Talk

Advanced search

Best shampoo for hair that gets greasy quickly?

(23 Posts)
Lily2811 Tue 13-Aug-19 12:27:35

Recommendations please 😊

PixieLumos Tue 13-Aug-19 12:29:59

Superdrug own - I can’t remember what’s in it (mango and something else I think) but it’s the green one.

dancemom Tue 13-Aug-19 12:31:07

L'Oréal green clay one

PivotPivotPivottt Tue 13-Aug-19 12:31:09

Following this my hair is so greasy at the moment. Not sure if it's because I'm sweating with the heat .

wigglybeezer Tue 13-Aug-19 14:54:48

I wash my hair with a Dove cleansing bar, followed by a rinse of water with a glug of vinegar added to smooth the hair cuticle and keep the PH of my scalp lower. My hair now lasts ages between washes and my scalp is no longer itchy. The main ingredient in dove bars is a gentle surfactant ( not soap), less harsh than SLS but I find the bars clean more thoroughly than SLS free shampoos I have tried. I don't use a conditioner but do use a squirt of hair serum to smooth things as my hair is quite bushy.

HeyMonkey Tue 13-Aug-19 14:55:50

Lush jumping juniper shampoo bar.

OldGrinch Tue 13-Aug-19 14:56:06

Caffeine shampoos work well for this in my experience

managedmis Tue 13-Aug-19 15:19:50

wigglybeezer

^

Dove soap? As in, the stuff you wash your body with?

slavetothemoney Tue 13-Aug-19 15:49:15

Herbal essences, white tea & mint! I've tried everything going and this is the only one I'll use now!

Geraniumpink Tue 13-Aug-19 16:30:37

I use whatever is cheapest for greasy hair - it is usually about 80p and smells of green apple. Anything else just seems to make it go too soft and lank.

Defender90 Tue 13-Aug-19 16:35:37

Another vote for L'oreal Elvive Clay Shampoo (will attempt a link) it has made a MASSIVE difference to my hair (very greasy had to wash every day). I usually get it from Tesco with my shopping when on special.

www.boots.com/loreal-paris-elvive-extraordinary-clay-re-balancing-shampoo-250ml-10209640

Horsemad Tue 13-Aug-19 16:44:51

Yeah, the L'Oréal Clay shampoo is really good.

4storytoy Tue 13-Aug-19 19:16:55

Aussie Volume shampoo, then Batiste dry shampoo once dried.

mommybear1 Tue 13-Aug-19 19:26:45

Having been a long standing sufferer of greasy hair I have accumulated a number of tips :

If you wash your hair twice it's best and use two different shampoos for each wash;
If you can, use a different shampoo for each time you wash eg wash 1 on Monday use a+b, wash 2 on Wednesday use c+d, Friday use a+c etc;
Only use conditioner on the ends never on the roots;
When rinsing out use cold water - as cold as you can stand to "close the cuticles" - not sure if this works my friend swears by it but I see no benefit tbh;
Lee Stafford and others use to do "detox" shampoos great for stripping the grease out but not great if you have coloured hair;
In between washes if you feel it's greasy spray dry shampoo at the roots on the night rub into your scalp and roots and leave overnight.

HTH

LifeOfBox Tue 13-Aug-19 19:30:53

DD 13 uses Jason’s apricot shampoo, the only thing that works for her teenage greasy hair.

wigglybeezer Tue 13-Aug-19 22:29:42

@ managedmis, yes, believe it or not. I discovered it from researching and trying shampoo bars, the soap based ones did not work for me but a bit of research into ingredients threw up the fact that the main surfactant in Dove bars is also in many sulphate free shampoos so I thought I'd try it. It is really good at getting rid of product buildup and my hair takes longer to feel greasy.

wigglybeezer Tue 13-Aug-19 22:55:54

@managedmis see post above

Potatopia Wed 14-Aug-19 09:25:09

Lush Jumping Juniper or Montalbano

RezCowgirl Wed 14-Aug-19 10:26:56

Another one for the Lush Juniper bar

managedmis Wed 14-Aug-19 12:58:56

wigglybeezer

^^
Thanks, I am so gonna try this!

Richlyfruited Wed 14-Aug-19 13:37:25

Yep using a different shampoo each day (I always have 2/3 on the go) and rinsing with cool water makes a really big difference to my hair!

RuffleCrow Wed 14-Aug-19 13:45:26

I used to have super greasy hair. Had to wash it every day. However, since switching to the Curly Girl method a few weeks ago I can now go 3-4 days between washes. You don't have to have curly hair - mine is barely wavy.

It's a bit complicated to explain here but the key thing is you cut out all SLS, parabens, silicones and ideally alchohol containing products too (although that last one seems to be in practically all conditioners). You also stop brushing your hair so much, stop towel and heat drying (just wrap in a cotton t-shirt) all of which is supposed to prevent further damage.

wigglybeezer Wed 14-Aug-19 16:48:28

Good luck @managedmis hope it works for you, I couldn't get the sensitive Dove bar in my local shop but others have used that for hair. I also found some Dove Shine Revived hair care oil in Home Bargains and have using a few drops of that instead of conditioner.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »