Talk

Advanced search

Fab at 50 - can I do it in a month? Help!

(100 Posts)
Frexit Mon 12-Aug-19 14:16:13

It’s my big birthday next month and I’m having a party to celebrate. I want to look really fab on my special night (this is my first and only birthday party as an adult - I’m not great at being centre of attention) and am hoping the experts on here can help me smile.

Main issues I’d like help with are:

Skin
My diet is rubbish. Waaay too much sugar and my skin is greyish, dull and starting to sag. I’ve got a great set of jowls developing confused

I have really bad puffiness under my eyes with shadows and redness. I look permanently very tired (I sleep very badly too).

I will be dieting for the next month, reducing my carbs and sugar intake significantly and drinking loads of water but is there anything else I can do in terms of supplements or creams/treatments to help my skin and my eye bags? I’ve had facials before and beyond the initial softness, never really feel I’ve benefitted.

Teeth
Any whitening treatments that are ok for sensitive teeth? I’ve been using a charcoal toothpaste and think it’s helped slightly.

Cellulite
I’ve got a body brush I’ve never used. Am tempted to buy this but no idea if it’s just a gimmick. Has anyone used with good results?

Arm flab
I’m a size 14/16 weighing around 11st 11. I’m genetically blessed with horrific bingo wings. Anyone done anything that’s really made a difference to this area?

I know I’m not going to transform myself in a month but turning 50 and trying to choose an outfit for my party is giving me an incentive to tackle these problem areas in the hope of seeing some improvements in that time frame that I can then continue with.

Thanks so much if you have any suggestions smile

FlatheadScrewdriver Mon 12-Aug-19 17:26:55

I don't like facials particularly either, but a gentle exfoliator perhaps, to brighten? Don't go mad with it, and others on here will be far FAR better placed to advise on the best options depending on your skin type. I like the Elemis rose one. Your plan of lots of water and fresh fruit/veg should definitely show in your skin. Cut back the booze too, if you drink.

Re arms, while you can't "spot tone" and solely work on one bit of your body, I think kettlebells could be your friend here. Or for a "no equipment" option, chair dips, push ups, crab walks, or swimming.

I don't know about the cellulite but I suspect you're more conscious of it than anyone else would be - and a subtle fake tan might be more flattering than spending lots of money on creams/gadgets smile

I hope you have a lovely birthday. Am now going to follow your thread to pick up more tips!

thedevilinablackdress Mon 12-Aug-19 17:39:50

I'd focus in good haircut, outfit you feel good in as you are, bright lipstick (if that's your thing) and tackle some of the other stuff longer term.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Mon 12-Aug-19 17:45:30

My priorities would be:
a dress that you feel fantastic in - if it's got sleeves even better, if your upper arms worry you
a haircut
and as The devil says below, a brilliant lipstick. I find Mac lipsticks really good and if you can get in there when it's quiet, the assistants are usually helpful.

For skin - maybe try the Nip and Fab face masks. Not sure how much difference they make, b ut they are nice to use and feel like a treat!

And go to a makeup counter and ask about under-eye stuff. Personally I like the Benefit one, but there are loads out there.

Gonegrey31 Mon 12-Aug-19 17:52:48

Why don’t you book in for a “freshen me up “ type of make up lesson with Bobbi Brown? The cost is redeemable against any products bought . You don’t have to buy lots of things but perhaps a serum foundation and a lovely blush and lipstick might give you an instant lift ? I have found this brand so good for older skin , and all their makeup artists listen to your concerns and give helpful advice. I’m sure you will in any case have a fabulous birthday!

Frexit Mon 12-Aug-19 17:59:39

Thanks all. This is all useful stuff. I feel confident on choosing an outfit and hair has a good cut and I’m hoping my hairdresser will be available to blow dry it on the day. Choosing an outfit with sleeves is probably what I’ll end up doing, it just irks me that I can’t consider sleeveless options sad

Cellulite is really bad. I look at other people’s and mine is defo worse. On front of thighs as well as backs, even with a tan. I really would like to do something about this.

Frexit Mon 12-Aug-19 17:59:56

And the eye bags. They’re terrible!!

Frexit Mon 12-Aug-19 18:00:58

Thank you for the Bobbi Brown idea. I was thinking of doing the same but with Trinny London. Has snubs used their stuff. They seem to have the dewy glowy complexion thing nailed

Frexit Mon 12-Aug-19 18:01:13

*anyone

MadamBatty Mon 12-Aug-19 18:06:08

Take up weights, it’ll really help with the cellulite.

Give up alcohol & coffee too for the month.

OhioOhioOhio Mon 12-Aug-19 18:29:46

A mud mask always makes me feel better.

bionicnemonic Mon 12-Aug-19 18:33:27

Face massage to get the blood to the surface (YouTube)
Body brushing is great

poppinpink Mon 12-Aug-19 18:35:02

I think if your drinking lots of water and eating healthily that will definitely help with the cellulite as you'll be ridding your body of the bad toxins.

EatenByDinosaurs Mon 12-Aug-19 18:48:34

Cellulite - following a keto, or even dirty keto (keto light) will help enormously. You also need a balanced ratio of Omegas 3, 6 and 9s, look for a supplement ehi h has all three.
I have found that adding ground flaxseeds to my food makes a huge difference to my skintone on my legs, arms and butt, it was recommendation from on here. They're v tasty too.

Skin - try a glycolic acid toner, Superdrug, Aldi, The Ordinary and The Inkey List all do cheap but excellent ones. Start using it twice per week, then three times per week for the next two weeks, and then every other day.
Glycolic acid should make a miraculous difference withing about two uses.

Drink loads of water and green tea.

Do you use a facial oil? If not, rosehip oil is often a good place to start, though personally I prefer Jasmine oil.
Invest in some hyaluronic acid too, and apply it after the facial oil, so your routine would be:

Cleanse -> toner -> facial oil -> hyaluronic acid -> facial moisturiser -> sunscreen

Then at night the same but with an occlusive as tr last step, not sunscreen. I've found a thin layer of Vaseline works fantastically as the last step in my nighttime skincare, its revolutionised my skincare.

With sunscreen, if you don't have one you love already, the two I've found to be brilliant, and cheap, are Canmake Mermaid Gel and Biore Watery Essence, both available on Amazon, and both work very well under makeup.

Toners, I just use nice quality pure rosewater from the grocery store and it works well for me.
For cleansing I use African black mud soap from the local health food store, and I double cleanse, so wash my face twice.

EatenByDinosaurs Mon 12-Aug-19 18:51:48

I should have mentioned, some people use facial oil as a last step, but my dermatologist is of the opinion that it should be first. I've tried both ways and first definitely works better for me, and sits better under makeup smile

EatenByDinosaurs Mon 12-Aug-19 18:57:41

The low carbs, loads of water and omegas should make a big difference to eye bags, but I was using a L'Oreal age perfect eye cream in a brown and gold pot which was absolutely outstanding. I'm usually a bit meh about eye creams, but that one knocked it out of the park.

Another trick is Collyre Bleu eye drops, they make your eyes really, really bright and sparkly. I use them on special occasions.

Lastly, coconut oil pulling has really brightened my teeth. It made me gag at first but you get used to it quickly.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Mon 12-Aug-19 18:58:31

I'm a recent convert to Sukin Rosehip oil - it's really lovely.

Any ideas on a dress yet, OP?

Frexit Mon 12-Aug-19 18:59:13

Thank you eaten for that great list. I’ve got to go out with DS now but I’ll be back later and have a proper read. Thanks again everyone flowers

Frexit Mon 12-Aug-19 18:59:57

Remus dress or jumpsuit I’m not sure. Will post pics later!

EatenByDinosaurs Mon 12-Aug-19 19:00:12

Also do NOT be tempted to start any retinoid or retin-A. They are amazing for your skin long term, but they do make things worse before they get better, which would clash horribly with the timing of your party!

EatenByDinosaurs Mon 12-Aug-19 19:02:35

You're welcome Frexit I hope some of its useful smile

Namechangeforthiscancershit Mon 12-Aug-19 19:07:26

You are already fab and (nearly) 50.

You can definitely get glory skin in a month.

I bet you are the only person who notices this cellulite and horrific smile arms

TemporaryPermanent Mon 12-Aug-19 19:15:44

Exercise! Depending on what you do now? You could be well into couch to 5k by the party and that will really show in youe skin and general look. Or start some regular circuits, core or weights classes.

Ponks Mon 12-Aug-19 22:48:14

Something good for puffy eyes is the CAffeine serum from The Ordinary- can get it from Cult Beauty or Look Fantastic - it's only about £5 and great for de-puffing and tightening the skin round the eyes.

Gentlemanwiththistledownhair Mon 12-Aug-19 22:53:28

I have no real advice apart from to recommend you stop using the charcoal toothpaste:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-48216116

I don't like whitening toothpastes generally, but I find my teeth are whiter with the oral b pro-expert professional protection one. They do do a whitening one in the range but I've never tried it. It's the blue gritty one and definitely buffs off stains without eroding the enamel

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »