Talk

Advanced search

Large size ladies shoes

(14 Posts)
Caitycaitxxx Sun 25-Aug-19 13:25:40

Hi, I know some people have discussed similar before but wanted to know if it is still a potentially good business idea.
I have size 10/11 feet and struggle to find fashionable shoes at a reasonable price. I’m tall as well but would still like something with a bit of a heel.
I’ve been thinking for a while about starting an online business selling shoes from small to larger sizes and wondering if there would be a market for it?
Anything else have the same problem or is it just me?
Thanks xxx

DancelikeEmmaGoldman Sun 25-Aug-19 13:33:01

I’m 10 - 41 in European sizes. I haven’t had much trouble with buying shoes, although now I mostly wear flats or boots. I buy my boots from America - perhaps Americans and Australians tend to have bigger feet than the average European woman, because sizes generally go up to at least 11.

pinkmagic1 Sun 25-Aug-19 13:37:50

A 41 is a UK 7 Dance, not unusual at all. A UK 10/11 on the other hand is unusual for a women.
I am only a 42/8, yet even I find some shops stop at a 41/7 and shops that stock an 8 have a small selection compared to other sizes. I think you would do well Cait.

DancelikeEmmaGoldman Sun 25-Aug-19 13:45:18

I’m thinking in US/Australian sizes. Sorry! Carry on then - the only places which normally stock the larger sizes in women’s shoes cater to men. I suspect the selection is more fetish than fashion.

Caitycaitxxx Sun 25-Aug-19 13:50:47

Sorry yeah 10/11 uk 😕 I can buy work shoes and certain styles from places like Evans but otherwise I get stuck between men trainers or fetish-style shoes which are a bit much for a night out! Thanks for the advice ☺️ Has anyone on here tried this type of business before?

mysteryfairy Sun 25-Aug-19 16:47:59

I’m 5ft 10 but a size 6 so not your target market. However I am drawn to reading tall threads and anecdotally those suggest most tall women posting here prefer flats. Now that it’s becoming increasingly common to wear flats and trainers for everyone I think your target market could be extremely small.

Caitycaitxxx Sun 25-Aug-19 17:26:24

Thanks for your advice mysteryfairy. That was one of my concerns but hoping to provide flats and heels. I would be stocking in all sizes but with styles been available in larger sizes too ☺️

Dirtyjellycat Sun 25-Aug-19 18:40:35

I’m an 8 and I would love this! I find that I can buy an 8 in places like M&S and Next, but in cheaper shops/brands an 8 doesn’t fit. Hmmmm does that make me not really an 8?! Anyway, I think there is definitely demand for shoes in bigger sizes - as a nation we are bigger all round than we used to be so this must apply to feet too...?

TryingToDrinkMoreWater Sun 25-Aug-19 18:57:33

I am a size 2 or 2.5 so would be interested in the other end of the spectrum. I normally end up in children's shoes, and they are getting increasingly obviously kiddie. I would like to find nice, smart, flat shoes suitable for wearing with skirts and dresses. I'd also like some nice boots, summer sandals and going out shoes. I have a very small, boring collection and tend to buy the same shoes repeatedly due to lack of choice.

Caitycaitxxx Sun 25-Aug-19 19:04:31

Oooh that’s good to know,thank you. Just looking at the shoes I have seen as a potential and they start at a size 1 or 2 UK so would be open to doing smaller sizes too if there’s a market for it☺️ Xx

Canadalife Sun 25-Aug-19 19:49:39

www.katielongshoes.co.uk/

One of the competitors

blahblahblahblahhh Sun 25-Aug-19 19:56:34

I'm a UK 8 - really annoys me that some shops say 42 is an 8 (correct) and other shops sell 41 as an 8 (incorrect!). 41 is a 7! Anyone know why they do this, it's really annoying!

BikeRunSki Sun 25-Aug-19 20:05:30

I’m a UK 9/43. As well as Katie Longshoes, there are a few other sellers that go bigger than a 7 or 8:

Clark’s - many of their women’s size up to a 9
After 8
Cinderella Shoes
Long Tall Sally
Magnus shoes
ASOS
Duo

BikeRunSki Sun 25-Aug-19 20:10:24

I'm a UK 8 - really annoys me that some shops say 42 is an 8 (correct) and other shops sell 41 as an 8 (incorrect!). 41 is a 7! Anyone know why they do this, it's really annoying!

It’s because there is not a direct relationship between British and Continental sizes, and 8 falls between 7 and 8. The discrepancy of “not really lining up with s continental size” is most noticeable at a 7/8/41/42. I like the Japanese system of using cm.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »