Talk

Advanced search

Pieces that trick people into thinking you're rich

(318 Posts)
PaintingOwls Thu 16-May-19 19:12:18

Sorry about the wanky title, I don't quite know how to put this!

I have a friend who always looks very expensive and put together but whenever I ask where her clothes are from she will say Zara, Primark, etc. She says she gives off the vibe that her clothes are expensive because she has a few statement pieces that set the tone, so Ted Baker coat, Longchamp bag, Kate Spade purse. People see those and assume everything else is of the same caliber.

The only expensive thing I own is a Hobbs trench coat which I only bought because it was the perfect shade of beige. I have a black Harrods bag that I bought on sale to have a smart interview bag. I've been trying to use it more but it is a bit incongruous with the rest of what I wear.

I have noticed that when I wear the Hobbs coat people are more polite towards me, hold doors open, smile, move out of the way for me, men help me with luggage on trains... When I wear my denim or leather Primark jacket I get ignored and people barge past me.

Has anyone noticed anything similar?

I realize this isn't an exact science grin but if I was to buy a thing or two to help set the tone, as my friend says, what would that be?

mummmy2017 Mon 20-May-19 09:39:22

Swap jeans for Cotton Chinos... Jeans always make you less posh....
Or if you just wear jeans got for a natural colour....
Oh and pearl necklace and earrings. Tiny ones....
Watching Elene on TV and no matter how expensive they are they look cheap.

Floisme Mon 20-May-19 09:43:30

Swap if you want but I'd say the same about chinos - if you're going to wear them a lot, find the best you can afford, that fit well and don't sag around the knees and arse after a few wears.

OhTheRoses Mon 20-May-19 11:44:13

Thing abput jeans is the fit. I may be ridiculed for this but I have tried on 20 pairs in a day from £70 to £250 and ended up going to Per Una because they fit. Reasonable denim, well made, straight legs.

OhTheRoses Mon 20-May-19 11:46:01

You are talking about grooming CherryP and I agree with you but it isn't what the op is asking.

teta Mon 20-May-19 12:39:31

I think the Chino rules apply to men, not to women. All the local prep school mums around here live in jeans in summer and winter. Plus a black puffer in cold weather. Nobody wears Pearls these days.
I think black, denim, and white jeans can look very expensive. Dependent on how well they fit,what they’re paired up with and whether they suit the wearers shape. Coloured jeans are trickier.

XingMing Mon 20-May-19 14:52:29

When buying jeans and trousers, you have to try them on to get the perfect fit. And keep them plain. When you have found a couple of makes that work for you, I find it's worth sticking to them. Classic Levi 501 are my default yardstick. Jeans have to be at least as good as Levis. There are others I like, but none come from the big chains.

Floisme Mon 20-May-19 19:41:41

Agree there's no point buying better if they don't fit but what I've found is that if the denim's thin then they don't fit well for long because the arse goes saggy.

Floisme Mon 20-May-19 19:42:47

Yeah I think Levi still use reasonably heavy duty denim though I've not looked recently.

happytobemrsg Mon 20-May-19 20:14:20

I’ve always struggled with jeans! Ive tried lots of different high street brands (not high end unfortunately) & the ones which lasted the longest we’re actually from H&M!

Floisme Mon 20-May-19 20:20:52

See I'm still a H&M fan but their jeans were shocking on me. After a couple of months the arse was down to my knees. I might have been unlucky and bought from a bad batch but I wasn't inclined to try again. On the other hand I found their cotton chinos were pretty decent.

Which just proves how tricky all this is and how unreliable even personal recommendations are.

Openupyourmind Mon 20-May-19 21:29:09

I spent ages in Selfridges trying on expensive denim and ended up buying a pair down the road in Primark! 😂
I have a pair of jeans from Toast, really thick denim and they still bag at the knees - I'm not trying to look rich though so it probably doesn't matter so much.

GeorgeTheBleeder Mon 20-May-19 21:54:18

People tend to look quite well off in Toast. Well off and spectacularly scruffy. Married well so doesn’t have to worry about hourly rates academic, or retired into dog-walking chic - round my way, at least. grin

London1975 Thu 23-May-19 17:30:15

I think you’re confusing what it is to look ‘rich’ versus ‘classy’. The two are very different. You can look ‘rich’ but have zero class - in which case it’s a complete waste of money trying to look ‘rich’.

Classy, on the other hand, is all about your values, good manners, how you act towards everyone you meet, what you consider important in life, stealth wealth, strong sense of family, and a certain confidence to be true to yourself and not follow the herd mentality and faddish trends

Openupyourmind Thu 23-May-19 17:34:59

not follow the herd mentality and faddish trends

But you do eventually follow the faddish trends, you just wait until you are absolutely sure everyone else has first so no one can accuse you of following a fad and then you call them tradition and classy. 😂

shitpark Thu 23-May-19 17:54:59

I bout a pair of Paige Hoxton jeans today, incredibly flattering and fit perfectly. Definitely worth it imp

Doobigetta Thu 23-May-19 19:18:35

Don’t wear black. I work in a building with several floors given over to contact centres- so large numbers of young women with not a lot of money, but who clearly spend a lot of time and effort on their appearance. And one thing that is really striking about them is the amount of black they wear. Black platforms, quite often with open toes. Alternatively blingy black trainers. Black ripped skinny jeans. Black puffer jackets. It either looks over-dyed and synthetic or faded and shabby, but either way not expensive.

Alsohuman Thu 23-May-19 21:03:53

Oh bugger. I live in black.

LassOfFyvie Thu 23-May-19 23:51:31

There is black and there is black. The little black dress is timeless. You can't go far wrong with tailored , black crepe wool dress. Paddy Campbell does lovely black dresses.

www.madham.co.uk/designer?d=48

The mistake people make with black is thinking a black jacket and black skirt / trousers = a suit. They don't- unless the 2 pieces were designed as a suit. Black worn with a different black is awful.

I'd never heard of Paige Hoxton jeans- each to their own but I'm gobsmacked anyone would pay £200- £300 for jeans- aka the most boring and ubiquitous clothing on the planet.

www.the-dressingroom.com/shop-by-brand/paige-denim?p=view-all

Openupyourmind Fri 24-May-19 00:25:54

Black platforms, quite often with open toes. Alternatively blingy black trainers. Black ripped skinny jeans. Black puffer jackets. It either looks over-dyed and synthetic or faded and shabby, but either way not expensive. Did you really think the women you referred to as dressing like this thought they were dressing to look rich or expensive? Many of us have other things on our minds than trying to look rich - often I like to look cool - very deluded but I like fashion and I like pushing the boundaries, some days I’m in pain and comfort is my biggest priority, often I’m walking the dog and practicality dominates - I don’t think I have ever dressed with looking rich as an aim - it just isn’t my thing and those women with ripped jeans...you really think that was their thing? I
think it’s crap that people get treated better because they appear to be rich - we all deserve to be treated with respect rather than judgement

Doobigetta Fri 24-May-19 08:11:25

I suspect a fair proportion of them are aiming for a Kardashian-type look, and the Kardashians are mainly noted for having a fuckton of money that they spend on looking “hot”. That probably isn’t what the OP is aiming for, hence my post. I don’t suppose those young women care that they don’t look as though they belong in Hale or whatever the London equivalent is, and they’d probably laugh and turn their noses up if anyone suggested they stick to classic investment buys and discreet jewellery. I don’t know why you take this so personally, but I’d suggest that if strong opinions on subjective questions offend you, S&B may not be your cup of tea.

ZaraW Fri 24-May-19 08:48:14

If I worked in a call centre and I could get away with it I'd be super casual as well. Sweatpants would be ideal.

BiddyPop Fri 24-May-19 09:56:50

When I worked in a back office operation, most people wore trainers and tracksuits or other very casual gear. It was effectively minimum wage. I used to wear plain but neat tshirt type tops, and some plain blouses, over plain trousers from Primark (I had a pair in navy and 1 in black) as my "everyday uniform", and that really made me stand out to the managers as someone who cared and was interested and invested in working and progressing.

Even now (senior management), I still wear a lot of black although I am getting better at including colour that suits me. But through the winter, a well fitting pair of black trousers and well fitting black ribbed polo neck jumper with a nice scarf or necklace, works very well. If I need to meet people in a "suit", I throw a black jacket (to match trousers) or a coloured jacked (to pick up the scarf/necklace) over the top.

mummmy2017 Fri 24-May-19 13:24:47

You got me thinking...
I was out in a major city the other day, had gone down on a train.
I started looking at people, really looking, to see what they wore and how rich , posh they looked...
They all looked the same, old jeans, lots of black, not one person looked rich... How sad to see...

woodcutbirds Sat 25-May-19 09:57:30

LassofFyvie - that link is to clothes that are expensive. Ede and Ravenscroft is the definition of expensive workwear. Those black clothes just scream lawyer to me. If you pay the best part of £700 for a single pencil skirt and short jacket it should look expensive!

LassOfFyvie Sat 25-May-19 12:33:56

If you pay the best part of £700 for a single pencil skirt and short jacket it should look expensive!

Well yes, I agree and they do. I was contrasting it with the Paige Hoxton jeans site. Maybe there are people who can tell the difference between a £30 pair of jeans and a £300 pair but I'm definitely not one of them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »