Talk

Advanced search

That time you inadvertently went out dressed as...

(107 Posts)
CheckingOutTheQuantocks Wed 14-Aug-19 14:23:38

Today, because the weather was so generally dull and wet, I thought I would try to brighten myself up a bit by wearing pink trousers and an orange and white striped top. I thought it looked cheerful. However, a colleague has just commented that I look a bit like an ice-cream sundae and I'm making him want to go out and get a strawberry Mivvi. Oh well, at least ice-cream is a nice thing.

I have also in the past gone out in wide-legged navy trousers, a red and white striped Breton top, and a pair of navy deck shoes, and realised when it was too late that I looked like I was on shore leave.

Please share your tales of when you inadvertently went out in fancy dress so I feel a bit less embarrassed about looking like dessert!

Summerunderway Wed 14-Aug-19 14:27:49

Once while pregnant and on holiday abroad, I wore a pink top and pants.
At the local zoo declared I looked like a flamingo!!
Doubt I could have stood on one leg tbh..
Maybe on reflection a pink hippo??
One Christmas I got a fake fur /suede hat for myself in the sales.
Ds announced I looked like a lovely sheep!!
Not even the same ds.
Still at least I have honest dc!

margaritasbythesea Wed 14-Aug-19 14:29:07

I once went out looking like a French fancy. I had a pale pink blouse with a cream cardigan with a ruffle. It did look quite good, but once my colleague had opened their lunch box to find one of Mr Kipling's finest, no one could unthink it.

brittlestar Wed 14-Aug-19 14:30:26

My dh sees nothing wrong with looking like a Christmas elf in summer wearing a green top and red shorts or vice versa. I regularly have to tone down the nautical look as my style seems to mainly be sailor as well!

EatenByDinosaurs Wed 14-Aug-19 14:30:46

Haha grin it sounds cheerful to me too Checking

I wear leather leggings a lot, and in winter often with knee/over the knee black boots. I also have a cape coat which I love. DC have repeatedly asked if its my Kylo Ren Halloween costume hmm grin.
I have a white dress I particularly love too, and made the mistake of wearing it with a silver belt and my hair in a bun, DH and DC were in hoots saying I'd moved onto Princess Leia instead hmm. No way am I ever wearing gold!!! grin

dudsville Wed 14-Aug-19 14:31:28

"shore leave"!

I once managed to rock a highland dancer look. I still cringe to this day. What on earth possessed me to wear a plaid skirt with a cream jumper and cream cable tights? I can't remember what shoes I wore but I'll bet you anything they were tassled.

Drogosnextwife Wed 14-Aug-19 14:31:29

A ned, from around 2001-2003. I was only 11-13 and in my defence tracksuits were the in thing, well where I lived anyway.

CheckingOutTheQuantocks Wed 14-Aug-19 14:32:47

Summerunderway at least it was a lovely sheep though! Not one of those mucky ones with winnits and a big patch of fluorescent marker on its back from where it's been tupped.

ShirleyPhallus Wed 14-Aug-19 14:36:34

Two occasions:
1. Once I went to pizza express in a striped Breton top and a black beret (it was about 2001!), realised I looked like the chefs there
2. Went to B&Q in black dungarees and a red t-shirt which used to be the staff uniform too. Man asked me where drill bits lived. I was about 11 and disgusted!

ImportantWater Wed 14-Aug-19 14:38:02

As a teenager I attended a NY Eve party wearing black hotpants, tights, a white shirt and a waistcoat (it was the early 90s!) Basically principal boy in a pantomime.
I also recently bought a long black cardigan which I now realise turns any outfit into Hogwarts robes.

CheckingOutTheQuantocks Wed 14-Aug-19 14:39:35

dudsville aw, sorry, I do feel your pain, but I just had to go and shut myself in the toilet to have a good laugh about your tassled shoes. I feel very cheered up now, thanks!

LittleAndOften Wed 14-Aug-19 14:42:54

OP, no, but you make me wish I had something in my wardrobe that resembled a Twister lolly! 😂

IHeartKingThistle Wed 14-Aug-19 14:43:00

"Mummy, why are you dressed like a minion?!"

I had put a yellow t shirt under my blue dungarees. I wear glasses. Thank God I didn't leave the house.

CheckingOutTheQuantocks Wed 14-Aug-19 14:54:44

LittleAndOften the green and yellow striped one? I could probably achieve that from my wardrobe, tbh. I like colours. Not sure how I'd get the effect of the strawberry centre, though, unless you counted me as the pink bit.

NameChange84 Wed 14-Aug-19 14:54:58

I was out and bumped into a friend who kept congratulating on me on my amazing costume and telling me I looked “just like her”. She said she couldn’t remember her name but I’d done a great job. I kept telling her I wasn’t wearing a costume. She kept insisting I was and she thought it was cool that even at my age (late 20s) I was dressing up for Halloween. I was grieving a family member’s death and haven’t even twigged it was 31st October. It got quite heated. She thought I was insane insisting I wasn’t wearing a costume, I thought she was being really rude taking the piss out of me. I kept saying “I AM NOT WEARING A COSTUME I AM JUST WEARING MY NORMAL CLOTHES.”

I got home, fed up. Looked at my pale face and dark rings under my eyes (i’d been up for several nights with my relative whilst they were dying), my black shift dress with a cream collar, black tights, black Mary Jane type Brogues and twigged. She thought I was Wednesday Adams. My hair was nothing like her though!

Another time I turned up a Christmas meal out with friends wearing a green dress, gold shoes, gold chandelier earrings and gold necklace, bracelet etc. A girl that was there as someone’s plus one burst out laughing and said “haha, the Christmas Tree has arrived!” The rest of the night I was referred to as Christmas Tree and throughout the meal they kept bursting into rounds of “Oh! Christmas Tree! Oh Christmas Tree! How lovely are your branches!

There’s loads of other stupid stories. I’m a bit of a fashion victim.

DontCallMeShitley Wed 14-Aug-19 14:57:31

I stopped buying brown jeans when I realised I looked like a tree, most of my tops are green, including my hats, jackets and scarves.

LittleAndOften Wed 14-Aug-19 14:59:42

@CheckingOutTheQuantocks that's the one! I'd love to see that outfit, and there has to be some kind of layering over pink wink

mrsfeatherbottom Wed 14-Aug-19 15:02:44

I work in a primary school and have had the following gems from kids:

Wearing orange jumper dress - you look like you work in B&Q

Wearing short dungaree dress - what are you wearing? You look like a farmer!

Wearing a lovely new Boden jumper - my granny's friend has that jumper!

HCHQ Wed 14-Aug-19 15:02:50

It was at a funeral of a friend who was a lovely bright vivacious lady - the instruction was to wear something bright.

Chose black tailored trousers, top & an multi coloured Italian jacket (think Versace - esq) and heels.

Seems only I got the memo blush shock. Still think I looks great, if not a tad out of place!

Stationeryqueen Wed 14-Aug-19 15:06:24

I once inadvertently went out dressed as a Halloween pumpkin.

I had nipped to my friends house and still had my green bobble hat on, with my skinny jeans, brown knee boots and orange jumper dress on. She was setting up for the kids Halloween party and had a witches hat on, commented how pleased she wasn't the only one getting into the spirit of things. I wasn't dressed up.

DontCallMeShitley Wed 14-Aug-19 15:07:28

When I first went shopping in IKEA I was wearing a yellow T shirt and navy trousers. Quickly put a sweater on when I saw the staff uniform.

BruceAndNosh Wed 14-Aug-19 15:08:18

Nothing as colourful as yours but I went to a Chinese restaurant wearing a black skirt and a white shirt and got stopped on the way back from the loo by a bloke who asked me for more prawn crackers.

elephantoverthehill Wed 14-Aug-19 15:08:57

I was going out wearing quite a short dress, as it was raining I put on my trench coat. When I arrived at the pub someone shouted across the bar 'The stripper's arrived at last' blush

onemouseplace Wed 14-Aug-19 15:09:10

Sometime in the mid-90s I bought myself a pair of red tartan trousers. My Dad pissed himself laughing every time I wore them saying I looked like one of the Bay City Rollers. This was pre-internet days so I had no idea what this meant I looked like so carried on wearing them regardless.

Doing an image search now, I see he kind of had a point.

CheckingOutTheQuantocks Wed 14-Aug-19 15:35:41

onemouseplace I love tartan, but I tend to restrict myself to Black Watch rather than Royal Stewart, because the Rollers association is still very strong.

inevitablytired Wed 14-Aug-19 15:56:20

IHeartKingThistle I did exactly the same but unfortunately it took until I was out of the house for someone to point out that a yellow top and dungarees definitely have a minion look!

NewAccount270219 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:03:16

I have a denim dress that I love, but DH shouts 'howdy cowgirl!' every time I wear it, and I can see his point.

I recently accidentally dressed myself and my one year old (boy!) in matching outfits and didn't realise until we'd left the house, which made us look like we each dressed up as each other. Again, DH was tremendously helpful - I sent him a picture and he texted back 'Mother Boy!' (any Arrested Development fans out there?)

CheckingOutTheQuantocks Wed 14-Aug-19 16:11:56

Oh, I've done the matching outfit thing before too. I came into work not that long ago in khaki chinos and an orange t-shirt with a pineapple print on it (I do have form when it comes to bright colours) and tan brogues, only to find that the guy on the desk opposite was wearing trousers, shoes and t-shirt in exactly the same shades as mine, although sans pineapples. To make it worse, he's 10 years younger and about three stone lighter than me and he wore it much better than I did. I just looked like a weird stalker who was planning to lure him into the car park on the pretext of helping me with a flat tyre, and then shoving him into the boot of my car and driving off.

Starlive23 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:41:59

I went on holiday and was told I looked like Wilma Flintstone! Red hair, pony tale and white dress. I was flattered though, as I remember Wilma looking quite good grin

Starlive23 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:43:21

@NewAccount - mother boy! Love it!

YouWereRight Wed 14-Aug-19 17:35:47

I spent a winter a couple of years ago regularly dressed like Alex Turner in the Cornerstone video. A woman in a coffee shop pointed it out. Complete with hair that was a but wavy, and I was wearing a grey camera bag cross body.

Miseryisabutterfly Wed 14-Aug-19 17:55:02

Here’s mine 😂

moonpiggle Wed 14-Aug-19 17:58:46

@onemouseplace thats what my father in law said to me! 😂
Also went to a wedding this month and worse a fuscia pink dress with feathers on..and brother in law kept telling me to stand on one leg!
Used to have a pair of leather trousers with gold knee pads (cringe) and was called terminator for months by my in laws 😂

moonpiggle Wed 14-Aug-19 17:59:51

*wore

CheckingOutTheQuantocks Wed 14-Aug-19 18:28:24

YouWereRight you should have told her you were only a lookalike.

managedmis Wed 14-Aug-19 18:29:28

I'm a bit 'land girl' today. I've go wide leg olive green culottes on and a belt

grin

Shame I'm not in a field really

SophoclesTheFox Wed 14-Aug-19 19:18:00

I went to work in a red blazer, white shirt and black trousers. It was only when I got into a meeting where I had to boss some people around while standing up at a whiteboard that I looked down at myself and said

“I’ve dressed as a circus ringmaster, haven’t I?” 🤣

Never wore that jacket again.

FetchezLaVache Wed 14-Aug-19 19:22:19

I used to have a black T-shirt with two thick stripes at the top - one cream, the one below it brown. I wore it with a pair of black trousers and was told I looked like a pint of Guiness settling.

user1494055864 Wed 14-Aug-19 19:22:35

My work colleague regularly takes the p out of what I'm wearing. I made the mistake of wearing my red and white striped top with light blue skinny jeans, instead of the dark jeans I usually wear with it, and I got called where's Wally 😭

Michaelbaubles Wed 14-Aug-19 19:23:12

When “city shorts” were a thing I wore some to work - knee-length black shorts with flat shoes and a polka-dotted black fitted tunic t-shirt. I looked like I was wearing a man’s Victorian bathing costume.

Floopily Wed 14-Aug-19 19:24:09

I was in work, it was cold and I was wearing a shortish skirt, black tights, ballet pumps and had thrown a black shawl around my shoulders. Had to wait ages for something to print and I was hopping up and down by the printer trying to keep warm. Realised I probably looked like I thought I was in Riverdance.

Went out recently and DH took one look at my outfit "ooh you look nice, very Noel Fielding". Not necessarily the look I was going for!

Amortentia Wed 14-Aug-19 19:38:10

I’ve got a white hoody, but it doesn’t have a hood and has very useful, large pockets. I can’t wear the damn thing without the whole family asking if I’m off fishing or doing survival training.

Unless it’s really sunny, which is rare I usually just wear black, dd is convinced I’m a witch. TBH, the older I get the more witchy I’m starting to look, might need to invest in some pastel cardigans.

YouWereRight Wed 14-Aug-19 20:13:38

CheckingOutTheQuantocks dp told her she can call me anything she wants blush

maddy68 Wed 14-Aug-19 20:20:26

I wore yellow pattern Aztec type trousers with a yellow t shirt. My friend said I looked like a cheese string! 😂😂

Graceymac99 Wed 14-Aug-19 20:28:56

**user1494055864 I also wore a red/white stripped jumper and blue skinny jeans. My 9 yr old dd said I looked like a girl Wally, all I needed was the hat apparently!

500BusStops Wed 14-Aug-19 20:40:19

I’ve also done the yellow t shirt and blue trousers in Ikea

Went to work one day in a black polo neck jumper and black trousers thinking it was a bit Audrey Hepburn... until someone asked if I was the milk tray man. Because I never learn I repeated this outfit and sat down in a meeting to realise a male colleague was wearing almost identical clothes. We looked like a Steve Jobs lookalike competition

CheckingOutTheQuantocks Wed 14-Aug-19 20:45:52

Sophocles the trousers weren't jodhpur style and tucked into long boots, were they?

YouWereRight I could spend all day quoting that song, I love it. I certainly wouldn't look upon it as a negative if I was dressed like the video, although I am considerably older/fatter/less cute than Alex Turner.

foxtiger Wed 14-Aug-19 21:06:00

Not quite the same thing, but I totally intentionally dressed DS1 and me exactly the same when he was a toddler (blue and white stripy tops, blue jeans, blue and white canvas deck shoes). I didn't notice until someone else pointed it out! They were just the clothes that looked best on each of us at the time!

Oh, and I have lightish ginger hair and someone once said I looked like a jar of marmalade when i was wearing a mustard yellow top. But I think she was mistaken.

PoppingOneOutIn2020 Wed 14-Aug-19 21:09:18

Slightly different.

But my brother had a shrek party. We all had to dress as shrek and shrek only.

Me and my brother are very highly competitive and we take things way too far.

He shaved his head skin head bald, I wore a bald cap and painted my entire... entire body green.

That night I had a shower, dried my hair, went to bed, got up for work the next morning.. I am still fucking green. A much paler shade. But green
I showered again quickly, but still managed to go to work looking like I've got jaundice.

I was told off by management and my colleagues found it absolutely hilarious.

elephantoverthehill Wed 14-Aug-19 22:56:31

As a supply teacher a very long time ago I would often find myself wearing school uniform eg white shirt, navy blue skirt or blue blouse and black skirt.

MrsMoastyToasty Wed 14-Aug-19 23:04:33

I went to my DSIS wedding in a pale blue checked trousers and matching tunic style v neck top. I looked like I was wearing scrubs.

Scarletoharaseyebrows Wed 14-Aug-19 23:08:27

Years ago I spent a fortune (to me) on an outfit from Oasis for a special "meet his work colleagues" date. Black thick satin pencil skirt, black tight top, red little cardigan, red shoes, little scarf. "Welcome to Virgin Atlantic " said his boss... 🙄😫

theseriousmoonlight Wed 14-Aug-19 23:10:37

I have dressed like the horizon: brown shoes, green skirt and blue top. I did it intentionally.

A few years ago, I noticed from photos that I tend to dress like an 8 year old so I have tried to become more 'grown up' in my clothes as I am now 40. I still wear dungarees though.

Time40 Wed 14-Aug-19 23:25:25

I accidentally went to a Trekathon (ie, watching all the Star Trek films back-to-back in the cinema) wearing black trousers and a red, long-sleeved, high-necked top.

(It's weird that this should come up, because I was talking about Trekathons of the 90s on here only the other day.)

CheckingOutTheQuantocks Thu 15-Aug-19 08:39:03

theseriousmoonlight oh dear, I suspect I do have a tendency to dress like either a kid or a kindergarten teacher, even for my boring office job. I don't like black and it doesn't suit me, so I veer towards yellows and reds and pinks. I try to keep my bottom half muted if I'm wearing a bright top, and vice versa, otherwise I look like Kimmy Schmidt, but obviously I failed badly yesterday.

I don't have dungarees though. The only thing that stops me is that they don't work on my shape, otherwise I'd be all over them.

OMGshefoundmeout Thu 15-Aug-19 10:13:56

I had to give a presentation at a local function. I dressed smart casual in very dark green UGGs (it was a while ago so UGGs were in), black opaque tights and a shortish dark green skater dress. I loved it, very flattering to my shape and colouring. One of the guests told me afterwards ‘you look lovely, just like a little leprechaun’. Not quite what I was going for.

Nabana Thu 15-Aug-19 10:14:11

There's been number of times I've gone out with my baby dressed as... my baby! I don't know if it's subconscious but so many times I put him for example in strip b/w bodysuit and grey trousers and throw on my strip b/w top and grey trousers! Kind of embarrassing when I realise lol

Nabana Thu 15-Aug-19 10:14:38

Stripey

theseriousmoonlight Thu 15-Aug-19 10:20:07

@CheckingOutTheQuantocks give dungarees a try! I thought the same then mumsnet convinced me to try them. I now have three pairs smile

TheTurn0fTheScrew Thu 15-Aug-19 10:20:08

I've got a really nice high-necked cream lace blouse, but I have to be careful what I wear it with, as according to my boss one particular skirt/boots combo made me look like I'd come dressed as an extra from Downton Abbey.

BenWillbondsPants Thu 15-Aug-19 10:29:54

However, a colleague has just commented that I look a bit like an ice-cream sundae and I'm making him want to go out and get a strawberry Mivvi.

gringrin

Mammyloveswine Thu 15-Aug-19 10:32:48

I went through s phase of wearing colourful tights and I had a blue pair...my boss told me I looked like a smurf,

I also had a bright yellow shirt dress I loved! I was hotdesking at the time so my colleague sent an email to the office asking "mammy where are you today?" As there were so many rooms and floors. One of the senior bosses replied "you can't bloody miss her in that hideous dress" blush

BenWillbondsPants Thu 15-Aug-19 10:33:33

I have a lovely pair of 3/4 length wide leg trousers. A few weeks ago I put them on with a black and white horizontal striped top and DH immediately announced 'Oh here's Pirate Pete' and spent the day singing sea shanties. He thinks he's so funny ...

CheckingOutTheQuantocks Thu 15-Aug-19 11:22:16

moonlight how do you go about wearing them when you've got big hips and bum and you have to size up on trousers, but your top half is a size smaller? With dungarees, I'm just concerned about having either a top half that won't stay up or a bottom half that clings to all the wrong bits.

Deathraystare Thu 15-Aug-19 13:00:28

I am not stylish enough for people to notice what I wear, although....One Christmas I turned up at my parents house in a red velour top and trousers -to be greeted by my dad "Hello Po!". The only other time, I was wearing grey cords, watching rhinos in a zoo and thinking how similar their bulky grey bottoms looked to mine!

theseriousmoonlight Thu 15-Aug-19 14:20:38

@CheckingOutTheQuantocks I wear the size my bottom half is and the top front bit is adjustable so I've never had an issue. I don't buy the skinny ones, my favourite are from asos. They're quite baggy in the leg with a turn up so I expect I inadvertently look like a farmer. Still way more comfortable than jeans.

theseriousmoonlight Thu 15-Aug-19 14:23:47

Mine are like these. Sorry I can't do small links as I don't know how to on my phone:

www.asos.com/asos-design/asos-design-denim-dungaree-in-stonewash-blue/prd/7997919?clr=stonewash&colourWayId=15369841&SearchQuery=&cid=15167

CheckingOutTheQuantocks Thu 15-Aug-19 14:45:58

theseriousmoonlight ooh, they look comfy. The idea of not having a waistband is very appealing. I am not sure my ample bottom and newly-matronly menopausal bosom would make me look quite so lissom in them as that model does, but needs must when middle-age approaches.

SophoclesTheFox Thu 15-Aug-19 16:30:23

Sophocles the trousers weren't jodhpur style and tucked into long boots, were they grin

No actual jodhpurs but I was sporting a jaunty ankle boot which didn’t help...

Loving these stories, for some reason they’re very cheering!

BigRedBoat Thu 15-Aug-19 16:42:27

A Breton striped top, black skinny jeans tucked into burgundy knee high boots - realises once I was at work that I was basically a pirate 🏴‍☠️

Flamingo84 Thu 15-Aug-19 16:43:29

In the height of Twilight mania I went to work in bootcut jeans, floral top with navy cardi. My hair is long and brown and I wore it down with a hairband. My friend said I looked lovely, just like Bella Swan confused

Flamingo84 Thu 15-Aug-19 16:54:24

Oh another one. Skinny black jeans, knee high boots and a thin wrap cardigan with blouson sleeves. I looked like a Russian about to do a traditional folk dance.

Northernsoullover Thu 15-Aug-19 16:58:50

I once had an all in one jumpsuit type thing with green and dark flowers on. I teamed it with Dr Martens and when I got to work I got told I looked like I was going on manoeuvres. I could only see camouflage after that. I never wore it again.
This is going back 30 years. I like to think I dress a bit better now

NewAccount270219 Thu 15-Aug-19 18:55:23

Another one, as of this morning. I put on a khaki shirt dress and slung my rucksack on. 'Off to enlist, are you?' said FIL.

MargotsFlounceyBlouse Thu 15-Aug-19 19:01:56

I chose some daring lipstick red bootcut trousers and a pussycat new floral blouse for a night out (when Primark had just landed properly 20 odd years ago) and my friend killed herself laughing saying I'd come as my nan. (who she knew). It turned out it was, essentially, a 2000 version of her trademark stylish perpetual 1970s cocktail party style.

Username probably connected.

IlluminatiParty Thu 15-Aug-19 19:07:54

Don't go to a posh event wearing a simple black shift dress. You'll be mistaken for a waitress. I KNOW THIS.

StickyProblem Thu 15-Aug-19 19:25:22

Illuminati me too...I was on the second work conference of the week, in a glamorous location in Italy, everyone was super slim and groomed and I felt awful, tired and scruffy in my black blouse and skirt (for convenience because nice clothes hadn't been washed because I'd only been home for 10 hours) and the head waiter tried to send me to do something.

In the late 1990s I worked in IT. No-one ever noticed what anyone wore, until I turned up in a beige floor-length needlecord skirt with a frill round the bottom (sounds hard to believe but "prairie" was a theme that season). One of them, who'd never spoken to me before, asked "Sticky, what time's the line dancing?" and they all fell about laughing. It really broke the ice in a previously quiet team. Shame that I was the joke...

Currently I have a white waterproof coat, mid thigh length, hood, I call it my Shirley Ghostman!

BruceAndNosh Thu 15-Aug-19 21:27:14

I was playing golf in winter and arrived on the first tee wearing a dark pink warm fitted jacket and a beanie hat in a similar shade of pink.
My friend told me I looked like a penis.

MulberryPeony Thu 15-Aug-19 22:06:09

I’ve most recently been mistaken for cabin crew and Jessie from Toy Story.

Littlepond Thu 15-Aug-19 22:25:20

I love a headscarf or bandana. I went out to a local fete on one of the super hot days earlier this summer and I wore a stripy shirt, bandana and big hoop earrings.
Yup. I was dressed as a pirate.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 15-Aug-19 23:18:11

I’m always mixing up colours. Sometimes it works other times it doesn’t.
I went to the hospital to visit my mum wearing a yellow dress and green jacket.
I looked like a bleeding Ambulance.grin
Another time i thought it would be a good idea to wear a light blue dress with my blue dress. Then it suddenly dawned on me that I’d have looked like the Home and Bargain shop sign.

soloula Thu 15-Aug-19 23:25:08

I've got a black leather biker jacket. I could never zip it up as I was overweight. Lost weight then was out one day and it was freezing. Decided to try zip it up, expecting it still to be too tight. I was buzzing till DH told me I looked like Neegan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan's character from the Walking Dead). Knocked the wind right out my sails...

SadSongsAndWaltzes Fri 16-Aug-19 00:35:23

Some of these are hilarious!

I recently bought a lovely grey boiler suit, and felt really good in it. Just before I left the house, DH said "Don't be afraid of no ghosts now" blush

I've also gone out wearing exactly the same shade of deep purple as my 4 and 2 year olds. My youngest was in a sling which was also purple. We looked like we were in some sort of bizarre family girl band. I didn't notice until I met my friend in town and she asked to photograph us as we looked so funny.

CheckingOutTheQuantocks Fri 16-Aug-19 08:33:53

I'm loving all these matching families. Like the Royal Tenenbaums.

elephantoverthehill Fri 16-Aug-19 09:10:51

When I first qualified as a teacher I did a term of supply work. I would quite often turn up in basically school uniform. eg blue/black skirt/trousers and white/blue shirt etc.

professionalnomad Fri 16-Aug-19 12:48:51

Black long sleeved polo neck and black skinny trousers. I also wore glasses at the time.

My DH started standing up every time I came into the room and applauding "Steve Jobs is in the house"

blush

NameChange84 Fri 16-Aug-19 13:16:30

Oh God, I always get mistaken for cabin crew at the airport and airport hotels. I usually get comments along the lines of “you off duty today? Must be strange flying out for a holiday for a change.” It’s always Emirates or Cathay they think I fly for too.

QuimReaper Fri 16-Aug-19 13:20:07

I once went out dressed as Violet Beauregarde. I was wearing a grey dress and grey shoes so I decided to add a bit of colour with dark purple tights. It was very very early in the morning through, so without thinking I grabbed my purple coat on the way out the door. I realised as I walked to the train station that with it buttoned, I was entirely purple from chin to ankle. And the purples clashed horribly blush

CheckingOutTheQuantocks Fri 16-Aug-19 13:29:00

QuimReaper I sort of did that the other day, only it was khaki trousers and a khaki waterproof mac. I looked like Fungus the Bogeyman, but I don't have any other properly waterproof coats so I had to try and style it out. I am not sure I succeeded.

Northernsoullover Fri 16-Aug-19 22:00:13

These are really funny. I've remembered another one. I wore black leggings, knee high flat boots and a black knitted tunic that was belted. Ok so it was black not green but I still looked like Robin Hood blush

mumsiedarlingrevolta Fri 16-Aug-19 22:03:43

On holiday DH wore chino shorts and an unfortunately matching beige-y ish shirt.

Friends we were holidaying with called him Percy the Parkkeeper

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Fri 16-Aug-19 22:14:12

Thanks for the hilarious thread... reminded me of this grin

MoltonSilver Sat 17-Aug-19 00:03:38

I have accidentally been Wheres Wally.

There are a few items in Boden at the moment that I think look more like part of a Ryanair uniform than regular clothing - exhibit A

MulberryPeony Sat 17-Aug-19 12:05:52

That fab lolly lady had me chuckling blush

Iwishyouwell Sat 17-Aug-19 12:18:20

Brilliant @BlairWaldorfLovesShopping

Iwishyouwell Sat 17-Aug-19 12:20:05

Someone at work had leggings , a shot tunic and ankle boots on . I said she looked like a principal boy in a pantomime.
I meant it as a compliment.
She never wore it again.

TawnyPippit Sat 17-Aug-19 12:34:48

I was wearing black skinny jeans, black ankle boots, a thin black jumper and a [very expensive] suede wrap. I though I looked nonchalantly stylish. DH kept whistling the theme tune from the Good the Bad and the Ugly...

TheGoddessFrigg Sat 17-Aug-19 12:46:57

I fell in love with an M&S fake fur jacket. In yellow. Wore it once and a friend just looked at me and went "Big Bird".

And my friend, who is tiny, wore a green dress with red boots. And then had to spend the day with everyone calling her a Christmas Elf 😁😁😁

RezCowgirl Sat 17-Aug-19 17:44:58

This morning I put on my mid blue denim shirt dress, navy cardi and my white comfy trainers. It was only when I was walking past a shop window and saw my reflection I realised it kinda looks like NHS nurse uniform.

Toooldtobearsed2 Sat 17-Aug-19 17:50:39

I went to a fancy dress party dressed as the ships cat, ears, whiskers, the lot.

I got loads and loads of admiring looks or so i thought in my drunken state

It was only when everyones photographs were developed (giving my age away here) that I realised my black leotard, the body of the cat if you will, was completely and totally and utterly see through.
I wore neither bra nor knickers that night..........

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »