Talk

Advanced search

timing for buying new shoes for new term/year....

(30 Posts)
tranquilamanana Sun 12-Aug-07 08:38:45

i need to buy shoes for all 3 dc

they all need measured and are undoubtedly up a size (obv wont need to buy if not, but its been a few months, so reckon they are) anyway i digress.

ds1&2 need school shoes, school plimsolls, school wellies (they stay at school)... plus a home version of each (we have a lot of mud around here)

ds3 will just need wellies and 2 comfy easy shoes - doodles or whatever

so been saving he whole trip for as late in the hols as possible to get longest wear out of them... but has just occured to me (and my eldest being only just 4, i dont really have any experience of this) that several hundred thousand other mothers in the region may be doing same thing (agh)

so - do you think its mad or sensible to go and do it all tomorrow?

one word answers will do! thanks

charmkin Sun 12-Aug-07 08:41:49

do it
got mine 2 weeks ago
kept receipt, will change if grown

Jas Sun 12-Aug-07 08:44:22

I thought that, too (The bit about leaving it late so they get more wear/don't grow out of them over the hols) and Clarkes and Startrite had huge queues, and were sold out of lots of styles of school shoes by the last week. I'm not leaving it that late again, and wouldn't recommend it

Jas Sun 12-Aug-07 08:44:22

I thought that, too (The bit about leaving it late so they get more wear/don't grow out of them over the hols) and Clarkes and Startrite had huge queues, and were sold out of lots of styles of school shoes by the last week. I'm not leaving it that late again, and wouldn't recommend it

elasticsortinghandstand Sun 12-Aug-07 08:44:30

i don' think a 4 year old will grow that quickly beteween now and september, so go asap. if you leave it til early sept, like i did, the run out of shoes

tranquilamanana Sun 12-Aug-07 08:46:40

ooh blimey. had that brainwave just in the nick of time, eh?

blimey.
i had a brainwave.
<thud>

LadyVictoriaOfCake Sun 12-Aug-07 08:48:26

i'm doing it this week. was told by lady in clarks that most of their school shoes arrive this week.

wish my dd's had nice average width fitting feet, so i could get away with buying them off the peg in asda.

PeachesMcLean Sun 12-Aug-07 08:48:58

quite a useful brainwave too thanks, guess I'd better pull my finger out then.

Are you realy planning to buy 15 pairs of shoes???

elasticsortinghandstand Sun 12-Aug-07 08:49:21

and a reminder for the rest of us
i was so pleased with myself last year for going early august but have put it off, yet again

tranquilamanana Sun 12-Aug-07 08:54:05

if theyve all changed sizes, then yes peaches. mad eh? if not, i may get away with a bit less.

i fancy the crocs wellies for them all round tho... can i buy them online somewhere, once i know the sizes, like? anyone know?

elasticsortinghandstand Sun 12-Aug-07 08:55:42

can't you pass down wellies? and such

<nosey>

Ladymuck Sun 12-Aug-07 08:55:52

This is the last week where you have a chance of some choice (or at least can wait for sotck to come in). Personally I do school shoes/trainers etc as priority and sort out casual stuff nearer the time (or even via catalogue!)

tranquilamanana Sun 12-Aug-07 09:04:25

yes elastic. is my usual practice... but the mountain of wellies are nearly all crumbling in some way, and therefore leaking. leaky wellies are no good are they?

the ones that seem to last forever have jus slipped into no-boys-land size wise. two consecutive sizes, too small for sd2 but too big for ds3.

AufishFeQueen Sun 12-Aug-07 12:45:19

We are leaving it until the last week of the holidays to get the school shoes as money is tight at this time of the year, so we have to wait for our pay day. Have MOT and 2 of the kids birthdays to deal with before they go back to school!

LIZS Sun 12-Aug-07 12:47:21

We have a fitting appointment in the middle of next week ! Will take along their currnet school shoes and socks and they will check before selling any mroe .

MaloryTowersHasManners Sun 12-Aug-07 12:47:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tinker Sun 12-Aug-07 13:17:23

What they measure at and what actually fits are often 2 completely different things, I've found.

Bought some in TK Maxx last week - worth a look if you're not obsessed with Clark's or Start-rite

Gobbledigook Sun 12-Aug-07 13:24:01

Oh gawd - i was gonig to go week after next. Is that a huuuuuge error? God I've got to go on my own with all 3 as well - stressful to the max.

Malory ditto - they never have the right size unless you want the most heeedious pair of shoes in the shop

tranquilamanana Sun 12-Aug-07 14:00:28

like the sound of that malory

oh yes, will certainly be taking a big bag of shoes for them to test sizes of... 15 pairs new is worst case scenario

and ill be going on my own with all 3 too GDG - i feel your pain!

Hideehi Sun 12-Aug-07 14:45:57

Which shop orders them in ?
How very sensible !

FluffyMummy123 Sun 12-Aug-07 14:47:16

Message withdrawn

tranquilamanana Sun 12-Aug-07 15:09:08

i thought about today, but figured weekdays would be quieter?
will drag them off tomorrow.
may take dippy nanny... but is prob easier without her...mind you, if i leaver her at home she takes all day to do a small pile of ironing

am gonna try russell and bromley in salisbury coz they have a big kids dept.

Hideehi Sun 12-Aug-07 16:14:51

Glad i'm not the only one with a dippy nanny lol .... where are the non dippy ones kept

Speccy Sun 12-Aug-07 16:16:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tranquilamanana Sun 12-Aug-07 17:14:01

dunno hideehi, but if i figure it out, ill drop you a line

yes speccy. i would.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now