Talk

Advanced search

Les Parisiennes des Mamansnet: Too much good taste can be very boring. Independent style, on the other hand, can be very inspiring.

(996 Posts)
botemp Sat 13-Jul-19 13:20:47

Lovers of Parisian style and fashion with a conscious mindset and lots of chatter in between.

----

Favoured Parisian addresses:

Second Hand Shops

Outlets

Favoured London addresses:

Charity Shops, Dress Agencies, and Outlets

Favoured NYC addresses:

Consignment shops, Vintage, and Restaurants

----

Previous threads:

Un

Deux

Trois

Quatre

Cinq

Six

Sept

Huit

botemp Wed 30-Oct-19 09:42:06

New thread and store with totes is up (link is in the OP). I am still playing around with it. I've driven prices down as much as possible but, alas, this print on demand business is never going to be cheap.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/3730806-Les-Parisiennes-de-Mamansnet-Be-More-Aunt-Larry

Floisme Wed 30-Oct-19 08:21:47

It was quite frustrating in many ways, Red as they just couldn't pin her down so they ended up resorting to showing a lot of old clips. I wanted to know more about the years when the business really struggled and nearly went bust, and about how the fashion establishment cold shouldered her for so long. But maybe she didn't want to talk about any of that. Still it was worth it just for the outfits!

Redandblue11 Wed 30-Oct-19 08:10:11

I am going to watch that documentary Flo really admite her.

We miss you too Elle, I hope the renovations are going well though, when are they planned to be finished? Which side of Xmas?

Maxima you are looking very well, pls update us with the findings from personal shopper experience.

Today I am wearing the Sandro blazer I got the other day second hand, is a bottle green and wearing with silk blouse in a light green (the word for that specific tone scapes me), I quite like doing tonal dressing when I am unsure of combinations.
I need to invest more in proper expensive blazers tough, the cut and fit you get from this is a million times better than from a high street one. Specially if you, like me, don’t have model like shoulders and one shoulder sits slightly lower.
The fit reminds me of some of the jackets that Andrea from Call My Agent wears.

Floisme Wed 30-Oct-19 07:16:06

If you fear the grandma word (and personally I think it's pointless but that's for another time) then watch the Vivienne Westwood documentary. We saw it last night: disappointing in many ways, although I can imagine she was very difficult to pin down, but God she looks amazing and also every day of her 78 years. I think she looks better now than she did when she was young - she seems to have grown into herself somehow. Very inspiring. I must wear more colour again.

ToEllewithIt Tue 29-Oct-19 20:25:00

I have to get in with a shameless place mark on the totes and any Paris trip.

I’ve been swamped with the renovation and work, but I really want to dive back into this thread. I miss you all!

Redandblue11 Tue 29-Oct-19 18:21:39

grin that would have been funny , no is not you springtime , well you know what I mean
It would have been good though

XingMing Tue 29-Oct-19 13:33:18

I enjoyed the KarenBritChick footage of NYC; thank you quirky (?). It made me all nostalgic for my twenties. And some amazing statement coats for men; DS's would fit right in.

He's going to a Halloween party tomorrow, and we've just been costuming him (and his GF) so he ransacked my back up/resting wardrobe for her. Then he wanted a black overcoat... I exhumed one of my mum's she passed on many years ago that I don't use much and he's thrilled even though the sleeves are too short. Another co-ownership item. It's like going back to flat-sharing. And I found a little brooch I have been looking for for years!

XingMing Tue 29-Oct-19 13:20:04

Holding my breath to know if red and springtime are acquainted IRL.

ParisInTheSpringtime Tue 29-Oct-19 11:52:39

@Redandblue11 shock I don’t think so... how do we work it out?!! 😂 if you are the person who I’m travelling with, we met abroad...

Redandblue11 Tue 29-Oct-19 11:25:48

springtime do I know you?? You are not the other person traveling with me are you??

quirkychick Tue 29-Oct-19 10:20:36

Springtime, I'm trying hard not to look like a grandma, not helped by teenage dd1 saying it's a "granny" cardi!

ParisInTheSpringtime Tue 29-Oct-19 09:46:11

@Redandblue11 I will also be in Paris 17/18 January - it’s a good time to go! I am following the cardigans with envy. Unfortunately they make me look like my grandmother (and not in a good way).

quirkychick Tue 29-Oct-19 09:40:23

I meant to post this version, as you can see it better.

Nice boat neck, festiva. The jumper I wore with the tartan skirt has a high boat neck, but just didn't photograph well.

quirkychick Tue 29-Oct-19 09:34:37

This is me trying not to look frumptastic in a cardigan. Going for something closer to the Sezane photos, with a couple of buttons undone than full on ridiculous sexigan grin. Not totally sold on the colour, but looks OK with darker colours, I think.

I obviously need to stop putting my bags on the floor. Not always possible with dd2, but maybe I need to use a different bag when out and about with her.

FestivaMaxima Tue 29-Oct-19 09:31:03

Ha ha on the christening outfit advice. I actually like all the midis posted - they’re much nicer than the milkmaid / little house on the prairie numbers that were everywhere last summer. Just still not sure they’re right on me. Although I definitely need to open my mind. Will consider jumpsuits and skirt and top combos. Or top and trousers... I’ll report back.
Red I really like your purchases, especially the jumper.
Not great lighting but here is my second hand Sezane jumper and close up of the boat neck.

botemp Tue 29-Oct-19 08:49:01

I haven't seen them in Paris, but may have seen them at Liberty's, I think? Just check their website for stockists, I'm sure something nearby will show up. My luxury department store that sells them is owned by the Selfridges group so assuming there's some overlap somewhere.

Jan 17th definitely too early for me, I'll get booking my own dates.

I need to rewatch that karenbritchick video to find out what company that woman was working for that made the coats. I think it's just coated and taped up gabardine with a print, rather than actual tweed. I couldn't figure out if she was purposefully wearing it inside out (seems a bit of a streetwear trend here) or that it was purposefully designed like that.

OT, I like Karen a lot but her disclosure when something is an ad pisses me off, she's had a couple of videos where you're not aware an entire section or the entirety of it is sponsored until you're too far in.

Redandblue11 Tue 29-Oct-19 08:37:41

bo do you know if those tights are stocked in Paris anywhere? X

Redandblue11 Tue 29-Oct-19 08:35:54

Sometimes you wait for a post and then this!
Your parka quirky! The shape looks great great buy there.
I am chuckling at the totes , specially at the sainbvrys one, I imagine myself in the aisle getting looks by their staff as I get a baguette 🥖
I am hooked with Karenbritchick, my friend found a checked parka/trench in a secondhand in Brussels and is the envy of all us here.
Ah! And as it turns out I will be in Paris on the 17 Jan for a couple of days So really looking forward to that. Might be too early to cross paths with you Bo though.
Today is utilitarian clothes as going into the woods with children , still no need to look a muddy mess will see what I can do .

Floisme Tue 29-Oct-19 07:18:36

Welcome Springtime although no need to ask - just get posting smile

Totes amazing bo - I've waited 10 years to say that without feeling like a knob.

Xing you look so chic and elegant. My son has also got the room with the best mirrors and the best light - how did that happen?

And quirky thank you for that link which I've only just spotted blush I'm intrigued by waterproof tweed. Speaking of which I'm getting my favourite coat out today as it looks like being that perfect combination of cold and dry.

botemp Mon 28-Oct-19 21:19:54

I don't know quirky, it's just an online platform that you upload your design to and anyone can buy it from anywhere and they ship it out. It's the most hassle free option as organising it myself and shipping it to everyone is not something I'm willing to take on and I doubt it would be cost effective anyhow. I never put bags on the floor (except occasionally in changing rooms as they often have nowhere to go) due to superstition, one of the few that have stuck. Light bags just get ruined by groceries from the inside out for me 🤷 Online reviews of the tote are good though, but I suspect they're your average cheapy tote that's free with a purchase quality.

Red, I have Swedish stockings. They're nice but they are a bit different, they absorb more light than normal opaques but they're less black than others so they can be a bit off looking now and then as they don't always work with black clothing. I prefer their other sheer and patterned models more.

banivani Mon 28-Oct-19 21:02:45

Red I haven’t tried the Swedish Stockings myself I’m afraid - they’re reasonably popular though. When the brand was new I considered buying them but at the time I was of the opinion that for that price I wanted a reinforced foot, not just toe. Don’t know if I’ve changed my mind tbh.

quirkychick Mon 28-Oct-19 20:47:44

Bienvenue Springtime. That coat, Xing, what a steal!

I love the totes, bo, but are they durable as quite a few "bags for life" actually have quite limited life <looking at you, doc martens bag>. Also, you need to not be putting them on the floor or ground when they are pale, the wet muddy look is not great.

botemp Mon 28-Oct-19 20:30:59

Need to catch up properly later so will quickly say you both look fantastic Quirky and Xing! And welcome Springtime smile

I've gone and gotten in a bit of a panic as I had committed to making thread totes in celebration of our next anniversary thread but this one's nearly full shock So have rustled some up this evening. I'm happy with the Sainsbury's baguette design (modelled after old fashioned French cologne labels). I've switched up the spelling of Sainsbury's to avoid being sued, not sure if the apostrophe is overkill and looks to much like a mistake but otherwise I'm worried I don't have much of a defense of that it's obviously not from the supermarket itself as there's a cock had to get a penis in there somewhere on it that says je m'en fous above it at the bottom. Unlike the rest of Mumsnet I'm no lawyer though...

I'm undecided on the aunt Larry tote, have tried a few things as the design is so simple. Was initially decided on bottom right but now I quite like the whimsy of top right. Input, please, especially appreciated from Methen.

Pleasantly surprised by the le ridicule ne tue pas which is just the result of me messing about. It's very dark navy text as opposed to black. Surely it should lure in the hipsters, who would wear it ironically without realising they're being ironic grin

XingMing Mon 28-Oct-19 16:41:26

Welcome ,*Springtime*; the more the merrier!

ParisInTheSpringtime Mon 28-Oct-19 16:24:38

Please may I join this party? As the username suggests, big fan of Parisienne style. halo

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »