Talk

Advanced search

Royal style & gossip: from christening gowns to tennis lawns

(1000 Posts)
QueenOfTheAndals Fri 05-Jul-19 22:56:32

Previous thread

And I think we all can agree that it's much more fun if we stick to critiquing the clothes rather than the women!

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 12-Jul-19 12:21:09

Royal style and gossip: photo calls and tennis balls
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/styleandbeauty/3636010-royal-style-and-gossip-photo-calls-and-tennis-balls

Just in time!

pinkladyapples Fri 12-Jul-19 12:06:30

How is it we need a new thread already! Flying through them! smile

SenecaFalls Fri 12-Jul-19 11:46:20

Speaking of impressive royal women, last night I was meandering around Youtube looking for videos about the Norwegian RF, as you do, and came across several interviews in English with CP Mette-Marit. She is obviously serious and committed and really comes across well, and her English is an interesting mix of American and British intonation.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPI4X3hyzo0

BlingLoving Fri 12-Jul-19 11:36:58

So on a tennis, but not royal note but feel I need to get this out:

MIL is a HUGE tennis fan. Absolutely obsessed. And has her favourite players and frankly, gets waaaay over invested (cries if they lose etc).

Anyway, I came in the other day and she was watching TV. "How come you aren't watching Tennis?" I ask innocently, thinking it might be raining at Wimbledon....

Voice dripping with disdain she says, "it's only ladies and doubles today" (subsequently, saw it was doubles with Serena and Andy).

Apparently, only men's tennis counts. I assume she is 100% behind continuing with lower pay and only 3 sets for women's tennis. Sigh.

I love that Kate clearly genuinely loves tennis. I sense that for Meghan it's more about having a friend in the game than a love of tennis in itself (no problems with that). But I love how invested Kate is.

Ninkaninus Fri 12-Jul-19 11:20:05

Whaaa’??

You must go. Take s trip over to Copenhagen and go to Tivoli Gardens, it’s lovely in the summer!

banivani Fri 12-Jul-19 11:18:02

@Ninkaninus I am and I do! Do you know I’ve never been to Denmark? Airport in transfer doesn’t count obviously.

StCharlotte Fri 12-Jul-19 11:16:31

I'm liking ängsliga although as an already oversize person, I don't need to emphadise it. On the plus side it means I rarely meet fellow wedding guests in the same frock.

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 12-Jul-19 11:13:05

I love the idea of Estelle going to see Metallica! You'd never get George or Charlotte doing that!

Ninkaninus Fri 12-Jul-19 11:13:01

@banivani are you Swedish or do you just live there? I’m Danish. I must go back home soon for a visit!

banivani Fri 12-Jul-19 11:10:56

New thread new thread new thread chants

I can bring some Swedish gossip. Princess Estelle went with her parents to Metallica’s concert in Gothenburg - but due to the noise levels children under 13 were not allowed! Scandal! Have the concert management threatened the hearing of our future queen and broken the laws of the land? No they did not, because a separate room was opened especially for the royals and in this space the noise was significantly lower, which has been confirmed by municipal inspectors.

Article and “outfit pics” (they are wearing clothes) here scroll down a bit.

DevonUkelele Fri 12-Jul-19 10:56:04

Omg @Queen that is even cooler. ... the outfits *faints

Notmyrealname855 Fri 12-Jul-19 10:54:54

I’d quite like to see some hats... not sure why, but want a hat fix. There’s a rule against them at Wimbledon I think :/

queenofarles Fri 12-Jul-19 10:53:46

Queen yes some are so ruffled and would only suit someone who is a size 6 UK with no boobs, but some are really pretty like the polka dot skirts and laure dress which I just adore.

But my fav is the dress Maxima wore a couple of years ago,I still wear it whenever we go somewhere warm,

BertrandRussell Fri 12-Jul-19 10:48:43

So that’ll be Meghan in the Royal Box simultaneously attention seeking and unreasonably demanding privacy, and Kate showing how down to earth and just like one of us she is by sitting on a rug on Henman Hill with a picnic in Tupperware grin

beanaseireann Fri 12-Jul-19 10:39:24

€604 for Meghan's dress !
Ah here ( said in Dublin accent), You're having a laugh !!!
I thought it was Cos Carolyn Donnelly The Edit ( I knew it wouldnt be Dunnes)

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 12-Jul-19 10:37:49

KATE AND MEGHAN ATTENDING THE LADIES' FINAL TOMORROW!

(I'd better start thinking about our next thread...)

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 12-Jul-19 10:28:30

@queenofarles Lisa Marie Fernandez. I like the one shoulder swimsuits with the tie at the shoulder but some of the dresses are Ruffle City!

DevonUkelele Fri 12-Jul-19 10:20:09

I like this - partly because we will see the DOC and Wills, and therefore some frockage and suitage.

But mostly because Kate, for once, gets her name first - because she is patron 🤗

queenofarles Fri 12-Jul-19 10:17:56

The maker of Meghan dress , has so many amazing dresses and swimsuits , the swimsuits are work of Art , they sculpt the body and lift the bust and give you a most flattering Shape, I’ve mentioned her on another thread, I don’t know her, though I wish I did! Maybe’d get some freebies, her clothes are £££

queenofarles Fri 12-Jul-19 10:13:10

I can’t tell you how wonderful I think it is that Meghan isn’t back to a size 8 two months after giving birth. That is a feminist thing to do on it’s own! With my two eldest I was back into my size 27 jeans 6 weeks after giving birth, went back to the gym as soon as I was given the all clear <I had c-sections> , my 3rd took a bit longer to shift the weight and tone, but I was determined to get back into shape, being fit has zero to do with feminism , it’s a personal choice.

Notmyrealname855 Fri 12-Jul-19 09:51:30

AppleKatie yes! Max is fabulous smile Vibrant personality and great wardrobe!

Ninkaninus Fri 12-Jul-19 09:46:18

I’m still averting my eyes from that dress! But I waaaaaant it!

<stamping foot>

DuchessDumbarton Fri 12-Jul-19 09:37:48

The more I read of Max, the more I admire her. She's a smart cookie.

Dunnes= fab. I am on a personal buy-no-more-clothes-ban. But their styling and merchandising is spot on and very tempting.
There's one Dunnes near me that is in direct competition with the M&S, 200m further along the same street.

I don't have M&S in my town, and it has been my habit to pop into M&S on my way to one client, to have a browse and pick up some groceries. Recently I had a voucher for Dunnes and popped in there also.
I could have spent what I have in there.

(And, of course, you'd never be accused of notions if you are wearing a Dunnes outfit grin)

beanaseireann Fri 12-Jul-19 09:25:46

Apparently Dunnes Stores closed all its stores in Scotland and England because of Brexit.
But you can buy online.
Carolyn Donnelly The Edit sizes are big. If you are a size 14 go for a size 12 or 10.

AppleKatie Fri 12-Jul-19 09:19:02

That’s a good look on Camilla love the photo too.

Max is doing a brilliant job of ‘feminine boss workwear’. She is a good mix of blend in and stand out from those around her. I’ve only started looking at her from these threads over the last few weeks does she always look like that?

This thread is not accepting new messages.