Talk

Advanced search

Weave advice

(3 Posts)
MellowBird85 Sun 25-Aug-19 12:32:50

I have naturally frizzy, coarse hair. Over the years I’ve damaged it with highlighting / straightening and it’s now very thin on the ends with lots of breakage. It won’t curl properly (with mousse and scrunching) like it used to and I’m just so fed up with it, I want to shave it off and start again! So I’ve been considering getting a weave as it seems the perfect way to give my hair a long break as they braid your natural hair to your head then sew the weave in. What I want to know is how much maintenance are they? I don’t mean maintenance appointments (I know you need these every 6-8 weeks) but I mean in between i.e. caring for it yourself. Is it a nightmare to dry? Does it shed a lot? Does it feel like you are constantly wearing something on your head? I have had normal bonded extensions before and wasn’t keen - I hated the lumps where it was bonded and washing / styling was a nightmare as it took ages to dry it then I had to pick my own natural hair out of the extension hair to straighten it. It was just so fiddly. Any experience / advice would be much appreciated smile

Dirtyjellycat Sun 25-Aug-19 18:24:55

I don’t have an answer but I’m bumping for you!

MilkItTilITurnItIntoCheese Sun 25-Aug-19 18:34:36

Firstly I would recommend the LA weave. Same principle but attached to your hair using micro beads. Far less annoying that a head full of bonds/beads but much kinder than the plait method. I have naturally ‘bent’ hair. Not straight, not curly, not nice waves so I have to style my hair every wash. Usually by straightening. I found I also needed to straighten my hair when I have a weave in but it’s not so difficult in between rows. I would also recommend a Brazilian blow dry. This would mean you wouldn’t need to straighten your hair. Obviously the weave does need looking after and will take longer than your normal hair to wash and dry so it depends if you have the time or inclination to look after it. Make sure you pay for decent quality hair and get recommendations on fitters. I can recommend someone on the south coast.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »