Talk

Advanced search

Good shampoos and conditioners that don’t make your scalp itch

(16 Posts)
eternalfun Wed 11-Sep-19 07:36:51

Does anyone have recommendations for shampoo and conditioner (separate, not 2 in 1) that don’t irritate my scalp? I seem to have a very sensitive scalp!

I also have very thick hair and it looks so much better with a decent shampoo and conditioner. However, I find that I get a reaction after about a weeks use of anything other than head and shoulders. The reaction is itchy scalp, small scabs and flakes (dandruff, I guess).

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

WilmaJean Wed 11-Sep-19 07:45:04

Try the Body Shop's Ginger Shampoo (they have a conditioner too).

NeedAUsernameGenerator Wed 11-Sep-19 07:49:38

I buy the Simple range for my DDs who have eczema because they're unperfumed. Do you know what it is you're allergic to though? Or is it just a return of dandruff? Maybe a stronger medicated shampoo or something on prescription would properly clear it up?

Jesse70 Wed 11-Sep-19 07:51:07

Do u wash your hair every day? If u get dandruff I would stick with the medicated head and shoulders they do do separate ones tho or u could just use a leave in conditioner after using your normal 2 in 1
I get build up with any other shampoos there ok for a couple of months then my hair just doesn't like them so I stuck with head and shoulders too and only wash my hair once a week and use dry shampoo in between washes
Sometimes I will use my partner's hair and body wash and not even condition my hair I think it gives it alot of volume for some reason

BikeRunSki Wed 11-Sep-19 07:51:20

Try a shampoo bar. I’m not suggesting you forever, but try. The one we’ve been using has cheated up DH’s psoriasis and has made my thick, dry. Curly hair awesome - it usually also needs a ton of conditioner too. this one. Try it, you might like it.

pinkprosseco Wed 11-Sep-19 07:52:02

Another vote for body shop ginger shampoo and conditioner or banana ones. Lush do some very gentle shampoo bars which are also great

Sooverthemill Wed 11-Sep-19 08:15:11

I usually use aveda shampoo ( damaged hair) and conditioner or l'occitane ( the verbena one) and although I do have a history of eczema and dandruff and very itchy scalp, neither of these irritate it. They are expensive but I look for offers. If my scalp ever gets bad again ( which it hasn't since I switched now for about 6 years) I use neutrogena dandruff shampoo for a few washes and it settles down. I just decided that the extra money was worth it for me.

eternalfun Wed 11-Sep-19 20:59:53

@NeedAUsernameGenerator I think it’s more than dandruff as it’s so itchy and gets scabby (delightful!)

@Jesse70 thats a good suggestion about using H&S separates. Hadn’t thought of that.

@BikeRunSki what conditioner to you use with the shampoo bar? I am attracted by that idea as I’ve gone back to soap on my body because of the plastic in shower gel bottles.

Everyone else - thank you. I’m going to try everything and see what works. It’s an expensive business because if something doesn’t work it’s after only about 3-4 washes so it means I waste the rest of the bottle.

BuzzShitbagBobbly Wed 11-Sep-19 21:20:33

The only one I found was actual anti dandruff formulations.

Tubbyinthehottub Wed 11-Sep-19 21:44:58

Could it be SLS in the shampoo ingredients irritating your scalp? I went through a phase of having an itchy scalp. I spent a fortune on all sorts of shampoos and realised I need a more natural formula without SLS in. The Faith In Nature ones work well for me and you might be able to find somewhere that does refills to save on plastic. I also like Jason for conditioner.

BikeRunSki Wed 11-Sep-19 21:52:51

@eternalfun, I have found that I don’t need conditioner with it.

Whoops75 Wed 11-Sep-19 21:52:54

Dandruff flakes are big and oily
Dry scalp flakes are like white powder

I have a very dry scalp and also a patch of dermatitis which is s bit scabby.
I have been searching forever for a shampoo and conditioner that helps or at least doesn’t make it worse.

At the moment I’m using moo-goo, it’s only been a week but so far so good.

HTH

sausagedogpookie Thu 12-Sep-19 01:29:26

Eucerin shampoo. There’s also a liquid,squirt-on-rub-in-leave-on type treatment (though it’s not a conditioner). Neither are cheap but both work,pretty much from the first one or two uses.
Can get it from Amazon or Boots,though Boots often do 3 for 2 on Eucerin products. (The hand cream and foot/heel cream work too.)

DominoStart Thu 12-Sep-19 18:30:34

I have the exact same reaction @eternalfun. Think it was the anti dandruff shampoo causing it. Too strong.
I have been using dermol 500 lotion rubbed into scalp at night, washed out in the morning after a friend recommended it for my skin. I googled it and discovered it can be used as a shampoo as well. Scabs have gone! Can't believe it. Now using faith in nature shampoo no SLS etc. Have brought a shampoo bar from lush to try soon. Also some ultrabalm from lush for scalp but not tried it yet as seems to be all better.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Thu 12-Sep-19 19:08:06

I have no flakes, but do get scabby (ugh). I'm currently using Aveda Scalp Benefits shampoo, which I like and which is lasting for ages. I hated the conditioner though, so I'm using a Philip Kingsley conditioner for scalps.

Hissinggoose Thu 12-Sep-19 22:52:20

E45 dry scalp shampoo, followed up with whatever conditioner I feel like on the lengths, but NOT on my roots, as I have seborrheic dermatitis & conditioner on my scalp makes it worse. Only thing I’ve found that works since H&S changed their formulas a while back!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »