Talk

Advanced search

Royal style: the Sussexes in Africa - it's gonna take a lot to drag us away from them...

(992 Posts)
QueenOfTheAndals Fri 20-Sep-19 19:22:51

Previous thread

Tour itinerary

As always, let's critique the clothes and not the wearers.

RomaineCalm Wed 02-Oct-19 23:32:07

I know they're sometimes accused of being a bit too 'tartan-tastic' in Scotland but I love this picture of Camilla and Charles today.

QueenOfTheAndals Mon 30-Sep-19 07:55:51

@justasking111 I think a lot of royal tours serve as distractions these days. I was especially cynical when the Cambridges made a sudden trip to Northern Ireland at the time talk about Brexit and the backstop was at its peak.

QueenOfTheAndals Sun 29-Sep-19 23:39:22

New thread!

justasking111 Sun 29-Sep-19 23:14:25

A friend sent me a link to SA paper. She says people a bit bemused by the visit. They are more concerned with the banks retrenching and pending strikes. It is a light hearted temporary distraction.

www.thesouthafrican.com/

BlingLoving Sun 29-Sep-19 21:55:22

Long time poster who disappears sometimes because I run out of time and/or the phone app is so crap!! No Irish officially but pretty likely there's some Irish on my Dad's side. Have never been to Ireland though. It's been on my list for the entire time I've lived here and its embarrassing that I haven't made it yet.

My parents live quite close to the post office Meghan visited. They were sad they hadn't seen or suspected a thing! (it's cape town so believe me, usually info spreads like wildfire within neighbourhoods and communities).

itswinetime Sun 29-Sep-19 21:32:35

Oops I missed this last page blush
That was in response to the comment about Charles and Nicholas Witchell.

itswinetime Sun 29-Sep-19 21:30:55

@QueenOfTheAndals. Yes it was around the time his wedding to Camilla was announced or their engagement or something similar so definitely older than 17!

I agree they are all acting most of the time it's part of the job Some are just better than others I think.

QueenOfTheAndals Sun 29-Sep-19 21:20:42

I've heard the term "doesn't suffer fools gladly" be used for both Anne and her father. But that's usually a polite way of saying "rude"!

mathanxiety Sun 29-Sep-19 21:16:02

Anne couldn't get over herself enough to see if cracking a smile and being friendly might earn more donations for her charities.

That documentary was a really strange attempt to portray a gratuitously rude, graceless person in a positive light.

JaimeBronde Sun 29-Sep-19 20:13:05

grin grin grin

UrsulaPandress Sun 29-Sep-19 19:58:24

Not like the DM to make mistakes.

QueenOfTheAndals Sun 29-Sep-19 18:13:51

Yes that is Serena Snowdon @paradyning. You'd think the DM would wonder why Autumn was attending church with HM, Lord S and his two children!

Horsemad Sun 29-Sep-19 18:11:51

Serena who?

AdaColeman Sun 29-Sep-19 18:06:09

Nobody could do the rolling of eyes or the Bored Bored Bored look as brilliantly as Diana!

paradyning Sun 29-Sep-19 17:54:44

Sorry that DM link didn't work. It's this one.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7517475/Queen-dons-lime-green-hat-attends-Sunday-church-service-Balmoral-Autumn-Phillips.html

BertrandRussell Sun 29-Sep-19 17:45:52

Nobody does hats as well as her Maj. Such a shame about her shoes.

@derxa- that “cutting “ of my post is Daily Mail worthy.

paradyning Sun 29-Sep-19 17:29:57

The DM are saying this is Autumn sat next to HM. But it's Serena isn't it?
Queen attends Sunday church service at Balmoral with Autumn Phillips
https://mol.im/a/7517475

Anyhow. I like her hat whoever it is.

thisenglishlife Sun 29-Sep-19 17:06:16

Kate used to be criticised for looking openly bored (maybe she was, not that I'd blame her) at the beginning. I don't think it's a criticism you can make anymore.

A royal looking happy and involved is good, even if it is a 'performance'.

derxa Sun 29-Sep-19 17:06:12

Actually- I wonder if the reason people think Meghan looks fake is because she is better at performing than the others? I think you've hit on something here. grin

Spudlet Sun 29-Sep-19 17:03:07

Lol, maybe that’s it Bert.

Again, the difference between the ‘blood’ Royals and the married-ins though... can you imagine the pearl clutching if Kate or, god forbid, Meghan had let so much as an unfavourable look slip at a journo, never mind making a Prince Charles style comment?! I do believe that Sarah Vine would spontaneously combust (actually, do it, do it for the team, Duchesses!)

BertrandRussell Sun 29-Sep-19 16:54:05

Actually- I wonder if the reason people think Meghan looks fake is because she is better at performing than the others? Subconsciously we’re thinking “Oh, pull the other one-nobody enjoys watching folk dancing that much!” With the others we’re getting subliminal cues that show us they aren’t.

Doyoureallyneedtoask Sun 29-Sep-19 16:41:17

Charlotte looks like her I think.

Is the strop when she was in Washington? She was in her twenties.

Aragog Sun 29-Sep-19 16:29:40

It's like watching a performance

But that is what it is for everyone, when doing their job, to an extent isn't? Even more so when you know a camera will be trained on you the whole time.

Many people aren't really their true self when doing their job. They are playing a role.

I don't see her as being any different really to the way she is as any of the other members of the RF, especially when it is relatively new on in the role.

BertrandRussell Sun 29-Sep-19 16:09:28

this is the Ptincess Anne documentary with the strop in it. It’s brilliant. Some proper weasels of press people in it. Worth a watch if you have 50 minutes to spare.

BertrandRussell Sun 29-Sep-19 16:05:04

That’s brilliant. I think there used to be a 21 gun salute for a boy and 18 (or something) for a girl.....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »