Talk

Advanced search

Royal style & gossip: strawberries, serves and sartorial splendour - anyone for tennis?

(980 Posts)
QueenOfTheAndals Thu 27-Jun-19 10:27:31

Previous thread

youngestisapsycho Thu 27-Jun-19 10:27:56

Cnecking in! smile

youngestisapsycho Thu 27-Jun-19 10:28:12

or checking even....

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 27-Jun-19 10:28:14

Credit for the title goes to @beanaseirann

AngelaScandal Thu 27-Jun-19 10:41:08

Well done bean (maith thú) and thank you Queen

FATEdestiny Thu 27-Jun-19 10:41:37

Checking in

Daisypie Thu 27-Jun-19 10:44:42

Thanks Queen.

itswinetime Thu 27-Jun-19 10:45:35

Here

BlingLoving Thu 27-Jun-19 10:53:38

Whoo hoo - I'm making it onto a new thread before we get to 160 posts! Great title - good work Beanie. I'm terrible at headlines (something I do need to do in my job) so I'll be sending you and Queen some PMs when necessary from now on, okay? wink

Apparently Ralph Lauren insiders have said Meghan might wear one of their designs for Archie's christening and they've sent over some outfits. I can only assume the fact that it's hit twitter means that Ralph Lauren is pretty much the LAST designer Meghan will be wearing at this point!?

Do you guys remember that bra fitter lady (Rigby and Peller I think) who was all outraged because she had her royal warrant removed after she wrote a book in which she talked about fitting bras on the queen? I thought that was hilarious.

AppleKatie Thu 27-Jun-19 11:03:47

🤣 I didn’t know that about Rigby and Peller but yup that is hilarious. Imagine thinking the Queen would want her Bra fitting discussed openly... shock

AnneEyhtMeyer Thu 27-Jun-19 11:06:49

New thread already? Blimey! Great title!

Referring back to the previous thread, I agree they are positioning William as Prince of Wales in waiting. I hope the Queen has a good few years left in her yet though.

trixiebelden77 Thu 27-Jun-19 11:09:12

Posting for the first time.

Love reading this thread because I can fantasise about the clothes and the jewels and the sheer loveliness of being so well-groomed!

I wear scrubs to work sad

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 27-Jun-19 11:12:00

Great username @trixiebelden77, I remember those books!

Spudlet Thu 27-Jun-19 11:18:52

Oi oi everyone - nice title bean!

Trixie I too dream of a life in which nice clothes are a thing... rather than practical everything for toddler wrangling. And someone else to do the hoovering and clean the loo, and do any other boring jobs I don’t fancy like clipping the dog or emptying the washing machine. And being able to wear pretty shoes!

Hey ho grin

Spudlet Thu 27-Jun-19 11:33:27

The Queen strikes me as a very sensible woman, and not someone to shy away from the thought of her own mortality. She’s seemingly in great health now but for anyone of her age that can be fragile - it doesn’t take much to tip a person into a decline and that decline can be very rapid indeed (my own dgf was a case in point, going from a bit frail but essentially fine to a hospice in a matter of weeks, bless him). I suspect the Queen knows this as well as anyone and is making sure everything is in place so that when the inevitable happens, at least her heirs will be prepared for their roles.

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 27-Jun-19 11:47:20

I think we'll see a sharp decline in HM once the DoE goes. They've known each other 80 years - even if it hasn't always been smooth sailing, he's always been there, so it'll be hard for her to adjust to being without him. Still, he seems hale and hearty for 98 so he may be with us for some time yet!

RomaineCalm Thu 27-Jun-19 11:53:55

Just checking in. I don't often have anything useful to add to these threads but love reading the comments/opinions on the RF.

Rhubarbisevil Thu 27-Jun-19 12:27:09

Checking in. Thanks queen!!

DevonUkelele Thu 27-Jun-19 12:28:47

Checking in with everyone else 🤗. Thanks for the new thread @Queen.

Also chiming in to say I think the RF draw quite a distinction between themselves as people and their roles.

That is, the Queen (and others) may contemplate her mortality, but they are also very aware that the role goes on beyond and without her. The POW becomes monarch, his eldest son (eldest child in the future?) more than likely becomes prince of Wales, his offspring take various titles, etc, etc.

It's part of the history and continuity that contributes to the majesty of the monarchy.

Preparing each one for their next role is all part of the gig. And HM may be more aware of this than most given she had relatively little time for such training because her own father did not have too many years as monarch.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 27-Jun-19 12:28:58

Checking in!

LadyCassandra Thu 27-Jun-19 12:29:05

Checking in too. Nice to actually check in before the thread is halfway though!

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 27-Jun-19 13:00:08

I wonder which bits of her job the Queen Actually enjoys? Lots of the investitures seem to be handed over to Charles & William.
I wonder if Charles gets a copy of the red boxes; or at least a summary?

I can't imagine having to come home to paperwork every day aged 93!

I think instead of abdicating; HM is just sensibly handing over big chunks of the job.

pinkladyapples Thu 27-Jun-19 13:03:34

Checking in, thanks Queen.

UrsulaPandress Thu 27-Jun-19 13:10:06

I feel quite faint at the prospect of a Coronation!

But.

Long live the Queen.

AnneEyhtMeyer Thu 27-Jun-19 13:11:34

I'm really not sure the death of the DofE will make a difference - they live separate lives and have done for years.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 27-Jun-19 13:18:45

@AnneEyhtMeyer

I know the DofE has had his - ahem - outside interests.
However I think the knowing that he is around, and is the only person who doesn't defer to her keeps her grounded. That and her dogs and horses are the cloldest she gets to a normal life.

AnneEyhtMeyer Thu 27-Jun-19 13:23:16

Yes I agree with that side of it I just don't see her falling into decline when he goes. He lives almost permanently at Sandringham now in his own accommodation.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 27-Jun-19 13:27:50

Oh that's interesting about Sandringham. I know he stayed at wood farm. I assumed he was at Windsor when the Queen was.

I presume Penny Romsey is a regular visitor. I really don't know how the Queen gets her head around that particular friendship.

evilharpy Thu 27-Jun-19 13:37:45

New thread already! I completely missed most of the last one. I'm so far behind, I've only just seen Kate on Blue Peter.

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 27-Jun-19 13:37:49

I too thought he was based at Windsor? Penny Romsey is married to the Marquess of Milford Haven isn't she? So the DoE's first cousin once or twice removed? I can't imagine he gets up to much these days with her other than actual carriage driving!

Myimaginarycathasfleas Thu 27-Jun-19 13:40:27

Hurrah, new thread! Thanks Queans. (See what I did there? 😂)

frugalkitty Thu 27-Jun-19 13:50:43

Checking in, thanks Queen and Beanie

My DS is off to his prom this evening, do you think he'll let me wear my wedding tiara in the photos?? grin

frugalkitty Thu 27-Jun-19 13:57:46

Another nice outfit from Leti today, I really like this.

GotToGoMyOwnWay Thu 27-Jun-19 14:18:27

Thanks ladies for new title & thread.

Do we remember how we speculated why Carole Middleton had done an interview? I’m wondering whether that was to placate the press about the Rose rumours?

Say what you will about the relationship between DofE & HM - they have been together for so many years it will be a wrench whatever the actual situation is.

megletthesecond Thu 27-Jun-19 14:19:56

yy curly. Charles will be fine as king.

I've always been quite fond of his eco and architectural grumbles.

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 27-Jun-19 14:21:18

Leti is 46. Apart from the nose job she's generally thought to have had years ago, do we think she's had any 'work' done? I'm starting to think most women in the public eye have botox and/or fillers, it's just that some have better dermatologists than others!

DobbyTheHouseElk Thu 27-Jun-19 14:43:17

These threads fill up quickly. Thanks Queen.

SenecaFalls Thu 27-Jun-19 14:48:13

Leti always does smart trousers well.

Wetdogloveshubert Thu 27-Jun-19 15:01:11

I like Leti's outfit, bar the shoes. Those heels are skyscrapers!

Thanks @QueenOfTheAndals and bean for our thread title! Hurrah for Wimbledon, and new frocks. I'm hoping Kate and Meghan come en masse every day and gossip endlessly.

youngestisapsycho Thu 27-Jun-19 15:05:39

Was just in the Hight street... lots of whistling and police motorbike flew past me going very very fast! Then along comes a car with Princess Anne in it. The road was empty, certainly no reason for the police bike to to be speeding!

beanaseireann Thu 27-Jun-19 15:25:30

AngelaScandal ( I love your username - are you her ? wink)
Go raibh maith agat ( in reply to your post of 10.41 am )

beanaseireann Thu 27-Jun-19 15:31:50

Oh Queen grin
".......I can't imagine he gets up to much with her these days other than actual carriage driving !"

AdaColeman Thu 27-Jun-19 16:12:19

👑 👑 👑

Myimaginarycathasfleas Thu 27-Jun-19 16:53:19

There's no getting away from it, the DoE was quite the dish in his younger days. Can you imagine the fuss that would have been made of him if he'd been born in William's time and allowed to go to university?

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 27-Jun-19 17:02:55

He was, and quite a leftfield choice for HM too I'd imagine. There were a few grey mens' noses put out of joint, even then!

Rhubarbisevil Thu 27-Jun-19 17:22:36

I don’t think Meghan will be at Wimbledon. She won’t be able to discreetly rearrange her breast pads.

SenecaFalls Thu 27-Jun-19 17:32:47

Yes, I think that the RF, and no doubt the men in gray, wanted Elizabeth to marry a British aristocrat. Supposedly her parents gave several dances to which they invited suitable young men for her to meet. But she had already given her heart to Philip and was having none of the young aristos.

I posted this on one of the other threads, but my favorite story about Philip and the men in gray is that evidently one of them was rather officiously showing Philip around Windsor Castle shortly after the engagement. Not known for his patience, Philip finally managed to shorten the narrative by telling the man "Yes, I know. My mother was born here."

shedid Thu 27-Jun-19 17:35:17

Checking in, thanks Queen

latedecember1963 Thu 27-Jun-19 17:53:03

Checking in & thanks Queen.
Leti looking elegant as usual. She always looks cool and collected. Perhaps she hasn't started the menopause yet 😁.

AliasGrape Thu 27-Jun-19 18:01:06

Checking in, thanks for the new thread!

Agree the DofE was definitely hot as a young man. The Queen was rather lovely though too.

Wetdogloveshubert Thu 27-Jun-19 18:06:14

The Royal Family instagram (including Clarence House) are posting a lot these days. Princess Alexandra visited Leeds Castle this week and looked very jolly. And Edward was back in his double breasted best for a trip to Lords. Scuse the screenshots.

AngelaScandal Thu 27-Jun-19 18:32:01

bean grin sadly not, she has much better hair!

BlingLoving Thu 27-Jun-19 18:33:45

Honestly, whether or not he's had affairs or whatnot, I agree that he is an intrinsic part of her life and I find it hard to believe that the death of either of them wouldn't hit the other one extremely hard. There's that absolutely gorgeous photo of them taken a few years ago for an anniversary or jubilee or something and she's looking at him as adoringly as she did when they were young. Let me see if I can find it.

No matter what, they've navigated a long, complicated and historically significant marriage that includes children and grandchildren who are all high profile and positioned to make a difference (up to a point) in the world. And no matter how good an actor you are or how ingrained your sense of duty is, I don't believe for a second their years and years of public cohesion would be possible if back behind closed doors they have nothing to do with each other.

BlingLoving Thu 27-Jun-19 18:33:56

here

BlingLoving Thu 27-Jun-19 18:34:44

Actually, I googled: queen prince phillip anniversary loving photo and got LOADS.

onyourway Thu 27-Jun-19 18:43:50

Their Instagram has confirmed they are taking Archie to South Africa smile

onyourway Thu 27-Jun-19 18:44:42

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzN8VdOlsbk/?igshid=1ayyig5p5tvp9

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 27-Jun-19 19:00:40

They haven't said when in the autumn they're going but I assume it'll be when Meghan is back from maternity leave. Archie will be about 6 months by then.

Spudlet Thu 27-Jun-19 19:09:16

It’s a lovely picture they chose for that post. It did make me smile that Meghan has her hands sort of clasped together - like she’s literally just been told where they’re going and is SO EXCITED grin

Lovely that they can take Archie - George must have been about the same age when they took him to Australia and New Zealand? There were some great pics from that, of toys being generally flung as babies do tend to do grin

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 27-Jun-19 19:12:00

I think that's one that was taken before they married, I can remember that top.

AppleKatie Thu 27-Jun-19 19:41:28

They look like X factor hopefuls in that pic 😂

It seems to suggest they are going to SA as a family then Harry is going on to the other countries alone?

Horsemad Thu 27-Jun-19 19:45:28

Just a quick placemark, thanks for the new thread 😊

AnneEyhtMeyer Thu 27-Jun-19 19:49:33

Are we going to have had all the pieces of the Archie jigsaw / part-work by then or will they have to put him under a sheet when in view of the press?

escapade1234 Thu 27-Jun-19 20:28:29

The Archie jigsaw. 😂

Mrsmadevans Thu 27-Jun-19 20:55:17

Thank you for the new thread Queen , lovely picture of Leti looking very cool in the heat .
The DM today says 'The Queen ''doesn't have an intimate relationship' with the Duchess of Cambridge – but the Duchess of Sussex 'makes her laugh,' a royal expert has claimed. Ingrid Seward Royal Expert hmm was spinning some rubbish about Meghan having a different relationship with the Queen because she makes her laugh, l wasn't going to say anything about it but when l came across this picture. l thought what a load of tosh.
www.instagram.com/p/BvLsA20FKz1/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 27-Jun-19 21:16:29

How does one become a Royal Expert? After 30 of these threads I reckon we could all add that to our CVs!

Notmyrealname855 Thu 27-Jun-19 21:28:24

Checking in!!

Leti looking swish as always star

Erm what is the point of that article? Really... really? As pp says, what makes a “royal expert”? What’s with the attack on Kate? It’s seriously so boring having these divisive articles... though it’s in the Fail so what else do we expect!

So... a while ago I swear someone on these threads posted a REALLY interesting website about work celebs have had done. It really carefully looked at a bunch of them, and reveals SO much about Botox and fillers... a nose job is first on the list with all of them (keeping the shape but making smaller). Can’t remember the name of the site but it was so interesting! And rather inspiring blush

Anyway, would say fillers seem as regular as foundation with lots of people.

Also making me realise that whoever invented Botox must be richer than all these royals!

Myimaginarycathasfleas Thu 27-Jun-19 22:00:32

I don't know why it's a surprise to the DM that the Queen doesn't have an intimate relationship with her grandson's wife. I'm sure they get on fine.

She may find M more entertaining company than K, who knows, but I doubt whether there's more to it than that.

HM is a shrewd lady. She's bringing them all into line ready for when they have to take over from her.

AppleKatie Thu 27-Jun-19 22:09:49

In a really cynical approach Kate is for duty and Meghan is for fun if you look at their relative roles in the RF.

Also Meghan was older and more established as a person upon her arrival in HMs life. If Kate was too scared to make jokes for the first couple of years I wouldn’t actually blame her...

Also it’s a load of old shit and she approved both marriages which rather suggests she er approves of both...

MotherofPearl Thu 27-Jun-19 22:39:13

Checking in. Thanks for the new thread Queen. I already have catching up to do.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 27-Jun-19 22:48:11

The SussexRoyal photo is from their first or 2 nd engagement.
I’m Archie will go to SA.
He may well not be seen in public.

Penny and Norton Romney are the current Earl and Countess Mountbatten. He inherited the title through his mother. I wonder why they made that exception....?

JaimeBronde Thu 27-Jun-19 23:03:04

Thanks Queen
Glad you are ok @mathanxiety 2 of my friend's live in N Carolina & Alabama so I understand the heat thing! (Was Tracy)

Myimaginarycathasfleas Thu 27-Jun-19 23:10:18

Pretty sure Archie will be seen in SA. I think it's just Brits won't get a first look.

AdaColeman Fri 28-Jun-19 00:17:47

Mountbatten had no sons, only two grown up daughters, when he was created Viscount in 1946 and Earl the following year, so the Letters Patent were drawn up to allow his daughter Patricia to inherit the title and thereafter her male line. Should there be no male heir, the title would pass to the younger sister and her male line.

I hope that explains it for whoever asked.

SenecaFalls Fri 28-Jun-19 01:02:59

A similar arrangement was made for the first Duke of Marlborough who had no surviving sons.

Inniu Fri 28-Jun-19 01:10:53

No sign of them doing that for Andy/Bea

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 28-Jun-19 02:38:57

Normally the Duke of York title is reserved for the second son of a monarch..
Given the longevity of the Windsors, there won’t be that many Dukedoms knocking around for George and Louis.

I wonder what will happen to the Cambridge Dukedom when William becomes Prince of Wales....

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 28-Jun-19 06:06:39

I guess it could go to George, depending on how old he is. And eventually Princess Royal and Duke of York will make their way to Charlotte and Louis.

mathanxiety Fri 28-Jun-19 06:46:40

Waves to JaimeBronde/Tracy smile

I'm a good deal further north but the heat is stifling.

whatswithtodaytoday Fri 28-Jun-19 07:04:14

Placemarking as I love these threads but often lose them.

Joining in to say - yes, I believe most women in the public eye (and probably quite a few men) have cosmetic work done. Botox seems to be out of favour now as it has quite obvious side-effects, but there are all sorts of procedures which smooth and plump the skin and subtlety improve the look of a face. I watched a video recently by one of the Pixiwoo sisters about what she's had done, it was a revelation!

And back to the Royals - I'm very much looking forward to Kate's Wimbledon outfits, I think they're often her best non-fancy clothes.

Mrsmadevans Fri 28-Jun-19 08:32:46

Totally with you on looking forward to Kate's Wimblers outfits Whatswith. They have been gorgeous in the past 😍. I wonder if Meghan will attend? She is great friends with Serena so l wouldn't be surprised if they arrange for her to present her with the ladies singles trophy at the finals , it's a given she will win methinks 😁

Spudlet Fri 28-Jun-19 08:37:11

Some of Kate’s Wimbledon summer dresses have been lovely! And I really liked Meghan’s outfit last year too, although I know it wasn’t as popular with everyone on here.

Hope we get some sunshine for it (if only to prevent an impromptu Cliff-ing grin)

GotToGoMyOwnWay Fri 28-Jun-19 08:43:26

Morning all. Nothing of note to add today so a blatant placemark grin

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 28-Jun-19 08:53:10

The Royal princes usually get their dukedoms on marriage.
So when William becomes Prince of Wales; the Cambridge Dukedom goes “ back into the pot” so to speak; for George.

Touch and go whether the York Dukedom will be available for Louis.
Prince Andrew is only 60.
Can totally see Charlotte owning the Princess Royal title!

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 28-Jun-19 08:59:52

Summary of Kate’s Wimbledon style ( the last couple of years aren’t there.)

I like William’s casual wear too.
Particularly like the layered white Temperly in 2011, just after their wedding. Also I love her in broderie anglaise; she really suits it.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 28-Jun-19 09:03:25

Details of Sussex Royal Tour in September

Archie and Meghan will be based in South Africa and Harry will visit the other countries; including Anglia where Diana did the land mines walk.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 28-Jun-19 09:06:43

Queen Mathilde without helmet hair

She looks so much better!

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 28-Jun-19 09:07:56

*That should be Angola.
I don’t think East Anglia has a problem with land mines. Autocorrect confused

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 28-Jun-19 09:09:38

Looks like HM is off to Scotland today

So is that her North of the Border till September?

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 28-Jun-19 09:10:52

Princess Eugenie taking no chances with sunburn!

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 28-Jun-19 09:12:22

Great colour on CP Mary

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 28-Jun-19 09:39:21

Kate is so tanned in the 2011 Wimbledon pic!

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 28-Jun-19 09:41:09

I love a broderie anglaise dress and have been looking for one for this summer with no luck. I got a really nice one in the US about 10 years ago but lost weight post-DC and it's now too big.

IWishIWere Fri 28-Jun-19 09:44:06

That Ingrid Seward thing in the Mail comes from a bit she did with one of the US tabloids where she claimed HM's favourite grandchild was Zara because her and Mike were more fun and made her laugh.

If Wimbledon get Meghan to present a trophy I can see there being an actual feud between her and Kate!

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 28-Jun-19 09:46:18

The AELTC would probably love it if Kate could present the trophies but after his years of service they can't exactly tell the DoK to sod off!

Paradyning Fri 28-Jun-19 09:47:08

Love love love broderie anglaise! I did consider buying that Zimmerman dress but alas my fat arse will not fit.

CPM really suits that fushia colour.

Now to lower the tone. There's a CDaN blind that seems to suggest a divorce for Rose 'Chumley'. Not that I believe all that I read! But that wouldn't be surprising given all else.

Spudlet Fri 28-Jun-19 09:54:54

Could your dress be altered, Queen? I’ve had a couple of things tweaked over the years and always been really pleased with the results.

Spudlet Fri 28-Jun-19 10:26:32

Apropos of nothing - I just saw that Kate is the patron of Action for Children. They’re a great charity, one of their portage workers came to see DS for ages and helped him hugely - thanks to them he’d done lots of the preparation for speech therapy by the time that started and he learned lots of new signs too. And he adored her, her visits were one of the highlights of his week. What a great charity for Kate, really fits with her interests.

BlingLoving Fri 28-Jun-19 11:22:12

I've been trying to find a good broderie anglaise blouse. But the ones I can afford have all been either too short (what's with the bare midriff thing?) or have been sleeveless/vest style. I'm definitely more of a sleeve woman, not least because I do have to wear fairly industrial strength bras! grin

I was under the impression, like Curly, that those dukedoms given on marriage aren't automatically transferrable down the line. Hence why DoE has been reserved for Edward in time. It reverts to the Crown and the Queen has made it clear (not sure if that's formal or not) that it will then go to Edward. If it WAS down the line, surely they'd have done letters patent so that Beatrice would get York on Andrew's death?

Which always also makes me wonder if once William becomes Prince of Wales, the kids all become Prince/ss xx of Wales and have to change how they're referred to at school etc?

QueenOfTheAndals Fri 28-Jun-19 11:28:59

I would've thought the Dukedoms conferred upon marriage are automatically transferable if the holder of said dukedom dies, but perhaps not if he just gets another title. So if William becomes PoW then George won't automatically become DoS but if Harry dies (god forbid!) then Archie will immediately become DoS. That's how it worked with the current dukes of Kent and Gloucester isn't it? And their eldest sons will inherit their titles in due course.

I don't know how it would work with the DoE since Charles is the eldest son but his current title outranks a dukedom. And if Beatrice had been Bertram then I'm pretty sure she'd have automatically become DoY upon her father's death.

If anyone on this thread can enlighten us then I'm guessing it's @SenecaFalls!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »