Talk

Advanced search

Royal style & gossip: from christening gowns to tennis lawns

(1000 Posts)
QueenOfTheAndals Fri 05-Jul-19 22:56:32

Previous thread

And I think we all can agree that it's much more fun if we stick to critiquing the clothes rather than the women!

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sat 06-Jul-19 06:36:39

Prince Harry’s Christening.
Most of Meghan’s outfit will be hidden but the christening gown. She just needs a sharply cut jacket and a cute hat.

QueenOfTheAndals Sat 06-Jul-19 06:42:10

@BlingLoving No, I said east Dulwich and Clapham in south London!

TipseyTorvey Sat 06-Jul-19 06:45:52

Happy Christening day everyone, waves at Queen, thanks for the lovely New thread although I haven't read all of the last one yet. I'm up early so that's my first weekend task!

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sat 06-Jul-19 06:45:59

More details of the christening DM link.

photos to be in the green drawing room where the wedding portraits were taken.
I reckon Meghan will wear pale green Givenchy after reading that.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sat 06-Jul-19 06:51:45

I really hope the Cambridges and children are present.
Without the Queen and Prince Phillip and no godparents in the photoits going to look sparse with only Doria, Charles and Camilla.

QueenOfTheAndals Sat 06-Jul-19 06:55:50

W&K will be in the photos too. Not sure about the children. Have siblings' kids been in other royal christening photos?

CurlyWurlyTwirly Sat 06-Jul-19 07:01:43

Well with WIlliam and Harry, the Phillips children were in the photos.
I think it would be lovely to see all the Wales family together.

Notmyrealname855 Sat 06-Jul-19 07:48:09

Checking in!

Can’t wait for the Archie jigsaw to be complete :P

BigGreenOlives Sat 06-Jul-19 07:57:48

Thank you for the new thread.

Love the practical side of B, sensible work dress & flat shoes, big red satin coat turns work glam.

QueenOfTheAndals Sat 06-Jul-19 08:00:56

Thread on Celeb wedding dresses that may interest some of you!

ElspethFlashman Sat 06-Jul-19 08:02:14

Apparently the "A" necklace was a gift from a brand that I've never heard of.

Gifts have always been a bit of a grey area - whilst the RF trumpet that they pay cost price for everything, that's never been true. Laudner has always gifted their bags to the Queen for example, and continue to gift her any new colours or styles every year.

And like I've said on other threads, I believe a lot of Kates Kiki earrings are gifts from the brand. And Meghan's Monica Vinader is 100% gifted - they are a brand that send a lot of product out to Instagrammers so gifting is part of their PR.

They are already walking advertisements but I can see this already loose protocol becoming so relaxed that the Royals become moniterised by brands.

After all, Kate is already a walking advertisement for Jenny Packham and McQueen and Meghan is an advertisement for Givenchy. I imagine they are charged very little. The brands would be mad. They would whittle that bill down to the nth degree. It may be that they only pay a nominal cost towards those custom gowns. It's in the brands best interest.

DevonUkelele Sat 06-Jul-19 08:02:58

Me too, re the style risks of B&E @GotToGoMyOwnWay ... at least they are never boring.

Cheers for another new thread @Queen 🎩.

Yay for a christening 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼!

ElspethFlashman Sat 06-Jul-19 08:09:29

Also Jessica McCormack, who gave her their tiny little overpriced evil eye ring she was wearing at the tennis, has made full use of the opportunity to plaster her pic wearing it on their IG page. She has a few JmC pieces and they're hideously expensive and I imagine have been all gifted as that's another Hollywood brand that loans/gifts things to celebs as a central part of their PR.

Historically the Palace has issued cease and desist letters to any brand who has the cheek to use a photo of Kate wearing their garment on their website (for example on the home page with a link to buy the dress) . It's considered crossing a line and using her for direct selling. A few have tried, only for the picture to be swiftly taken down.

It'll be interesting to see if this one is taken down. Or allowed to stay up, which will be even more interesting.

Notmyrealname855 Sat 06-Jul-19 08:21:03

Soooo I like Jessica McCormack but have to say when I saw that I thought it really crass.

Was the necklace not by jennifermeyer.com/ ? She’s (no offence) a Hollywood do-little, her dad ran one of the massive studios and she was married to Toby Maguire. Now makes tat jewellery all her friends endorse.

That’s very mean... but it’s frustrating to see mediocre and unimaginative designs promoted, when it’s all just nepotism.

Totally understand wanting to promote your friends too (not sure if K&M actually know any of these lot). But is that not just a form of nepotism? Their pals shouldn’t get any benefit from knowing them (ok we all know they will to some extent, but shouldn’t be on public engagements).

This is where H&M’s Instagram gets a bit sketch IMO. Promoting a friend’s page, or Leo Di Caprio’s... not ethical if you ask me (no one is smile )

ElspethFlashman Sat 06-Jul-19 08:24:39

No, JM do identical ones though. The brand it really is obviously got pissed off with reports speculating it was JM and decided to claim it.

It's a very generic style that a hell of a lot of companies do so the confusion is understandable as Meghan has a bit of JM already.

Notmyrealname855 Sat 06-Jul-19 08:31:33

Well lookey here... she’s obviously not shy about promoting...

Daisypie Sat 06-Jul-19 08:31:52

Looking forward to seeing the christening photos.

Notmyrealname855 Sat 06-Jul-19 08:32:28

And ...

Looks like the royals have given up on any cease and desist

Notmyrealname855 Sat 06-Jul-19 08:34:37

I’m betting it’s all the same for Kate’s designers too, pretty depressing

JM is pretty brazen. Nothing wrong with it in Hollywood but feels wrong with the royals

ElspethFlashman Sat 06-Jul-19 08:37:33

But if you look at the KikiMcDonagh IG page there's not a single photo or reference to Kate.

In other news, now I want ALL THE THINGS.

Myimaginarycathasfleas Sat 06-Jul-19 08:59:16

Maybe a cease and desist letter would only apply for a UK company? Another reason for the RF confining themselves to British brands and designs in public.

I agree with you, Curly, I expect M to be wearing something green to tone perfectly with the background. Her wedding photos were exquisite. She (or her design advisers) have a great sense of colour.

Myimaginarycathasfleas Sat 06-Jul-19 09:04:45

Oh, just discovered Jessica McCormack is in Mayfair. Scrub my last post.

ElspethFlashman Sat 06-Jul-19 09:08:52

I believe they use foreign solicitors when the occasion requires (like the French topless photos). So they could get a letter sent from a US firm easily.

Notmyrealname855 Sat 06-Jul-19 09:10:22

Jessica McCormack has about as many promo pics of MM. Sucks because I loved her designs! But it doesn’t feel ethical at all.

Wonder if this is true of Sophie, B&E?

Myimaginarycathasfleas Sat 06-Jul-19 09:11:58

May I offer this little 'gem' to start the day?

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2muugt

This thread is not accepting new messages.