flora boots, or patent derby shoes.

My dubarry boots are feeling lost and rejectedsad

Sallygoround631 Thu 17-Oct-19 18:52:17

Oh, you asked us to share -

I bought a navy cord mini from cos.
Navy cord midi from white stuff sale.
Gorgeous Laura Ashley 100% wool midi in navy/brown tartan from eBay.

Merino and wool tights (cos and toast)

Really love toast and Margaret howell but their clothes seem to swamp me. I suppose that’s a good thing or else I might end up bankrupt!

dudsville Fri 18-Oct-19 07:21:52

That sounds like a comfy wardrobe op. I will consider it for myself!

thetardis Fri 18-Oct-19 07:30:28

longish wool coats are ten a penny on ebay. i have a gorgeous riding coat/military hybrid style, double breasted with a wider "skirt". heavy on the hanger but light as a feather to wear. it's a brown herringbone and tbh wearing with shades in the sun yesterday i did feel a bit like a failed pi :D

fortyfifty Fri 18-Oct-19 10:39:52

I feel I spent the past few winters living in jeans whilst not in work so am trying to build other items into my wardrobe this year. I spend a lot of time watching kids sports and standing around in the cold so I bought some of the Uniqlo ultra heat leggings/trousers. They're really comfortable, warm and more flattering than a pair of jeans. If they had them in navy I'd be buying a second pair.

://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/product/women-heattech-ultra-stretch-leggings-trousers-418873.html?dwvar_418873_color=COL31&dwvar_418873_size=

Sallygoround631 Fri 18-Oct-19 12:38:04

I find eBay impossible to search, can anyone advise?

I put in my request and this type of crap just fills the results

gingersausage Fri 18-Oct-19 12:45:26

@Sallygoround631 set your filters to “used” “new without tags” and “UK only”. It will filter out most of the dross. I find eBay much easier to use on the app rather than the web page too.

gingersausage Fri 18-Oct-19 12:48:52

I got 96 results using those parameters on your search. There’s still some dross, but a handful of nice coats.

Sallygoround631 Fri 18-Oct-19 12:51:59

Thanks @gingersausage - I did manage it, but after filtering for size only a few came up. It’s one of those luck things I suppose.

CountFosco Fri 18-Oct-19 13:21:45

I've bought the following recently:
Slouchy rib tie cardigan from Jigsaw
Assymetric dress from COS, half price in the sale so not on website anymore, wanted a cotton dress for my half term holiday and love it. Also, was very impressed that they now have (presumably instagram) photos of real people in the clothes at the bottom of the page thereby making it much easier to work out what the clothes will look like on someone of normal height and healthy size.
Harem pants from Hush
Skinny jeans from M&S.

I now feel the need to buy something that's not navy!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »