Talk

Advanced search

Jigsaw making me happy with its women of colour and age

(14 Posts)
smallgreyelephant Thu 10-Oct-19 10:45:59

Great to see age and colour represented on its website. Thumbs up.

DameDoom Thu 10-Oct-19 14:37:00

Could not agree more - am obsessed with the silver-haired woman. She looks incredible and I have just ordered the forest green leather trousers as a direct result of her fabulousness. It’s a shame they are only online though as would like to try in store. I’ll probably look a state but she looks wonderful.

Musicforsnorks Thu 10-Oct-19 19:24:45

Love the ladies in the new toast lookbook too.
Marketing gimmick says my inner cynic but still welcome.

TeaAddict235 Thu 10-Oct-19 19:46:13

Amen

It's nice to finally find clothes that you could actually see yourself in. And not have to hazard a guess and buy that ^baby pink/^blue top for it to look totally wrong on you and your complexion.

Loving the silver hair and the number 2 hairlines (big chop).

....they must have a new artistic director or summat grin

Floisme Fri 11-Oct-19 08:25:21

I'm obsessed with the model in the Toast catalogue too.
Maybe the upside of the high street hitting the skids is that shops are finally starting to notice who their major customers are.

At the risk of sounding picky I'm a bit hmm at 'woman of age'. There's no need to come up with another way of describing us. Middle aged and old are fine.

banivani Fri 11-Oct-19 08:50:10

Oh wow they are gorgeous! I'd ideally like someone a bit fatter too (like myself) to help my imagination.

I really hope it's a more permanent shift, I noticed an "older" model (maybe 30-ish) on Mango's website too earlier this year.

ZaraW Fri 11-Oct-19 09:27:20

I'm a cynic and also think it's a marketing gimmick. Though I'm happy to be proven wrong. Women can look fabulous at 18 or 80.

Floisme Fri 11-Oct-19 09:36:55

It's a marketing gimmick of course, but for once, it's based on a bit of real business sense.

TeaAddict235 Fri 11-Oct-19 10:46:52

Yes business sense and real life sense. Hop on to any bus/train/tram/tube today in a mid to large city and you will see a plethora of beautiful women of a variety of heritages and ages and abilities.

Question is, why has it taken so long?
Chief photographer has married outside of their race? (My friend's constant answer)
Head of fashion has a dual heritage child? (Also often suggested)
Head of photography is a person who has lived abroad and has been a minority and learnt to appreciate 'the other' beauty, returned home and sees the trees amidst the forest?
Beauty Editor is an ethnic minority?
CEO's ethnic minority wife had a word with him and gave him an ultimatum?

The possibilities are endless.

Or:
It's time we grabbed the 'silver pound and black dollar' approach took place in the boardroom?

quickkimchi Fri 11-Oct-19 13:01:00

Dame those trousers are beautiful, I was gutted when the rise was too low for me <misses point>

nothingwittyhere Fri 11-Oct-19 17:36:08

Be nice if they extended their size range as well, their stuff looks beautiful but as a tall fatty (large 16 or small eighteen) not much of it will fit me. (I'm just bitter.)

Palaver1 Sun 13-Oct-19 08:20:44

There has been a lot in the media world on this.
I know as my daughter is in advertising and sits on this sort of thing a lot she’s horrified on the lack of knowledge of ethic groups.
Marks and Spencer’s campaign bras etc
Also included true sized women of ethnicity.
The realisation that everyone has money to spend.
Never forgave a particular food manufacturer who refused to embrace ..To sell you can’t be sloppy anymore there is so much competition.
Lots also came out to coincide with BHM

NuzzleandScratch Sun 13-Oct-19 09:16:24

I do wish companies would start using smaller women, I hate it when you look at a clothing website and it says somewhere "model is 5'10" and wears a size 10". Right, so this skirt/dress/trousers is going to look nothing like that on me at 5'3". I appreciate these clothes look good on willowy types, but it bears no relation to the majority of actual women.

Palaver1 Sun 13-Oct-19 10:18:34

Nuzzle have you seen Zara.hmm.
Your right very right ethnic minority has just been given a look in.
Maybe you’ll be next.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »