Talk

Advanced search

Royal style and gossip: From foundation to Foundations...

(996 Posts)
QueenOfTheAndals Thu 18-Jul-19 14:00:51

I've lost count of how many threads we've had! Previous thread.

Let's keep the gossip lighthearted and, as always, stick to critiquing the clothes rather than being overly critical about the women wearing them.

pinkladyapples Thu 18-Jul-19 14:11:49

On the ball thanks Queen!

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 18-Jul-19 14:17:53

Cool title!

Myimaginarycathasfleas Thu 18-Jul-19 14:20:09

With you there, Queen, and love the title, so clever!

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 18-Jul-19 14:24:35

Camilla with animals & cake. Looked like a fun birthday.
However continuing with the foundation theme; in the photo with the little boy; hers looks a tad orange-y ; compared to round the eye.

ajandjjmum Thu 18-Jul-19 14:30:00

Poor Camilla - captured on film with her mouth full!

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 18-Jul-19 14:33:35

I can't take credit for the title - someone else suggested it on the previous thread but I can't remember who! Maybe @Spudlet?

Bringonspring Thu 18-Jul-19 14:35:16

Oooo can I join please

itswinetime Thu 18-Jul-19 14:39:00

I like Eugenies dress from the last thread and I didn't think it was that low but v neck is definitely a more flattering look than the high necks for both York girls I think.

Agree with pp Camila always looks like she's having fun on her engagements.

MamehaSan Thu 18-Jul-19 14:45:31

Eugenie's dress (the bottom half) is almost see through! The cut is much more flattering than her usual high-kneck numbers though. And the colour suits her too.

Elllllle Thu 18-Jul-19 14:52:08

I like the print of Eugenie's dress and the idea of it but as a fellow hourglass, i have to say that style does f*ck all for her and adds a good 5 kilos (style is not about trying to look as skinny as you can, agreed, but it's too flouncy, flippy, much fabric for her height, shape?). It's so hard to dress an hrglass though! Beatrice nailed it last week (?) with the black blazer, satin skirt combo combo imo

Spudlet Thu 18-Jul-19 14:58:54

Oooh 😊 blush

Paradyning Thu 18-Jul-19 15:00:45

Cams looks really lovely.

ElspethFlashman Thu 18-Jul-19 15:20:03

BlingLoving re: your Nivea Q10 question - just use the night cream as a day cream instead. It's richer and imo much nicer than the day cream. The night cream is one of my HGs but I've definitely used it during the day in the winter.

ElspethFlashman Thu 18-Jul-19 15:21:25

Camillas proportions are good (as always) but she needs a stonker of a brooch. It's too plain as it is.

imetaroyal Thu 18-Jul-19 15:28:58

Long time poster on these threads but have name changed as my post may be outing.

Some years back I was at a sports event and sitting right behind me in the ordinary seating area was Eugenie. No exclusion zone for her though her security detail were nearby. I asked her very discreetly was she Eugenie, though not quite as blatantly as that. She neither confirmed or denied but smiled.
She was with a boy friend. From the overheard conversation she didn't know him that well.
She appeared a really nice down to earth girl.

BlingLoving Thu 18-Jul-19 15:29:26

@elspeth actually - i was using the night cream as a day cream for a while and come to think of it, it's since I went back to the day cream I've really been feeling the need for something.

But someone once told me not to use night cream as a day cream because they have retinol or something in them which can cause discoloration of the skin in the sun? Also, the day cream has an SPF factor.

Horsemad Thu 18-Jul-19 15:41:22

Placemarking. 🙂

ElspethFlashman Thu 18-Jul-19 15:44:21

I don't think that one has anything in it tbh? Regardless I always use sunscreen anyway on top. A light one.

ElspethFlashman Thu 18-Jul-19 15:44:51

You could always try my Aldi spf 30 one!

frugalkitty Thu 18-Jul-19 15:48:00

Checking in, thanks for the new thread Queen

I really liked Eugenie's dress on the last thread too, it's a thumbs up from me!

SunshineCake Thu 18-Jul-19 16:13:41

I've been using new stuff after I started a thread and along with washing my face in sanctuary facial oil morning and evening and using an eye cream too, my skins never looked so good and I look less ugly. Having read the end of the last thread I think I need a sun protection cream too though. Any recommendations would be great and does it go on after the moisturiser?

Nice to see Eugenie in a low neck line. She always has a lovely smile.

Notmyrealname855 Thu 18-Jul-19 16:13:47

Another thumbs up to E’s dress! She’s young with a cracking figure, why not? Plus I’m a cleavage defender - it can be hard to cover, and unless it’s very saucy then others can just bite their tongues smile sweet to hear the anecdote about meeting her! She seems a truly lovely person

Is anyone else staring at the word foundation and thinking it looks really weird?! Foundation, foundation.... the u is throwing me!

UrsulaPandress Thu 18-Jul-19 16:22:08

Missed the end of the last thread as I was in a signal free zone.

Off to catch up.

beanaseireann Thu 18-Jul-19 16:35:35

Thank you for the new thread QueenoftheAndals.
Great title.

AudacityOfHope Thu 18-Jul-19 16:37:32

Thanks Queen!

GotToGoMyOwnWay Thu 18-Jul-19 16:56:46

Thanks for the new thread

latedecember1963 Thu 18-Jul-19 17:02:16

Thanks for the new thread, Queen. 🍸 Can't believe the speed at which we're whizzing through them. I remember your 1st tentative " would anybody be interested in ..." question last summer. Bet you never imagined the response. This has become my first port of call each morning.

AliasGrape Thu 18-Jul-19 17:43:34

Thanks for the new thread Queen

On the topic of foundation- there was a thread on here a while back raving on about a primark foundation. I’ve just run out of my current one and at present my budget is definitely more primark than royal, but can’t find the thread and not sure which of the primark ones was being lauded. I may pick up a couple this weekend and try them out.

Paradyning Thu 18-Jul-19 17:46:22

I have Sofia scarf jealousy

Thanks for posting the link.

justasking111 Thu 18-Jul-19 17:48:07

Eugenie has a voluptuous figure so v necks, pulled in waist really suit her. She reminds me of Joan from Mad Men figure wise.

GlamGiraffe Thu 18-Jul-19 17:57:08

So on the topic of foundations, what do we all think Kate is wearing under her very tight clothes? She has not a line in sight. Even a thing can leave a slight mark and I wouldn't imagine she has big enough boobs to go bra less. Even a stick on leaves a slight ridge around the top at the front and a normal one has the odd mark at the back. I'm mystified. Knickerless? And the bra situation?
I hate it when my underwear shows?

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 18-Jul-19 18:08:19

Those Spanx that go from mid-thigh to the bra line? She's so slim that they wouldn't give her any kind of muffin top.

mathanxiety Thu 18-Jul-19 18:21:05

I love the shape of Eugenie's dress but the colour and pattern are not to my taste.Maybe if the flowers on the dress were shades of pink or red or even black/charcoal it would work better, and with non-nude shoes.

Paradyning Thu 18-Jul-19 18:21:21

You could see Kate's pants in that green Wimbledon dress imo

Paradyning Thu 18-Jul-19 18:21:45

Well, the little bow as I said in precocious thread

AppleKatie Thu 18-Jul-19 18:21:48

Checking in.

Often a body suit? So no join between Spanx and bra I would guess?

FATEdestiny Thu 18-Jul-19 18:32:17

[Crown]

Myimaginarycathasfleas Thu 18-Jul-19 18:33:04

VPL's only an issue if you have a bit of 'padding' for the elastic to sink into. Kate's very toned and lean so she probably doesn't need to wear anything special, lucky thing.

RomaineCalm Thu 18-Jul-19 18:48:49

I clearly don't have enough to do as I've often wondered about Kate's underwear and the fact that she never seems to have any VPL. My conclusion was that it's a combination of body suits, 'big' pants and slips.

I'm even more mystified by what one wears under the ubiquitous coat dress - the material doesn't look comfy enough to just wear bra/pants and yet there's rarely any hint of a light dress or slip.

DobbyTheHouseElk Thu 18-Jul-19 19:00:17

Checking in.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 18-Jul-19 19:07:50

The Cambridges are in Mustique

mikado1 Thu 18-Jul-19 19:08:45

Checking in

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 18-Jul-19 19:10:21

Just reposting Eugenie’s dress from the last thread.
Shape is great; print it just hideous

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 18-Jul-19 19:13:24

[[https://www.newmyroyals.com/2019/07/queen-silvia-and-princesss-madeleine.html Queen Silvia and Princess Madeline attending a
I like the white as opposed to black choice for mourning.

MotherofPearl Thu 18-Jul-19 19:13:32

I think Eug's dress is great - pattern and all! I am so pleased she's taken our advice about v-necks. Makes a huge difference.

Thanks for the new thread Queen.

megletthesecond Thu 18-Jul-19 19:19:34

Ah, I like Eugenies print.

MotherofPearl Thu 18-Jul-19 19:19:55

Leti looking great in Hugo Boss. Love the shoes.

Myimaginarycathasfleas Thu 18-Jul-19 19:20:00

I've seen the house they stay in (or have stayed in) on Mustique. It's in a lovely position, quite private and elevated above the beach. I'd definitely choose it for a holiday!

AppleKatie Thu 18-Jul-19 19:23:09

Ok not keen on that one of Leti’s the colour/pattern makes me feel a bit migrainey.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 18-Jul-19 19:32:10

Have you been to Mustique @Myimaginarycathasfleas ?

FogCutter Thu 18-Jul-19 19:36:57

Ooh that dress is making my eyes go all funny!

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 18-Jul-19 19:38:13

Apparently this is where they stay on Mustique Aurora House

Holidays like that would make me want to be rich.....

StCharlotte Thu 18-Jul-19 19:40:34

Can - hardly - keep - up - with - the - threads <breathless>

latedecember1963 I presume they whizz by because there are many more posters. I think I've managed at least one comment on each one (with a name change). I would probably have stepped away from MN but for these threads.

Thanks for the new thread Queen.

StCharlotte Thu 18-Jul-19 19:45:03

I think Eugenie loiks magnificent in that dress. Plus ca change!

StCharlotte Thu 18-Jul-19 19:45:20

* looks 🙄

ElspethFlashman Thu 18-Jul-19 19:47:19

Love Letis unusual print. 👍

Love Eugenie's boobs V neck.

ElspethFlashman Thu 18-Jul-19 19:52:05

That house has only 2 doubles and 1 single though!

2 bedrooms in an adjoining cottage but presumably they're for security? Or would they sleep down the road I wonder?

AppleKatie Thu 18-Jul-19 19:59:13

Double for Kate and William,
Double for the boys (sure they can get the bed changed for twins no problem)
Single for Charlotte.

Two bedroom cottage for the the nannies.

Security down the hill?

Tbh I would assume that the configuration inside the house can be changed to whatever they want it to be for £££&

ElspethFlashman Thu 18-Jul-19 20:16:08

Do they not stay with Carole and Michael then? I rather thought that they did. But perhaps since having the kids it's not feasible.

itswinetime Thu 18-Jul-19 20:21:31

I'm confused in the link curly posted it's a 5 bedroom house that's sleeps 8 that's loads of room so why are people talking about a smaller place have I missed something again 🤷🏻‍♀️

Myimaginarycathasfleas Thu 18-Jul-19 20:34:07

Have you been to Mustique *@Myimaginarycathasfleas ?*

Yes, twice @CurlyWurlyTwirly, but I'll fess up, only as a day tripper! It was lovely though.

Myimaginarycathasfleas Thu 18-Jul-19 20:38:18

Looking at that link it isn't the house pointed out to us, although it did overlook Macaroni Beach. Looks like they upgraded!

Gooseysgirl Thu 18-Jul-19 21:03:45

I can't even see Carl P's face in that photo and I want to have my wicked way with him 🤤
Eugenie looking fab - if you've got it, flaunt it 😉

Daisypie Thu 18-Jul-19 21:16:41

Love that look on Eug.

banivani Thu 18-Jul-19 21:18:52

It’s been a cold summer in Sweden but not quite scarf cold in my opinion 🤔 might be windy where they are though. Cynically I’m wondering if they are pushing the scarves.

frugalkitty Thu 18-Jul-19 21:20:07

Goosey I know what you mean about CP but he's just too short which knocks him off the shagability scale for me <shallow>

For balance, seeing as the issue of what Kate may or may not wear underwear wise has been raised , am I allowed to do the same for Hottie Haakon in the airing cupboard? grin

Wetdogloveshubert Thu 18-Jul-19 22:14:34

Thanks for the new thread, @QueenOfTheAndals! star

I like the underwear talk! I wonder if Kate's dresses have undies sewn in?

JaimeBronde Thu 18-Jul-19 22:25:19

Thanks for new thread Queen.
I think these threads would be great as a book!
Back to Eugenie in her green frock. She looks gorgeous though I'd lop an inch or 2 off the hem as she's got great legs.

Lotions & potions, tried Astral as lots of posters raved about it but I didn't like it as caused my skin to dry out & go rough & itchy. I think it's because it's mainly petrolatum based. Vaseline does the same thing to my face/body too. Hate the stuff.
I tend to stick to things that contain more recent plant oils rather than fossilised plants.
Face stuff I'm a mixture of LE, Clarins, Aldi & M&S & also like the Garnier Micellar Water with the pink lid & Superdrug Fragrance Free Cleansing Wipes (yes naughty)

I remember a time before Cleansing/Make Up Remover wipes & to be fair we didn't miss what we didn't have. I need to give my wipes up.

SenecaFalls Thu 18-Jul-19 22:26:32

Hello, y'all, and thanks for the new thread Queen. Love all the skincare tips, by the way.

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 18-Jul-19 22:31:14

I wonder if Kate's dresses have undies sewn in?

How would she go to the toilet then @Wetdogloveshubert???

Wetdogloveshubert Thu 18-Jul-19 22:36:29

grin I was thinking more along the lines of her brassieres! I'd think the same as previous posters - old fashioned slips, big granny pants, or all-in-ones.

DevonUkelele Thu 18-Jul-19 22:36:49

I've been desperately searching looking for a frock for a dressy day occasion, and just about everything looks like Eugenie's - loud pattern, v-neck or wrap, little belt, full skirt, georgette sleeves (and sometimes skirt). She's very on point!

Gee the body language in the Swedish royal photo is interesting, isn't it? I wonder how that queen (Sylvia?) is as a mother in law grin.

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 18-Jul-19 22:45:44

@DevonUkelele I always wonder if HCP realises that Sofia is a dead ringer for a young Silvia?

DevonUkelele Thu 18-Jul-19 23:11:13

Yes @Queen! Though they all seem very alike to me - CPV and her husband too. I think that's why I am often not sure which is which!

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 19-Jul-19 00:13:40

@Myimaginarycathasfleas

I only googled Aurora house <as I am so nosy>
They stayed there before in 2015; may well have upgraded to a bigger one.

Where were you on holiday to do a day trip to Mustique?

BigGreenOlives Fri 19-Jul-19 00:18:11

Thank you for the new thread Queen.

When we were sailing in the Grenadines our skipper wouldn’t go to Mustique as he said there were too many mozzies so we went to the Tobago Cays instead. Heaven.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 19-Jul-19 07:06:17

Yes I’ve wondered that about Mustique.
Visitors must stay indoors in the à/c to avoid all the mozzies.

Paradyning Fri 19-Jul-19 07:53:31

There's an interesting piece here
http://www.meghansmirror.com/special-feature/the-great-meghan-earring-mystery/
About Megs' earrings and potential copyright issues between designers.

EleanorReally Fri 19-Jul-19 08:00:26

Wasnt Princess MArgaret on Mustique an awful lot

Notmyrealname855 Fri 19-Jul-19 08:00:59

Oooh Paradyning that’s one for Diet Prada! Very embarrassing if Lorraine Schwartz has been copying - I didn’t know where those earrings came from but liked them a lot, and have heard of the Greek guy. If they’re custom LS they must cost a bomb, but then where did the design come from? Not H&M as otherwise they’d just buy from the Greek guy...

My moneys on it all being a mistake and not being LS...

EleanorReally Fri 19-Jul-19 08:18:17

Actually i think she lived there. princess Margaret

Paradyning Fri 19-Jul-19 08:25:28

Was thinking the same Notmyrealname855. Very diplomatic statement from Nikos

BigGreenOlives Fri 19-Jul-19 08:28:26

I don’t think she ever lived there full time, I think she was given a house when Mustique was first developed in the early 60s and she was part of that social set so helped it take off. Her children sold the house after she died. I used to know a couple who own a lovely house on the island, they rent it out when they aren’t using it. It was about $7500 a week plus tips to staff. Some other friends stayed there and hated having staff in the house the whole time and left early!

ElspethFlashman Fri 19-Jul-19 09:02:08

Again, I urge people to buy, beg, borrow or steal the book Ma'am Darling.

Margaret had the world's most brass neck, and when her friend bought Mustique, she demanded a prime beachfront parcel of land as a present. I'm not sure without checking the book if she paid anything for it at all.

I think she spent about a month a year there.

pinkladyapples Fri 19-Jul-19 09:19:49

Some more photos of Eugene in the green dress.

www.newmyroyals.com/2019/07/princess-eugenie-of-york-visited.html

beanaseireann Fri 19-Jul-19 09:26:52

Apropos of nothing on this thread, I was shocked when I found out that the red wine, Tignanello, after which Meghan named her blog- The Tig, is over €100 a bottle** shock
Expensive taste!

pinkladyapples Fri 19-Jul-19 09:29:39

*Eugenie I meant in my last post, not Eugene! blush

Bellasblankexpression Fri 19-Jul-19 09:55:23

@ElspethFlashman I loved Ma’am Darling - aside from the reflections into what might have been, I skipped those - but gobbled up the rest!

I like Eugenie’s dress a lot but agree that big floral prints are a bit much - I prefer smaller prints but then I suppose it can look a bit busy! She has a great figure though and is a really beautiful girl, her skin always seems to be glowing!

Bellasblankexpression Fri 19-Jul-19 09:56:15

Oh and I bought Nivea soft off the back of this thread - it’s bloody magical!
I also tried the Superdrug own brand vitamin e range and I have to say it knocks the socks of more expensive vitamin e products I’ve tried. Noticeable difference after two nights of using it!

pinkladyapples Fri 19-Jul-19 10:29:15

@Bellasblankexpression

Glad you like it! I also use Superdrug Vitamin E range, its great, their Naturally Radiant range is great too, similar to Boots Botanics but I prefer the Superdrug own brands to Boots. Always seem to be great. The night cream is great!

pinkladyapples Fri 19-Jul-19 10:30:02

Need to work on my adjectives, I used "great" 4 times in my last post grin

latedecember1963 Fri 19-Jul-19 10:39:02

I find I get a noticeable difference in my complexion if I have a change every so often. I love the Estee Lauder one mentioned on the last thread but also use Gattineau, Liz Earl Super Skin, M&S 8 Hours Sleep, Body Shop Hemp as well as Nivea.
For my neck and decollatage I either use Gattineau firming gel or Prai neck and decollatage cream. Any residue left on my fingers goes on my scaly elbows.
I'm going to track down Ma'am Darling" for my summer caravan read as I found the portrayal of Margaret fascinating in The Crown.

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 19-Jul-19 10:57:54

Ma'am Darling is fab, I quite liked the author's little forays into what might've been.

What struck me most was that despite her beauty and privilege, Margaret was a fundamentally unhappy woman who lacked a purpose in life. Apparently she also bemoaned her lack of education.

As I've said on previous threads, had she been born a hundred years earlier she'd have made a marvellous queen or grand duchess in a foreign land.

Myimaginarycathasfleas Fri 19-Jul-19 11:18:24

@CurlyWurlyTwirly yes, we were on holiday. Cruises actually (on nice small ships!). Not all itineraries take in St Vincent or Bequia (another of my favourite islands) from where the Mustique trips run. They strictly limit the number of visitors so it's not at all intrusive.

We didn't encounter any mosquitos in December or February. It's a lovely place to spend the day but eerily quiet, if there are celebrities or royalty present you wouldn't know it. Rather like Burgh Island in Devon.

I loved "Ma'am Darling". PM doesn't come across that well even with the kindest of interpretations but I was mostly struck with what a gold plated shit her husband was. She really did have quite an unhappy life with him.

BlingLoving Fri 19-Jul-19 11:40:07

@banivani As someone who wears a scarf roughly 300 out of 365 days a year, I think the scarf seemed perfectly reasonable. I laughed hysterically when I announced my first pregnancy because a colleague said she'd been suspicious because I was wearing scarves a lot. I pointed out that I wear scarves almost every day no matter what!!

Rhubarbisevil Fri 19-Jul-19 12:06:11

Checking in!!

Laiste Fri 19-Jul-19 12:12:31

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0008203636/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_sr?condition=used&tag=mumsnetforu03-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1563534634&sr=8-1

Ma'am Darling. Amazon. Just ordered a copy (used) for three pounds smile

DevonUkelele Fri 19-Jul-19 12:18:54

As I've said on previous threads, had she been born a hundred years earlier she'd have made a marvellous queen or grand duchess in a foreign land.

Or indeed, maybe 50-100 years later she might have found a purpose, such as land mines or Antarctica or African animals 🤔.

Poor old PM, she really was the spare caught out in history.

And, yes, it does seem like Tony Armstrong-Jones was a bit of a turd. I wonder if Peter Townsend would have been any better

(All research, c/- The Crown @ Netflix 😉)

SlipperOrchid Fri 19-Jul-19 12:19:50

Checking in.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »