Talk

Advanced search

That time you inadvertently went out dressed as...

(107 Posts)
CheckingOutTheQuantocks Wed 14-Aug-19 14:23:38

Today, because the weather was so generally dull and wet, I thought I would try to brighten myself up a bit by wearing pink trousers and an orange and white striped top. I thought it looked cheerful. However, a colleague has just commented that I look a bit like an ice-cream sundae and I'm making him want to go out and get a strawberry Mivvi. Oh well, at least ice-cream is a nice thing.

I have also in the past gone out in wide-legged navy trousers, a red and white striped Breton top, and a pair of navy deck shoes, and realised when it was too late that I looked like I was on shore leave.

Please share your tales of when you inadvertently went out in fancy dress so I feel a bit less embarrassed about looking like dessert!

IlluminatiParty Thu 15-Aug-19 19:07:54

Don't go to a posh event wearing a simple black shift dress. You'll be mistaken for a waitress. I KNOW THIS.

StickyProblem Thu 15-Aug-19 19:25:22

Illuminati me too...I was on the second work conference of the week, in a glamorous location in Italy, everyone was super slim and groomed and I felt awful, tired and scruffy in my black blouse and skirt (for convenience because nice clothes hadn't been washed because I'd only been home for 10 hours) and the head waiter tried to send me to do something.

In the late 1990s I worked in IT. No-one ever noticed what anyone wore, until I turned up in a beige floor-length needlecord skirt with a frill round the bottom (sounds hard to believe but "prairie" was a theme that season). One of them, who'd never spoken to me before, asked "Sticky, what time's the line dancing?" and they all fell about laughing. It really broke the ice in a previously quiet team. Shame that I was the joke...

Currently I have a white waterproof coat, mid thigh length, hood, I call it my Shirley Ghostman!

BruceAndNosh Thu 15-Aug-19 21:27:14

I was playing golf in winter and arrived on the first tee wearing a dark pink warm fitted jacket and a beanie hat in a similar shade of pink.
My friend told me I looked like a penis.

MulberryPeony Thu 15-Aug-19 22:06:09

I’ve most recently been mistaken for cabin crew and Jessie from Toy Story.

Littlepond Thu 15-Aug-19 22:25:20

I love a headscarf or bandana. I went out to a local fete on one of the super hot days earlier this summer and I wore a stripy shirt, bandana and big hoop earrings.
Yup. I was dressed as a pirate.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 15-Aug-19 23:18:11

I’m always mixing up colours. Sometimes it works other times it doesn’t.
I went to the hospital to visit my mum wearing a yellow dress and green jacket.
I looked like a bleeding Ambulance.grin
Another time i thought it would be a good idea to wear a light blue dress with my blue dress. Then it suddenly dawned on me that I’d have looked like the Home and Bargain shop sign.

soloula Thu 15-Aug-19 23:25:08

I've got a black leather biker jacket. I could never zip it up as I was overweight. Lost weight then was out one day and it was freezing. Decided to try zip it up, expecting it still to be too tight. I was buzzing till DH told me I looked like Neegan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan's character from the Walking Dead). Knocked the wind right out my sails...

SadSongsAndWaltzes Fri 16-Aug-19 00:35:23

Some of these are hilarious!

I recently bought a lovely grey boiler suit, and felt really good in it. Just before I left the house, DH said "Don't be afraid of no ghosts now" blush

I've also gone out wearing exactly the same shade of deep purple as my 4 and 2 year olds. My youngest was in a sling which was also purple. We looked like we were in some sort of bizarre family girl band. I didn't notice until I met my friend in town and she asked to photograph us as we looked so funny.

CheckingOutTheQuantocks Fri 16-Aug-19 08:33:53

I'm loving all these matching families. Like the Royal Tenenbaums.

elephantoverthehill Fri 16-Aug-19 09:10:51

When I first qualified as a teacher I did a term of supply work. I would quite often turn up in basically school uniform. eg blue/black skirt/trousers and white/blue shirt etc.

professionalnomad Fri 16-Aug-19 12:48:51

Black long sleeved polo neck and black skinny trousers. I also wore glasses at the time.

My DH started standing up every time I came into the room and applauding "Steve Jobs is in the house"

blush

NameChange84 Fri 16-Aug-19 13:16:30

Oh God, I always get mistaken for cabin crew at the airport and airport hotels. I usually get comments along the lines of “you off duty today? Must be strange flying out for a holiday for a change.” It’s always Emirates or Cathay they think I fly for too.

QuimReaper Fri 16-Aug-19 13:20:07

I once went out dressed as Violet Beauregarde. I was wearing a grey dress and grey shoes so I decided to add a bit of colour with dark purple tights. It was very very early in the morning through, so without thinking I grabbed my purple coat on the way out the door. I realised as I walked to the train station that with it buttoned, I was entirely purple from chin to ankle. And the purples clashed horribly blush

CheckingOutTheQuantocks Fri 16-Aug-19 13:29:00

QuimReaper I sort of did that the other day, only it was khaki trousers and a khaki waterproof mac. I looked like Fungus the Bogeyman, but I don't have any other properly waterproof coats so I had to try and style it out. I am not sure I succeeded.

Northernsoullover Fri 16-Aug-19 22:00:13

These are really funny. I've remembered another one. I wore black leggings, knee high flat boots and a black knitted tunic that was belted. Ok so it was black not green but I still looked like Robin Hood blush

mumsiedarlingrevolta Fri 16-Aug-19 22:03:43

On holiday DH wore chino shorts and an unfortunately matching beige-y ish shirt.

Friends we were holidaying with called him Percy the Parkkeeper

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Fri 16-Aug-19 22:14:12

Thanks for the hilarious thread... reminded me of this grin

MoltonSilver Sat 17-Aug-19 00:03:38

I have accidentally been Wheres Wally.

There are a few items in Boden at the moment that I think look more like part of a Ryanair uniform than regular clothing - exhibit A

MulberryPeony Sat 17-Aug-19 12:05:52

That fab lolly lady had me chuckling blush

Iwishyouwell Sat 17-Aug-19 12:18:20

Brilliant @BlairWaldorfLovesShopping

Iwishyouwell Sat 17-Aug-19 12:20:05

Someone at work had leggings , a shot tunic and ankle boots on . I said she looked like a principal boy in a pantomime.
I meant it as a compliment.
She never wore it again.

TawnyPippit Sat 17-Aug-19 12:34:48

I was wearing black skinny jeans, black ankle boots, a thin black jumper and a [very expensive] suede wrap. I though I looked nonchalantly stylish. DH kept whistling the theme tune from the Good the Bad and the Ugly...

TheGoddessFrigg Sat 17-Aug-19 12:46:57

I fell in love with an M&S fake fur jacket. In yellow. Wore it once and a friend just looked at me and went "Big Bird".

And my friend, who is tiny, wore a green dress with red boots. And then had to spend the day with everyone calling her a Christmas Elf 😁😁😁

RezCowgirl Sat 17-Aug-19 17:44:58

This morning I put on my mid blue denim shirt dress, navy cardi and my white comfy trainers. It was only when I was walking past a shop window and saw my reflection I realised it kinda looks like NHS nurse uniform.

Toooldtobearsed2 Sat 17-Aug-19 17:50:39

I went to a fancy dress party dressed as the ships cat, ears, whiskers, the lot.

I got loads and loads of admiring looks or so i thought in my drunken state

It was only when everyones photographs were developed (giving my age away here) that I realised my black leotard, the body of the cat if you will, was completely and totally and utterly see through.
I wore neither bra nor knickers that night..........

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »