Talk

Advanced search

Royal style & gossip: What a smashing, positively dashing spectacle - the Ascot opening day

(996 Posts)
QueenOfTheAndals Wed 19-Jun-19 11:46:36

Obviously today's the second day of Ascot but given Kate's outfit yesterday, I felt a My Fair lady tribute was fitting!

Link to previous thread

Link to ALL other RS&G threads for anyone who wants a big catch up.

QueenOfTheAndals Wed 26-Jun-19 10:34:48

I don't think @BertrandRussell was having a dig at anyone, just pointing out the inevitable headlines in the tabloids.

Good point @BlingLoving, when I was on maternity leave I wasn't at work but it didn't mean that I stayed in the house all the time - I went out and saw friends and did stuff, sometimes even without baby, shock horror!

Kate Wimbledon style retrospective, although her 2019 looks aren't there. I was lukewarm on the tennis ball dress from last year, but really liked the yellow D&G. Thought Meghan looked great in her stripey shirt too. And Kate gives great sportsface.

BertrandRussell Wed 26-Jun-19 10:38:10

Do you ever have anything positive to say on the threads you grace with your presence? Or is it me you particularly single out for your constantly negative comments? These threads used to be so nice until you appeared on them.”

Blimey- that came out of left field! Not sure what you mean, to be honest- I was only commenting that whatever MM does she’ll be criticised for it. I don’t think i’ve been particularly negative. And I certainly haven’t addressed you personally- i’m sorry if you think I have.

IWishIWere Wed 26-Jun-19 10:42:07

Richard Palmer is a bit of a muppet, Bling seeing as the dress was identified on Twitter!

(I was TyraAllen yesterday!)

Spudlet Wed 26-Jun-19 10:43:04

What? How? How will not knowing about her clothes 'end badly'? What, will we have a dress shortage? Anarchy in the changing rooms? The end of days? Dogs and cats getting along?

I thought Bertrand was making a joke too, and a salient point which is that Meghan gets criticised for whatever she does. So does Kate, but things have eased off her these days. But she's been called workshy for not doing enough, despite having three young children. And remember all thise 'concerned' articles about her weight around her wedding. But Meghan is firmly in the firing line at the moment and she will undoubtedly get a kicking no matter what she does.

Smokeonthewater Wed 26-Jun-19 10:46:06

I too thought Bertrand’s cocmmenta were funny. I enjoy her contributions and don’t find them offensive.

Smokeonthewater Wed 26-Jun-19 10:46:19

Comments

itswinetime Wed 26-Jun-19 10:48:57

Imagine the history teachers in the future what caused the British revolution....... well sir it all began with a dress grin

Not sure what Meghan will do about Wimbledon because as much as she will be criticised for going she will be for not Meghan abandons friends to avoid Kate it done such drama filled nonsense.

QueenOfTheAndals Wed 26-Jun-19 11:03:29

I'd like to see a joint appearance by the duchesses where they chat convivially, mainly because it'll put the Mail's nose firmly out of joint! Actually it looks like they've realised they can't push the Kate/Meghan feud story any further, hence going with William vs Harry now.

myrtleWilson Wed 26-Jun-19 11:04:09

I too thought Bertrand was predicting the (social) media onslaught that would inevitably follow the DoS non/attendance at Wimbledon and thought your comment was unnecessarily personal curly

I do like that yellow dress and I thought the "Evelyn" colours were really good on Kate.

beanaseireann Wed 26-Jun-19 11:51:13

CurlyWurlyTwirly AND Bertrand Russell I love reading your interesting posts on these threads. Please stay, both of you.
I thought Bertrand was saying that Meghan will be damned if she does and damned if she doesn't ( go to Wimbledon).

noodlenosefraggle Wed 26-Jun-19 13:18:53

Hmm what counts as maternity leave and what counts as 'watching Tennis' when you job is basically doing a lot of stuff other people pay to do in their leisure time? grin

CurlyWurlyTwirly Wed 26-Jun-19 14:25:53

Ok, I’m sorry @BertrandRussell

I will blame the 40 degree heat we are currently “enjoying” on the continent.

QueenOfTheAndals Wed 26-Jun-19 14:42:09

Wow, I hope you've got aircon or at least a decent fan @CurlyWurlyTwirly! It's going to be over 30 in London this weekend so I think I may decamp to the seaside where it's a bit cooler. I love hot weather but London in anything about 25 or 26 is unbearable!

QueenOfTheAndals Wed 26-Jun-19 14:42:28

above 25 or 26

Myimaginarycathasfleas Wed 26-Jun-19 15:22:12

I enjoy the diversity of opinion on these threads but I don't like the snippiness that some posters feel entitled to dish out. Someone had a right sarky pop at me a couple of threads back. Quite uncalled for and a little bit silly.

Maybe we all need to remember we're supposed to be friends here, makes it much more fun to exchange our differing views!

beanaseireann Wed 26-Jun-19 15:38:49

Curly's sorry brought a little tear to my eye.

Almost time for a new thread.
Wimbledon- Serves, Strawberries and Sartorial Splendour.

itswinetime Wed 26-Jun-19 15:57:22

Sophie and Anne pit and about today! It's a big miss from Sophie for me the jacket the shoes it's just a no. Anne Suits red

QueenOfTheAndals Wed 26-Jun-19 16:03:26

I quite like Anne's red dress and she's so trim - look her waistline!

QueenOfTheAndals Wed 26-Jun-19 16:03:53

Great title @beanaseireann - think I'll steal it!

frugalkitty Wed 26-Jun-19 16:05:58

I'm really liking Leti's dress today!

beanaseireann Wed 26-Jun-19 16:11:36

Ah No QueenoftheAndals. blush

Myimaginarycathasfleas Wed 26-Jun-19 16:14:37

Lovely dress, very unusual colour. I think she picked the only option accessory-wise!

Some papers are speculating that Archie might be christened on Independence Day as a nod to his American side. Does that seem likely? They did say early July!

JaimeBronde Wed 26-Jun-19 16:15:51

The whole of the RF should go to Wimbledon on the same day & have a bit of a party in the Royal Box.
That'll make the tabloids self implode with confusion & cross feelings.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Wed 26-Jun-19 16:29:51

Aircon <bitter laugh>
I find the chiller section of the supermarket most refreshing.

@beanaseireann you softy you!
I agree great thread title.

I like the idea of a royal “ girl’s day out at Wimbledon “

Does hm ever go? I think she last presented the trophy to Virginia Wade in 1977.
Apart from Kate & Meghan and occasionally William, I’m not sure which other Royals attend(apart from the Kents)

CurlyWurlyTwirly Wed 26-Jun-19 16:32:10

I like Sophie’s skirt, but the jacket looks a bit formal.
Also, the espadrilles look to casual. ( what is it, beach day with the Royal Ladies?)

CurlyWurlyTwirly Wed 26-Jun-19 16:34:36

Charlene at a Christening in Greece
I guess she just picked something wafty and cool.

itswinetime Wed 26-Jun-19 16:36:17

When does HM decamp to balmoral? Is she still around for Wimbledon?

I think lots of royals dip in and out with Wimbledon I'm sure the York girls go maybe Camilla to? But I agree I don't really remember the queen attending much.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Wed 26-Jun-19 16:36:53

Max in a summer frock

How many sombreros does she have?

CurlyWurlyTwirly Wed 26-Jun-19 16:41:09

HM is definitely away for all of August. Not sure when she leaves in July.
I think the wessexes go to Balmoral a lot.
I wonder whether Prince Phillip will go? I do wonder what he does all day. I guess if you’re almost 100 years old, the odd bit of carriage driving is enough. I always thought of him as so active. And the Queen is “only” 5 years younger. Frankly though; I don’t know how she finds the energy....

QueenOfTheAndals Wed 26-Jun-19 16:52:22

I don't think HM is much of a tennis fan. For years the Duchess of Kent was the royal face of Wimbledon but now it's just the Duke. When he pops clogs I imagine it'll be Kate presenting the trophies.

Gooseysgirl Wed 26-Jun-19 17:01:12

Feckin hell that's a shocker from Sophie 😱

Nanna50 Wed 26-Jun-19 17:09:09

I remember my mother being so disappointed that HM presented the Wimbledon trophy to Virginia Wade in 1977. She thought the Duchess of Kent would have been thrilled to present a British winner and HM was only there because it was her jubilee year not because she was a tennis fan.

BertrandRussell Wed 26-Jun-19 17:15:23

“I will blame the 40 degree heat we are currently “enjoying” on the continent.”
Wow. hmm.

beanaseireann Wed 26-Jun-19 17:57:35

GooseysGirl
It certainly is a shocker. I hate those espadrilles with ties up the legs. They're not flattering on anyone. Kate and Pippa seem to like them too.

mathanxiety Wed 26-Jun-19 18:07:30

Holy crap!

Just saw that post about Thomas van Straubenzee/Strawberry/Whatever's engagement to Miss Lucy Lanigan-O'Keeffe.

I am a distant relative of hers shock
Unless there is more than one Lanigan-O'Keeffe family knocking around Ireland..

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 26-Jun-19 18:26:17

Sophie looks like she ran through a jumble sale.

AdaColeman Wed 26-Jun-19 18:34:29

Oh Sophie, not more espadrilles!

The Royal Wives Bulk Buying Group must have got a job lot!

LenoVentura Wed 26-Jun-19 18:36:55

Oh Sophie. Princess Frumpy of Frumpsville. Looks like Edward chose her outfit.

QueenOfTheAndals Wed 26-Jun-19 18:42:32

Poor Sophie, she looks like the vicar's wife at the village fair.

Spudlet Wed 26-Jun-19 18:47:06

It’s like she starts super formal at the top and gets progressively more casual as you work your way down the outfit...!

JaimeBronde Wed 26-Jun-19 18:53:36

Be nice if you get an invite Math or at least a piece of wedding cake.
You could go on AIBU & be ripped to shreds asking if 'AIBU that my 4th cousin 3 times removed hasn't invited me to her wedding'
That's if you're feeling in a wind up/naughty mode grin

MotherofPearl Wed 26-Jun-19 18:55:34

Poor Sophie indeed. She looks like she's wearing a skirt made from the Sanderson linen upholstery fabric covering my Granny's sitting room furniture c1982.

I've found myself becoming obsessed with the length of Leti's skirts and dresses. I really like the style of the one posted by @frugalkitty, but I do think it's an inch or two too long. Or short. Something is not right with the length anyway.

beanaseireann Wed 26-Jun-19 18:58:12

mathanxiety
I'd say there's only one Lanigan O' Keefe family - her brother is an Olympic athlete.
6 degrees of separation - you know what Ireland's like !!!
You'll be at Charlotte's birthday parties next - your possible relative to be is her godfather I think smile
She's a gorgeous looking girl - do the good looks run in the family ?

Her fiancé was only a wet week short time married to Melissa Percy - what happened there ???hmm

itswinetime Wed 26-Jun-19 18:58:37

AnneEyhtMeyer grin. That is the perfect description of Sophie's outfit

JaimeBronde Wed 26-Jun-19 19:12:50

bean according to Wiki they divorced 'in March 2016 on the grounds of van Straubenzee's "unreasonable behaviour".'

Gossip sites say they argued a lot, or he played away or she played away from home. Maybe they're just incompatible.

Paradyning Wed 26-Jun-19 19:32:32

I see Zara and Autumn's stylist's Instagram page made it to a DM story.....

shedid Wed 26-Jun-19 19:48:59

@Paradyning do they actually do any of their own research? 🙄

QueenOfTheAndals Wed 26-Jun-19 19:59:01

It's just lazy journalism. Not that the Mail are the only ones. So many outlets now write an article titled "what viewers/people thought of XYZ" and all it is is a selection of embedded tweets!

Mrsmadevans Wed 26-Jun-19 19:59:06

Mini-Max is a beautiful young lady, the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Thank you for the picture Queen smile
Fergie was cuddled up to the parents on that small sofa and she didn't care a jot, they were very at ease with her and it made me think she had spent a lot of time with them helping and supporting and comforting them. If l were in their shoes l would love someone like her to give me a helping hand l can imagine she would be so spirit lifting. She is a flibbertygibbert but a very kind well meaning one . I thought she looked good in green it's definitely her colour. Her hair was lovely it always is , she has lines but she looks good l reckon smile she seems a good egg and l like her smile

frugalkitty Wed 26-Jun-19 20:03:50

I have to say that the Percy tiara is one of my favourites

AskMeHow Wed 26-Jun-19 20:05:39

Loved seeing Eugenie's Ascot outfits on that link. Whoever said she either looks fantastic or a fright was spot on.

That red pencil dress - the middle one - total knockout. Wow. The ones which emphasise that she has a waist are great, otherwise frump city.

Paradyning Wed 26-Jun-19 20:06:06

It's a huge tiara!
I always thought she wore it too low.
There's some rule that you should wear a tiara the same distance from the bridge of your nose as is from the bridge of your nose to your chin.

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 26-Jun-19 20:15:04

Wow that Percy tiara is more like a crown! I'd wear that every day if it were mine.

Laiste Wed 26-Jun-19 20:26:50

''AnneEyhtMeyer - Wow that Percy tiara is more like a crown!''

You took the words right out of my mouth then!

When does a tiara become a crown? I guess it's not about size, but still ... and yes, low on the forehead emphasises it's crowniness.

Disfordarkchocolate Wed 26-Jun-19 20:28:19

I don't like the Percy tiara, it's just too big, or she has a tiny head.

JaimeBronde Wed 26-Jun-19 20:32:58

The Foliate Tiara (the one Missy Percy is wearing in her wedding photo) has been in the Duke of Northumberland's family since 1845. A wedding gift from the 6th Duke to his bride.
More info on the Northumberland family tiara's here
www.google.co.uk/amp/royalwatcherblog.com/2018/05/11/duchess-of-northumberlands-tiaras/amp/

pastaparadise Wed 26-Jun-19 20:34:06

I imagine a crown goes right round in a solid band and is only worn by a monarch? Happy to be corrected...

And Max's daughter is stunning - a lovely pic

Mrsmadevans Wed 26-Jun-19 20:38:05

Thank you Frugal and Jaime , the tiaras are lovely , so pretty , my fave is the Percy one it is exquisite smile

Paradyning Wed 26-Jun-19 20:53:19

Live the gifs in that link @JaimeBronde thank you!

Paradyning Wed 26-Jun-19 20:53:41

*love

Myimaginarycathasfleas Wed 26-Jun-19 20:58:46

God, I so want a tiara now. It wouldn't be wasted on me either, I'd wear it everywhere. Possibly at a rakish angle if I felt mischievous.

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 26-Jun-19 21:02:43

I wish tiara wearing was acceptable in daily life.

Myimaginarycathasfleas Wed 26-Jun-19 21:05:44

Acceptable? Should be bloomin' compulsory!😁

Laiste Wed 26-Jun-19 21:23:42

My youngest DD (5) got a tiara for xmas. A 'toy' one - and it sounds ridiculous but it was gorgeous! Silver metal band and genuinely sparkly glass stones in a delicate, quite tall filigree rise at the front. I eyed it as soon as she unwrapped it and thought of us on this thread grin I tried it on later and it was SO pretty.

Around March time i accidentally sat on it and broke it. It hurt, (it was sharp!) but more than that i was genuinely gutted! gringrinhmm

DevonUkelele Wed 26-Jun-19 21:24:23

Looks like Edward chose her outfit.

@LenoVentura ... gringrin it does too!

Notmyrealname855 Wed 26-Jun-19 21:25:45

That’s a bloody crown! It must be so heavy... I wouldn’t mind grin

Is it bad that I love Sophie’s outfit? She’s like a beautiful...teacher? It’s sort of English eclectic a bit like beloved Max is “eclectic” smile Max’s daughter is so sweet looking too, will be interesting to see the style she adopts in future years as it seems a tricky transition (Béatrice and Eugenie didn’t really have a precedent did they?)

Mrsmadevans Wed 26-Jun-19 21:27:30

Laiste we should enter a beauty contest for the tiaras alone l would not win that and it is ever so slightly non PC now grin

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 26-Jun-19 21:27:37

Compulsory is the way to go, you're right.

I have one I bought in Debenhams for £50 for my wedding and it is gorgeous. I do sometimes wear it around the house. I wish it were real diamonds though.

AudacityOfHope Wed 26-Jun-19 21:42:52

I think the same @Notmyrealname855 it's nice to see someone look a bit less as if an army of hairdressers and make-up artists are behind their every journey outside the front door.

Daisypie Wed 26-Jun-19 21:44:45

I think Melissa Percy is a mechanic or something quite refreshing for a Duke's daughter.

SenecaFalls Wed 26-Jun-19 22:20:30

Did anyone see the final episode of the Big Bang Theory? Amy wears a tiara for her Noble Prize ceremony. It's somewhat relevant to this thread because some of the Swedish RF women are portrayed in the episode, although from a distance.

itswinetime Wed 26-Jun-19 22:26:28

I saw that and thought Amy would be great for these threads any excuse to wear a tiara 👸🏻 grin

MotherofPearl Wed 26-Jun-19 22:59:36

I think Sophie is a really hard-working royal and looks kind and caring too.

So it pains me to make more critical remarks about her outfit today, but why is she wearing her hair in a plastic hair grip? This is the kind of thing you might wear on the school run, but not to an actual function. It looks... unfinished.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Wed 26-Jun-19 23:26:34

I do wonder if Sophie and Edward are a bit short of cash. ( I know it’s all relative) but their only source of income must be from the Queen.

What happens when HM pops off? They will have to be funded by Charles.
Also Anne; maybe there is a genuine reason that she wears her vintage wardrobe: more than just an “anti-fashion” statement.

The York’s however seem to have no money worries. I guess Andrew has many rich friends.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Wed 26-Jun-19 23:29:03

Melissa Percy has a sideline in designing country clothing

CurlyWurlyTwirly Wed 26-Jun-19 23:36:23

Lady Kitty Spencer and Cressida Bonas at the Serpentine Summer Party,

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 27-Jun-19 06:18:59

Harry and Meghan trip to South Africa in the autumn confirmed

Dm link

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 27-Jun-19 06:22:46

Great statement by Prince William re his children being LGBTQ

Dm link

He of course acknowledges the complications given their position, but I would expect nothing less than this stance from him: given Diana’s very open attitude and the way he was raised.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 27-Jun-19 06:30:26

Mathilde and daughter Elisabeth are in Kenya.
I just could not resist posting this adorable baby in the peach snood! 💕

AngelaScandal Thu 27-Jun-19 07:11:40

Just saw that post about Thomas van Straubenzee/Strawberry/Whatever's engagement to Miss Lucy Lanigan-O'Keeffe.I am a distant relative of hers shock. Unless there is more than one Lanigan-O'Keeffe family knocking around Ireland..

Math! Our very own royal adjacent on the threads...I wondered if she was related to the modern pentathlon guy
As a teacher I have to say I find this fascinating... where did Miss Lanigan-O’Keefe meet Mr Strawberry?? How odd would it be for the small royals to be attending at their HT’s wedding ?? Like one day she’s teaching you your sums and the next you’ve donned some frilly pantaloon number and you’re being forced to wave with a skeptical expression...

MotherofPearl Thu 27-Jun-19 07:38:00

Oh Curly, that's a smooshable potato alright! grin

megletthesecond Thu 27-Jun-19 07:45:47

I do not like that flowery floaty dress of Kate's. It looks like something you'd see in Debenhams shock.

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 27-Jun-19 07:55:23

I preferred the darker version as she looks good in strong colours, but it's a departure for her and makes a welcome change from the endless identikit coat dresses!

mathanxiety Thu 27-Jun-19 08:00:25

@TracyBeakerSoYeah - I've been doing as much batch cooking as I can before summer heat makes cooking completely miserable.

MotherofPearl Thu 27-Jun-19 08:00:29

At least it doesn't look like it's from Per Una eh meglet? That's the ultimate insult on here!

Myimaginarycathasfleas Thu 27-Jun-19 08:19:26

We are seeing a lot more of William on official business these days. As in, not just the odd photo but articles detailing his comments and videos of him speaking. I think there's definitely some PR around that and it's a good move to quash the other stuff.

He's going to be a very different kind of monarch, much more engaged. Good to see him giving focus to marginalised members of society.

Smokeonthewater Thu 27-Jun-19 08:30:15

I wonder increasingly whether William and Charles have come to sort of agreement. After all, Charles may be 80 when the Queen pops her clogs, as her mother lived to over 100. It just isn't a sensible option for Charles to take over at that age. He'll be doddering around whilst all the younger Royals do everything. It makes far more sense to hand over directly to William. I am guessing William is well aware that he may be King sooner than he thinks and is behaving differently as a result. There is a very obvious switch in gear I think.

pinkladyapples Thu 27-Jun-19 08:35:57

Mathilde in a nice peachy pink dress

BlingLoving Thu 27-Jun-19 08:37:13

I don't 4think Charles will hard straight over to William. It feels more like he is preparing to be the kind of prince of Wales Charles has been - engaged, outspoken and with his own agenda points.

I think Kate wearing something different was great this week.

megletthesecond Thu 27-Jun-19 09:10:44

mother I nearly said Per In a but decided it wasn't embellished enough for that grin.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 27-Jun-19 09:12:38

I think Charles will be a good King.
Short reign no doubt; but he will have an impact like Edward VII

William is definitely preparing for role of Prince of Wales.

I think HM wants to make sure all her heirs are well prepared.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Thu 27-Jun-19 09:15:26

Interesting discussion on the thread about William openly supporting any of his children choosing to come out. LGBTQ

Laiste Thu 27-Jun-19 09:25:47

I liked the floaty dress. I love that look. I wish i could wear things like that but i'm too hour glass.

QueenOfTheAndals Thu 27-Jun-19 10:28:00

New thread!

beanaseireann Thu 27-Jun-19 15:22:46

Thanks QueenoftheAndals

escapade1234 Thu 27-Jun-19 18:51:20

Long floaty floral dresses were very much the look at my DC’s day today. The women wearing them looked fabulous!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »