Talk

Advanced search

That time you inadvertently went out dressed as...

(107 Posts)
CheckingOutTheQuantocks Wed 14-Aug-19 14:23:38

Today, because the weather was so generally dull and wet, I thought I would try to brighten myself up a bit by wearing pink trousers and an orange and white striped top. I thought it looked cheerful. However, a colleague has just commented that I look a bit like an ice-cream sundae and I'm making him want to go out and get a strawberry Mivvi. Oh well, at least ice-cream is a nice thing.

I have also in the past gone out in wide-legged navy trousers, a red and white striped Breton top, and a pair of navy deck shoes, and realised when it was too late that I looked like I was on shore leave.

Please share your tales of when you inadvertently went out in fancy dress so I feel a bit less embarrassed about looking like dessert!

elephantoverthehill Sat 17-Aug-19 17:59:12

In my youth I went to a fancy dress party as 'Biggles'. Some of the guests at the party were a bit more intellectual than me, and assumed I had come as Barnes Wallis, so I just went along with it.

elephantoverthehill Sat 17-Aug-19 18:00:22

Not Barnes Wallis, Douglas Barder.

Imonlymoominafterall Sat 17-Aug-19 18:16:50

On holiday last week I wore what I thought was a cool boho kaftan; my hair was clipped to the side and I had my glasses on. DH said I looked like the love child of Nana Mouskouri and Demis Roussos. He was right. (With apologies to anyone under 50 who won't have a clue what the fuck I'm in about).

CheckingOutTheQuantocks Sat 17-Aug-19 18:47:03

I know who you mean, moomin, and I'm under 50, but here's a visual aid for anyone less well-versed in 1970s Greek singing sensations.

Imonlymoominafterall Sat 17-Aug-19 19:34:12

Like looking in the mirror! X

sycamore54321 Sat 17-Aug-19 22:38:53

Great thread OP!

Mine is a posh civic gala dinner hosted by the city mayor on a cold winter evening (still not sure how I ended up invited!). I wore a long black gown with a striking contrasting purple sash around the waist....

... and was seated next to the Archbishop ...

Lostmyname Sun 18-Aug-19 07:18:45

Went to a 6yo boys birthday party. Super Mario theme. One of the other mums was wearing denim dungarees and a red tshirt hmm No one dared to ask if she'd done it on purpose

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »