Talk

Advanced search

Autumn work trousers

(9 Posts)
Snowdrop30 Tue 13-Aug-19 20:36:29

I need some smart work trousers for the autumn. BUT... I do not want to show half my calves (live in Scotland). I do not want to wear heels (work standing up most of the day).

I do not want to have ankle skimmers which only look good if you are not wearing socks (Scotland! Plus blisters!) I do not look good in black or navy. Am 5 ft 5 and size 14 so look swamped in wide pants or flares plus flat shoes, and ghastly in skinnies.

Someone help me please! So far I have turned up Artigiano and er. ...House of Bruar. But I don't want to look like my Mum!

bluejelly Wed 14-Aug-19 19:15:14

Have you tried Jigsaw? They do nice work trousers and the quality is good.

wellhonestly Wed 14-Aug-19 20:19:10

Can't see past M&S myself.

NotMeNoNo Wed 14-Aug-19 20:34:28

Can't you wear ankle pants with ankle boots? (Disclaimer, this may be bad fashion advice).
Boden?

NotMeNoNo Wed 14-Aug-19 20:38:49

Also a lot depends on your overall shape, style and what you wear with your trousers. You might not look swamped in wider trousers with a fitted top for instance.

emma6776 Wed 14-Aug-19 20:39:06

I’m in Scotland. I wear Zara ankle grazers in the autumn with socks and boots or brogues. I buy fancy pattered socks and make them a feature. I am a geek though!

Judystilldreamsofhorses Wed 14-Aug-19 22:49:44

Also in Scotland, and wear wide-leg cropped trousers or culottes, with fishnet/crochet/lacy knee-high socks, or tights, underneath. ASOS had a good selection last year. Agree with emma about making them a thing. I wear either brogues or black leather trainers (Stan Smiths, or Continental 80s).

I don’t find ankle boots look great, although all mine are Chelsea boots, so it might just be me - I tend to wear those with opaque tights and short-ish dresses or skirts.

Already excited about opaque tights, tbh. Leg shaving is my worst thing.

Snowdrop30 Thu 15-Aug-19 06:36:47

Lots of good tips here, thanks folks! Alas fitted tops a bit tricky for me as am large of nork (GG). I tend to go for loose silk shirts or shell tops and jackets on top half. I may just need to be brave and go try some ankle grazers and cool socks....

Snowdrop30 Thu 15-Aug-19 06:52:12

So, next question stylistas. Given that I am 5ft 5, big up top, but also thunderous of thigh, what kind of crops can I wear which will be flattering? Bootcut and straight cut are usually advised for me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »