Talk

Advanced search

Is dying my hair red a big mistake?

(52 Posts)
JuneSpoon Wed 14-Aug-19 14:41:04

My natural hair colour is gray brown with an undertone of red/auburn.

I used to get it dyed a chestnut colour i.e. red/brown. But I'd find that it would head more towards auburn over time than brown and I'd get bored. So for the past ten years I've been getting it dyed ashy dark brown i.e. no red undertones.

But now I'm getting bored and am considering a cherry red shade.

Has anyone done this? Is it hard to dye over, does the cherry keep coming through?

JuneSpoon Wed 14-Aug-19 14:43:36

This is the kind of thing I mean by "cherry red"

lucylouis Wed 14-Aug-19 14:47:09

I was this colour for years and loved it! Did it at home myself- I'm now blonde so complete opposite!

ShirleyPhallus Wed 14-Aug-19 14:48:32

I did this and loved it for a while, but when it came to getting rid of the red it was a bloody nightmare

A friend did it and used the colour strip stuff and that fucked her hair

JuneSpoon Wed 14-Aug-19 14:56:40

Oooh Lucy you're daring! I'm a one color kind of person. Blonde sounds like a major change!

Shirley that's what I'm afraid of. I once had to cut major inches off my hair because the black colour I'd put in was immovable

ErinO Wed 14-Aug-19 15:28:50

That red is a lovely colour and would be pretty easy to achieve at home. The problem is removing the red when you get bored of it, a bloody nightmare to say the least!

FabalaTheGreenGirl Wed 14-Aug-19 15:51:58

I have this colour but be aware that once it is in it needs to be stripped out completely if you ever want to go back.

madcatladyforever Wed 14-Aug-19 15:58:29

Depends how old you are, red hair looks bloody awful on an older woman, I stopped dying mine red at about 45, it started looking awful, I'm back to my natural blond now.
I have a couple of 60 year old friends with dyed red hair and it looks horribly harsh and ageing.

FactoryEmblem Wed 14-Aug-19 16:09:19

The problem with that colour OP is that it is very often seen matched with a 'Karen wants to speak to the manager' haircut. Looks nice on longer tresses.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Wed 14-Aug-19 16:19:49

I like it. And it doesn't look any worse than women who still want long blonde hair. Ridiculous to say it's any more ageing.

Sexnotgender Wed 14-Aug-19 16:20:56

I REALLY want to go copper but worried I’d hate it then it’d be a nightmare to get rid of.

Honeybingbong Wed 14-Aug-19 16:26:21

Gorgeous colour.
My hair was a similar colour at the beginning of the year and had been for around 8 years. I’m naturally a dirty blonde. A few months ago because I was sick of the pale roots I decided to to lighten. I got it out with colour removers quite easily and now I’m blonde. So if you did go for it and hated it definitely possible to get it out and go back to the regular browny colour.
I’d go for it. It’s only hair grin

Scoleah Wed 14-Aug-19 16:30:32

I've been this colour.
I'm a mousy colour naturally & I find my roots look grey when they come through!
It makes my blue eyes pop but does fade quickly!

Elloello Wed 14-Aug-19 16:41:04

I'm tempted by this colour but it's hard to know if it would be too harsh. I'm a true summer and I do wonder if it'd bring out all the red in my skin!

JuneSpoon Wed 14-Aug-19 16:45:28

I'm heading for 40. I used to be more adventurous colour wise but in the last few years I've been more boring conservative.

It's only hair as someone said. Maybe I'll go for it! I'd do it in the hairdresser though. I'm too lazy for home dye and with DC it's nice to have the relaxing time in the salon!

Whitney168 Wed 14-Aug-19 18:34:19

If you tend to get a grey parting with re-growth, I would beware - no colour shows it up more than red, in my experience!

Laiste Wed 14-Aug-19 18:52:52

@FactoryEmblem I really really need to know what a 'Karen wants to speak to the manager' haircut is.

grin

Nyctophilia Wed 14-Aug-19 19:13:20

Matleavemadam Wed 14-Aug-19 20:06:20

I have been many shades of auburn/mahogany never as red as your pic but I found it all very high maintenance. Red shades seem to fade so fast hence me having tried so many shades, none have had staying power or keep that glossy look after the first couple of weeks so i gave up in the end.

Margotshypotheticaldog Wed 14-Aug-19 20:10:22

But WHY does Karen want to speak to the manager?? Is it about her haircut??

which1 Wed 14-Aug-19 20:13:06

Been this red twice.
Two points:

1. it leaches out of your hair v quickly so loses the glossy look quickly esp if your hair is in poor condition or has been bleached recently

2. despite the above fact, when you want to go lighter it is a PITA to get out. I have to use a colour stirpper, followed by bleach to get back to blond.

Great colour, and had so many compliments when I had it first done but hard to keep it looking good and hard to remove so think carefully.

Margotshypotheticaldog Wed 14-Aug-19 20:22:42

I had never heard of this, but apparently it's a hair cut that comes with accessories! 😂

Ellapaella Wed 14-Aug-19 20:49:01

That red colour really only suits a very few skin tones. It will make most people look very washed out. I'd say you need to have quite olive/warm skin tone to get away with it.

Sexnotgender Wed 14-Aug-19 20:59:54

The ‘can I speak to the manager’ haircut has been around for YEARS. It’s funny because it’s true.

foxtiger Wed 14-Aug-19 21:03:20

I think that is a gorgeous colour! It wouldn't suit me at all, as my natural colour is ginger and my colouring is very orangey, but the picture suggests it would look great on someone with naturally brown hair. I think you should go for it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »