Talk

Advanced search

Another winter coat disappointment!

(49 Posts)
Floralmoral Wed 16-Oct-19 19:14:52

I ordered this coat:
www.navabi.co.uk/product/hooded-wool-coat-59878/?colorcode=2400

I am so disappointed! It looks cheap, it’s much thinner than I initially expected and despite being the right size (I ordered slightly bigger to allow for massive jumpers) makes me look like a giant sausage because it seems to be clinging to the body, if that makes sense.

I love the shape, the length and the massive hood. Can you help me find something similar please? Size 18 and tall, budget is £200. TIA

chasingseagulls Wed 16-Oct-19 20:59:34

I'm not surprised you're disappointed, it looks cheap because it is cheap. It's almost entirely crap manmade fibres. Polyester isn't going to keep you warm. Really misleading of them to put a big blurb about the wonders of wool when it's only 5% of the fabric content.

For a £200 budget you can do much much better and probably get an 80% wool content and a much better quality cut. Have you looked at M&S? I'll be getting their next lot of 20% voucher codes tomorrow, if you find one I can send you one of you like?

Sallygoround631 Wed 16-Oct-19 21:05:10

Yes, some of the coats at M&S this season are much better than the other high street options. I am puzzled as to how low they can go before people just quit buying such badly made, overpriced crap.

At a higher price point there’s maxmara and toast, but even a few of the £370 and up offerings at toast are 50% man made fibres.

LittleWingSoul Wed 16-Oct-19 21:18:22

Oh that is cheeky, calling it a wool coat! I can see with why you'd expect more from that price, but you can even see the polyester sheen in the photos! Sorry, no help at all.

Floralmoral Wed 16-Oct-19 21:58:28

Ha, I suppose I should have checked what it’s actually made of angry I only have myself to blame here.
I’ll have a look at M&S, thank you. chasingseagulls that’s really kind of you, I’ll have a look just now, the code would be lovely thanks

Floralmoral Wed 16-Oct-19 22:04:14

Sallygoround631 being size 18, I don’t tend to look at higher end brands, do they even cater for fatties like me? grin
I have a couple of really decent coats in my wardrobe but they’re sadly size 14.. maybe next year <sigh>

teta Wed 16-Oct-19 22:09:26

I always go for 109% wool or wool/Cashmere mix in my winter coats. Only because synthetic fibres really attract fluff and I hate it. You do need to pay over £100 and possibly up to £150. I've bought wool coats from Jaeger and Max & co via BrandAlley . Also Tk Maxx is worth looking at and M&S plus H&m online. Although I find M&S coats never sit right on me.
I used to buy Maxmara coats when I was young and they always lasted for years and didn't date. I can't afford them now but I still buy the very best ones I can afford.

SharonBotts Wed 16-Oct-19 22:10:52

Off topic - but how do you get 20% off vouchers at M&S...? Please share smile

Moominfan Wed 16-Oct-19 22:12:22

Depop have some beautiful vintage wool coats, if that's your cup of tea

SyrilSneer Wed 16-Oct-19 22:15:36

@sharonbotts I have a code I can share with you if you like!

partysong Wed 16-Oct-19 23:21:37

Uniqlo and Zara will also do your size (I'm a 20 and can shop in both)

Floralmoral Thu 17-Oct-19 10:22:04

Excellent, thank you! I wouldn’t even think of Zara tbh.

marmiteloversunite Thu 17-Oct-19 10:26:25

I have just bought this from M&S in an 18. I love it. Just the right slouchyness! I know it might be too bright for some but I was bored of all of my navy/grey coats.

Sallygoround631 Thu 17-Oct-19 11:43:48

@floralmoral Toast do a great range of sizes, as Do M&S.
No idea about maxmara though as I don’t shop there.

Still, apart from one coat ive seen at M&S, barely any I have seen at all this past few years are worth the price tag sad

No hoods either!

JellyfishAndShells Thu 17-Oct-19 11:52:27

I went to try on a coat in M&S recently - great colour, nice cut. But unlined - and not in a cut that worked for being unlined like a slouchy or ‘coatigan’ or wrap. I tried it on just to see the colour but it hang so badly. And all synthetic. Ugh. The lined styles were only £10 More expensive but yuk colours.

Floralmoral Thu 17-Oct-19 13:37:05

I love the bright shade marmiteloversunite.
Unfortunately I need something boring and black/dark grey just now.

I really wanted a coat with a hood but doesn’t look like that’s going to happen sad

GeorgianaDovesHouse Thu 17-Oct-19 18:01:45

The fabric of some overcoats in Marks - probably containing quite a bit of wool - feels rough and cheap. Take a handful and watch it crease.

partysong Thu 17-Oct-19 19:54:00

Zara has a black one with a hood (sorry no time to search and link now)

justasking111 Thu 17-Oct-19 19:57:59

A coat is something I never buy online. I have to physically see and feel it, then try on. I fancy a new coat this year has been years since I bought one. Will have a look around tomorrow.

justasking111 Thu 17-Oct-19 19:58:50

I cannot open the link think mumsnet have crashed the site grin

partysong Thu 17-Oct-19 20:25:36

https://www.zara.com/share/belted-coat-with-hood-p03046269.html?utmcampaign=productShare&utmm_medium=mobilesharingg_iOS&utmsource=redd_social_movil&v1=17902219

CountFosco Thu 17-Oct-19 20:35:35

Boden has wool coats for under £200. Not as good as they used to be eyes 10 year old boiled 100% wool coat sadly but OK. You need to go for the British Tweed these days to get 100% wool: here.

Ohyesiam Thu 17-Oct-19 20:39:56

Tk maxx

Brexitstash Thu 17-Oct-19 20:49:03

Manteaux? 100% wool coats, usually just over 200, and go to size 20.

DontCallMeShitley Thu 17-Oct-19 21:06:47

Max Mara coats are generously sized. I had one with a hood a while back.

You could try Ebay for one if you like them. Ask for exact measurements if they are not listed.

TKMaxx seem to have lots of jackets at the moment but no coats.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »