Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Missing: one waist. And while I'm waiting for it to come back, can you tell me what jeans to buy?

(8 Posts)
vonsudenfed Sun 29-Jul-07 19:22:55

It is now eight long months since dd was born. And I have, slowly but surely been shrinking. Well, except for one thing, which is my waist. Before I was curvy, now I look like a tree-trunk with norks. It's not good.

So, two questions. One, what's the best way to get it back, bar surgery. Can't diet that seriously either as am bf still.

Two, what jeans do I wear while I am waiting? I can get my legs into my old jeans, no problem, but there's still an inch of slack stopping me getting the button done up. And when I went to Gap, the jeans either fitted my legs or my waist but not both.

I've two pairs of the M&S Per Una mum jeans, which do fit, but I'd like something, well, a bit more glamourous. And I'm off to London this week, so please tell me that there are some jeans out there in the world for me?!?

FillydoraTonks Sun 29-Jul-07 19:28:56

oh yes, have this problem also, sadly compunded by repeatedly getting pg again during shrinking phase

I would actually suggest Not Jeans. Sorry. Jeans are not generally kind to the waist. You need something loose fitting really, something that can flare out a bit. Its better to look like you have a waist and are a bit wider in the legs than to look like a tree trunk, IMO.

I think re getting it back, the only way is exercise, (lots of pelvic floor stuff. Pilates very good also) but it will be partly genes also.

littlelapin Sun 29-Jul-07 19:31:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FillydoraTonks Sun 29-Jul-07 19:33:31

flares might be the way to go

if you have a thick waist you must seek balance

would seriously consider no jeans but have said this before. without a waist there is the risk of the tony blair look.

vonsudenfed Sun 29-Jul-07 20:11:49

Yeeees, I need to get my head around the no jeans thing. I'm used to wearing them even for work, but you may have a point. I'll go and try on some different kinds of thing and see what works.

It's wierd, all the Big Stuff of motherhood I'm fine with. But, having worked through a lot of bad looks and finally worked out what suits me, now I have to start all over again as a different shape. Only I'd quite like to miss out the bad looks phase this time if at all possible.

FillydoraTonks Sun 29-Jul-07 20:13:20

i know i know

i love jeans also

but have to accept that they make me look very mumsy. Bascially, when I wear jeans, it is very obvious that I am no longer a virginal young thing.

Pannacotta Sun 29-Jul-07 22:04:45

V sad state of affairs isn't it?!
Agree with Filly, jeans not ideal for the "column" figure (I have this anyway, just even more so after 2 DCs....)
Think loose fitting/wide leg trousers or even decent combats are more flattering to the post baby figure. A line skirts also good IME.
Also agree Pilates is good if you have time/opportunity.
I did try and find some good post baby jeans myself but have now given up.

KristinaM Sun 29-Jul-07 23:41:32

my youngest is 18 montsh old and i still have this problem . i am also still Bf and have been doing pilates twice a week and i still have lots of flab around my waist

i have quite good legs & bum so used to wear slim jeans. i have reluctantly accepted that they are not for me until I lose weight, as i look really top heavy with large BF norks and flabby tum. So now i wear very wide leg jeans or linen trousers. i find if you get a heavy weight linen in a mid/dark colour then they dont crease.

I have also given up my skinny fitting clingy t shirts due to ugly BF bra and flabby arms and back .... oh the shame of it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: