Talk

Advanced search

DD's graduation - yes or no?

(174 Posts)
Lobsterquadrille2 Wed 12-Jun-19 08:57:42

I'm weirdly worried about it. No one else to ask. Is this ok?

SD1978 Wed 12-Jun-19 09:01:23

Think you've posted in the wrong section? But dress lols very nice.

TheWoollybacksWife Wed 12-Jun-19 09:04:12

That looks lovely. If the weather doesn't improve soon you'll need a Mac and wellies a cardigan or a jacket too.

Bluntness100 Wed 12-Jun-19 09:05:35

I think it's a bit bare if I'm honest for a graduation.

For my daughters I wore a sleeveless round neck top and trousers. Most parents were the same, men in suits or shirts and trousers, women in nice tops and either skirts or trousers, or a dress but one more covered up up top.

So it's lovely but no I don't think it's suitable.

Lobsterquadrille2 Wed 12-Jun-19 09:05:39

Thank you. I moved it. No idea why I posted here!! Abs yes, York is even worse than down south ☔️☔️

Lobsterquadrille2 Wed 12-Jun-19 09:07:11

@Bluntness100 good point. I haven't done it before, won't do it again and comments appreciated.

morningafternoonevening Wed 12-Jun-19 09:07:59

You look beautiful- your figure is great, the dress fits you well and has a lovely pattern, and is certainly suitable for a graduation.

Lobsterquadrille2 Wed 12-Jun-19 09:10:52

@morningafternoonevening how very kind. Thank you.

cranstonmanor Wed 12-Jun-19 09:13:42

You have a really nice figure. I like the dress, but I would pair it with a jacket to cover your arms a little so it looks less bare on top.

babysharkah Wed 12-Jun-19 09:16:58

Lovely but I would add a little jacket

AnyaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 12-Jun-19 09:23:28

Hi all,

We're going to move this to Style and Beauty at OP's request.

newmomof1 Wed 12-Jun-19 09:28:48

I think you look fab!
also don't think the top is too bare - it's got a high neck so your chest is covered meaning arms out is fine.

If you'd feel more comfortable with a jacket then go for it, but I don't think it's compulsory smile

stucknoue Wed 12-Jun-19 10:00:31

You'll need a jacket or cardi unless the weather improves! Lovely dress. You can wear what you want to graduation - they are wearing from full on royal wedding guest to jeans and a top!

palahvah Wed 12-Jun-19 10:03:08

Totally suitable! Not too bare, but agree you'll want a jacket or perhaps very smart new fine-knit cardigan for warmth.
(Generally I think cardigans are a terrible shame)

justanswerthephone Wed 12-Jun-19 10:04:14

I think it's a bit bare if I'm honest for a graduation.

How odd.

People wear summer dresses to graduations all the time.

It's lovely OP

IAmAlwaysLikeThis Wed 12-Jun-19 10:08:19

No need to cover up, being old enough to have a daughter who is graduating doesn't mean we have to cover every inch of our bodies.

You look great OP and the dress is lovely.

tierraJ Wed 12-Jun-19 11:06:54

Nice dress, looks really pretty

SrSteveOskowski Wed 12-Jun-19 11:13:50

I think it looks lovely OP. You have a great figure smile

ChangesAt30 Wed 12-Jun-19 11:15:32

Looks great and perfectly suitable for a graduation smile

As others have said, you may need a jacket/cardigan depending on the weather but looks lovely without.

PrimeraVez Wed 12-Jun-19 11:19:53

Lovely dress and looks great on you but agree with those who have said they would add some kind of jacket. I'm no prude, but it just seems slightly 'bare' (for want of a better word) for a graduation.

IcelandicYoghurt Wed 12-Jun-19 11:24:23

You have a great figure and the dress shows it off!

Having said that, I don't think it's suitable for a graduation - I'd go for something a bit more sober and cover your shoulders.

78percentLindt Wed 12-Jun-19 11:28:10

The only comments I would make is that you might want a jacket or cardigan. I have been to 2 for the kids as well as my own.
One was in a very cool air conditioned hall last year ( and needed the jacket) and the other was much less air conditioned. The other comment is that for both DC's graduations there was a lot of grass outside, and we wondered around the campuses as well for photos etc, and your highish heels might not be the best. ( My graduation was Royal Albert Hall so the heels didn't matter!)

justanswerthephone Wed 12-Jun-19 11:32:48

'More sober'

'A bit bare'

WTF confused

It's a perfectly normal dress.

It's the OPs arms that are on show not her vagina ffs

78percentLindt Wed 12-Jun-19 11:33:20

Forgot to say, don't worry too much. As someone else mentioned- I have seen everything from very formal ( ball gown/DJ ) to jeans and sweatshirt from parents and new graduates.
Enjoy DD's day. ( What does she think- DC often have a view about how their parents should look when meeting their friends IME)

lonelysleep Wed 12-Jun-19 11:43:33

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »