Talk

Advanced search

Royal style: the Sussexes in Africa - it's gonna take a lot to drag us away from them...

(992 Posts)
QueenOfTheAndals Fri 20-Sep-19 19:22:51

Previous thread

Tour itinerary

As always, let's critique the clothes and not the wearers.

ItsJustTheOneSwanActually Fri 20-Sep-19 19:25:43

Meghan's dress looks v pretty - hope we get a good photo of her in it.

JaimeBronde Fri 20-Sep-19 19:29:09

Grabbing my seat & thank you Queen

ItsJustTheOneSwanActually Fri 20-Sep-19 19:30:18

Yes thanks for the new thread. Great title grin

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 20-Sep-19 19:39:20

Thank you @QueenOfTheAndals

And also for my little «gift»«grin
I’m going to share it with this thread so they too cannot unsee it!

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 20-Sep-19 19:42:58

@CurlyWurlyTwirly Who knew high-waisted y-fronts were a thing? 🙈

ItsJustTheOneSwanActually Fri 20-Sep-19 19:44:28

Jaysus shock

I'm not sure what the sheep or the chicken did to deserve that....

JaimeBronde Fri 20-Sep-19 19:46:11

OMG is all I can say 🤭 Curly

AudacityOfHope Fri 20-Sep-19 19:47:26

Checking in smile

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 20-Sep-19 19:48:36

Béa and Eug with some gorgeous hairstyles!

Balloondog Fri 20-Sep-19 19:48:36

Oh my eyes!! As someone else said what did the poor chicken do to deserve such treatment?! But my absolute favourite has to be #37 Xanadoooooo!!!

frugalkitty Fri 20-Sep-19 19:51:55

I was hoping to see this included! The Starsky and Hutch cardi......my mum knitted my brothers one each grin I was a mistake child of the 80s rather than the 70s, thank goodness! grin

I'm not keen on MMs dress in the promo picks, it might look better on her. I'm not sure a frou frou fluffy black net trick can possibly be worth £13.5k though, I could have knocked that up for her for much less grin

JaimeBronde Fri 20-Sep-19 19:54:21

I give you a young 007

Looking forward to seeing the wedding guest outfits in more detail.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 20-Sep-19 20:02:07

Unless they sell the photos, I’m not sure we’ll see a lot more of the wedding guests.
Here’s a couple, Katy Perry (again) and James Corden and wife.

UrsulaPandress Fri 20-Sep-19 20:02:09

<ignores retro shit>

FATEdestiny Fri 20-Sep-19 20:04:27

Checking in

paradyning Fri 20-Sep-19 20:21:15

Excellent work Arles!! I'm sure it will be in the DM in about 3 minutes with some price comment.
Can you spin your magic and work out what dress Bea is in please??

paradyning Fri 20-Sep-19 20:22:07

I shit you not. 6 minutes ago.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry arrive at Misha Nonoo's Rome wedding
https://mol.im/a/7486653

paradyning Fri 20-Sep-19 20:26:51

There's a video of Bea arriving with the bride on that DM link. The back of her dress looks greeny :gold in colour.

margotsdevil Fri 20-Sep-19 20:33:58

I really like Meghan's dress unworn on the website better than I do when the model is wearing it... don't know why! Am I the only one?

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 20-Sep-19 20:35:53

I feel exactly the opposite @margotsdevil!

margotsdevil Fri 20-Sep-19 20:38:37

I guess I just feel it isn't flattering on. Would be interesting to see how the DoS looks!

frugalkitty Fri 20-Sep-19 20:38:50

Another pic of Ivanka's dress. If we're commenting on the clothes not the wearer, this dress is absolutely perfect.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 20-Sep-19 20:40:26

Just been having a rummage around Instagram.
The Court Jeweller is worth following. She has lots of vintage pictures and plenty of royal jewellery photos.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 20-Sep-19 20:41:40

Meghan at the wedding

Boscoismyspiritanimal Fri 20-Sep-19 20:42:31

@QueenOfTheAndals thank you for the new thread.
On an unrelated note, visited my local M&S to visit the Meghan dress. Local in Ireland.
They had no idea what I was talking about.

MotherofPearl Fri 20-Sep-19 20:48:24

Checking in. Am in awe that Arles identified the dress so fast - amazing!

ChardonnaysDistantCousin Fri 20-Sep-19 20:48:42

I really don't like Ivanka's dress.

It's very soft and doughy.

MotherofPearl Fri 20-Sep-19 20:50:55

I love the word doughy... and I don't love Ivanka or her dress.

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 20-Sep-19 20:58:41

I normally love a caped dress (Gwyneth in white Tom Ford at the Oscars some years ago springs to mind) but don't like Ivana's cape. I think the neck tie detracts from the neckline of the dress. She was also looking disturbingly like her father in some of the DM photos confused

MilleniumHallsWalledGarden Fri 20-Sep-19 21:03:25

Inhave a new favourite tiara! Thank you CurlyWurlyTwirly for that link. 👑

RomaineCalm Fri 20-Sep-19 21:06:45

Love Meghan's dress - from the little I can see she looks beautiful in it.

Wetdogloveshubert Fri 20-Sep-19 21:15:52

My EYES! Those 70s ads are heinous, and remind me far too much of pictures of my parent's generation in that era. Wow.

I really like the look of Meghan's dress - there's lots of extra movement in the ruffles.

itswinetime Fri 20-Sep-19 21:27:57

Looks like Meghan went for a thicker lining to the dress than the image! I'm not a fan of the style no busy and I'm not a big fan of ruffles personally but I hope one day we may see her wear it again otherwise I think that's all we will see.

ChardonnaysDistantCousin Fri 20-Sep-19 21:29:23

She's brave.

Last thing I want is ruffles on my arse.

Lunde Fri 20-Sep-19 21:32:36

I'd like a good look at Meghan's dress. It looks lovely on the model but I'm wondering whether the flounces and net would swamp a tiny woman like Meghan (I have made this mistake myself).

Ivanka seems to be channelling a 1950s Kennedy compound vibe - I don't think it really suits her as it ages her

Ninkaninus Fri 20-Sep-19 21:36:22

LOL - as soon as we got onto retro fashions my thoughts went straight to Sir Moore’s sweater modelling pics! Glad to see someone else went there too. grin

paradyning Fri 20-Sep-19 21:38:23

Ivanka was channeling Grace Kelly when she got out of the car.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 20-Sep-19 21:43:35

A few more wedding guests

Karlie Kloss, Gayle King, Paul McCartney and wife

DevonUkelele Fri 20-Sep-19 21:44:03

That Valentino is $US13,500 - which comes up to nearly $17k in Australian money 😲. That's a lot of cash for a dress that will probably only be worn once.

Much as it pains me to say it, I think Ivanka looks stunning. Though I could do without the pussy bow neck thing.

Loving Bea's bejewelled headpiece too.

Harry is looking very like his father (Charles!) in this pic, IMHO.

LenoVintura Fri 20-Sep-19 21:46:16

My god, Ivanka utterly breathtaking (not commenting on her as a person). Stunning. Mr and Mrs Corden, tick, very nice, he's cool. Meghan, yep, tick. Can't see enough of the Yorks to comment. Orlando and Katy, nope, grubby.

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 20-Sep-19 21:49:52

Orlando's short trousers and loafers with no socks confused

hopeishere Fri 20-Sep-19 21:51:15

Ivanka dress doesn't fit around the bust by the look of it. Julia Corden looks gorgeous.

Why are Bea and Eug there? confused

Myimaginarycathasfleas Fri 20-Sep-19 21:52:09

I agree with LenoVintura except I don't like Meghan's Morticia Addams dress, however I will say her hair and make up are flawless.

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 20-Sep-19 21:54:03

@hopeishere old friends of the groom, apparently.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 20-Sep-19 21:55:25

old friends of the groom, apparently.

Old friends of Misha’s first groom

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 20-Sep-19 21:58:39

Yes of course @CurlyWurlyTwirly. And that groom is now with Maria Sharapova!

hopeishere Fri 20-Sep-19 22:00:22

Ivanka's cut her hair!

In the DM photos there's a lady wearing the same dress as Julia Corden but in a different colour.

FluffyCloudsInTheSky Fri 20-Sep-19 22:01:35

Checking in cake

Rhubarbisevil Fri 20-Sep-19 22:05:58

Will we see any other pics of Meghan or just the back view?

InvisibleWomenMustBeRead Fri 20-Sep-19 22:07:57

Can I join in - I don't like to comment on people but loving the commentary on the clothes. Not keen on the picture of Meghan's dress but would like to see what it actually looks like on her as I imagine it's gorgeous.

Love Ivanka's dress. Don't like Karlie Kloss's dress or Gayle King's dress. James Corden and his wife both look lovely - love her dress. Wish they'd all pose properly for us grin

ChardonnaysDistantCousin Fri 20-Sep-19 22:16:47

Why was Karlie Kloss carrying that huge handbag? Looked so odd with her dress and everything.

hopeishere Fri 20-Sep-19 22:21:52

I was wondering was it a present!

InvisibleWomenMustBeRead Fri 20-Sep-19 22:26:52

I thought the same @ChardonnaysDistantCousin - bag didn't go at all!

megletthesecond Fri 20-Sep-19 22:28:24

Trumps dress deserves to be worn by someone nicer sad.

BlingLoving Fri 20-Sep-19 22:36:51

That happened fast!

I hope we get to see more pics. Would like to see the bride fully. Why was Eugenia arriving with her? Is she a bridesmaid?

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 20-Sep-19 22:54:56

Unless guests upload pics to social media, I don’t think we’ll see many more photos...

Someone on Instagram spotted that Beatrice’s gold jacket was Misha Nonoo SS 2012

This also led me to the Instagram account York Sisters Closer
Not many posts but I love the York Princesses mad outfits!

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 20-Sep-19 23:12:40

They aren't afraid to take fashion risks, god love 'em!

JaimeBronde Fri 20-Sep-19 23:16:19

I hear Ivanka is quite nice in real life, she can't help having Trump as her father.

JaimeBronde Fri 20-Sep-19 23:18:45

I like Gayle King's dress, a beautiful colour which looks amazing on her.

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 20-Sep-19 23:25:08

She can't help it @JaimeBronde but she's quite happy to work for him and not speak out against his appalling policies.

JaimeBronde Fri 20-Sep-19 23:34:34

True Queen but it must be difficult.
One can love the parent but dislike their opinions/actions.

Now going back to H&M. They must have everything packed & ready to go to South Africa, seeing they're back from Rome tomorrow & off to SA on Sunday.
They have an engagement on Monday too.
Blimey I know SA is only 1 hour ahead at the moment but I'd be mainlining the Berocca this weekend & over the next few days.

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 20-Sep-19 23:50:21

I thought it was about 8 hours to CT but it's actually over 11! An overnight flight tomorrow evening would make the most sense. In first class they'll be able to get some sleep and the 1 hour time difference means no jet lag.

JaimeBronde Fri 20-Sep-19 23:54:33

I didn't realise it was 11 hrs on the plane. I thought it was 16.
Not that 11 hours is short.
But a night flight with a bed (first or business class) is a very good idea.

hotcrossbun4321 Fri 20-Sep-19 23:55:27

Gosh that's a well connected couple! So many celebs at their wedding. I loved Ivanka's dress - minus the pussy bow - much as it pains me to praise her. And loved Meghan's dress - a bit of a vintage eveningwear vibe which I loved. Hope we get some bridal pics

queenofarles Fri 20-Sep-19 23:59:20

Wow! Abramovich ex wife looks stunning, she is the one next to Karlie.
It’s actually funny when you finally realise that all the royals attending even when put together are the poorest guests grin
I actually feel sorry for M&H getting there by commercial , if ever there was a time to go on a private plane it’s this one. grin

StartupRepair Sat 21-Sep-19 00:03:27

Can't abide Ivanka. She is complicit in an evil regime.
Meghan's dress looks lovely. Have we seen the bride?

beanaseireann Sat 21-Sep-19 00:54:00

Thank you for the new thread QueenoftheAndals.
Ivanka looks amazing.- definitely channeling Grace Kelly.
What charmed lives these people appear to live.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sat 21-Sep-19 01:48:27

A little clip from Instagram showing the gate of Villa Aurelia
Whichever photographers took the Meghan photos must have cleaned up as they’re all over the internet.
Thé Trumpette must have been hanging around the gate a bit to make sure she was photographed.

BigGreenOlives Sat 21-Sep-19 06:04:06

Gosh, sorry to be so late, I’ve been at an amazing party, can’t tell you who was there.

Only joking. Thank you for the new thread Queen. Great detective work on the old thread.

The 70s clothes remind me of my father, uncle and their friends. I remember my dad’s 28th birthday in the early 70s and mt uncle was a lot younger so I saw lots of fun clothes. Giant patterned y fronts were definitely a thing, my mother used them as rags for cleaning after they were retired as underwear. My dad never had a poncho though sad.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sat 21-Sep-19 06:21:43

Flight to Cape Town was cancelled

Hope the journalists make it out there; we need our photos!
So I wonder if Harry and Meghan will be on the same flight as the journalists tonight?

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sat 21-Sep-19 06:25:51

Meghan is going to be talking about gender violence
Now raising awareness is a good thing; but it’s something Sophie has been working on for a long time.
I would like it if they coordinated their efforts and Sophie was given credit for her work.
( bit like the Heads together mental health campaigns)
Royal women speaking out against sexual / gender violence

TipseyTorvey Sat 21-Sep-19 06:26:35

Thanks for the new thread Queen. I think Ivanka does look amazing. I say that grudgingly as not keen on her taking seats at tables she shouldn't but I love the new hair. So much more sophisticated than the long blond style she usually has. Can't see enough of Meghan to be sure on that dress, she looks happy and gorgeous though.

paradyning Sat 21-Sep-19 07:21:06

Ivanka was pausing so photos can be taken.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sat 21-Sep-19 07:42:44

CP Victoria was wearing H&M to a Swedish dinner.
Love her!

QueenOfTheAndals Sat 21-Sep-19 08:11:13

I really hate the term "gender-based violence". Why not call it what it is? Violence against women and girls. And I'm a bit hmm at royal women going to Africa and giving speeches about it when there will be many African women who've been working hard in this field for years and years. It just seems a little patronising to me.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sat 21-Sep-19 08:25:16

I guess it’s like everything Royals do with their patronage’s; they raise awareness which I think can only be a good thing.
Who’d heard of smartworks ( as an example) prior to Meghan.?

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sat 21-Sep-19 08:27:05

My Fave Royal couple; Mette Marit and HottieHaakon. more adorable photos here

QueenOfTheAndals Sat 21-Sep-19 08:29:20

That's true but doing it in the U.K. is different as that's their back yard! Anyway, I'm sure Meghan and Sophie both mean well and it's not like either of them haven't previously expressed a commitment to women's rights.

QueenOfTheAndals Sat 21-Sep-19 08:32:43

Metre-Marit looks really well and HH looks great for a guy who spends most of his time in @frugalkitty's airing cupboard! I never really rated him before but he's getting better looking with age. Definitely up there with HCP and SFF on my Royal Totty list wink I could probably find a space on it for CPF too if I had to...

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sat 21-Sep-19 08:36:14

Fergie looking cute at a British Heart Foundation event.
However that red ribbon is a tad odd !

QueenOfTheAndals Sat 21-Sep-19 08:42:11

The ribbon makes me wonder if she's trying to hide any scars from "work"!!

StCharlotte Sat 21-Sep-19 08:46:48

Thanks for the new thread Queen (this phrase now comes up in predictive text grin).

And thanks to those who filled me in on whi Misha is.

CPV's is-it-silver-is-it-blue number is a rare CPV evening fail for me.

hopeishere Sat 21-Sep-19 08:50:58

The silver is a bit short.

Fergies red ribbon is ridiculous looking. Maybe she'd done a box dye and was trying to cover bits that had gone wrong.

QueenOfTheAndals Sat 21-Sep-19 08:53:51

CPV's dress reminds me a little of those chemises women wear under their dresses in Victorian dramas on the BBC. I think it's the neckline that does it.

queenofarles Sat 21-Sep-19 08:55:25

Never got the appeal of Haakon, King Felipe on the other hand is a total dreamboat. wink

H&M will visit a township straight after landing in CP. will Meghan address the issue there? Very sensitive topic to talk about in a township.

paradyning Sat 21-Sep-19 09:15:44

Mette-Marit looks well. Loving her ring too. Big old diamonds there

MilleniumHallsWalledGarden Sat 21-Sep-19 09:27:38

Weren't William and Kate meant to be launching a polar exploration boat on Thursday just gone? Did I dream that?

UrsulaPandress Sat 21-Sep-19 09:37:57

I read that.

QueenOfTheAndals Sat 21-Sep-19 09:43:56

You didn't imagine it @MilleniumHallsWalledGarden, that's this coming Thursday.

TokyoSushi Sat 21-Sep-19 09:44:21

It's next Thursday Millennium, my mum is going to see if she can see them!

QueenOfTheAndals Sat 21-Sep-19 09:45:52

W&K are also going to a Pakistani cultural event at the Aga Khan Centre on 2 October and their trip to Pakistan has been confirmed as 14-18 Oct.

MilleniumHallsWalledGarden Sat 21-Sep-19 10:09:37

Oh, it's next week. Thank you smile

BertrandRussell Sat 21-Sep-19 11:32:17

“And I'm a bit hmm at royal women going to Africa and giving speeches about it when there will be many African women who've been working hard in this field for years and years.”
I agree. I’ll reserve judgement til I read what she says.

Horsemad Sat 21-Sep-19 12:31:19

Ha, excellent title Queen! 🙂

AdaColeman Sat 21-Sep-19 12:49:42

I liked the glimpse of Meghan's dress, was it Valentino? I liked the bit of softness to her hair style too.

The Trump dress didn't quite work, too much fussy additions around the neckline, she should have been brave with a pair of scissors! grin

Don't like Fergie's look, that black bin bag look rarely works, but good for her for keeping busy in adversity.

justasking111 Sat 21-Sep-19 12:50:16

Well if Meghan and Harry raise oodles of money that does not get siphoned off I will be happy. A friend of mine works at Senebale has done for years Harry has done a lot of good there.

frugalkitty Sat 21-Sep-19 12:58:53

I know how to look after a man, Queen .....inside or outside an airing cupboard! grin

SenecaFalls Sat 21-Sep-19 13:01:13

Why not call it what it is? Violence against women.

I agree. But I disagree that people should perhaps refrain from addressing it in countries other then their own. It's everyone's business, especially every woman's business.

GotToGoMyOwnWay Sat 21-Sep-19 13:57:45

Thank you for the new thread Queen

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »