Talk

Advanced search

Royal style: tours, rings and gowns galore, how could we possibly ask for more?

(1000 Posts)
QueenOfTheAndals Sun 29-Sep-19 23:38:32

Previous thread

QueenOfTheAndals Mon 30-Sep-19 08:03:21

@Horsemad 2 more days of H&M in SA and then W&K are out on Wednesday night for a
Pakistani cultural evening, so we may see a glam frock and jewels on Kate.

StartupRepair Mon 30-Sep-19 08:12:07

Checking in to the new thread.

Alwayscheerful Mon 30-Sep-19 08:20:08

Checking in, love the new thread title.

peridito Mon 30-Sep-19 08:41:43

justasking111 thanks for that link to SA paper .This story doesn't seem to have had much coverage here

www.thesouthafrican.com/news/meghan-markle-uyinene-mrwetyana/

Thank you for starting a new a thread Queen .

Myimaginarycathasfleas Mon 30-Sep-19 08:53:11

Thank you for the new thread Queen.

Do we even know who Harry's tailor is? I can live with the black socks, if only because the idea of him eschewing them altogether makes me shudder.

BertrandRussell Mon 30-Sep-19 08:55:18

I find the black socks disproportionately offensive. Particularly as they are often too short.

QueenOfTheAndals Mon 30-Sep-19 09:05:30

I think it's safe to say neither Wales brother has inherited his father's sense of style!

Pieceofpurplesky Mon 30-Sep-19 09:11:42

Thanks @QueenOfTheAndals

evilharpy Mon 30-Sep-19 09:12:08

Yay new thread!

BertrandRussell Mon 30-Sep-19 09:14:31

Yes- Charles dresses really well. I wonder how much one of his suits costs!

Boscoismyspiritanimal Mon 30-Sep-19 09:16:37

Thanking Queen and greeting fellow RSAG devotees from a soggy Ireland this morning

InvisibleWomenMustBeRead Mon 30-Sep-19 09:21:56

Thanks for the new thread.

Do Meghan and Kate get presented with a choice of outfits for the tours? Assuming they have personal stylists. Or do they go shopping (covertly or online)? Or how do they pick their clothes. I'd love to know how much is their own choice and how much is chosen for them!

DobbyTheHouseElk Mon 30-Sep-19 09:22:03

Checking in. Thank you @QueenOfTheAndals for the shiny new thread.

RoseQuartzGlow Mon 30-Sep-19 09:34:53

Continuing my campaign to get Harry to sack his tailor. And get a valet who knows that no gentleman wears black socks with a grey suit and brown shoes....

Yes! I am wondering if he doesn't have a valet at all . Certainly appears to be the case. I think he just gets up in the morning and shoves on whatever suit is lying about. He seems to have a wardrobe which looks pretty much identical. Likewise shoes. I wish he would shave, moisturise his face and put some intensive conditioner in his hair overnight.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Mon 30-Sep-19 09:51:31

I think there is a cocktail party for the last night in Jo’burg, so we may see a glam frock on Meghan.

I hope Kate wears a jewel encrusted shalwar kameez for the Pakistan reception. I’m really looking forward to her tour wardrobe, she Often wears traditional dress at least once and wears a lot more colour.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Mon 30-Sep-19 09:52:48

Yes- Charles dresses really well. I wonder how much one of his suits costs!
Bespoke suit: a few grand. But they will last for years.

IWouldBeSuperb Mon 30-Sep-19 09:52:50

That insta account is crazy @TipseyTorvey! But she's committed, I'll give her that!

Interesting to see the outfits on a 'normal' person though - do we think Kate has everything tweaked to make it look so much more perfect - or does she just wear them better?!

Horsemad Mon 30-Sep-19 10:10:08

Thanks @QueenOfTheAndals, I hope Kate pushes the boat out for the Pakistan reception.

BlingLoving Mon 30-Sep-19 10:38:16

Okay, the replikate thing is WEIRD. She does look quite good in a lot of th e Kate stuff, less so the Pippa stuff. But still.... WEIRD.

I think the SA press varies in its interest in this tour. But more importantly, I think the tour has raised the profile of these issues and charities internationally. Chris Ship wrote a piece to this effect commenting that he wouldn't usually lead the ITV news with a story about South Africa. And if that drives donations, interest, expertise to SA and these charities, that can only be a good thing.

Plus I do think that the royal family play an additional role behind the scenes in terms of connecting people and initiatives. Kate took a while to get there (but then, to be fair, she had few contacts of her own to start) but Meghan has gone all in on that from the start. So I would not be surprised if many of these charities see additional support in the form of other high profile visitors or expertise or whatever, organised or suggested by Meghan/Harry.

[As a side bar, I remember an amusing story told about Richard Branson (I think) and Nelson Mandela. The details are fuzzy now but basically, RB had donated some money or publicity or something and the two of them were at an event together to celebrate it. At this event, there was talk of the need for a new local school or library or some such thing, and basically Mandela turned to RB and said something like, "we really need this. Do you think you can help?". And RB told the person who told me the story afterwards that when Nelson Mandela publicly asks you to do something, you just do it. So he did! I think there is an element of that with the royals in that they can access these kinds of people and resources.

evilharpy Mon 30-Sep-19 10:40:59

@TipseyTorvey Funny enough I stumbled across this account over the weekend and wasted ages looking at it. It's mad that someone is THAT committed to copying Kate and Pippa's looks. And how does she afford it??

@IWouldBeSuperb I think Kate has everything tailored, even if only very slightly.

latedecember1963 Mon 30-Sep-19 11:21:45

In the DM Sunday Magazine feature on Kate's wardrobe that Frugal Kitty and I were brave enough to admit perusing, there's a lady called Mallory Bowling who admits to being obsessed with copying Kate's style.
She looked very nice, but I can't see the fun in trying to replicate someone's look. Surely it's more interesting to take an element of someone's style you admire and adapt it to your own persona / lifestyle?
Just copying reminds me of when I was in top juniors and loads of the girls wore tarten because they were Bay City Rollers fans.

FelicityFlutterby Mon 30-Sep-19 11:48:08

Thank you Queen! Checking in.

TipseyTorvey Mon 30-Sep-19 12:08:47

What's really odd is she even copies the maternity wear of both Kate and Pippa when she's not pregnant. What is the point?

Horsemad Mon 30-Sep-19 12:16:38

That is bizarre!!

SenecaFalls Mon 30-Sep-19 13:10:01

I expected SFF to sound like Javier Bardem but instead he's got a mud-Atlantic accent.

Much of his education was in North America and it shows in his speech.

And HH has an American twang!

He went to university in the States.

This thread is not accepting new messages.