Talk

Advanced search

Soccer Mom coat (and boots)

(24 Posts)
CoatyMcCoatface Tue 13-Aug-19 17:55:08

Can anyone recommend me a decent coat to get me through DS football season? Something warm, preferably waterproof and that covers my bum. I'm a cold creature as it is, so when I say warm, I mean WARM.

I'm just under 5ft 2, size 10.

Recommendations for boots would be good too. Obviously wellies are going to be required some days, but would like something semi stylish for the drier days, that can be worn off the pitch.

Thanks!

GVmama Tue 13-Aug-19 18:11:11

I really like my Arctic Weekend Muck Boots for that, I always have the warmest feet out of all the parents at the side of the pitch.
I haven’t quite cracked the coat thing so will be watching to see if anything takes my fancy.

SuddenBeetE Tue 13-Aug-19 21:02:55

I spend 3 weeknights and all weekend watching my DSs play. You need A North Face arctic parka! Not cheap but mines in its 5th year now.
Boots wise I wear muck boot wellies or old leather riding boots with 2 pairs of thermal socks, don’t bother buying anything nice for your feet they end up filthy.

CoatyMcCoatface Tue 13-Aug-19 21:32:13

Thanks @SuddenBeetE but that is out of my price range. I did quite like the purple one too! But it's £350.

I should have planned a bit better and saved over the last few months!

chasingseagulls Wed 14-Aug-19 10:24:17

The killer with watching sport outdoors is that you are standing still. You don't have the warmth you get from moving around, and once the cold sets in there is bugger all you can do about it.

Coats need to be properly windproof as well as waterproof, and it needs to be from a technical brand, high street lookalikes won't cut it. TNF Arctic parka is unfortunately perfect, you can get them for around half price end of season, lots of obscure outdoor shops do past season, or search eBay. You need to get clever with Google. Not necessarily cheaper, but Fjall Raven, 66 Degree North, Finisterre, Jack Wolfskin, Helly Hansen, Alpine Trek, Arc'teryx, and Montane are brands you might not have considered. Ellis Brigham is a good outdoor site with a decent sale.

Wellies are rubbish, your feet will freeze, they need to insulated, so snow boots, riding boots etc are better, along with thermal socks.

Other things to consider are thermal base layers, a flask of hot drink, and a decent hat which covers your ears.

ZaraW Wed 14-Aug-19 10:50:45

I have a 66 Degree North parka. I got it in the sale for a good price. It's an Icelandic brand so is super warm. It's not me through winter holidays in the Baltics, Sweden and Iceland. Sorrel boots are great. I always get mine in the sale.

TheHoundsofLove Wed 14-Aug-19 13:59:53

I really rate Land's End coats - they're really well designed and I've found them to be indestructible, so they're good value. I've got a couple of versions of the Squall coat and a down-filled coat and they are all properly warm. Some of the colours are a bit iffy, but mine are plain black and I think look pretty stylish (as far as functional coats go).

LuluBellaBlue Wed 14-Aug-19 14:04:56

I found a Didrikson's reduced down to £150 and have to say it’s the warmest snuggish jacket ever, love the giant hood too.
Totally water / wind proof and washes well

Rosesarere Wed 14-Aug-19 14:07:30

I have a landsend expedition parka, it's so so so warm, I'm always cold but this has been fab! It covers your bum and is water proof

JaneJeffer Wed 14-Aug-19 16:47:50

Tog 24 have nice warm coats.

Shannith Wed 14-Aug-19 17:36:13

STEALTH BOAST. I have a North Face Parker from a charity shop that cost £4.

It's white so actually not that unstylish. I have managed to get quite a few similar dog walking coats from them, so worth looking for when it starts to get cold and people have a clear out.

Belgravian Wed 14-Aug-19 18:20:58

Moncler for coats followed by Didriksons.

Whatever boots you buy always take a flat piece of cardboard to stand on as that really helps insulate you from the ground.

SellFridges Wed 14-Aug-19 18:28:12

I got a North Face Arctic Parka in the sale for half price. Worth having a look around.

For boots I wear some old Uggs, with proper soles. The zip has bust though.

umberellaonesie Wed 14-Aug-19 18:34:04

www.landsend.co.uk/Womens_Squall_Stadium_Coat/pp/P_39702.html?cgid=11299
This coat is amazing, keeps you dry warm and no wet bum

CoatyMcCoatface Wed 14-Aug-19 18:50:21

Thanks for all the replies! I thought my dull fashion requirements would be totally overlooked in favour of more fun threads!

Anyway, so far I like these, especially budget wise:

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/didriksons-womens-selma-parka-A4215721.html?colour=124

https://www.tog24.com/collections/womens-jackets-and-coats/products/penny-womens-tcz-thermal-long-jacket-dark-khaki

Anyone have either of these and can comment? Put off slightly by the idea of the soggy fur trim, but a gimungous umbrella is also going to purchased for this season!

Not sure how cosy the Tog one would be?

Daddylonglegs1965 Wed 14-Aug-19 19:02:58

Haven’t got either but if you are a cold fish anyway I would say layer up
and forget what you look like and thaw out and strip off when you get home. Approach shoes or fell boots are great and really keep your feet dry and warm on the football field. A good hat and gloves are also a must and on really wet days a good golf brolley.

Schoolchoicesucks Wed 14-Aug-19 19:10:22

Check Ebay too - I got a new last season mountain warehouse down filled knee length waterproof parka for £60 last year. Like wearing a duvet. It's fab. Not cracked the boots yet though so following recommendations.

MotherForkinShirtBalls Wed 14-Aug-19 19:29:38

I would say lots of layers - thermal vest, tshirt, Merino wool jumper (or two blush). Your feet absolutely need to be warm too so again thermal socks and we'll insulated boots. I'm the same height as you and a size 12 and love my craghoppers Cayley parka. I'm the coldest blooded creature going and it keeps me warm and dry.

Annasgirl Wed 14-Aug-19 19:37:11

Just popped in to say thanks for the references ladies - I too am a football mum. I have lasted to date with a lovely full length "Gant" down coat, which I bought on sale and hunter wellies or timberland boots - but I have now found some Sorel boots which I think I will order for this year.

I would love a Moncler coat but my funds won't stretch to that.

Also, if you put Sorel boots into Pinterest you will get loads of ideas as to how to do cold weather style from the US experts.

JaneJeffer Wed 14-Aug-19 19:51:40

I've got a Tog 24 fleece lined short jacket and it's really warm. I can throw it in the washing machine as well so I love it.

Destinesia Wed 14-Aug-19 20:30:49

Whichever coat you choose, get a micro fleece body warmer to wear underneath (about £10 Amazon). I also put a hot water bottle or a heat pad in it on really cold days.

A really warm hat and gloves makes a big difference too.

CottonSock Wed 14-Aug-19 20:35:24

Op I tried on the selma. It's a lovely flattering coat, but was hip length on me and I'm shorter than you. I got a full length didricksons parka instead half price at Cotswold outdoors. Boots I wear snow boot type but in leather. Fur lined

TheHoundsofLove Thu 15-Aug-19 12:06:00

I bought mine for dog walking, but neoprene lined boots really keep your feet warm. I've got Aigle Parcours and, even in snow, my feet have always been really toasty. Sheepskin lined boots are also great - I've got a pair of the Ugg Wilcox boots that were popular on here a couple of years ago. I tend to alternate, depending on how muddy it is.

oreosoreosoreos Thu 15-Aug-19 12:13:55

I got a pair of snow boots to got I Iceland with in January, and I wish I'd had them for all the years I spent freezing on the sidelines at DSS's footie matches!

Mine are similar to these - looks like you could grab a bargain buying at this time of year!

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/sorel-womens-1964-pac-2-boot-H6114323.html?channable=e65395.MTk0MzA4XzE0Mw&colour=143&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6a2k96E5AIVhrTtCh1c5AcLEAQYBSABEgIDFPDD_BwE

(Sorry, I'm on the app and don't know how to do fancy links!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »