Talk

Advanced search

That time you inadvertently went out dressed as...

(107 Posts)
CheckingOutTheQuantocks Wed 14-Aug-19 14:23:38

Today, because the weather was so generally dull and wet, I thought I would try to brighten myself up a bit by wearing pink trousers and an orange and white striped top. I thought it looked cheerful. However, a colleague has just commented that I look a bit like an ice-cream sundae and I'm making him want to go out and get a strawberry Mivvi. Oh well, at least ice-cream is a nice thing.

I have also in the past gone out in wide-legged navy trousers, a red and white striped Breton top, and a pair of navy deck shoes, and realised when it was too late that I looked like I was on shore leave.

Please share your tales of when you inadvertently went out in fancy dress so I feel a bit less embarrassed about looking like dessert!

inevitablytired Wed 14-Aug-19 15:56:20

IHeartKingThistle I did exactly the same but unfortunately it took until I was out of the house for someone to point out that a yellow top and dungarees definitely have a minion look!

NewAccount270219 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:03:16

I have a denim dress that I love, but DH shouts 'howdy cowgirl!' every time I wear it, and I can see his point.

I recently accidentally dressed myself and my one year old (boy!) in matching outfits and didn't realise until we'd left the house, which made us look like we each dressed up as each other. Again, DH was tremendously helpful - I sent him a picture and he texted back 'Mother Boy!' (any Arrested Development fans out there?)

CheckingOutTheQuantocks Wed 14-Aug-19 16:11:56

Oh, I've done the matching outfit thing before too. I came into work not that long ago in khaki chinos and an orange t-shirt with a pineapple print on it (I do have form when it comes to bright colours) and tan brogues, only to find that the guy on the desk opposite was wearing trousers, shoes and t-shirt in exactly the same shades as mine, although sans pineapples. To make it worse, he's 10 years younger and about three stone lighter than me and he wore it much better than I did. I just looked like a weird stalker who was planning to lure him into the car park on the pretext of helping me with a flat tyre, and then shoving him into the boot of my car and driving off.

Starlive23 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:41:59

I went on holiday and was told I looked like Wilma Flintstone! Red hair, pony tale and white dress. I was flattered though, as I remember Wilma looking quite good grin

Starlive23 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:43:21

@NewAccount - mother boy! Love it!

YouWereRight Wed 14-Aug-19 17:35:47

I spent a winter a couple of years ago regularly dressed like Alex Turner in the Cornerstone video. A woman in a coffee shop pointed it out. Complete with hair that was a but wavy, and I was wearing a grey camera bag cross body.

Miseryisabutterfly Wed 14-Aug-19 17:55:02

Here’s mine 😂

moonpiggle Wed 14-Aug-19 17:58:46

@onemouseplace thats what my father in law said to me! 😂
Also went to a wedding this month and worse a fuscia pink dress with feathers on..and brother in law kept telling me to stand on one leg!
Used to have a pair of leather trousers with gold knee pads (cringe) and was called terminator for months by my in laws 😂

moonpiggle Wed 14-Aug-19 17:59:51

*wore

CheckingOutTheQuantocks Wed 14-Aug-19 18:28:24

YouWereRight you should have told her you were only a lookalike.

managedmis Wed 14-Aug-19 18:29:28

I'm a bit 'land girl' today. I've go wide leg olive green culottes on and a belt

grin

Shame I'm not in a field really

SophoclesTheFox Wed 14-Aug-19 19:18:00

I went to work in a red blazer, white shirt and black trousers. It was only when I got into a meeting where I had to boss some people around while standing up at a whiteboard that I looked down at myself and said

“I’ve dressed as a circus ringmaster, haven’t I?” 🤣

Never wore that jacket again.

FetchezLaVache Wed 14-Aug-19 19:22:19

I used to have a black T-shirt with two thick stripes at the top - one cream, the one below it brown. I wore it with a pair of black trousers and was told I looked like a pint of Guiness settling.

user1494055864 Wed 14-Aug-19 19:22:35

My work colleague regularly takes the p out of what I'm wearing. I made the mistake of wearing my red and white striped top with light blue skinny jeans, instead of the dark jeans I usually wear with it, and I got called where's Wally 😭

Michaelbaubles Wed 14-Aug-19 19:23:12

When “city shorts” were a thing I wore some to work - knee-length black shorts with flat shoes and a polka-dotted black fitted tunic t-shirt. I looked like I was wearing a man’s Victorian bathing costume.

Floopily Wed 14-Aug-19 19:24:09

I was in work, it was cold and I was wearing a shortish skirt, black tights, ballet pumps and had thrown a black shawl around my shoulders. Had to wait ages for something to print and I was hopping up and down by the printer trying to keep warm. Realised I probably looked like I thought I was in Riverdance.

Went out recently and DH took one look at my outfit "ooh you look nice, very Noel Fielding". Not necessarily the look I was going for!

Amortentia Wed 14-Aug-19 19:38:10

I’ve got a white hoody, but it doesn’t have a hood and has very useful, large pockets. I can’t wear the damn thing without the whole family asking if I’m off fishing or doing survival training.

Unless it’s really sunny, which is rare I usually just wear black, dd is convinced I’m a witch. TBH, the older I get the more witchy I’m starting to look, might need to invest in some pastel cardigans.

YouWereRight Wed 14-Aug-19 20:13:38

CheckingOutTheQuantocks dp told her she can call me anything she wants blush

maddy68 Wed 14-Aug-19 20:20:26

I wore yellow pattern Aztec type trousers with a yellow t shirt. My friend said I looked like a cheese string! 😂😂

Graceymac99 Wed 14-Aug-19 20:28:56

**user1494055864 I also wore a red/white stripped jumper and blue skinny jeans. My 9 yr old dd said I looked like a girl Wally, all I needed was the hat apparently!

500BusStops Wed 14-Aug-19 20:40:19

I’ve also done the yellow t shirt and blue trousers in Ikea

Went to work one day in a black polo neck jumper and black trousers thinking it was a bit Audrey Hepburn... until someone asked if I was the milk tray man. Because I never learn I repeated this outfit and sat down in a meeting to realise a male colleague was wearing almost identical clothes. We looked like a Steve Jobs lookalike competition

CheckingOutTheQuantocks Wed 14-Aug-19 20:45:52

Sophocles the trousers weren't jodhpur style and tucked into long boots, were they?

YouWereRight I could spend all day quoting that song, I love it. I certainly wouldn't look upon it as a negative if I was dressed like the video, although I am considerably older/fatter/less cute than Alex Turner.

foxtiger Wed 14-Aug-19 21:06:00

Not quite the same thing, but I totally intentionally dressed DS1 and me exactly the same when he was a toddler (blue and white stripy tops, blue jeans, blue and white canvas deck shoes). I didn't notice until someone else pointed it out! They were just the clothes that looked best on each of us at the time!

Oh, and I have lightish ginger hair and someone once said I looked like a jar of marmalade when i was wearing a mustard yellow top. But I think she was mistaken.

PoppingOneOutIn2020 Wed 14-Aug-19 21:09:18

Slightly different.

But my brother had a shrek party. We all had to dress as shrek and shrek only.

Me and my brother are very highly competitive and we take things way too far.

He shaved his head skin head bald, I wore a bald cap and painted my entire... entire body green.

That night I had a shower, dried my hair, went to bed, got up for work the next morning.. I am still fucking green. A much paler shade. But green
I showered again quickly, but still managed to go to work looking like I've got jaundice.

I was told off by management and my colleagues found it absolutely hilarious.

elephantoverthehill Wed 14-Aug-19 22:56:31

As a supply teacher a very long time ago I would often find myself wearing school uniform eg white shirt, navy blue skirt or blue blouse and black skirt.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »