Talk

Advanced search

Help! I need to cover my previously box dye bleached ends without bleaching again?!

(10 Posts)
Elloello Tue 13-Aug-19 12:50:12

Why oh why can I not find a semi permanent hair dye I can cover my previously box dyed hair without having to put more bleach on!
Everything seems to have something to lighten your hair before dyeing it. I just want to even it out and cover the horrid brassy orangey ends that will never go away until I grow them out.
Whatever happened to a proper wash in wash out? I'm naturally a mousey brown and my roots are coming through.
I'm going on holiday this week and would so like to have nicer hair for it 😔. Not in a position to go to pricey hairdressers, I just need to do it at home.
Throw your ideas at me please!

fishonabicycle Tue 13-Aug-19 14:33:01

Semi permanent hair dyes don't have bleach in them!

Elloello Tue 13-Aug-19 18:48:47

But they do, my hair has been permanently lightened by them and now I just want to cover it while it grows out. They all seem to have hydrogen peroxide in. I used loreal castings and it definitely lightened my hair.

Propertyofhood Tue 13-Aug-19 19:16:38

Yes, all box dyes which have a 2 part colour and developer system, have some form of hydrogen peroxide in, in the 'developer' bottle.

You can get wash in wash outs though, superdrug do them, they are called 'Colour Effects'. I don't think they last very long though, the developer is what makes it last!

GreyHare Tue 13-Aug-19 23:36:07

Try a purple shampoo, it should remove the brassy tones.

Kaypee28 Tue 13-Aug-19 23:51:18

All hair colours need peroxide for them
To develop. Anything that hasn't got peroxide in will just wash out.

Kaypee28 Tue 13-Aug-19 23:53:29

If you have a salon services near you, pick up a number 7 colour and a 1.5% bottle of peroxide. Mix half the colour with the peroxide untill it looks like cream and do it that way. That's the lowest peroxide and the colour will help the condition.

LorelaiRoryEmily Tue 13-Aug-19 23:56:02

Semi permanent colours don’t lighten your hair. You’re buying permanent. Can you post a picture?

Fatted Wed 14-Aug-19 00:02:01

What colour is the dyed part of your hair?

If it is has been lightened, then you need to go darker. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with semi permanent dye and look for something permanent. The lightened hair will gradually lighten the darker colour over time regardless of what you use on it. But a permanent colour should last a few weeks for your holiday.

The only long term solution is really to cut the coloured hair out.

Elloello Wed 14-Aug-19 16:35:13

OK I've worked it out. The original stuff I used was permanent hence the lightening but the last one I used was a semi permanent. That's now washed out to reveal a delightful brassy yellow.
So I'm just going to cover it with another semi permanent. Until it grows out. I think it's the only way. Hair is too short to have it cut off.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »