Talk

Advanced search

Royal style & gossip: strawberries, serves and sartorial splendour - anyone for tennis?

(980 Posts)
QueenOfTheAndals Thu 27-Jun-19 10:27:31

Previous thread

AppleKatie Fri 05-Jul-19 17:47:39

I just meant out of step with that section of conversation about that particular outfit yes. I think (and I’m honestly not trying to start a row) you’re doing it again, equating a conversation about one outfit with an opinion on much wider issues.

JaimeBronde Fri 05-Jul-19 18:01:26

I know what you mean re the sales as towards the end they bring out any old tat that's been stored in the warehouses (as it didn't sell previously).
My friends poor DD when she worked there (during university) had to be in the store by 4.30am on Boxing Day, ready for the store to open at 5am!
Complete madness!

mathanxiety Fri 05-Jul-19 18:04:28

Inspired by the mention of Jackie O, I wonder if MM will go for a 60s neckline?
images.app.goo.gl/GTVhfT6jF9pRodGF6

She would need a pillbox hat with something like that. It wouldn't look good with a fascinator.

I can see her opting for navy, maybe like this one with the flappy bit in the front of the skirt images.app.goo.gl/VUqvM5TdB5pLjeWSA
Is there any rule about compulsory sleeves though?

I hope she won't go for the sludgy colour but this style from Louis' christening would be very appropriate images.app.goo.gl/aqGpuWHxfwaoyN8j8

ChardonnaysPrettySister Fri 05-Jul-19 18:06:52

It's a funny place, Next.

Went in there last week and they had exactly the same dress in a dozen different fabrics and two lengths, I think.

Bizarre.

mathanxiety Fri 05-Jul-19 18:10:02

I would 100% abolish the institution too, AnneEyhtMeyer, but I don't personally dislike (or like) anyone born into that particular family or married into it. How could I since I do not know any of them?

JaimeBronde Fri 05-Jul-19 18:10:10

Trying to be the peacemaker here I think Anne meant that Meghan's clothes were the fright & did nothing for her (though I disagree I thought M looked fab) and it came out a bit too direct.
A bit like I would say to the middle DSis in my family (if she was trying on something that didn't suit her or made her look horrible) 'oh Sis this top is lovely try it on instead, it will look really good on you.'
Whereas youngest Sis will say 'You look shit in that. Wear the other one'
We both mean the same but my younger sister sounds rude, even though she isn't meaning to be rude.

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 05-Jul-19 18:11:35

@mathanxiety I thought the style of her dress from Louis' christening was lovely but the colour wasn't. Whatever she chooses, I just hope the fit is right! She seems to struggle with fit but if it's couture then there's no excuse. Then again, if you're breastfeeding, your chest sometimes has a mind of its own!

mathanxiety Fri 05-Jul-19 18:15:43

Yes indeed, that dress would have looked far nicer in another colour. It has the boatneck that harkens back to her wedding dress. This might present problems with a nursing bra though. I would not have felt at all confident heading out anywhere with a strapless bra at two months post partum.

Maybe a v-neck is more likely.

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 05-Jul-19 18:16:41

I picked up a 100% silk dress by former Kate fave Issa in a charity shop today for the princely sum of £7.50!

IIRC, there's a reason Issa fell out of favour with her but I can't remember what it is.

Myimaginarycathasfleas Fri 05-Jul-19 18:18:59

Of the three you posted @mathanxiety I love the second (blue) dress. It's really good for her shape as it softens her figure. I think she might go for something covering arms to be on the safe side, at least for inside church. I do love most of M's clothes, just wish she would sort the heels out.

According to the Daily Express online H&M "particularly" wanted the christening to be today but had to reschedule as neither HM nor the PoW were available, so it was rearranged to accommodate the PoW. I don't know where they get their info from, could be bollox.

beanaseireann Fri 05-Jul-19 18:20:19

I think Eugenie's take on Jackie O's look was ghastly.
It just did nothing for her.

AppleKatie Fri 05-Jul-19 18:24:34

I don’t believe all this ‘last minute’ date nonsense! As if three/four likely dates haven’t been pencilled in since before Christmas 😂
An occasion that requires a host of senior royals, a prestigious venue, security, several (probably) high profile godparents and the Arch Bishop of Canterbury? Oh yeah they sat down with their diary last weekend and said they really fancy next friday? But then his dad asked them to make it Saturday 🤷‍♀️

It’s more complicated than that to organise a meal out with three mum friends 😂

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 05-Jul-19 18:25:44

I agree @beanaseireann. It would've suited Meghan or Kate better as they aren't as voluptuous. Clearly Eugenie isn't reading this thread as she's wedded to her high necklines!

beanaseireann Fri 05-Jul-19 18:26:04

I agree AppleKatie.

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 05-Jul-19 18:28:19

I think it's possible that they've known the christening date for a while but only released it to the press earlier this week. What is HM up to tomorrow? The court circular doesn't have anything for her.

Myimaginarycathasfleas Fri 05-Jul-19 18:29:14

I don't find AnneEyhtMeyer's posts particularly negative or argumentative, she presents a different view which I enjoy reading, as I do most others. A spread of views is always welcome, robustly expressed is fine, abusively so is not.

Harsher things have been said on these threads without comeback. Shall we all move on?

Myimaginarycathasfleas Fri 05-Jul-19 18:32:35

She's spending a long planned weekend with Prince Philip at Sandringham, apparently.

JaimeBronde Fri 05-Jul-19 18:36:39

I could also see Meghan in one of these 1 & 2 are Stella McCartney & 3 is Alice & Olivia.

JaimeBronde Fri 05-Jul-19 18:40:32

I can see wearing these at a later date. 1 is Roland Mouret, 2 is Gucci & 3 is D&G

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 05-Jul-19 18:41:20

I love the spotty dress. The third one is lovely too but perhaps a bit too glitzy for a daytime event like a christening.

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 05-Jul-19 18:44:13

Isn't the D&G a green version of what Kate wore to Wimbledon last year?

mathanxiety Fri 05-Jul-19 18:46:25

AppleKatie, I agree wrt the date of the christening and the planning.
Everyone has known the baby would be born after nine months of pregnancy and that he would be christened within a few months of that event. It would have been possible to find a date where HMQ wasn't cutting ribbons somewhere within a reasonable time frame after the due date.

Myimaginarycathasfleas Fri 05-Jul-19 18:46:46

I do like the flared hem on the D&G, I think that would really suit M. Not so sure about the sleeves. The red one is gorgeous.

JaimeBronde Fri 05-Jul-19 18:49:00

Ah yes this one Queen
I thought it looked familiar.

mathanxiety Fri 05-Jul-19 18:49:25

Love that hot orange Roland Mouret dress. It would look fab on Letizia too. I thought the coral(?) tangerine(?) dress linked upthread was gorgeous on her - much nicer than any of the fire engine reds she wears.

JaimeBronde Fri 05-Jul-19 18:50:55

I also like the 3 dresses NotMyReal picked out.
Tough decisions.

Laiste Fri 05-Jul-19 18:51:25

I think she'll wear something similar to what she wore at the trooping. Tailored, and coat-like, but soft lines. Hopefully not in navy or olive

Myimaginarycathasfleas Fri 05-Jul-19 18:56:56

If that's the same dress I prefer it in yellow but don't think Kate's has the kick hem.

Myimaginarycathasfleas Fri 05-Jul-19 18:58:52

Anyone interested in what I'll be wearing tomorrow?

I'm thinking blue bikini, or maybe a one piece. Can't decide. 😁

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 05-Jul-19 19:02:36

To the christening @Myimaginarycathasfleas? Well one thing's for certain, no one will notice what Meghan's wearing then!!!grin

JaimeBronde Fri 05-Jul-19 19:03:17

What colour is your one piece CatFlea?
And is the occasion beach, swimming pool, back garden or draped over a car? grin

Laiste Fri 05-Jul-19 19:06:42

Well i can't believe no one's asked what I'M wearing tomorrow! I've got to get through ferrying DD to ballet and then to her class mate's birthday party, and lastly a late afternoon stint of shifting huge sheets of plasterboard with DH. Givenchy? McCartney?
grin

Myimaginarycathasfleas Fri 05-Jul-19 19:08:57

Sounds like a few costume changes there, @Laiste, you'd be right at home with a Sandringham Christmas.

Laiste Fri 05-Jul-19 19:09:31

LOL grin

Myimaginarycathasfleas Fri 05-Jul-19 19:11:43

Since you ask, my one piece is a fetching purple with hidden tummy control. The occasion is swimming pool, I may throw on a sarong....

JaimeBronde Fri 05-Jul-19 19:17:11

Might be a bit over dressed with the sarong grin

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 05-Jul-19 19:21:00

I have a (non-glamorous) awards evening to go to on Monday - what should I wear???

ElspethFlashman Fri 05-Jul-19 19:30:22

If its non-glam, then a shift dress is your best bet a la Carole Middleton. You never look like you're trying too hard in a shift dress. "Look, I put on a dress for you, but I'm damned if I'm going to haul out the Spanx for this"

Laiste Fri 05-Jul-19 19:30:46

Monday it's supposed to be warm again isn't it? Here's the S/S collection at Grand Palais by Chanel. How about the slightly hairy looking little suit at 3:42 Queen? smile

www.youtube.com/watch?v=68lCYXuaql4

Laiste Fri 05-Jul-19 19:32:14

They all look so bloody miserable!

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 05-Jul-19 19:51:52

I don't own a shift dress! I do however have an Anglomania one that I might wear.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 05-Jul-19 20:04:41

I love Vivienne Westwood! ( in my imaginary life).
Tomorrow; I too will be wearing a swimming costume with tummy control and sturdy straps to hook up the bosom; as I am going canoeing. Bright orange so I can be spotted as I float down the river!

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 05-Jul-19 20:05:46

*hoik, not hook

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 05-Jul-19 20:14:02

@CurlyWurlyTwirly It was one of my many charity shop finds! There's a
Westwood wedding dress I love the look of but alas my budget is more Ghost!

BlingLoving Fri 05-Jul-19 20:31:46

Chardonnay - I think the multiple dresses thing is a way to keep costs down. I briefly caught a glimpse the other day and I think the new ones are a slightly different version of their cotton/linen shifts from.last year that were a huge hit- easy yo wear and forgiving in terms of fit ext. They've added sleeves I think. Not sure if they have changed the fabric.

I bought one in navy blue. Brilliant £22 spend. I saw a lot of women wearing them around town.

Most of Next adult stuff is too fussy and cheap looking, but like with Wallis, I like to take a look round as I find I can pick up something that looks.good and is very reasonably priced once or twice a year. Their slimming jeans are also surprisingly good for the price and I have a friend who, when they stopped making them for a while, got herself a pair on eBay she loves them so much!

beanaseireann Fri 05-Jul-19 20:34:03

Curly what was the thread started I think, by you, on Celebrity Style actually called ?
I can't find it now.

BlingLoving Fri 05-Jul-19 20:35:14

@queen, as a veteran of awards dinners, I second the shift dress idea. I am larger so I have tended to wear the kind of smart wrap or tailored dresses (think phase 8 - not height of style but good for curvy women with large breasts like me who need to look.smart) I would usually wear to work with a cardi or jacket but a shift dress in a high quality fabric would suit perfectly.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 05-Jul-19 20:55:35

@beanaseireann

Here you go
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/3439192-Celebrity-Style-Gossip

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 05-Jul-19 20:56:44

@QueenOfTheAndals
You are the queen of charity shop finds.
I would only find gardening and decorating clothes if I had a rummage!

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 05-Jul-19 20:58:39

@QueenOfTheAndalsI think we should go fund you a Westwood wedding dress, as long as you wear a bird on your head like Carrie / SJP in the satc movie. I love that film, especially the wedding dress trying on sessions!

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 05-Jul-19 20:59:41

I even found a genuine Mulberry in one a few weeks ago!

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 05-Jul-19 21:07:33

This was the dress I liked though it looks like it was last season and isn't available now. (Note: I'd style it differently to the model!)

Spudlet Fri 05-Jul-19 21:13:11

Your charity shops are clearly very different to rural Norfolk’s (not the DoC’s part of rural Norfolk, think less designer, more sensible griege anoraks) charity shops, Queen grin

Wetdogloveshubert Fri 05-Jul-19 21:26:53

Geri Horner wore Alexander McQueen to Wimbledon today - the pictures made me think of you lovely lot. It strikes me as quite Kate-like, though she seems to have moved away from this style lately. Note the Meghan-esque hat!

And Phoebe Waller-Bridge just because I love her.

Spudlet Fri 05-Jul-19 21:34:18

Kate would look lovely in either of those dresses (as do Geri H and Phoebe W-B!). They have elements that she likes in each, but they’re just a little more simple and pared back than the things she seems to be choosing at the moment. She just needs to step away from the haberdashery department generally, IMO.

Notmyrealname855 Fri 05-Jul-19 21:42:23

Queen where on earth do you live?! Take us shopping!!!

Notmyrealname855 Fri 05-Jul-19 21:44:21

If anyone wants to know what I’ll be wearing... my partner’s boxers and MAYBE a bra. This heat is unbearable!!

(It bears repeating... how do MM, Geri and Fleabag lady... how does their makeup stay in place?! My mascara is halfway down my chin by mid morning)

Myimaginarycathasfleas Fri 05-Jul-19 21:51:44

I have a lovely picture in my head of Queen in full "Follow my umbrella" mode, leading a determined band of MN shoppers round London's smarter charity shops.

Paradyning Fri 05-Jul-19 21:57:48

I loved Geri's dress! Think it's more MM's style than KM.
I've seen Gezza loads and her waist is absolutely teeny tiny in really life - akin to how I imagine Kate's to be so maybe that dress would be very flattering on Kate.
Shout out to Mr Halliwell too. Looking very dapper.

Notmyrealname855 Fri 05-Jul-19 22:02:22

Queen are you in London?! Can you drop hints as to roughly the areas we should be hunting in?!

JaimeBronde Fri 05-Jul-19 22:02:35

MyImaginaryCat we'd be like the ducks in the photo

Myimaginarycathasfleas Fri 05-Jul-19 22:03:28

@JaimeBronde

😂😂😂

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 05-Jul-19 22:14:01

I saw geri’s dress and thought it’s very Meghan.
I’m impressed that Geri can work boobs with a high neck. She looks v.good

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 05-Jul-19 22:20:50

@Notmyrealname855 Yes, I live in north London. Basically if you want a good chazzer then head to a well-heeled area! So in north London it's Hampstead, Primrose Hill, Highgate, Crouch End, Muswell Hill. East Dulwich (and probably Clapham) in south London. Chelsea, Kensington, Chiswick, Richmond for west London. Afraid I don't have any recommendations for east!

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 05-Jul-19 22:24:13

Also Shelter have a new concept called Boutique by Shelter. A bit like Mary Portas' Living and Giving shops for Save the Children. That's where you can find a lot of high end labels, though all my buys have been in regular shops like Cancer Research or Marie Curie.

Spudlet Fri 05-Jul-19 22:24:22

Cat grin

I once saw a tour group following a Pikachu which had been impaled on the stick but of a folding umbrella around the Sistine Chapel (which took me out of the art appreciation moment, I must say). I feel we should have an appropriately themed thing to follow as well. Perhaps a crown on a stick? A unicorn from the Royal coat of arms?

Myimaginarycathasfleas Fri 05-Jul-19 22:28:43

We shall all wear tiaras, @Spudlet 😁

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 05-Jul-19 22:34:37

As long as no one screamed at the Sistine @Spudlet!

Spudlet Fri 05-Jul-19 22:40:40

Lol, I may have internally snorted, but I didn't scream grin (that thread though!)

Indeed, tiaras to be worn please everyone! crown

Notmyrealname855 Fri 05-Jul-19 22:41:32

Ooooh I’m off to norf London!!

DevonUkelele Fri 05-Jul-19 22:44:45

George was a boofer, wasn't he @Notmyrealname? 😁

I ❤️❤️ that Roland Mouret @JaimeBronde. Swoon.

Saturday morning already in Australia, and christening excitement is building (at least, it is at my place!). Another fine opportunity for frocks and shots - @Queen we might need a new thread to mark the occasion?

UrsulaPandress Fri 05-Jul-19 22:57:06

Gerri Halliwell has irrationally annoyed me at the tennis today.

I am tied to my chair due to decrepit dog and saw her realise she was on the tv (she told her husband) and then started all the bloody gurning.

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 05-Jul-19 22:58:20

I'm off to bed now but in case this thread reaches 1k overnight, here's the new one.

myrtleWilson Fri 05-Jul-19 23:08:20

Geri annoyed me too - she was just so bouncy and clappy and puppy dog like....

But loved Coco... what a tournament she's having (aware am veering off topic)

UrsulaPandress Fri 05-Jul-19 23:09:22

Coco is my new girl crush.

Boinky Fri 05-Jul-19 23:10:53

Imagine having that kind of composure at 15!

Boinky Fri 05-Jul-19 23:11:38

Geri Halliwell is always annoying. Always.

beanaseireann Fri 05-Jul-19 23:34:18

Thank you CurlyWurlyTwirly for the link.
Thank you QueenoftheAndals for the new thread.

mathanxiety Sat 06-Jul-19 03:09:38

Laiste thank you so much for that surreal video!
I actually loved the clothes.

For some reason I couldn't help thinking the music should have been Jedward's Greatest Hits though smile

ajandjjmum Sat 06-Jul-19 08:54:11

Surprised Christian Horner could have the day off work, thought they'd be flat out getting ready for Silverstone!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »