Talk

Advanced search

Les Parisiennes des Mamansnet: Too much good taste can be very boring. Independent style, on the other hand, can be very inspiring.

(996 Posts)
botemp Sat 13-Jul-19 13:20:47

Lovers of Parisian style and fashion with a conscious mindset and lots of chatter in between.

----

Favoured Parisian addresses:

Second Hand Shops

Outlets

Favoured London addresses:

Charity Shops, Dress Agencies, and Outlets

Favoured NYC addresses:

Consignment shops, Vintage, and Restaurants

----

Previous threads:

Un

Deux

Trois

Quatre

Cinq

Six

Sept

Huit

quirkychick Thu 17-Oct-19 07:12:53

These are the pictures I've been looking at on Pinterest. I have a similar bias cut tartan skirt in a lighter pattern, lots of images with knee high boots, but I liked the chunky boots which stop it looking quite so traditional. I'm also thinking, pairing it with a denim blazer or leather jacket stops me looking too lady of the Manor. The fishtail skirt, is similar to a tweed one I have and I liked the cowl neck top with it to offset the shape.

botemp Fri 18-Oct-19 13:22:38

My post on Sara Danius has disappeared too, MN has been a bit weird lately. I said something along the lines of, it's often the case that those who dare to defy convention, can accelerate and inspire change, unfortunately, often have limited time to do it in, but it means their impact is all the greater in memory.

I'm giving up on raincoats for the moment as well. Tallying up the DIY project is coming in higher than I'd like as it'll probably end up a disaster, or more likely, forever unfinished. At most it will be two more weeks of rain, the cape is holding up well as it's weirdly mild temperatures and I should really starting thinking about knee length boots and a fun coat again.

I'm still weirdly not buying anything and am rather worried with what's wrong with me shock Did the rounds at the consignment agencies today and did come across a Jil Sander down coat, it was quite intriguing as it was two lightweight down coats that slipped into each other, one with a hood, the other collarless and a wool panel down the centre. Came down very low and was really really warm and because of the layers it wasn't ridiculously puffy Michelin man. But I'm worried it's too warm, if I was living next door to Bani it would make all the sense in the world and theoretically I could wear the two coats seperately but I dislike all things collarless and the hooded bit isn't that exciting, so it would be a step up from my current parka which I loathe but I'm not bowled over by it. It probably is worth the hefty €400 price tag as it's pretty much new but I just don't feel like paying it, not sure if it's do with my general apathetic feelings towards clothes shopping at the moment or just this coat specifically. Didn't take pictures at the time, sort of found the two coats seperately but you have to imagine the hooded over the other.

Red most shades of pink are pretty hard to pull off this time of year because of the light, cool toned creamy skinned people can get away with it but the rest of it, it just looks off unless it's a bit of a dusky pink. Have you tried a long white shirt under a jumper to break it up a bit, can often bridge the formal/casual line when paired with trainers.

I like the bag with your IJ coat quirky, like the coat too. I do think green is a good versatile colour for shit weather coats.

I need to plan my next Paris trip, OH is being annoying, might end up going solo. Dare I suggest a Paris meetup without mentioning the B-word?

quirkychick Fri 18-Oct-19 13:37:56

Thanks, bo, the bag is a John Lewis weekend one from a few years ago. Pretty rain resistant too in black leather.

One of the supplements had an article with wearing pink trousers, red, but I can't find it. I have very cool-toned skin that suits pink, but it just doesn't feel very me.

quirkychick Fri 18-Oct-19 13:40:23

I meant to add that green has been my main colour of choice this autumn, probably as I've lived in a green raincoat. Sunny now, but there was a deluge this morning which I narrowly missed.

Redandblue11 Fri 18-Oct-19 16:40:52

Thank you all for recommendations for those trousers, I will try to get a couple of photos of them with stuff I have at home and you can give me honest opinions grin not that you ever do otherwise!

I am well up for a Paris meet up in spring. B or not B.

timeisnotaline Fri 18-Oct-19 19:52:23

I like the blouse bani. Do try tonal with the blush trousers red and report back! It sounds like they might not have enough pink to do steel grey? But could do navy or forest.
My hair is just twisted into a knot and caught with a band (old phone cord style band, I’d really like to know what we are supposed to call them) , and knot has drooped red, nothing fancy going on theregrin
quirky more bias cut tartan skirts please. I’d love to carry that off but darent even try.

quirkychick Sat 19-Oct-19 07:38:37

time, just for you, some tartan skirt photos. I think the Milan fashion week one is going to be the most wearable with chunky boots and leather jacket. Those are things I wear normally anyway and it's a similar colourway to what I've got. I've "inherited" this tartan skirt and I think it's hardly ever been worn, I'm just striving not to look very classic in it with riding boots and polo neck, as that's just not me at all. I wouldn't mind the castle in the first picture wink, I don't have anything like that jacket and belt, but like the idea of toughening it up a bit, the second is McQueen, very ott but with a leather jacket again.

I started with a tartan scarf last year, now I have 2 and a skirt. I also have a couple of tartan blankets at home now as well...

Floisme Sat 19-Oct-19 08:27:11

I've seen a lot of tartan in the shops and the latest JW Anderson for Uniqlo collection is full of it. But I think it's the bias cut shape that still has a heavy early noughties vibe. Yeah I'd try it with chunky lace up boots and leather but, if that still doesn't work, I'd just hang on to it a little longer quirky - its time will surely come.

botemp Sat 19-Oct-19 08:48:03

Pfft I've been banging on about tartan since advent calendar number one <smug> It does seem to be having a bit of a moment, which thankfully means, a novel take on it here and there so it doesn't feel as country frumpy.

Have seen two scarves so far but material has let it down. Really like the red which has a reverse pattern on half of it on both sides, the other is a silk scarf with padding and a loop through.

The red one is from Maje but contains a bit of acrylic, really don't want any of that static near my hair come winter. Real shame as I'm quite enamoured with it and it wasn't stupidly expensive.

The other is a Dutch brand and I like the fact it's silk and feels a bit modern with the colour choice and patterns but the padded filling is that cheap synthetic stuff, it made me think of sitting on a landfill for the rest of its days not decomposing when I was trying it on sad although they'd probably just burn it and release all those lovely chemicals in the atmosphere <-- I'm a complete non expert of waste disposal, obvs.

I need to remember to swing by Uniqlo for the JW Anderson collection, I quite like the look of one of the flannel men's shirts as a nightie.

botemp Sat 19-Oct-19 08:49:48

Red, I'm planning for end of Jan/early Feb not quite spring 🌨️☃️

quirkychick Sat 19-Oct-19 09:00:25

I know, I'm late to the tartan party grin. I have worn tweed for years, so it's not such a leap, really. I love that first scarf, bo, but I agree about the acrylic. A proper wool scarf is so much lovelier and warmer.

I always liked those bias cut skirts, though, flo. They suited me and gave me an illusion of waist and hips. But yes, I just want to avoid country frumpy and mix it up a bit.

Redandblue11 Sat 19-Oct-19 09:18:24

I am adding to the tartan chat, i have been looking at photos of japan fashion week and on the street style there have been a couple of examples of use of tartan. I suppose not that surprising since if it is not country style is quite edgy/punk and the Japanese do their own ‘version’ of this.
(I know i will get shot as this is probably, most surely not punk and I really do not know the different tribes/sub cultures, etc etc)
But anyhow, I like these two examples as source of inspiration.
The first one I like the soft tones and the second is the mix, that nod to tartan without being full on big tartan skirt.

Here you can see loads of photos
what are they wearing tokyo

Redandblue11 Sat 19-Oct-19 09:27:14

With regards to cuts, I also saw this on the above link. The blazer cut at the waist ... I have noticed that some blazers look frumpy of me as a result of were they sit on the hip ... in general smarter jackets are better on me on the waist (think channel style) i think is because it gives me a waist.
I am tempted to keep this on my mind and if i come across any cheap second hand blazer to try it (i might even have an old one to try this on... question is, will i be able to pull it off/look like a derailed woman)

Paris- let me have a look as in feb ❄️ we are going skiing, but if there are cheap eurostar tickets for a random weekend, i might go.

Redandblue11 Sat 19-Oct-19 09:28:05

I meant this

Methenyouplus4 Sat 19-Oct-19 10:38:34

Just had a lovely couple of days catching up, sorry I went a bit M.I.A.

Quirky, sorry to hear about the death of your mother in law but glad the service was nice. How is the house sorting going?

Bo, the red Zara top arrived and as much as I wanted to love it, it was really unflattering. The main issue I think was that the top seam was elasticated. I still have it in a bag of stuff to ebay so will try to take a photo if I remember.

Not much exciting to report here, like several of you, I have packed away all my warm weather clothes. I have been more severe than I would normally be, in the past I kept out lots of bits (e.g. white embroidery anglaise sleeveless too) I could layer/ wear for meals out etc. This time though I deliberately put them away, as I remember how lovely it was last spring to feel like I had a whole new wardrobe. I think it was referred to earlier (apologies, can't recall who said it), but I think it stops me over shopping too.

I've purchased very little but did go to a clothes swish/swap where I got a few really lovely pieces that I'm thrilled with.

Now that all DC are school age, I'm still looking for a simple leather bag to use each day. I do have some that are fine, but all are either long past their best (in a grubby, scruffy way, rather than lovely vintage way) or I don't really like the style anymore. I did purchase one just before the summer that I really like, but it's not really big enough to carry all of the stuff I carry on me (in particular, a water bottle and normally a book and a notepad).

I also still need a few nice leather belts, keep hoping I'll find something in a charity shop, but no such luck.

As ever, been loving photos of you all.

Floisme Sat 19-Oct-19 10:42:50

I like a cropped, boxy blazer but I also like one that's long enough to bypass my hips altogether.

I wore a lot of bias cut skirts when I was considerably thinner and straight up and down in shape. So maybe my real problem with it is that it reminds me how much my arse has grown.

Floisme Sat 19-Oct-19 10:44:23

Sorry Methen cross posted <waves>

Methenyouplus4 Sat 19-Oct-19 10:54:25

No tartan here other than a huge blanket scarf, it's originally from Laura Ashley but I bought it from a shop/agency that sells on preloved clothes (the same place I picked up the Margaret Howell shirt that I've still yet to wear blush). It's brown with orange/yellow lines so goes well with camel coat I wear and I tend to get lots of compliments when I wear it. I've had it out the past month or so, but have found that instead of using it as a scarf, I'm wrapping it fully round my top half, almost as though an extra layer. Typing that reminds me to try it round my neck but tucked straight down into a belt (on coat or leather over cardigan/jumper) as I like that look too.

Methenyouplus4 Sat 19-Oct-19 11:00:15

Had a quick look on pintrest and as well as the usual '5.3 million ways to tie a blanket scarf', I thought these two looked quite fresh but not too contrived.

quirkychick Sat 19-Oct-19 13:06:34

Ah, flo I am quite straight up and down. I find full skirts very unflattering as they hide what little waist I have and add bulk to my hips and legs, which are quite slim. Hence, going for bias cut, a line or asymmetric styles, really.

methen the house sorting is going slowly, though we've done a lot. Not helped by lots of boxes of things which came from the old family home never having been unpacked and stashed in the loft or garage. Both of which have had leaks, both now and in the past. I think it's a generation that never threw anything away.

I like shorter and longer blazers <not helpful>. I think it depends on the cut of the blazer and the whole outfit. I have a denim blazer that's hip length and can be worn open and loose or done up, I also have a charcoal wool blazer that's shorter and more fitted that looks better done up.

timeisnotaline Sat 19-Oct-19 13:51:54

I’m often not sure about the fit of blazers on me although I wear them for work all the time and do think they are one of the ultimate outfit finishers.
Thanks bo! I like the red one - I don’t love the padded or the mustard/camel section on the other one? Padded just seems difficult to work with? Silk sounds nice though...
I have bought a much smaller scarf a week ago- our flat in Pitigliano was opposite a weavers shop and studio and I couldn’t resist. It’s quite simple, no big trends but this beautiful silk cashmere woven scarf in ivory and dark blue... I could have sat there half the day watching her weaving.
I’d like to see those belted scarves on ordinary people to see if they turn them into a lump- there are a lot of elegant pictures around but they must add volume.
I didn’t respond to a comment some time ago about why antipodeans describe Australia as a fashion wasteland... partly because it’s true with fashion there remains a cultural cringe factor. It’s hard to tell as at the moment I feel like I’m leaving a lot behind, once I settle it will be better. Also I’m used to visiting in jan and you do get a beachwear vibe from our jan sales! A Country road (a big high street store) email last week had a poplin puff sleeve dress very similar to a Zara one making the rounds (& presumably inspired by a designer?) so that felt pretty derivative. I do like Saba and I love the emerging trends such as aboriginal designs I’ve shared.

quirkychick Sat 19-Oct-19 15:43:33

red, in the interests of this thread, I saw someone today in blush pink jeans, paired with burgundy top and tan boots. It looked like a good colour combo and reasonably autumnal too.

Methenyouplus4 Sat 19-Oct-19 16:07:55

I have some salmon coloured velour type jeggings, they were from Uniqlo and suggested by a kind soul on here when I was looking for trousers I could nap in during the day. I find them really easy to match, very comfy and people often say I look nice when I wear them (I think because they make tonal dressing easy) BUT I did see a photo of myself in them and they looked god awful. They created the effect of two fat lumpy sausages hanging out of my coat. Not a good look.

Heading to Manchester in half term and thinking I will have a couple of hours to hit the shops, I want to either go for boutiques, second hand stores or shops they don't have further up north where I live (thinking so far Selfridges and Uniqlo). Any suggestions?

Floisme Sat 19-Oct-19 17:40:53

Methen The Northern Quarter in Manchester is street after street of second hand. Back in the day I used to make the trip just for Afflecks Palace but the last time I went... I dunno, I just found it exhausting and all the shops were so samey I began to wonder if they were more corporate than they were letting on.
If I go again I'll research first so I can target individual shops rather than wandering round aimlessly. Or I might head for Stockport instead which is much smaller than M/C and quite run down but had a good, large vintage store by the market - called 20th century something or other. Or maybe the charity shops of Wilmslow for some bling smile

Methenyouplus4 Sat 19-Oct-19 20:38:05

Flo, I think street after street sounds like heaven, but the reality is I'll probably have 2 hours (tops) so think I need a bit of a strategy.

Has anyone come across Charles & Keith bags? They look lovely and are very reasonably priced, but even at those prices I'm a bit hmm about faux leather. I have one bag I got in the French Connection sale a few years ago, it wasn't a convincing faux leather but I didn't mind as it was more of a 'fun' style. Now though, it just looks a bit sad/scruffed/past its best. I only paid £40 but wouldn't have been impressed if it was full price as you can buy real leather bags for that.

Also, discovered The Real Real but was gutted when I saw it was £45 to Europe, before any sort of import costs. Are there any good UK/ European equivalents with less eye watering delivery?

Floisme Sat 19-Oct-19 21:01:28

Yeah you'd probably need more than a couple of hours for all that grin

I heard they were getting a Cos in Manchester but I don't know if it's open yet.

quirkychick Sun 20-Oct-19 07:20:09

methen one of the supplements had a whole article on vintage shopping, I cut it out but haven't really had a look. Ah, flo Affleck's Palace. I was at university in Leeds and had a friend in Manchester, I used to visit a lot. Also, Kensington Market in London.

Floisme Sun 20-Oct-19 07:59:51

Camden Passage in Islington was another. It's millionaires row now but I used to get the early morning coach to London to go for the day.

quirkychick Sun 20-Oct-19 08:43:53

methen Stella magazine had a whole, huge article on vintage shopping. I can't vouch for any of these, but online the recommendations are eBay (obviously), Depop, Another Matinee, Edit Secondhand, Farfetch their pre-loved tab, Rex vintage, Asos Marketplace.

flo, I remember buying a dove grey vintage lace dress and wearing it with dms. My mum told me it was a granny dress. Now dd1 keeps telling me I'm wearing granny jumpers. No change there then! Basic wool cardigans, but it's how I style them wink.

quirkychick Sun 20-Oct-19 08:53:03

I think these photos are all Sezane, but as a way to wear quite classic cardigans in a non frumptastic way, I've been layering wool cardigans with a couple of top buttons undone over thin long sleeved t-shirts (or over a silk shirt, like I posted upthread), and with a pendant necklace at the neckline. I particularly liked it paired with a quilted, faux leather skirt. But apparently they're granny jumpers, probably because their not hoodies grin.

Floisme Sun 20-Oct-19 09:01:26

I used to buy 1940s dresses and show them to my mum feeling all so creative and unique and she'd just say very plaintively, 'I used to have one like that' grin

quirkychick Sun 20-Oct-19 09:57:53

Well, as if to show I am on trend, I've just found this article in Style magazine about cardigand. I must say, I have only gone for a couple of buttons undone with a lowish v-neck underneath rather than full on nothing underneath!

flo, I think I've always had that mixing up granny chic, it's a bit punk/alternative I think. I'm sure that's where wearing wool or tweed trousers comes from for me.

Redandblue11 Sun 20-Oct-19 14:29:13

Are you telling me quirky that today to be fully on trend I should loose my layer underneath??shock

Aside from being a prude ... cannot see that being very practical in this country hmm

quirkychick Sun 20-Oct-19 16:46:24

red, I think I will stick with the Sezane version, a couple of buttons undone (and a lowish top underneath). The whole point of the cardigan being an extra warm layer on top that you can take on and off easily as the temperature varies. Nice belt btw.

banivani Mon 21-Oct-19 14:25:49

I have trouble getting on board with tartan. Feels like a fabric that always has a message and I’m not sure I subscribe to any of them (Scottish, punk, school uniform, whatever). However I appreciate good quality of course. I like the double sided scarf Bo! The silk one too. I was also thinking about what you said about parkas being better when accepting what they are and not trying to be stylish and fitting. This is def a part of why a Didrikson feels unsatisfying too me. It’s so obviously made for women who are afraid of looking big/fat. 😉

I highly doubt the reactions at work if I walked around with a cardigan barely buttoned would be “hey, stylish gal”. And I don’t think I’d look less frumpy either, just undressed? grin

Manchester is on my list to visit, I have family there but brexit keeps spannering me so I haven’t gone. sad Love the sound of the second hand shops though. Incidentally I found a tweed coat I fancy on Etsy but I’m not paying what I’d have to pay without being able to try on! Can’t find it now or I’d link.

banivani Mon 21-Oct-19 14:26:23

Oh and Paris ... am conflicted since I want to fly less/not at all but wouldn’t it be lovely!

Floisme Wed 23-Oct-19 07:13:22

I've got a hair an inch long growing at a right angle out of my chin. For a week now I've been chasing it round my face with tweezers but it ducks and it dives and it dances away and then, when I give up, it waves at me. Little fucker.

Floisme Wed 23-Oct-19 07:14:10

And that, my friends, is all I have by way of news.

botemp Wed 23-Oct-19 11:49:40

Bad news quirky, your sexy cardigan is already dead in the water according to Vogue. It's all about sexy polo knits now. It sounds a bit contradictio in terminis to me, but then again so do sexy cardigans as a noted cardigan despiser (on me, I'm neutral about them on others).

Flo, you just need to get yourself a dedicated tweezer to keep in your bag or purse. When you find yourself in one of those horrific changing rooms that has you convinced you're one giant lump of dimpled flesh, ignore the body and use that horrific light to find the offending chin hair, easy as. Been dealing with facial hair since 16 thanks to PCOS and have yet to find a better solution. Also recommend attached tweezer for this task specifically, although bought this at Sephora on vacation once and have never seen one like it since...

I want to book Paris sooner rather than later, in all likelihood booking before or after the 31st of Jan.

quirkychick Wed 23-Oct-19 16:46:34

grin at the sexy polo knit, I'm managing a polo neck today, does that count... The sexigan was meant to be tongue in cheek, the whole point of a wool cardigan is an extra layer you can take on and off easily in fluctuating autumn weather! I was looking at the Sezane pics as a way to wear a cardi in a less done up way.

flo sometimes you have to pull it out at a certain angle. Though, there is a certain satisfaction to be got from it. I can often do it by touch alone, that might be an eye sight/age issue.

Redandblue11 Wed 23-Oct-19 18:47:43

Gosh ... just seen Eurostar and very low fares around those dates ... very tempting. I could resist all buy temptation and do that my first shopping!
29-31 jan a possibility ...

FestivaMaxima Wed 23-Oct-19 22:34:32

Hello everyone! Haven’t managed to keep up with this thread I’m afraid, but did read the Style magazine article about the “sexigan” hmm Just the right look for me to rock on the baby playgroup circuit...
Have been wearing mostly slim straight jeans with oversized jumpers of late. Not desperately exciting but hides the mum-tum nicely. Will take some photos.
We are christening Baby Minima soon. This has thrown me into a tailspin. I feel like I haven’t been anywhere smart for several years and fashion seems to have totally changed gear since I last bought a dress to wear to a wedding or similar. Can’t get on with midi length things - feels so frumpy and unflattering. Have made an appointment with a personal stylist at John Lewis Oxford St next week (Selfridges alas out of mat leave spending budget). Never done this before but am doing very badly by myself so hopefully they can help!

FestivaMaxima Wed 23-Oct-19 22:37:54

PS Hope everyone is well

Floisme Thu 24-Oct-19 07:57:00

Ladies (and gentlemen) I got it. This morning with the aid of a borrowed magnifying mirror and a desk lamp. It was very satisfying and now I can't stop stroking my chin.

Good to hear from you Maxima. You're right about fashion changing gear - I haven't worn dresses for a couple of years but I think the ones in my cupboard would look pretty dated if I got them out now. I like a midi with boots though. Hope you find something.

Going back to cardigans, I rather like a men's cardi with a bit of a 1960s knitting pattern vibe. I saw a vintage one last week that was fabulously Alan Partridge but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to wear it in a sufficiently knowing way so I let it go and now I can't stop thinking about it.

banivani Thu 24-Oct-19 10:17:41

Bless you Flo, the amount of times I've wanted to post about my chin hair woes here and held back - I now feel I am among friends. My chin area is on a constant cycle of scabs from me picking unsuccessfully at stubborn hairs, followed by me finally getting them, then a healing period that is not over until the next hair comes along. Currently have three definite scabs.

botemp Thu 24-Oct-19 10:53:15

Hello again, Maxima. Now that you mention it I have been scorning dresses for a while as they all seem to be floral horrors that feel more appropriate to reinacting little house on the prairie hmm Feedback on JL always seems positive on here so hopefully you'll come out well. I'd ask for them to include jumpsuits just to expand your options since the shops do seem to be wall to wall floral midis. Sezane also has a few good dresses in at the moment that aren't all midis. I like attached for you despite it being a midi but I'm guessing it's far too thin to wear in a church at this time of year anyhow. Also, I was raised an atheist so potentially far too scandalising for church too blush

Ah Flo that must have been deeply satisfying almost chants USA USA.

Men's cardigans I also have less of an issue with, I quite like the Irish fisherman's cardi especially when they have an arran knit incorporated into it and the little horn and leather tie closure.

Scabs made me seek out laser therapy Bani, it became worse than the hairs and just not worth the aggravation. The simple human mirror that's stupidly expensive is really good for actually spotting the buggers but the magnification and lighting of the rest of your face have put me off ever buying one. If you can teach yourself to thread that works well too, you seem to need less of an aim than with a tweezer.

quirkychick Thu 24-Oct-19 14:23:57

That's a lovely navy dress, bo. I have a weakness for navy and was also raised an atheist (I have been known to wear black and white to weddings grin).

I have a grey aran fisherman's cardigan too, though if I wear it with the Breton cap and green raincoat, I feel I'm only missing the waders to complete the fancy dress. I did get caught in a downpour just now and waders would have stopped me having to change my lower half when I got in, but are an unusual choice for a trip into town hmm.

Redandblue11 Fri 25-Oct-19 16:59:15

Great to hear from you maxima , hopefully you can find something good in JL. Finery seem to have a few dresses that might interest you, but I am not sure how appropriate for a christening they are, maybe if you like them you can order and also try them when you have the stylist appointment?

botemp Fri 25-Oct-19 17:09:54

I hope the JL personal shopper is more helpful than us and not an unknowing heathen like me

Maxima: I don't like midis, they make me feel frumpy.

Bo: How about this Pope scandalising midi?

Red: How about these midis?

🙈😂🙈

Redandblue11 Fri 25-Oct-19 17:14:27

You can all call me weak, 🐑, or sympathise.
I have lasted a good 8 weeks at least without buying (not even second hand) and today I caved in.
The thing is that I got these two pieces in a charity shop, a new jumper from boden (they normally send them samples) and a perfect sandro blazer.
The thing is that because I have been making conscious decision to wear the stuff I have, I seem to have identified better my gaps and a loose jumper was one of them, the other an a/w jacket to wear under a coat for work or dinner, drinks etc, so I have allowed myself a couple of preloved items (boden is technically new tough)
I didn’t take a photo of the jacket on, but here it is on a hanger.

Redandblue11 Fri 25-Oct-19 17:16:50

😂 😂
Sometimes I wonder

quirkychick Fri 25-Oct-19 17:21:13

Pre-loved and filling gaps in your wardrobe, definitely doesn't count red wink. Good choices too.

Floisme Fri 25-Oct-19 22:48:48

Second hand doesn't as spending red. You have done a good and noble thing.

Floisme Fri 25-Oct-19 23:53:18

Sorry I wrote that in a hurry.
Doesn't count

banivani Sat 26-Oct-19 12:04:26

Red - that jumper looks like cardigan back to front? But better?

Maxima - sadly I can’t he lp you because I still love midi length. And you can always shorten a midi!

Am stressing a little about packing for Dublin. Need a little capsule wardrobe dontchaknow. I’ll go warm colours plus black (my only trousers angry). Will spray coat with water repellent and keep fingers crossed for showers not torrents.

XingMing Sat 26-Oct-19 14:20:21

Have been AWOL visiting maman for a few days, followed by enduring the filthy cold she gifted me. Plus, my computer remains in pieces pending DS being willing to rebuild it, and the mouse on the tablet has just died.

Sharing the general dislike of drab florals.

Klaxon.... I have bought my first new and non-essential garment of the year... that is, not replacement of a basic, or shoes, or underwear (couldn't overcome the yuck) and discovered what looks like the most wonderful charity shop outside London. Took a trip to Chipping Campden (the northern end of the Cotswolds and very naice) to visit the Robert Welch factory showroom so mama could look at cutlery for nephew's upcoming nuptials; I needed some more tea spoons too, and they don't sell them singly on the website. This was followed with a small stroll up and down the high street where we spotted a small local hospice shop which had a window display rivalling that of the upmarket boutique opposite stocking Margaret Howell and the like. Sadly mum was tiring a bit by then, so it was the quickest of peeks but it looked fertile territory for great pre-loved stuff. So if you are passing Chipping Campden, Flo....

banivani Sat 26-Oct-19 18:49:14

Chipping Campden... what a name!

banivani Sat 26-Oct-19 18:53:07

Pressed too soon. Also meant to say I love the blue Sézane dress. Totally my cup of tea but deep cleavages like that are hard to wear - when oh when would they be appropriate like.

And I found a sort of rain coat! Olive parka-ish for 20 euro (sale). It’ll do. Treated with the bionic watsit stuff so not waterproof but grand under the circs.

1frenchfoodie Sat 26-Oct-19 22:34:10

Pleased to see an approaching tartan moment. I have a Johnstons of Elgin dark blue and maroon tartan cashmere scarf I look forward to using every winter. I have access to a regular private sample sale and will have my eye out for more this year. Perhaps I’ll even break out my wedding (family) tartan shawl - it has looked a bit dressing up to date...

Redandblue11 Sun 27-Oct-19 08:32:38

Yes, it is a bit back to front cardi that top Bani, the buttons are nice velvet. Maybe they spy on this thread and copy Bo’s trick?

xing that sounds like a great find! I am in the outskirts of oxford for a few days (cannot remember where exactly) i wonder if I can detour to chipping campden

Hello 1frech, your family tartan sounds very nice. Now I am jealous that I will have to content myself with a wannabe ...
Are a newbie or namechange? Hello either way!

Floisme Sun 27-Oct-19 09:09:00

Hey Xing I was just thinking I hadn't seen you lately. What have you bought or did I miss it? Thanks for the Chipping Camden tip - is that where the Camerons and Rebekah Brooks used to have their country suppers or was that another Chipping? Anyway I've added it to my list of places I need to persuade my husband he'd like to visit. What a shame you weren't able to get a proper look. I think hospice shops are often the best in town, closely followed by Cancer Research - there's probably a class analysis waiting to be done there.

Red I think you've got two great buys. A work/going out blazer is always a find.

I've a couple of purchases myself. Found some Whistle Barrel Leg jeans for £30 and was so pleased I ignored the small matter of them being bile green .(You could substitute the 'b' for a 'v' without losing the meaning.) Presumably it was one of their summer colours. It'll be fine, I told myself, they won't be near my face. Well it wasn't fine and they're in the washing machine right now with a packet of dark brown dye. (I didn't think a denim blue would work as there's so much yellow.) I may be throwing good money after bad and I don't expect the stitching to take the dye but I'm hoping I'll get away with it otherwise.

Also got a fine wool paisley men's scarf for £3 which has washed up very nicely - photo on my phone but it's out of charge so I'll try and remember to post it later. Unfortunately I was wearing another men's scarf when I bought it, in dark green silk, and now I can't find it so I've a bad feeling I left it in the shop and that it's now in the 'Everything under £5' box.

Hi to frenchfoodie

1frenchfoodie Sun 27-Oct-19 09:48:48

Hi Red I pop in from time to time. With a toddler and long commute clothes shopping has taken a backseat for a bit but this thread keeps my interest warm. And makes me remember things in storage.

Boo on the scarf swap Floisme the green silk one sounded nice.

quirkychick Sun 27-Oct-19 09:50:39

Just a very quick hi to Xing and frenchfoodie. Also a thanks to bo, I think, who recommended uniqlo airism leggings, really great for my morning yoga, I might need to get another pair.

flo, the new karenbritchick video is NYC streetstyle and has a woman in a tweed raincoat and uniqlo u jeans, I though of you. I'll try to link later, it's quite a long video.

quirkychick Sun 27-Oct-19 11:01:58

A quick first attempt with the tartan skirt, with M&S navy jumper, Celtic & Co boots and furry scarf from Pure. My boots are not done up but I'll probably wear with a biker jacket. We're off to a (very) local arts festival event run by a friend this afternoon.

quirkychick Sun 27-Oct-19 12:24:55

A better photo with faux leather biker, the first picture looks slightly lumpy, but I think that's a camera distortion as it doesn't look like that in rl.

Redandblue11 Mon 28-Oct-19 09:39:58

I need to get myself acquainted with tartan, in general I shy of large or very prominent ones, i suppose is a matter of experimenting and finding the right for you (if any at all!), but I do slightly admire if someone can pull it off like you quirky but the camera might be distorting a bit the fit.

Onto recycled tights ..l heard of this Swedish ones Bani?
Curious to see if any good and how comfortable they are, atm I have heist ones which are similar price and I find them very comfortable
here

quirkychick Mon 28-Oct-19 10:28:54

m.youtube.com/watch?v=IUP1Lp9WQzw karenbritchick street style in NYC. For you, flo, at about 13 mins in the waterproof tweed with Uniqlo U jeans.

quirkychick Mon 28-Oct-19 10:39:15

red, one of the reasons I was tempted by the skirt is that it's a good, flattering fit, but it hasn't really shown up on the photos. They look better small on my phone tbh. My tasselled, black saddle bag did look a bit like a sporran, though grin.

XingMing Mon 28-Oct-19 14:18:22

grin for *quirky's sporran!

Hello frenchfoodie and high fives all round.

Flo, Chipping Camden is not the same as Chipping Norton and is about 20 miles further northwest from Oxford. Chipping Norton is a bustling market town in the centre of some lovely but mega-expensive villages which are home to Cameron, Rebekeh and Charlie Brookes, Alex James, cheesemaker and rockstar, and the late, much lamented Ronnie Barker who had an antiques shop there after he quit acting. Daylesford Farmshop, some lovely gastropubs, and one of the out of town London club-hotel places are the fancy end, but there's normal too. Chipping Camden is a bit less high profile politics and celebrity, but no less swanky. For Red, CC is quite a drive from Oxford: at least an hour away, and the roads can be slow and or twisty.

What did I buy? Sorry Flo, but I found a Margaret Howell mid-thigh length raincoat from SS19, marked down 35%. In black, and just the right size to layer with my thin down peacoat. No hood, but I have dog walking coats with hoods for torrential rain, like last week, and it's a good length over trousers and knee-length, or longer skirts, as long as they don't billow.

The tartan scarf bought for DH is starting to wink from the wardrobe too as it is much colder today.

Floisme Mon 28-Oct-19 14:24:13

Oh! Oh! Oh! Amazing. Any chance of a pic?

XingMing Mon 28-Oct-19 15:51:08

@Flo. This is it. Using DS wardrobe mirror as the light is okay in there. The rest of the outfit is a bit too dark.

ParisInTheSpringtime Mon 28-Oct-19 16:24:38

Please may I join this party? As the username suggests, big fan of Parisienne style. halo

XingMing Mon 28-Oct-19 16:41:26

Welcome ,*Springtime*; the more the merrier!

botemp Mon 28-Oct-19 20:30:59

Need to catch up properly later so will quickly say you both look fantastic Quirky and Xing! And welcome Springtime smile

I've gone and gotten in a bit of a panic as I had committed to making thread totes in celebration of our next anniversary thread but this one's nearly full shock So have rustled some up this evening. I'm happy with the Sainsbury's baguette design (modelled after old fashioned French cologne labels). I've switched up the spelling of Sainsbury's to avoid being sued, not sure if the apostrophe is overkill and looks to much like a mistake but otherwise I'm worried I don't have much of a defense of that it's obviously not from the supermarket itself as there's a cock had to get a penis in there somewhere on it that says je m'en fous above it at the bottom. Unlike the rest of Mumsnet I'm no lawyer though...

I'm undecided on the aunt Larry tote, have tried a few things as the design is so simple. Was initially decided on bottom right but now I quite like the whimsy of top right. Input, please, especially appreciated from Methen.

Pleasantly surprised by the le ridicule ne tue pas which is just the result of me messing about. It's very dark navy text as opposed to black. Surely it should lure in the hipsters, who would wear it ironically without realising they're being ironic grin

quirkychick Mon 28-Oct-19 20:47:44

Bienvenue Springtime. That coat, Xing, what a steal!

I love the totes, bo, but are they durable as quite a few "bags for life" actually have quite limited life <looking at you, doc martens bag>. Also, you need to not be putting them on the floor or ground when they are pale, the wet muddy look is not great.

banivani Mon 28-Oct-19 21:02:45

Red I haven’t tried the Swedish Stockings myself I’m afraid - they’re reasonably popular though. When the brand was new I considered buying them but at the time I was of the opinion that for that price I wanted a reinforced foot, not just toe. Don’t know if I’ve changed my mind tbh.

botemp Mon 28-Oct-19 21:19:54

I don't know quirky, it's just an online platform that you upload your design to and anyone can buy it from anywhere and they ship it out. It's the most hassle free option as organising it myself and shipping it to everyone is not something I'm willing to take on and I doubt it would be cost effective anyhow. I never put bags on the floor (except occasionally in changing rooms as they often have nowhere to go) due to superstition, one of the few that have stuck. Light bags just get ruined by groceries from the inside out for me 🤷 Online reviews of the tote are good though, but I suspect they're your average cheapy tote that's free with a purchase quality.

Red, I have Swedish stockings. They're nice but they are a bit different, they absorb more light than normal opaques but they're less black than others so they can be a bit off looking now and then as they don't always work with black clothing. I prefer their other sheer and patterned models more.

Floisme Tue 29-Oct-19 07:18:36

Welcome Springtime although no need to ask - just get posting smile

Totes amazing bo - I've waited 10 years to say that without feeling like a knob.

Xing you look so chic and elegant. My son has also got the room with the best mirrors and the best light - how did that happen?

And quirky thank you for that link which I've only just spotted blush I'm intrigued by waterproof tweed. Speaking of which I'm getting my favourite coat out today as it looks like being that perfect combination of cold and dry.

Redandblue11 Tue 29-Oct-19 08:35:54

Sometimes you wait for a post and then this!
Your parka quirky! The shape looks great great buy there.
I am chuckling at the totes , specially at the sainbvrys one, I imagine myself in the aisle getting looks by their staff as I get a baguette 🥖
I am hooked with Karenbritchick, my friend found a checked parka/trench in a secondhand in Brussels and is the envy of all us here.
Ah! And as it turns out I will be in Paris on the 17 Jan for a couple of days So really looking forward to that. Might be too early to cross paths with you Bo though.
Today is utilitarian clothes as going into the woods with children , still no need to look a muddy mess will see what I can do .

Redandblue11 Tue 29-Oct-19 08:37:41

bo do you know if those tights are stocked in Paris anywhere? X

botemp Tue 29-Oct-19 08:49:01

I haven't seen them in Paris, but may have seen them at Liberty's, I think? Just check their website for stockists, I'm sure something nearby will show up. My luxury department store that sells them is owned by the Selfridges group so assuming there's some overlap somewhere.

Jan 17th definitely too early for me, I'll get booking my own dates.

I need to rewatch that karenbritchick video to find out what company that woman was working for that made the coats. I think it's just coated and taped up gabardine with a print, rather than actual tweed. I couldn't figure out if she was purposefully wearing it inside out (seems a bit of a streetwear trend here) or that it was purposefully designed like that.

OT, I like Karen a lot but her disclosure when something is an ad pisses me off, she's had a couple of videos where you're not aware an entire section or the entirety of it is sponsored until you're too far in.

FestivaMaxima Tue 29-Oct-19 09:31:03

Ha ha on the christening outfit advice. I actually like all the midis posted - they’re much nicer than the milkmaid / little house on the prairie numbers that were everywhere last summer. Just still not sure they’re right on me. Although I definitely need to open my mind. Will consider jumpsuits and skirt and top combos. Or top and trousers... I’ll report back.
Red I really like your purchases, especially the jumper.
Not great lighting but here is my second hand Sezane jumper and close up of the boat neck.

quirkychick Tue 29-Oct-19 09:34:37

This is me trying not to look frumptastic in a cardigan. Going for something closer to the Sezane photos, with a couple of buttons undone than full on ridiculous sexigan grin. Not totally sold on the colour, but looks OK with darker colours, I think.

I obviously need to stop putting my bags on the floor. Not always possible with dd2, but maybe I need to use a different bag when out and about with her.

quirkychick Tue 29-Oct-19 09:40:23

I meant to post this version, as you can see it better.

Nice boat neck, festiva. The jumper I wore with the tartan skirt has a high boat neck, but just didn't photograph well.

ParisInTheSpringtime Tue 29-Oct-19 09:46:11

@Redandblue11 I will also be in Paris 17/18 January - it’s a good time to go! I am following the cardigans with envy. Unfortunately they make me look like my grandmother (and not in a good way).

quirkychick Tue 29-Oct-19 10:20:36

Springtime, I'm trying hard not to look like a grandma, not helped by teenage dd1 saying it's a "granny" cardi!

Redandblue11 Tue 29-Oct-19 11:25:48

springtime do I know you?? You are not the other person traveling with me are you??

ParisInTheSpringtime Tue 29-Oct-19 11:52:39

@Redandblue11 shock I don’t think so... how do we work it out?!! 😂 if you are the person who I’m travelling with, we met abroad...

XingMing Tue 29-Oct-19 13:20:04

Holding my breath to know if red and springtime are acquainted IRL.

XingMing Tue 29-Oct-19 13:33:18

I enjoyed the KarenBritChick footage of NYC; thank you quirky (?). It made me all nostalgic for my twenties. And some amazing statement coats for men; DS's would fit right in.

He's going to a Halloween party tomorrow, and we've just been costuming him (and his GF) so he ransacked my back up/resting wardrobe for her. Then he wanted a black overcoat... I exhumed one of my mum's she passed on many years ago that I don't use much and he's thrilled even though the sleeves are too short. Another co-ownership item. It's like going back to flat-sharing. And I found a little brooch I have been looking for for years!

Redandblue11 Tue 29-Oct-19 18:21:39

grin that would have been funny , no is not you springtime , well you know what I mean
It would have been good though

ToEllewithIt Tue 29-Oct-19 20:25:00

I have to get in with a shameless place mark on the totes and any Paris trip.

I’ve been swamped with the renovation and work, but I really want to dive back into this thread. I miss you all!

Floisme Wed 30-Oct-19 07:16:06

If you fear the grandma word (and personally I think it's pointless but that's for another time) then watch the Vivienne Westwood documentary. We saw it last night: disappointing in many ways, although I can imagine she was very difficult to pin down, but God she looks amazing and also every day of her 78 years. I think she looks better now than she did when she was young - she seems to have grown into herself somehow. Very inspiring. I must wear more colour again.

Redandblue11 Wed 30-Oct-19 08:10:11

I am going to watch that documentary Flo really admite her.

We miss you too Elle, I hope the renovations are going well though, when are they planned to be finished? Which side of Xmas?

Maxima you are looking very well, pls update us with the findings from personal shopper experience.

Today I am wearing the Sandro blazer I got the other day second hand, is a bottle green and wearing with silk blouse in a light green (the word for that specific tone scapes me), I quite like doing tonal dressing when I am unsure of combinations.
I need to invest more in proper expensive blazers tough, the cut and fit you get from this is a million times better than from a high street one. Specially if you, like me, don’t have model like shoulders and one shoulder sits slightly lower.
The fit reminds me of some of the jackets that Andrea from Call My Agent wears.

Floisme Wed 30-Oct-19 08:21:47

It was quite frustrating in many ways, Red as they just couldn't pin her down so they ended up resorting to showing a lot of old clips. I wanted to know more about the years when the business really struggled and nearly went bust, and about how the fashion establishment cold shouldered her for so long. But maybe she didn't want to talk about any of that. Still it was worth it just for the outfits!

botemp Wed 30-Oct-19 09:42:06

New thread and store with totes is up (link is in the OP). I am still playing around with it. I've driven prices down as much as possible but, alas, this print on demand business is never going to be cheap.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/3730806-Les-Parisiennes-de-Mamansnet-Be-More-Aunt-Larry

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »