Talk

Advanced search

Hair dyeing at home! Avoiding the blue purple tinge!

(11 Posts)
PrincessSparkle86 Wed 09-Oct-19 14:07:13

I seriously need to dye my hair again... I haven’t done myself In a long time as last time I did it went greyish purple! So I’m guessing I used a too ashy tone although it is a dye I had used before.

I currently have hairdresser highlighted hair but with serious root growth.. my hair is naturally mousy blonde

Can anyone recommend what sort of Shade blonde I should use to avoid the purple grey tinge?! Do I need a more golden blonde instead of an ashy blonde?

RacheyCat Wed 09-Oct-19 14:13:51

I guess you'll need to go for something warmer with a yellow/orange tone to it. I spend ages trying to get a blue purple tinge, tbh. grin

PrincessSparkle86 Wed 09-Oct-19 14:24:16

Yes that's what I was wondering... I do really like the ashy tones but just not that purple blue on myself 😂 I picked up a box dye the other day and put it back down!
I'm definitely going to do it though somehow

PrincessSparkle86 Wed 09-Oct-19 14:54:15

I'm also wondering if I should use colour b4 first?

rockingthelook Wed 09-Oct-19 20:38:10

Try a light beige blonde instead?

fiffaffu Thu 10-Oct-19 00:25:38

I use golden extra light blond shades

ThistlyPerf Thu 10-Oct-19 06:41:22

I would steer clear of the colour b4 having just had a rather traumatic foray into that arena. I am a natural blonde but been box dying the greys for years with a light ash blonde colour.

I don’t know what came over me but decided to try a nice rose gold shade for a change and ended up with patchy purple hair. In desperation I tried the colour b4 and the final colour was luminous yellow. I had to be fixed by a hairdresser (the yellow was worse than the purple btw).

Greenvalleymama Thu 10-Oct-19 09:19:57

If you do get a blue or purple tinge after using an ash blonde box dye, you can get rid of it by mixing the juice of a lemon with conditioner and leaving it on your hair for half an hour or so (really!).
I've been making this mistake for years, including a spectacular blue/ purple hair disaster before my wedding. All of which have been easily sorted with lemon juice and conditioner. It's probably not great for your hair but needs must sometimes.

fiffaffu Thu 10-Oct-19 12:09:31

Ketchup on hair after it's turned grey helps too

fiffaffu Thu 10-Oct-19 12:09:55

As in purple grey after ash dye

PrincessSparkle86 Fri 11-Oct-19 14:32:48

Thanks everyone!

I chose a more yellowy blonde and it worked well actually, I didn't use the colourb4!

So very pleasedsmile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »