Talk

Advanced search

Royal style & gossip: What a smashing, positively dashing spectacle - the Ascot opening day

(996 Posts)
QueenOfTheAndals Wed 19-Jun-19 11:46:36

Obviously today's the second day of Ascot but given Kate's outfit yesterday, I felt a My Fair lady tribute was fitting!

Link to previous thread

Link to ALL other RS&G threads for anyone who wants a big catch up.

Myimaginarycathasfleas Wed 19-Jun-19 19:02:35

* Why did Sophie never end up as popular as Diana in the celebrity stakes? She's as beautiful, high profile, etc.*

There was a huge amount of interest in who Charles married. But also Diana did have star quality. Sophie, with the best will in the world, didn't.

She looked a lot like Diana but in a diluted way. She didn't have Diana's way with the media. We thought (mistakenly) that Diana was shy, but in fact she was artfully coy. She had a twinkle in her eye that was very winning.

Sophie has turned out to be a rock solid royal, but she didn't have the same appeal as Diana. And probably no bad thing.

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 19-Jun-19 19:09:46

Agree with @Myimaginarycathasfleas but also by the time Sophie married Edward we'd already seen three of the Queen's children marry and divorce so there just wasn't much public interest.

DobbyTheHouseElk Wed 19-Jun-19 19:21:56

Caught up again, lost track of the last thread.

I liked Catherine’s blue dress. The skirt was very princessey. Love it.

QueenOfTheAndals Wed 19-Jun-19 19:23:49

I think Edward's always been seen as the least of HM's children. He wasn't the first to get married like Anne, he wasn't the future king like Charles and he wasn't a dashing naval hero like Andrew. He has the air of a suburban bank manager or middle class vicar. But he puts in the hours these days and gets very little publicity - if you look at the court circular he's got engagements almost every day!

DobbyTheHouseElk Wed 19-Jun-19 19:41:08

I think
Edward and Sophie are very hard working and being a bit dull they get left alone, thus perpetuating the “dull” tag. I think they are very clever. They get to have a private life.

TyraAllen Wed 19-Jun-19 19:45:23

Yes, Edward does loads, maybe he needs to do more joint engagements with Sophie so he gets a bit more notice?

Myimaginarycathasfleas Wed 19-Jun-19 19:48:19

Without meaning to be unkind, Edward has always seemed like the embodiment of middle class, middle England, middle age. They have turned out to be a very safe pair of hands and I think the Queen recognises and appreciates this.

Myimaginarycathasfleas Wed 19-Jun-19 19:49:51

And thank you Queen for the new thread. Pardon my manners!

Notmyrealname855 Wed 19-Jun-19 20:23:12

Placemarking! grin

CurlyWurlyTwirly Wed 19-Jun-19 20:25:27

Ascot was a bit uninspiring today.
Check out Anne’s sensible coat; and who she’s with.
Camilla has an impressive collection of chokers

DobbyTheHouseElk Wed 19-Jun-19 20:31:03

That’s a very practical coat.

beanaseireann Wed 19-Jun-19 20:34:22

Well he is a widower now isn't he ?

shedid Wed 19-Jun-19 20:47:29

Who is he?

CadburysTastesVileNow Wed 19-Jun-19 20:48:41

ooh - grace had to wait at the altar while Rainier walked down the aisle. Is that protocol? I'll have to check out Albert's wedding to see

CadburysTastesVileNow Wed 19-Jun-19 20:52:09

Nope. Hell of a long walk for Charlene in tall heels though.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E7XmKcoej4

CurlyWurlyTwirly Wed 19-Jun-19 21:04:06

Well he is a widower now isn't he ?

Yes but Anne is still married

( it’s Andrew Parker Bowles; Camilla’s first husband)

UrsulaPandress Wed 19-Jun-19 21:06:15

Oh bless Ann. She’s grabbed something from the coat hooks by the back door. I have similar

PinkSun9 Wed 19-Jun-19 21:06:49

@ Shedid

He is Camilla's ex husband Andrew, who at one point had an affair with Princess Anne. Rumours have it that Commander Tim and PA are living a separate life and Andrew Parker Boyles are back together.

PinkSun9 Wed 19-Jun-19 21:09:26

ETA, ..... that supposedly Andrew and Anne are together again.

RomaineCalm Wed 19-Jun-19 21:09:47

That coat worn over an Ascot 'frock' is exactly why I love PA.

MummyToEthan Wed 19-Jun-19 21:17:44

Thanks Queen winebrewgincake

GlamGiraffe Wed 19-Jun-19 21:21:24

@Gooseysgirl @Disfordarkchocolate Ypure both so right about the hat. I hasn't even thought if Poundland. I was thinking something far more upmarket. Perhaps Claire's accessories?
It's a bit like a child's Easter bonnet project on further reflection.

Considering the current climatic situation I am wondering if I should be purchasing a practical PA coat. She may be on to a good thing.😉😂

AdaColeman Wed 19-Jun-19 21:26:59

I love the Pathe film of Grace Kelly and Prince Rainer, thanks for posting that Queen!
I've got two of the wine glasses used at their wedding banquet, a little bit of history! wine wine

AdaColeman Wed 19-Jun-19 21:30:41

Her Maj looks as though she grabbed her hat off a passing Morris Man dancer! grin

Spudlet Wed 19-Jun-19 21:40:19

Anne: 'Pretty dress, or warm, dry and comfortable? No contest!'

Go Anne grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »