Talk

Advanced search

Les Parisiennes des Mamansnet: Too much good taste can be very boring. Independent style, on the other hand, can be very inspiring.

(996 Posts)
botemp Sat 13-Jul-19 13:20:47

Lovers of Parisian style and fashion with a conscious mindset and lots of chatter in between.

----

Favoured Parisian addresses:

Second Hand Shops

Outlets

Favoured London addresses:

Charity Shops, Dress Agencies, and Outlets

Favoured NYC addresses:

Consignment shops, Vintage, and Restaurants

----

Previous threads:

Un

Deux

Trois

Quatre

Cinq

Six

Sept

Huit

XingMing Mon 15-Jul-19 21:50:13

Because, ab initio, we all came in to discuss French style, none of us realised that we were all well past the cafe-clope years, with pretty trimmings. Now we are on to thread x, and old chums, we talk more deeply and sincerely. I think so, at least, but tell me if I have misread.

Redandblue11 Tue 16-Jul-19 07:57:55

Thank you Methen and quirky, yes we had a lot of talk about bras around xmas, I must revisit those posts, but here there is now new info here, I feel so thank you.
Nowadays I cannot bare wired bras, hence my move to mostly, although I have a couple of strapless with underwired and they are very comfortable, ancient models from victoria secret.
xing, I feel you are right in terms of how we write here, although I did join more than half way these threads, that is something I noticed and drew me here.
I never mastered the back to front thing either bani grin

Methenyouplus4 Tue 16-Jul-19 08:04:09

Bani- apologies for poor photos, was quickly shoving it on before actually dressing for the day to show you the backwards t-shirt. If I wear it normally (front facing), you literally see everything if I bend forward even slightly, plus I think a touch of back is more 'day time' sensual than lots of boob on display.

As I said previously, I've actually gone off them this year (after wearing consistantly for a good few years). Though I'm doing a lot of running at the moment, I think poor sleep means I'm really holding weight around my love handles and stomach and I don't feel these are flattering in those areas.

banivani Tue 16-Jul-19 08:05:07

I look forward to seeing pics from the back to front masters grin we’re off to the Eiffel Tower today (because tween traveller) and I think I will wear my Uniqlo dress with the white sandals, eczema and lack of manicure be damned. I’m halfway there.

botemp Tue 16-Jul-19 11:46:20

Playing catch up from the last thread. Cookies issue seem to have passed so hopefully, I’ll manage to keep up now. This is mostly in response from the last thread, will catch up with comments on this one later and I’ve probably got some memememe things as well.

Lovely to see all the new/old faces pop up. Welcome back Nink and lovely to see you posting again Methen and good to hear that your life changes are making way for a better work/life balance. Hope your son is doing well too. I saw a lovely slouchy leather bag at Zara the other day but it was really rather large, you’d probably fit in one of your children easily. I saw it in black but it appears to be available in a few colours, I quite like the red as attached. It was surprisingly cheap for what it was as it’s quite well made and the type of leather that does age well.

Some more blossoms for Bloomed flowers I’m wondering where my bag was on display, but anyhow, it’s from Rokh. It’s highly impractical but I love it. See pic for a better view of it.

I feel you when it comes to hair loss, it’s very demoralising. I’ve had great success with a dermatologist who put me on Minoxidil, don’t know what the cause of yours is obviously, it could just be temporary but if it’s hormone/medical related I’d definitely recommend seeing a derm. I hadn’t really grasped how much it was affecting me (both in mood and behaviour) until a good bit had grown back in again. Can I also suggest headbands? Hats are great when you’re out and about but if your hair loss is anything like mine it’s at the front/middle parting and on a sweaty day the hat hair result of it wasn’t flattering at all and emphasised that area all the more. There’s a Dutch brand despite their faux French name, Atelier des Femmes, they do seem to ship to the UK but at a high-ish price but they’re very structured with wiring within so they sit very well without movement and constant slippage and they’re quite fun. I’m currently eyeing this sort of silk-like head/alice band, it’s very Jackie O in her Onassis years, more elegant than easy/casual which typifies most of their designs. I saw something similar in Paris in real silk but it was frighteningly expensive.

bani, oh dear, I don’t samba… I do tend to muddle up my Spanish, French and Italian all the time and pretend it’s all one language so I suppose I can wear half of my pair of trousers? I’m not arachnophobic in the least, ok there was that one time that a neighbour’s lost tarantula woke me up in my bed in the middle of the night that left some scars, but otherwise, I think I’m still okay to wear my camisoles at least.

I’d definitely read a column called ‘unpolished shoes and scratched glasses’. We’ll have to set up an online platform even though they’re all going down the drain, we’ll call it Substance over Style or something. As I can only speak for myself but I’d pay good money to see you and Flo react to Loic Prigent’s latest mini doc on the Celine menswear’s show and the pseudointellectual boys in frilly silk shirts (they’re probably men and I should really refer to them as such but they seemed to revel in presenting themselves as boys) flocking to attend and their adulation for Hedi Slimane made me want to gouge my eyes out. I don’t think I even made it a third of the way in as the fashion wank was strong and it’s only 10 minutes long. <Bleaches brain once more at the memory of it all>

Red, I’m on the fence with both dresses. Probably because they’d be totally frumspville on me so I tend to categorise them wholesale as such, unfairly. The Hobbs is the better of the two I’d say but I don’t like the blousy thing those dresses do, regardless of whether you have boobs or not it often makes for a top-heavy buttoned-up appearance that then reads as matronly. The animal print dress has a bit of an identity crisis within itself, in my view, it’s cut very straight, especially with the prim collar but the animal print is trying to make it something it’s not as that usually accentuates or creates curves in the right places but it just seems to make you wider horizontally in the pictures, arguably in the wrong places, may read differently in real life? I tend to stick with my mother’s advice, when in doubt don’t proceed, when it feels like something intangible needs fixing it’s usually best to just leave it.

I like the new dress, Bani. I like it with the belt on but it feels more you to go without somehow.

I have to admit I’m much intrigued by balled heel shoes that allow you to walk on ceilings…. They look lovely Xing, do they affect your centre of gravity at all, I find some of those sculptural heels can feel a bit odd when trying on?

Redandblue11 Tue 16-Jul-19 15:55:06

I am happy as the sun is shining again and I can wear my summer dresses. Today is a work from home day and also need to attend School outdoors events as last week before holidays.
I got to wear one of my favourite dresses. What I like about a dress is that you put one thing and you are ready type of thing.
Are you going up the Eiffel Tower Bani? Last time I was there I didn’t as the queue was insane.

Redandblue11 Tue 16-Jul-19 15:55:37

Here a photo of it

Methenyouplus4 Tue 16-Jul-19 16:46:14

Ban- I doubt anyone will notice! Have a fab time. Last time I was up the Eiffel Tower I was 3 months pregnant with our 2nd, after taking stairs to the top (after a day pounding the streets/ galleries etc) I was exhausted and hungry and on the verge of tears as hubby couldn't decide where to eat and kept saying "Let's just check the next set of restaurants..." We ended up in a 'weigh and then pay' Chinese (not very chic!) because I flat refused to walk any further.

Bo I do like that bag. I'm torn as to whether to go for a more practical size like that which would accommodate bag for life/water bottle/ book etc or something with a messenger style shoulder strap for just phone/keys/purse/sunglasses. Perhaps I might get both as, as you said, that one is really reasonably priced.

I did get my legs out today and nobody swooned in horror. I do have photos but need to sort dinner...Will be back later.

banivani Tue 16-Jul-19 16:57:17

My son wanted to go up the Eiffel Tower so we went. Sadly it took a lot out of him the lazy creature so he’s been in a mood now all afternoon. We’re sitting outside the Samsung store on the champs d’elysées testing a bit at the moment. Didn’t wear dress in the end, opted for trousers. Anyway I think the Eiffel Tower is bloody worth it esp if you don’t have miserable kids. Much cooler than I thought it would be! V sad about all the safety building around it though. When I lived in the 7th 25 yrs ago it was all open (‘‘twas all fields) and much prettier. Can’t remember this many tourists at all either granted it was autumn not summer. Queue was an hour for tickets but hey.

BloomedAgain Tue 16-Jul-19 17:36:15

Love that bag Bo. I have admired some Rokh tailoring so should have spotted the file bag. Hopefully will be well enough to get back to work and use such a bag (incentives ...).
I have a derm so will ask her for hair advice as this hair loss is medical. I do have some OTC minoxidil foam which I haven't used yet, but may be too dilute.
I'll look at those headbands, thank you. The hair loss is indeed around the front and parting, which is a pity as I had a fringe and my forehead is rather generous. I've been using some silk scarves but there's too much slip. I'm hoping the derm will also advise on reducing biopsy scars elsewhere.
Today I'm wearing some stretch silk navy trousers by Kit and Ace, with a uniqlo linen shirt. Looking at the sales for flat shoes which will work in summer and winter.

Redandblue11 Tue 16-Jul-19 18:12:26

Bo your eyes are not deceiving... the animal print makes me look very wide.
So I tried the navy dress again and put the belt looser on the belt loops.
What I like about this is that the fabric is lovely, I can wear for work or non work and is in the sale ...
But I know what you mean about the matronly I think IRL that does not come through as much, will ask DH.

On other purchases, I just got this other blue jaeger dress from eBay very cheap at £18 inc postage. Is a work dress, it is a bit loose at the top but not too bad. Might need a belt or not.
At the moment I am suffering from IBS so feeling very bloated which might be showing and not too flattering.

Redandblue11 Tue 16-Jul-19 18:13:04

I keep forgetting photos when I write ... confused

Redandblue11 Tue 16-Jul-19 18:18:41

Bloomed i just googled Kit and Ace, are they US brand? Are you based there?
I remembered that I saw some months ago a very nice swimsuit from them but I saw the price in USD so I did not look any further. Not sure if they stock in the Uk.

YellowVivaldi Tue 16-Jul-19 18:26:04

Marking ma place.

BloomedAgain Tue 16-Jul-19 18:38:57

red they're Canadian but I bought some of my stash in the US/when they had a short-lived store in London, and some via ebay as I rate their stretch silk and their cashmere. I'm in the UK. It seems they only operate out of Canada now.

Methenyouplus4 Tue 16-Jul-19 18:51:38

Argh! Third time attempting to post...

Red- like the black dress, think a different belt might make it look even better but not quite style savvy enough to say what type, am sure someone else can advise (or totally disagree).

Bloomed- could you take the fringe from further back in order to make it look fuller? I remember my hairdresser doing that when I had lots of thinning/wispy postpartum hair.

Would be grateful for feedback on outfit from today; I did get compliments on it, but perhaps that is more because it is not what I would normally wear. Before I buy new clothes (which I need to do over coming months), I plan to play with things I have, in particular trying to work out which silhouettes suit my shape.

My leg is thrust forward in the mirror image just to show it is a wrap, but in reality only splits to just above knee when I walk (second photo of leg is to try and better portray how it sits- more a midi length).

Methenyouplus4 Tue 16-Jul-19 18:59:55

Really need to get a full length mirror, we got rid of a wardrobe with one on and miss having one.

Forgot to say, have made some Ebay purchases which are pending delivery (pictured)
Dark green Zara leather jacket
Patterned top
Flesh coloured leather mules

Will let you know my thoughts when they arrive, all were second hand (though if memory serves mules were unworn), all very reasonable (think with postage top was £4, jacket £17, mules £19 inc postage from America).

Methenyouplus4 Tue 16-Jul-19 19:01:01

Sorry, here are mules.

BloomedAgain Tue 16-Jul-19 19:33:57

That's a good idea Methen, not sure if it's too thin now. I haven't been able to face hairdressers but maybe they can do something.
I really like your outfit today, the mix of khaki, navy and tan. I like the drape of the skirt. I bet your new green zara jacket will suit you.

Redandblue11 Wed 17-Jul-19 07:40:24

Methen I like the shape of the skirt the way it drapes. With regards to the top I really like the cut around the shoulders, it accentuates them in the right way.
I would try that skirt with that sort of top in a different material/texture top, something plain soft texture (the one in photo is broderie?).
Looks good though but I think the pattern skirt would be better suited with something plainer if makes sense.
Btw - love the mules!

BloomedAgain Wed 17-Jul-19 15:31:08

I'm in a waiting room and, looking at images from Poldark in an old magazine, I realise my search for a high necked white shirt is over. I'll just find out how to tie a cravat. Must be a very long length of fabric involved.

Methenyouplus4 Wed 17-Jul-19 19:18:30

Bloomed and Red. Thank you for feedback and yes, it is broderie anglaise. Do you think a bodysuit like that in image would work, if I could find one with a higher neck or perhaps cap sleeves? Just thinking a bodysuit might also help the issue of extra bulk around the waist that tucking tops in creates.

Bloomed- you can create a mood board with Poldark, Mr Darcy etc as your fashion inspiration.

So, I got my legs out at work today for first time in 5 years with no tights (I normally wear black or heavy knitted style in dark colours). Again, it was FAR less scary than I thought and strangely I noticed all the other female staff who were bare legged that I had previously not noticed. I had 3 compliments, one that I looked lovely, one that I looked 'breezy' (and I did feel it as I'm normally sweating in trousers in a hot class crammed with teenage bodies) and the most interesting one- 'nice dress'. I say this because the dress is ancient and I have worn it countless times to work but always with thick black tights and flat black leather boots, I think seeing it worn differently must have made it seem new.

Anyway, I know it's not especially French (but what are a few polka dots between old friends) but would be grateful again for feedback on silhouette. Excuse work toilet selfie.

XingMing Wed 17-Jul-19 21:11:39

@Methen, Silhouette looks very good, and in summer, ditching the opaques is a great call, as well as a survival strategy.

BloomedAgain Wed 17-Jul-19 21:33:41

I may start pinning Recency styles. I've discovered a pamphlet called Neckclothitania from 1818. A guide to cravat tying.
A bodysuit like this might work Methen?
www.theoutnet.com/en-gb/shop/product/bodysuits_cod990541377756285.html#dept=INTL_Bodysuits_TOPS_CLOTHING

ToEllewithIt Thu 18-Jul-19 11:43:33

methen the back to front t-shirt looks great. I love the outfit you posted, wouldn’t change a thing. Maybe add a couple of bangles if you wanted? Silhouette is really good on you IMO, the slightly looser top actually makes your waist look more defined versus the t-shirts above. If you want to try a body suit I’ve been really happy with these ones from ninety percent, they are not skin-tight which works well, (ha just after I wrote this I scrolled down and see that Bloom had recommended the same) www.ninetypercent.com/products/ss-boy-fit-crew-t-shirt-body?color=navy Green leather jacket looks like a great colour.

I’m another one who has moved away from heavily padded bras, I do like light padding though to prevent nips showing through clothes.

Botemp That Zara tote is lovely. Was is just me or were the moels in that Celine menswear show absolutely terrifyingly thin. I thought we’d moved past that.

red really like the sailor dress. New blue dress is definitely making you look a bit top-heavy IMO (when you’re definitely not) so maybe investigate taking in around the waist? Would you try a wide tan belt with the Hobbs dress?

Bani hope the rest of the trip goes well

I ordered this dress on a bit of a whim, but I think it’ll have to go back: www.modaoperandi.com/kalita-r19/utopia-open-back-linen-gown It’s really lovely on, nice linen and long enough on me, plus I can wear without a bra, but I think I just have to accept that it’s not a lifestyle fit. I ordered it based on the lifestyle I wish I had – swanning around a pool / luxury resort for several weeks of the year. Back in the real world it would only get an outing on sun holidays so maximum of 3 times per year, so I think I have to accept it’s just not a good item to spend my money on.

I would like a good beach cover up though – anyone seen anything nice in cotton or linen?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »