Talk

Advanced search

Royal style: tours, rings and gowns galore, how could we possibly ask for more?

(1000 Posts)
QueenOfTheAndals Sun 29-Sep-19 23:38:32

Previous thread

SenecaFalls Sun 29-Sep-19 23:48:21

Thanks, Queen! And love your rhyming couplet. smile

itswinetime Sun 29-Sep-19 23:57:43

Thanks for the new thread going to get comfy ready for some more frocks please!

Gooseysgirl Mon 30-Sep-19 00:00:26

Checking in smile

RomaineCalm Mon 30-Sep-19 00:41:38

Thanks for the new thread. Bring on the frocks.

beanaseireann Mon 30-Sep-19 00:44:34

Placemarking

beanaseireann Mon 30-Sep-19 00:45:13

Oops- where are my manners. Thank you QueenoftheAndals.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Mon 30-Sep-19 01:18:21

Pmk

CurlyWurlyTwirly Mon 30-Sep-19 01:23:22

Maxima speaks
Not what I expected at all!
Her accent is to my ear, a mix of British, Dutch and a hint of Spanish.

JaimeBronde Mon 30-Sep-19 01:47:46

Thanks Queen

banivani Mon 30-Sep-19 05:31:43

Good woman yourself Queen! Starting off the thread with a gallery of Princess Madeleine’s wedding looks over the years

www.svenskdam.se/kungligt/bildextra-spana-in-madeleines-brollopslooks-genom-aren/

TipseyTorvey Mon 30-Sep-19 05:36:07

Early morning check in, thanks Queen. Did anyone read the very positive full page article about the royals in yesterday's Sunday Times? They were indicating that with all the recent negativity around Andrew and the queen that the Firm have gone for a full on charm offensive.

Do the men in grey coordinate that well between the different households? It does seem good timing but apart from Bea's engagement surely the rest was long planned?

BigGreenOlives Mon 30-Sep-19 05:48:10

Thank you for the new thread Queen.

AppleKatie Mon 30-Sep-19 05:53:21

Thanks Queen. Checking in!

TipseyTorvey Mon 30-Sep-19 05:55:15

I know it way back on the last thread but someone asked who are these people that buy what the royals wear and I just happened upon this young lady, bit bizarre but she buys everything Kate and Pippa wear and models it. Must cost a fortune https://www.instagram.com/p/B2_5tNpnuBF/?igshid=1dc0rorbj086n

UrsulaPandress Mon 30-Sep-19 06:16:44

Thanks for the new thread Queen.

Need some light in the dark.

latedecember1963 Mon 30-Sep-19 06:27:42

Thank you for the new thread, Queen.

Hairydilemma Mon 30-Sep-19 07:14:34

Thanks for the new thread Queen... checking in early in the hopes that I helps me keep up better than I have with recent ones smile

frugalkitty Mon 30-Sep-19 07:15:30

Thanks for the new thread Queen

QueenOfTheAndals Mon 30-Sep-19 07:33:19

@CurlyWurlyTwirly That's pretty much what I expected Maxima to sound like after all her time in the Netherlands!

But it's always interesting to hear these royals speak English. I expected SFF to sound like Javier Bardem but instead he's got a mud-Atlantic accent. Queen Margrethe sounds British, as does Prince Joachim but CPF sounds Danish. And HH has an American twang!

FATEdestiny Mon 30-Sep-19 07:59:21

Placemark

Horsemad Mon 30-Sep-19 08:00:49

Lovely new thread, thanks! 🙂

What royal events are on this week?

BertrandRussell Mon 30-Sep-19 08:00:49

Continuing my campaign to get Harry to sack his tailor. And get a valet who knows that no gentleman wears black socks with a grey suit and brown shoes....

QueenOfTheAndals Mon 30-Sep-19 08:01:24

Meghan has joined Harry for a Skype chat with a group of students in Malawi who are involved in a women's network. She's wearing the same green dress she wore to the polo over the summer but I agree with a PP who said it sometimes feels strange to talk about fashion when such important issues are being discussed! Still, that's the point of our threads so...

Horsemad Mon 30-Sep-19 08:02:21

Haha, Bert - PH def looks better in the dark suits imo.

QueenOfTheAndals Mon 30-Sep-19 08:03:21

@Horsemad 2 more days of H&M in SA and then W&K are out on Wednesday night for a
Pakistani cultural evening, so we may see a glam frock and jewels on Kate.

StartupRepair Mon 30-Sep-19 08:12:07

Checking in to the new thread.

Alwayscheerful Mon 30-Sep-19 08:20:08

Checking in, love the new thread title.

peridito Mon 30-Sep-19 08:41:43

justasking111 thanks for that link to SA paper .This story doesn't seem to have had much coverage here

www.thesouthafrican.com/news/meghan-markle-uyinene-mrwetyana/

Thank you for starting a new a thread Queen .

Myimaginarycathasfleas Mon 30-Sep-19 08:53:11

Thank you for the new thread Queen.

Do we even know who Harry's tailor is? I can live with the black socks, if only because the idea of him eschewing them altogether makes me shudder.

BertrandRussell Mon 30-Sep-19 08:55:18

I find the black socks disproportionately offensive. Particularly as they are often too short.

QueenOfTheAndals Mon 30-Sep-19 09:05:30

I think it's safe to say neither Wales brother has inherited his father's sense of style!

Pieceofpurplesky Mon 30-Sep-19 09:11:42

Thanks @QueenOfTheAndals

evilharpy Mon 30-Sep-19 09:12:08

Yay new thread!

BertrandRussell Mon 30-Sep-19 09:14:31

Yes- Charles dresses really well. I wonder how much one of his suits costs!

Boscoismyspiritanimal Mon 30-Sep-19 09:16:37

Thanking Queen and greeting fellow RSAG devotees from a soggy Ireland this morning

InvisibleWomenMustBeRead Mon 30-Sep-19 09:21:56

Thanks for the new thread.

Do Meghan and Kate get presented with a choice of outfits for the tours? Assuming they have personal stylists. Or do they go shopping (covertly or online)? Or how do they pick their clothes. I'd love to know how much is their own choice and how much is chosen for them!

DobbyTheHouseElk Mon 30-Sep-19 09:22:03

Checking in. Thank you @QueenOfTheAndals for the shiny new thread.

RoseQuartzGlow Mon 30-Sep-19 09:34:53

Continuing my campaign to get Harry to sack his tailor. And get a valet who knows that no gentleman wears black socks with a grey suit and brown shoes....

Yes! I am wondering if he doesn't have a valet at all . Certainly appears to be the case. I think he just gets up in the morning and shoves on whatever suit is lying about. He seems to have a wardrobe which looks pretty much identical. Likewise shoes. I wish he would shave, moisturise his face and put some intensive conditioner in his hair overnight.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Mon 30-Sep-19 09:51:31

I think there is a cocktail party for the last night in Jo’burg, so we may see a glam frock on Meghan.

I hope Kate wears a jewel encrusted shalwar kameez for the Pakistan reception. I’m really looking forward to her tour wardrobe, she Often wears traditional dress at least once and wears a lot more colour.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Mon 30-Sep-19 09:52:48

Yes- Charles dresses really well. I wonder how much one of his suits costs!
Bespoke suit: a few grand. But they will last for years.

IWouldBeSuperb Mon 30-Sep-19 09:52:50

That insta account is crazy @TipseyTorvey! But she's committed, I'll give her that!

Interesting to see the outfits on a 'normal' person though - do we think Kate has everything tweaked to make it look so much more perfect - or does she just wear them better?!

Horsemad Mon 30-Sep-19 10:10:08

Thanks @QueenOfTheAndals, I hope Kate pushes the boat out for the Pakistan reception.

BlingLoving Mon 30-Sep-19 10:38:16

Okay, the replikate thing is WEIRD. She does look quite good in a lot of th e Kate stuff, less so the Pippa stuff. But still.... WEIRD.

I think the SA press varies in its interest in this tour. But more importantly, I think the tour has raised the profile of these issues and charities internationally. Chris Ship wrote a piece to this effect commenting that he wouldn't usually lead the ITV news with a story about South Africa. And if that drives donations, interest, expertise to SA and these charities, that can only be a good thing.

Plus I do think that the royal family play an additional role behind the scenes in terms of connecting people and initiatives. Kate took a while to get there (but then, to be fair, she had few contacts of her own to start) but Meghan has gone all in on that from the start. So I would not be surprised if many of these charities see additional support in the form of other high profile visitors or expertise or whatever, organised or suggested by Meghan/Harry.

[As a side bar, I remember an amusing story told about Richard Branson (I think) and Nelson Mandela. The details are fuzzy now but basically, RB had donated some money or publicity or something and the two of them were at an event together to celebrate it. At this event, there was talk of the need for a new local school or library or some such thing, and basically Mandela turned to RB and said something like, "we really need this. Do you think you can help?". And RB told the person who told me the story afterwards that when Nelson Mandela publicly asks you to do something, you just do it. So he did! I think there is an element of that with the royals in that they can access these kinds of people and resources.

evilharpy Mon 30-Sep-19 10:40:59

@TipseyTorvey Funny enough I stumbled across this account over the weekend and wasted ages looking at it. It's mad that someone is THAT committed to copying Kate and Pippa's looks. And how does she afford it??

@IWouldBeSuperb I think Kate has everything tailored, even if only very slightly.

latedecember1963 Mon 30-Sep-19 11:21:45

In the DM Sunday Magazine feature on Kate's wardrobe that Frugal Kitty and I were brave enough to admit perusing, there's a lady called Mallory Bowling who admits to being obsessed with copying Kate's style.
She looked very nice, but I can't see the fun in trying to replicate someone's look. Surely it's more interesting to take an element of someone's style you admire and adapt it to your own persona / lifestyle?
Just copying reminds me of when I was in top juniors and loads of the girls wore tarten because they were Bay City Rollers fans.

FelicityFlutterby Mon 30-Sep-19 11:48:08

Thank you Queen! Checking in.

TipseyTorvey Mon 30-Sep-19 12:08:47

What's really odd is she even copies the maternity wear of both Kate and Pippa when she's not pregnant. What is the point?

Horsemad Mon 30-Sep-19 12:16:38

That is bizarre!!

SenecaFalls Mon 30-Sep-19 13:10:01

I expected SFF to sound like Javier Bardem but instead he's got a mud-Atlantic accent.

Much of his education was in North America and it shows in his speech.

And HH has an American twang!

He went to university in the States.

AppleKatie Mon 30-Sep-19 13:24:51

😃that instagram account. Wow.

Wetdogloveshubert Mon 30-Sep-19 13:25:38

Checking in, thank you @QueenOfTheAndals!

With the repliKate and other similar accounts, even if they do buy everything (the same or similar) themselves, they probably earn a small fortune in blog/insta etc revenue. Those are goldmines, if you know how to spin them.

LenoVentura Mon 30-Sep-19 13:28:03

Best thread title yet - well done!

FaithHowellsYellowCoat Mon 30-Sep-19 13:28:12

Going back to the powder blue dresses on the previous thread, I thought they reminded me of the Beauxbatons uniform in Harry Potter (Fleur Delacour’s school). I googled Beauxbatons to find a picture and Kate popped up! grin

AppleKatie Mon 30-Sep-19 13:35:29

😃at least we can rely on the sun for the really important news!

Hairydilemma Mon 30-Sep-19 14:06:02

Re Kate at this week’s reception, I really like this dress from the Asia tour, which I don’t think has ever been repeated. But I’m not sure on the international diplomacy etiquette on wearing a dress designed for a dinner in Malaysia for a reception about Pakistan?

Do royals tend to rewear formal tour gowns? - there were a few on the India tour I don’t think we’ve seen since. Maybe it’s not the done thing to roll them out again for other countries.

In any event, this week’s thing may not be formal enough for this one. But it’s one I’d like to see again.

GotToGoMyOwnWay Mon 30-Sep-19 14:06:18

Thank you for the new thread Queen wasn’t on the last one a lot but hopefully will be able to catch up at some point.

QueenOfTheAndals Mon 30-Sep-19 14:10:05

I think Wednesday's event may be cocktail dress rather than formal gown.

Hairydilemma Mon 30-Sep-19 14:13:59

I suspect you’re right Queen

Hairydilemma Mon 30-Sep-19 14:23:42

Along the same lines, have we previously shared our favourite ‘one hit wonders’ in the royal wardrobes? This dress, also from the Asia tour, is another favourite of mine that I don’t think has ever been worn again.

In fact looking at pics I really liked a lot of the Asia tour wardrobe - though appreciate it was many years (and three children!) ago.

I think Kate’s style may have moved on now so we may never see some of these dresses again - this is definitely from her Beulah/Temperley floaty skirted phase.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Mon 30-Sep-19 14:31:25

Only just looked at that Replikate Instagram account. shock
Stalker much?
How on earth does she manage to get hold of outfits which must sell out instantly ?

frugalkitty Mon 30-Sep-19 14:40:23

Curly in the supplement she said there's a group of Kate-a-likes and they buy a load of whatever the just have item is to sell to each other.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Mon 30-Sep-19 14:41:50

@frugalkitty
There is more than one unhinged replikate out there?!

QueenOfTheAndals Mon 30-Sep-19 14:52:17

@Hairydilemma I liked this look, simply because it looks like the cover of a romance novel set shortly after WWII!

frugalkitty Mon 30-Sep-19 15:01:57

@CurlyWurlyTwirly yup!!! grin

Hairydilemma Mon 30-Sep-19 15:24:00

@QueenOfTheAndals - totally!

Have just looked at that Replikate blog... goodness me!!

LaPampa Mon 30-Sep-19 15:27:16

The thing that replikate account above showed me was a stark reminder that things do not always just look good in themselves. Different things suit different people and different body shapes - and a lot of Kate’s stuff needs her height and also the kind of formal occasion that most of us don’t encounter so often.

Hairydilemma Mon 30-Sep-19 15:48:16

LaPampa absolutely. Shows why we all need to have our own style and while it’s nice to be inspired by others, wholesale copying isn’t always the route to success!

TipseyTorvey Mon 30-Sep-19 15:55:05

Oooh Queen that photo reminds me of room with a view. So elegant. Wonder if Kate might have professionally modelled if she hadn't met W.

Spudlet Mon 30-Sep-19 15:59:17

The instagram account is a teeny tiny bit bonkers, no?

paradyning Mon 30-Sep-19 16:54:07

That dress with the parasol was Jenny Packham. Kate really can do no wrong when Jenny dresses her. Her designs really suit her.

latedecember1963 Mon 30-Sep-19 17:15:57

I showed my DH the replikate in the DM supplement to show him my interest in royal style and beauty is tame by her standards.
His response was that it doesn't make me any less bonkers! Before anyone thinks I'm an oppressed wife, it was said with a twinkle in his eye. 😁

frugalkitty Mon 30-Sep-19 17:44:45

Liking Meghan's navy dress and red shoes combo today.....

frugalkitty Mon 30-Sep-19 17:46:27

Red slingbacks....

Spudlet Mon 30-Sep-19 17:51:22

Nice 👍

BertrandRussell Mon 30-Sep-19 17:52:38

And low heels! She must be listening to me!!

thisenglishlife Mon 30-Sep-19 17:54:59

Liking the Meghan dress today and the old Kate one with the parasol too.

paradyning Mon 30-Sep-19 17:58:56

Ooo I love those shoes. Sadly would not work just now in the pishing rain.

BertrandRussell Mon 30-Sep-19 18:11:37

Not clothes, but this is interesting and some people might like to join in. I’ve never heard of The Queen’s Canopy. Sounds very Elizabeth 1st [[ www.instagram.com/p/B3CNVZZFnCd/?igshid=k7ob9kafen3z trees]]

AdaColeman Mon 30-Sep-19 18:25:06

👑 👑 👑

SenecaFalls Mon 30-Sep-19 18:51:17

I love red shoes with navy.

hopeishere Mon 30-Sep-19 18:54:32

Love those pics of Kate!

Meghan looks great.

I'd expect to be more dressed up on her tour as she is the future Queen.

MotherofPearl Mon 30-Sep-19 19:01:30

The instagram account is a teeny tiny bit bonkers, no?

Totally agree @Spudlet! But I find it oddly compulsive scrolling through...

Really love Meghan's navy dress and red shoes combo. I think Leti wore that combo recently. I'll look for a photo.

MotherofPearl Mon 30-Sep-19 19:01:57

Bold fail - sorry! blush

UrsulaPandress Mon 30-Sep-19 19:03:06

Think Meghan has really shown her natural style on this tour. She’s looked so comfortable. Maybe because South Africans appears to be ignoring them

MotherofPearl Mon 30-Sep-19 19:04:02

Yes, here is Leti just this weekend:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B22FOL3IoZE/

I agree with @SenecaFalls that red shoes with navy looks great.

BertrandRussell Mon 30-Sep-19 19:12:31

“I'd expect to be more dressed up on her tour as she is the future Queen.“

Yes- obviously she needs to spend megabucks on her wardrobe. Perfectly understandable.

hopeishere Mon 30-Sep-19 19:18:27

I didn't say spending megabucks. I said more dressed up. She could dress up more without spending a fortune / wearing designer.

WillowySnicket Mon 30-Sep-19 19:31:59

Meghan in casual is 👌🏻

That (crazy) insta made me realise that not everyone can pull off casual so elegantly.

Stravapalava Mon 30-Sep-19 19:36:03

Hi everyone smooshes up cushions and parks bum

Also looking forward to dressed up Kate!

MotherofPearl Mon 30-Sep-19 19:38:28

Ha! @Stravapalava your post reminded me of the smooshable potatoes/babies beloved by this thread!

RomaineCalm Mon 30-Sep-19 20:14:47

I really like Meghan's dress and shoes today - yes again she looks very comfortable and relaxed.

Would love to see Kate wearing this Jenny Packham dress again - it was such a change from her usual style although hard to believe it was 7 years ago. Sadly it's so distinctive I doubt it'll get a rewear.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Mon 30-Sep-19 20:54:21

Kate wore it to the Tusk awards last year

justasking111 Mon 30-Sep-19 20:57:23

Mutterings about a wedding for Beatrice in Italy, which is where I said she would go if she could. Fergie was scouting out there in August.

BertrandRussell Mon 30-Sep-19 20:57:54

That teal dress is gorgeous!

BlingLoving Mon 30-Sep-19 21:04:04

Having said (or thought it but not typing it up) that I've never bought anything specifically inspired by royals, I'm tempted by today's dress. It looked great on her and I'd like to give it a bash (even if I am a good few sizes bigger than her!)

paradyning Mon 30-Sep-19 21:04:38

That dress also proved popular amongst the euro royals too. Will see if I can find the ROOf SS post on it

paradyning Mon 30-Sep-19 21:12:11

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2013092114673/princess-alexandra-luxembourg-kate-middleton-dress/%3fviewas=amp

There were others who wore it too. Maybe Madeleine

paradyning Mon 30-Sep-19 21:13:51

http://www.luxarazzi.com/2013/09/those-bridesmaid-dresses.html?m=1

paradyning Mon 30-Sep-19 21:16:39

A pregnant Madeleine wearing it

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2013102415280/princess-madeleine-same-kate-middleton-dress/

Seems it was a very popular dress!

(On another note, I wish I did not recall random crap about dresses from 6 years ago and retained more important information in my brain)

This thread is not accepting new messages.