Talk

Advanced search

Pieces that trick people into thinking you're rich

(318 Posts)
PaintingOwls Thu 16-May-19 19:12:18

Sorry about the wanky title, I don't quite know how to put this!

I have a friend who always looks very expensive and put together but whenever I ask where her clothes are from she will say Zara, Primark, etc. She says she gives off the vibe that her clothes are expensive because she has a few statement pieces that set the tone, so Ted Baker coat, Longchamp bag, Kate Spade purse. People see those and assume everything else is of the same caliber.

The only expensive thing I own is a Hobbs trench coat which I only bought because it was the perfect shade of beige. I have a black Harrods bag that I bought on sale to have a smart interview bag. I've been trying to use it more but it is a bit incongruous with the rest of what I wear.

I have noticed that when I wear the Hobbs coat people are more polite towards me, hold doors open, smile, move out of the way for me, men help me with luggage on trains... When I wear my denim or leather Primark jacket I get ignored and people barge past me.

Has anyone noticed anything similar?

I realize this isn't an exact science grin but if I was to buy a thing or two to help set the tone, as my friend says, what would that be?

Isthebigwomanhere Thu 16-May-19 19:14:56

I always look a mess but DH says for men , people only notice does,wallet and watch

fancynancyclancy Thu 16-May-19 19:15:58

I think good quality shoes.

Having said that someone people have the ability to make a £10 dress look £1000 & the reverse is also true.

fancynancyclancy Thu 16-May-19 19:16:25

some not someone

MoltonSilver Thu 16-May-19 19:26:00

Grooming and posture are the key.

magpie24 Thu 16-May-19 19:28:21

I think grooming is the key too. Well-cut hair, neat and tidy nails and simple but well-done make-up. A nice watch, decent leather shoes and a smart bag also help.

VanillaCoconutDove Thu 16-May-19 19:29:02

Yes, it’s more about how a person carries themself. Natural, good quality fabrics help. Being groomed (or deliberately ungroomed if you’d better fit the country Lord/Lady of the manor style) posture and walking as if you own the room.

Bluntness100 Thu 16-May-19 19:31:31

I don't think it's about the clothes. It's the way you carry yourself, your grooming, your general confidence and demeanour.

I think we have all met women from wealthy backgrounds who may be wearing a primark coat or unidentifiable jeans, but still they look like they come from money. Because of the way they carry themselves, their grooming, the whole thing.

I'm sorry I don't think a handbag or a pair of shoes is what it's about. It's more than that.

RuffleCrow Thu 16-May-19 19:32:55

My diamond tiara wink

troppibambini Thu 16-May-19 19:32:57

For my birthday or Christmas I ask for one thing or money to put towards one beautiful thing.

I'm also fortunate that I used to work as personal shopper in a very high end independent shop (similar stock to Harvey nicks and Selfridges) so I used to get a certain amount of free designer clothes and also a decent staff discount. I bought classic and still have a lot of them.

I have a nice watch (Cartier) and some nice jewellery which people always notice when I wear it.

My thing is shoes so I spend a lot on them but only if I will get my wear out of them. I'm a sahm so I wear flats and trainers a lot so I buy nice ones. I maybe wearing an outfit from h and m but with a nice pair of shoes it brings the outfit up.

PaintingOwls Thu 16-May-19 19:35:56

troppibambini

I don't suppose you could still get that staff discount? grin

fancynancyclancy Thu 16-May-19 19:44:00

Thinking about it more, for me it’s a certain kind of elegance.
Plenty of well groomed wealthy women who look rich but not necessarily nice imo, real housewives anyone?

HundredMilesAnHour Thu 16-May-19 19:46:28

Ted Baker coat, Longchamp bag, Kate Spade purse

I'm sorry OP but none of these scream rich or aspirational to me. These are "the statement pieces"? Not much of a statement I'm afraid. Sorry if that sounds bitchy but I can't think of a nicer way to write it! blush

As others have already said, a lot is down to confidence and posture. Confidence and posture trump expensive accessories/clothes although these can make something of a difference to those who are relatively easily impressed. If you think you need the help to boost your confidence, look at good quality shoes and bags, and choose clothes that actually fit you (and/or have them tailored to fit) in good quality fabrics.

managedmis Thu 16-May-19 19:46:52

There was a great thread about this a while ago, let me see if I can find it

managedmis Thu 16-May-19 19:47:18

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/2537782-How-to-look-expensive

GeorgeTheBleeder Thu 16-May-19 19:47:48

Hmm ... I care a ridiculous amount about what I wear (and love extravagance in cut and fabric,) but your asking that question has made me realise I’m not at all interested in looking rich.

I want people to recognise my inestimable brilliance - and probably hope that can be conveyed partly through how I dress, but mostly through what I say and what I actually do. Certainly the people I most want to interact with care far more about what’s in my head than what’s in my bank account ...

Nousernameforme Thu 16-May-19 19:53:12

We needs lists and directions here people what shoes? What exactly is well groomed?

Whoopstheregomyinsides Thu 16-May-19 19:57:29

I think that was a bit rude about the OP’s examples. I get what she’s driving at. Almost what’s worth spending on
I look cheap always but “feel” better when I wear my nicer things. But I never know which things should be the nicer ones! Shoes I think are one but then struggle to find comfy ones ! Maybe comfy shoes is why I look shit!

troppibambini Thu 16-May-19 20:02:12

Paintingowls I wish grin
I used to have a pretty glam life!! Event organising was also part of my job which was so much fun.Four kids later and a sahm now so Sainsburys is about as glamorous as I get!!

OrdinarySnowflake Thu 16-May-19 20:03:10

I agree those are probably not "statement" pieces as such, but probably look better quality (if not instantly identifiable) than the cheaper end of high street, particularly after a few uses. This is something I have noticed, the posher stuff continues to look good after a lot of use, whereas cheap stuff can start off looking pretty comparable, but quickly looks bad. If you are buying the cheaper end of the high street, and want to look fancier, you'll need to replace regularly.

Posture does do a lot of good. Looking groomed without slipping into towie territory does a lot as well. Plus confidence. Confidence does make such a difference!

PaintingOwls Thu 16-May-19 20:06:45

HundredMilesAnHour

Ted Baker coat, Longchamp bag, Kate Spade purse

I'm sorry OP but none of these scream rich or aspirational to me. These are "the statement pieces"? Not much of a statement I'm afraid. Sorry if that sounds bitchy but I can't think of a nicer way to write it!

Look, they're expensive to me to a few hundred quid a pop. I don't know anyone who owns Chanel or whatever, people who can afford proper high-end stuff wouldn't hang out with riff-raff like me.

managedmis

Thanks, I shall make a tea and have a read, it looks fairly long...

GeorgeTheBleeder

I don't know how to say what I was trying to say and rich seemed like a convenient, albeit awkward, shortcut. I'm not interested in expressing my personality through my clothes so much these days, I went through a heavy phrase in college/uni where every piece of clothing was MY PERSONALITY. These days I want to look nice and be treated well.

Nousernameforme

We needs lists and directions here people what shoes? What exactly is well groomed?

Haha I agree, I need direction!

Well-groomed I presume is hair, skin and nails. Although I have curly, frizzy, unruly hair which makes this step tricky for me.

pinkcardi Thu 16-May-19 20:10:39

Personally I think:
- natural fabrics at all times, never ever polyester. I think suede is an easy way to look expensive
- generally well groomed
- clothes ironed and well kept
- stick to a similar pallet of neutrals and accentuate with brighter colours when required
- sale shopping in expensive shops for bargain classics that you will wear again and again.
- try to plan your outfit the night before. I have limited time in the morning so I check the weather the night before and roughly decide on what I will wear. Rushed mornings usually end with bad clothes decisions
- one or two items of interesting yet not garish jewellery can lift a boring item into interesting.

My most commented on pieces/looks are often high end bargains.

PaintingOwls Thu 16-May-19 20:12:58

OrdinarySnowflake

This is something I have noticed, the posher stuff continues to look good after a lot of use, whereas cheap stuff can start off looking pretty comparable, but quickly looks bad.

Absolutely - my Primark t-shirts bobble horribly after a couple of washes and look hideous, even if they did start off life looking quite nice with a pair of jeans and brogues.

My Hobbs coat is a couple years old now but still looks crisp and lovely and I still get compliments for it.

pinkcardi Thu 16-May-19 20:14:39

Well groomed:
- hair clean and tidy, conditioned and some sort of style. Frizzy is fine/unavoidable. Hair oil is fantastic
- nails clean and tidy
- shoes tidy and in some way coordinated with outfit
- ironed. I iron jumpers. Creases look messy
- if you're going to wear a jersey dress wear a slip underneath to smooth out any lumps/bumps. Generally never underestimate the power of a slip and well fitted underwear.
- on this theme: no bra bulge, VPL, visible bra straps

Ellapaella Thu 16-May-19 20:18:13

A lot of 'high end' brands these days seem to use the same cheap fabrics as high end stores so I don't agree that expensive =quality. To get excellent clothes these days that use top quality fabric which are well cut I expect you'd have to spend serious money. I would never be able to afford really expensive designer clothes.
Where I live lots of people use clothing alterations shops to get things adjusted for the perfect fit. I've started doing that more and more which definitely helps.
Totally agree with those who mention posture and confidence. Also subtle details such as nice jewellery, decent shoes, nice hair - all the attention to small detail make such a difference.

Handsoffmysweets Thu 16-May-19 20:19:06

It’s all to do with cut, confidence, posture and being well groomed imo. Some of the tackiest people I know own £1k + handbags. A certain footballers wife also springs to mind. She can wear a £10k outfit and make it look like it came off a market stall.

SuziQ10 Thu 16-May-19 20:21:21

Absolutely agree with PP about shoes.
A terrible, cheap paid of shoes (Black £10 dolly shoes are the absolute worst) can completely ruin a perfectly nice outfit, wherever it's from.

PaintingOwls Thu 16-May-19 20:22:43

pinkcardi

try to plan your outfit the night before. I have limited time in the morning so I check the weather the night before and roughly decide on what I will wear. Rushed mornings usually end with bad clothes decisions.

This is a great tip, I am very guilty of pulling on random things in the morning blush

Harebel Thu 16-May-19 20:23:16

The really really rich people I know tend to wear torn cardies and scruffy boots.

The ones trying to appear rich would never be seen dead in such things.

Weird, huh?

PaintingOwls Thu 16-May-19 20:25:30

SuziQ10

Absolutely agree with PP about shoes.

A terrible, cheap pair of shoes (Black £10 dolly shoes are the absolute worst) can completely ruin a perfectly nice outfit, wherever it's from.

True, I hate those shoes as well. I'm a bit limited as I have to wear insoles so all my shoes are either brogues or running trainers.

GeorgeTheBleeder Thu 16-May-19 20:29:14

Trying to help:

In the late eighties/early nineties when I went to a lot of interviews in the City you needed a pair of Ferragamo ‘Vara’ shoes. I bought almost no other shoes for years. Then either they stopped being a thing or I stopped caring; dunno. Lately I’ve seen them being sold, without irony, on websites I have no reason to distrust. I can’t imagine where I’d wear them now, but they will make anyone look rich (as opposed to ‘kept’ which is always the problem with Chanel.)

Nowadays I adopt a more louche demeanour (she said ...) so if I were spending money to look rich I’d be buying lots of flouncy blouses, shredded tweed and super soft leather. Worn with ancient cashmere and spidery mascara. And very expensive perfume.

<Glances at mirror>

Oh - wait ... wink hmm grin

Fraxion Thu 16-May-19 20:32:37

Having said that someone people have the ability to make a £10 dress look £1000 & the reverse is also true.

Definitely agree with this. My friend has the former, she could make a bin bag look good. She says it's all about the accessories.

VodselForDinner Thu 16-May-19 20:40:10

My credit card is black. It just happens to be the colour my bank issues them in. It’s a bog-standard card.

Years ago, on holiday in the US, I was upgraded EVERYWHERE. I’d check in to a hotel and would be told I had an upgrade at the last minute. Rented a car and, when giving my card, had the guy inside the desk upgrade me to an amazing luxury SUV. I bought a $200 bracelet charm in Tiffany’s and, after checking-out, was fawned over a lot more than expected for the price!

It was amazing. It was a running joke between me and my husband. If he paid for anything, we didn’t get any special treatment.

We figured it out after a couple of days when my bill was brought over in a restaurant and I used my card, the waitress called her friend over and they both started taking about my card and how they’d never seen one before and asking was I famous.

It turns out they were all mistaking it for an exclusive black credit card that’s available by invite only to very high net worth people. You have to earn over $1.3m a year, be invited (and pay $5k+ for the privilege), and have a minimum card spend of $250k per annum. I think there’s no credit limit.
www.creditcardinsider.com/blog/the-american-express-centurion-black-card/

I felt very rich.

TinklyLittleLaugh Thu 16-May-19 20:42:22

I think it starts with what you look like. Expensive is slim and gym toned with excellent teeth, well cared for hair and great skin, probably a light tan if it looks natural and suits your colouring.

In winter you need a good coat, boots and bag. In summer you need to look comfortable. Hot and bothered is not expensive, so simple shift dresses, well fitting walkable sandals.

managedmis Thu 16-May-19 20:42:32

Yeah painted, it's not a tea break read grin

PaintingOwls Thu 16-May-19 20:52:04

VodselForDinner

That's hilarious!

<<shuffles off to pick new cc colour>>

JaceLancs Thu 16-May-19 21:01:11

I also have a black credit card but no one has ever raised a glance - unlike a bright yellow one which raised many comments
Re looking expensive or classy I think good quality accessories and or coat are the way to go
Plain understated styles - well made from natural materials are usually best

PaintingOwls Thu 16-May-19 21:03:19

TinklyLittleLaugh

I think it starts with what you look like. Expensive is slim and gym toned with excellent teeth, well cared for hair and great skin, probably a light tan if it looks natural and suits your colouring.

I'm a pear shape, a bit podgy (4 kg overweight), pale with dark hair. My friend is also pear shaped but taller and weighs less.

The last time I went shopping with her I ended up dropping nearly £200 in Bobbi Brown on skincare and a new foundation. I have to say, I think it's worth it. The potions make my dry skin glowy and the foundation hides my spots seamlessly in a way that I could never get with the stuff I was using before.

So my skin is getting there. My teeth are already straight. I suppose I just need to work on the podge now...

Heartlake Thu 16-May-19 21:51:43

Hmmm FWIW! As a minimum and on a budget...

Good basics... Jeans, chinos, underwear, a few nice cardigans, crisp t-shirts, a few good belts. Don't have to be expensive

Never mix base colors... So pick one of grey/black/navy/brown

If trousers have belt loops, wear a belt

Never have visible underwear/bulges/straining buttons, pulls, stains, bobbles

Wear either lose top / fitted bottoms or vice versa but not both

Don't show too many of toes / knees / elbows / shoulders / cleavage at once

Wear shoes you can walk comfortably all day in

Wear the best watch you can afford

Avoid all visible labels/branding

'Do' something with your hair... Straighten, flick, smart ponytail, braid, front clipped up. No curtains or mum buns

Wear a bit of makeup

Wear some jewellery. But not too much.

Wear one interesting thing with each outfit... Bright shoes, interesting scarf, nice bracelet

If you have to spend money on anything, spend it on shoes

Assemble your entire outfit before you put it on

If it feels uncomfortable when you put it on, change it

Carry one bag if you can.

Wear layers... Thin vests and cardigans are great...

MadameJimJam Thu 16-May-19 22:05:25

Another vote for good quality shoes here. And polish them! Every week! Doesn't take long with one of those liquid wax things, and over time you build up a really deep 'posh' patina.

I also buy second-hand/ vintage handbags from Ebay now and then (e. g. Mulberry). They are still pricey second hand, but much much much cheaper than new. They also still look fabulous - previous posters are right about good quality stuff aging well, and most people with a Mulberry handbag are going to have taken good care of it.

My weight fluctuates, but my shoes and bag always fit, so that's where I spend my money wink. That and scarves...

woodcutbirds Thu 16-May-19 22:12:51

I think keeping an eye out for pieces that really suit you and work with your colouring and your personality helps. I have a blouse bought from H&M for less than £20. So many people have complimented it and told me it looks incredibly expensive. It is quite a classic design but made of viscose!

WanderingTrolley1 Thu 16-May-19 22:17:59

The wealthiest people I know don’t dress for others or to impress...

Poppins2016 Thu 16-May-19 22:25:23

I think it's a case of 'it's not what you wear, but how you wear it'. I.e. how you combine clothes, whether you go for classic (or fashionable), your sense of personal style, etc.

spugzbunny Thu 16-May-19 22:28:02

I'm always covered in my babies food and snot ... would a statement coat help cover that up? What are nice trainers??

Sarahlou63 Thu 16-May-19 22:29:12

Ha! My whole outfit costs about €30 but I drive an (ancient) Porsche so everyone thinks I'm stinking rich grin

goingtotown Thu 16-May-19 22:36:12

What are ‘black dolly shoes’?

PaintingOwls Thu 16-May-19 22:42:37

goingtotown

Like ballet pumps.

goingtotown Thu 16-May-19 22:45:57

PaintingOwls Thank you.

fancynancyclancy Thu 16-May-19 22:48:18

I thought dolly shoes were Mary Janes?

fancynancyclancy Thu 16-May-19 22:50:43

Like these

CherryPavlova Thu 16-May-19 23:00:18

Why would you need or want people to think you were rich?

I think you are treated as you expect to be treated. I’m afraid I’m old fashioned enough to expect doors to be held, seats to be offered, helped with luggage and for people to engage in polite conversation. It’s not about wealth or silly designer labels. It’s about your own confidence and the courtesy of people you mix with.

GeorgeTheBleeder Thu 16-May-19 23:16:12

I think you are treated as you expect to be treated.
It’s not about wealth or silly designer labels. It’s about your own confidence and the courtesy of people you mix with.

Ha ha ha ha ha

Oh Cherry - if only that were true. Maybe it would be, if we could all choose exactly who we mix with. If only confidence and courtesy could fill up all the bullet holes ... Or even wipe out the memory of a million micro-aggressions.

There is nothing at all surprising in people wanting to give the impression that they are of a class of people who can expect to be treated well. It is a little surprising that anyone might not understand why.

CherryPavlova Thu 16-May-19 23:32:25

Oh George, I understand full well that it is about confidence not wealth. People- particularly women- need to develop the impression of confidence as an effective tool with which to extract courtesy from others. If we persuade women it’s about a Barbour jacket, an Osprey bag or United Nude footwear we do them a huge disservice.
Most reasonable people are dismissive of designer outlet destination bargains but value the ability to make eye contact, to hold heads high and to ask for what is required. Far better to say “Can you put my case on the luggage rack please?” than hover about in a Burberry trench coat hopefully.

GeorgeTheBleeder Thu 16-May-19 23:44:11

No, that’s not what I was talking about. I would never expect clothing to make a difference to whether someone helped a woman with a heavy suitcase.

But if you’re likely to be shot to pieces or to be repeatedly ‘unlucky’ in the job market - just because your face doesn’t fit - there’s some relief to be had from acquiring the outward trappings of the people whose lives appear more charmed.

I’m afraid ‘confidence’ isn’t really the issue if the policeman with the gun shoots you from the other side of your neighbour’s garden. Nor is courtesy much comfort when the first question you’re asked in an interview implies that you don’t belong in your own country ...

tabardtherapist Thu 16-May-19 23:46:36

OP, there's a terrific thread (or two) called How to Look Expensive or something, from a while ago. It may even be in classics - it has terrific advice.

tabardtherapist Thu 16-May-19 23:47:45

Oh, someone linked it 3 pages ago!blush

evilharpy Fri 17-May-19 07:28:42

I love these threads!

A friend at work was looking fabulous yesterday in what I assumed was an expensive dress. When I complimented it she stage whispered at me "SSSHHH... IT'S FROM SAINSBURYS" grin She has beautiful skin and a lovely haircut and does have the skill of making anything look designer.

I'm starting to think that looking expensive is about 75% reliant on having good skin. Which is annoying. My hair is always ok (highlighted and blowdried or straightened although not poker straight), my nails are tidy, my shoes are always clean and polished and my clothes are always ironed, debobbled, properly fitting and decent quality, but I have rosacea and if it's flared up I look crap and (in my head anyway) a bit untidy.

Loopytiles Fri 17-May-19 07:32:10

There’s a “how to look expensive” thread on here.

Loopytiles Fri 17-May-19 07:33:16

Dislike the term “pieces” about items of clothing or accessories, it just means something expensive.

howwudufeel Fri 17-May-19 07:36:35

I bought a coat from Primark last year on a whim. I have had people stop and ask me where it’s from. I have a leather backpack which again people always ask me about. Otherwise I wear jeans and brogues a lot.

8FencingWire Fri 17-May-19 07:41:38

I wear Chie Mihara. Shoes that I can actually walk in! And last for ages smile

fessmess Fri 17-May-19 07:41:50

😮 why would anyone care? Omg I have heard it all today!

JQBased Fri 17-May-19 07:43:46

Primark is expensive to me 😂

mummmy2017 Fri 17-May-19 07:48:23

Always hold your head up even in the rain.
The words that come out of your mouth..
Not too much make up...
No trainers. Ever .
Pleated trousers, not jeans, with a soft white shirt.
No patterns... Make it match in colour.

CountFosco Fri 17-May-19 08:08:02

I had an interesting experience in Hobbs. I'd seen a tote bag I thought would be good for work so popped into HoF after going for a swim at the weekend to have a look. I was just carrying my sports bag (no handbag) and was reasonably casually dressed but had a good quality woolcoat on. I took the bag I was thinking about off the shelf to have a look inside. The assistant looked at me with my sportsbag and very snottily said 'That bag is £200 you know'. I just smiled at her and said 'I know, I saw it on the website and wanted to have a look at it in real life'. Her attitude changed immediately and she went all obsequious and then told me the bag went with my coat. Obviously my accent and confidence overrode her initial opinion based on my sportsbag. So the moral of the story is don't carry a 20yo rucksack!

fancynancyclancy Fri 17-May-19 08:09:25

You can look “expensive” without resorting to dressing like your 90. No jeans or trainers! Sorry but that’s nonsense imo.

evilharpy Fri 17-May-19 08:18:49

CountFosco that's a horrible attitude! Have they not seen Pretty Woman??

PaintingOwls Fri 17-May-19 08:20:43

CountFosco

shock wow that's incredibly rude. The simpering just made it worse imo.

Did you buy the bag?

Almahart Fri 17-May-19 08:24:13

Bag makes all the difference. I don’t have branded bags but good quality leather bag I think makes everything look better

insecure123 Fri 17-May-19 08:48:47

Why are there always people "throwing daggers" in threads. if you ar enot interested in helping the OP or ar every much above trying to dress expensive then scroll on by

I like things quite tasteful OP (however I am frequently told I dress very old....) I like things quite plain and neutral, not too fussy. I like small and simple jewellery - studs, small pendants etc. I try and buy the best quality fabrics that I can afford. I have lots of shoes - an embarrasing amount - but majority of the time I sway between a pair od tan boots or tan loafer/driving type shoes. Both expensive but if I worked out price per wear probably the cheapest I have ever worn. I prefer tan to black. Also like real leather handbags and avoid obvious desinger/branding. I just don't like it personally. I prefer (what seems to me to be) quality over labels/designers. That said I do have a (tan - SURPRISE) Michael kors bag that I got 4 years ago. I bought it - not because of the brand - but because I loved the shape and style, it has multiple pockets inside plus the purse clip. It still looks good as new. It was when the branding was still just the name written in small letters though it did have that wee dangly tag with the big MK on - which I removed because that is too obvious/big for me. These are all just things I prefer though - not sure whether or not they class as looking expensive smile Hope that helps a little.

Oh an to your original post - I love a longhchamp bag! They are spacious and light to carry - also great for packing because they fold away. Clearly not classed as good enough for some ha but I love them.

GreigLaidlawsbarofsoap Fri 17-May-19 08:56:52

Not much of a statement I'm afraid. Sorry if that sounds bitchy but I can't think of a nicer way to write it!

"I'm a complete snob and want all of MN to know I'm really rich, like really really rich".

There, fixed it for you, Hundred.

hmm

HumptyNumptyNooNoo Fri 17-May-19 09:09:32

The richest person I know wears crappy old clothes and drives an old banger !
( not much help - sorry !)

Floisme Fri 17-May-19 09:15:23

If the thread's going to be about wearing navy and tan and having swishy hair then it's not my thing. However I do know that if I feel well dressed (and I mean my version of well dressed) then I feel more confident. I even walk differently and I'm sure that has an impact on how people perceive me - the old 'clothes as armour' thing.

I can't afford to do it head to toe but I'll go to the top of my budget for:
Trousers - they just seem to hang better and keep their shape (but only if they fit well in the first which is another matter entirely).
Jackets / blazers - same as above. I'm talking tailored here - if it's leather I often can't tell real from fake.
Bad weather clothes - I used to be a cheapskate about this but last year I forked out for a Protected Species waterproof trenchcoat and honestly, feeling well dressed and dry when it's pissing down has been a revelation.

I don't budget as much for :
Bags - I'm just not interested and, if I do recognise a brand, I normally assume it's fake. (Sorry bag lovers.)
Shoes - I like them but I wreck them. (Except for Solovair which have lasted decades.)
Tops - need more washing so don't wear as well (although I love an expensive looking silk shirt).
Going out clothes - bad lighting, booze ... what's the point?

Floisme Fri 17-May-19 09:21:38

As for people looking expensive in something from Primark or Sainsbury's - yes they can but I do wonder how many times they wear it. I've found it can look great the first couple of wears and then the next time I put it on, it looks like a used up tea towel and from then on, nothing I do can revive it.

insecure123 Fri 17-May-19 09:24:13

As for people looking expensive in something from Primark or Sainsbury's - yes they can but I do wonder how many times they wear it. I've found it can look great the first couple of wears and then the next time I put it on, it looks like a used up tea towel and from then on, nothing I do can revive it.

I notice this. I have bought a couple of cheap things that initially look lovely but after a couple of wears they start to look a bit rubbish and I can never quite put my finger on what it is but I think it is just that they lose shape, fade etc

Floisme Fri 17-May-19 09:25:01

Ellapaella Fri 17-May-19 09:27:07

Just out of interest does everyone equate looking expensive with looking stylish? I'm intrigued as I don't necessarily put the two together at all. Looking stylish to me is about someone who knows what clothes and style suit them and expressing a bit of their personality through their clothes and accessories. I don't think you need look like you are wearing expensive clothes or have lots of money to look stylish.

MadameJimJam Fri 17-May-19 09:36:12

Totally agree with Floisme about it being easier to be confident when you feel like you're well dressed.

Yes, people should treat you respectfully whatever you look like. But they don't always.

Yes, you can make your presence felt whatever you look like: you can use confidence, authority, choice of words, tone of voice etc. I once managed it in a manky old dressing gown and bare feet. But it was SO MUCH HARDER than if I'd been well dressed or indeed dressed . It was just much more difficult for me to muster up that attitude.

P. S. CountFosco shockshockshock. Hope you didn't buy the bag if she was getting commission...

BrainScience Fri 17-May-19 09:39:45

I think 99% of it is posture, confidence and having good hair. Look at Theresa May, she’s a billionaire but even at posh events she looks like she’s wearing badly fitted, charity shop clothes. Whereas other women could wear the same outfits and look incredible.

Floisme Fri 17-May-19 09:40:06

Sorry for double post - no idea how that happened.

JuJuMu Fri 17-May-19 09:41:35

Spend money on jackets/coats - they are the most important thing you wear and wear good shoes (polished) that don't look worn out (and socks/tights).
Branded bags - look fake and if not maybe even a bit too obvious, I'm not convinced they improve your look - a good quality non shabby bag that is consistent with the occasion you are dressed for. Grooming and posture - a bit of jewellery again blingy watches can look fake.
I've never been too bothered about looking expensive - I'm still trying to look cool in my 40s 😎😂

Floisme Fri 17-May-19 09:43:13

Yeah looking cool - that's the holy grail for me too.

Supersimpkin Fri 17-May-19 09:43:55

I live in an expensive bit of banker London, and what I'm advising is Stealth Wealth style, which is not logos or anything that shines.

Otherwise you look Russian. smile Thing is, if you are rich, you don't need to display it, but you do, by default. So:

1. Pricy highlights, the Wandsworth butter colour
2. Paige jeans at 200 quid a pop (or TK Maxx)
3. Moncler anorak (no logos, black, 800 quid)
4. Scruffy linen tee shirt
5. Small Gucci bag with the GGs, black, quilted.
6. Mulberry has long gone out of fashion but some of their new smaller styles are making an appearance.
7. Trainers - crucial, this - muddy from walking dog.

JuJuMu Fri 17-May-19 09:46:19

7. Trainers - crucial, this - muddy from walking dog. I've got that one sorted but also wear my Grenson Nanette's for dog walking - because we always walk to the pub and I need to feel I'm looking cool enough for the pub! wink

LoafofSellotape Fri 17-May-19 09:56:21

I'm sorry OP but none of these scream rich or aspirational to me. These are "the statement pieces"? Not much of a statement I'm afraid. Sorry if that sounds bitchy but I can't think of a nicer way to write it! You really don't have to write/say everything that comes into your head. Maybe the reason you can't find a nice way of saying it is because there isn't a nice way of saying it and it's just 'bitchy?'

OP I always like a nice purse and I always notice other people's too.

Jauralane Fri 17-May-19 09:59:55

@Supersimpkin Could you post a pic of 'Wandsworth butter' colour highlights? Intrigued to know what you mean x

PaintingOwls Fri 17-May-19 10:01:29

Floisme

You just described my entire wardrobe...

LittleAndOften Fri 17-May-19 10:20:50

The rich people round here all seem to wear...

Designer sunglasses in all weathers
V smart coat
V smart boots
Shiny dyed hair

Or they might all be hairdressers... confused

Floisme Fri 17-May-19 10:23:33

I found Sainsbury's particularly bad for it Painting. I stopped doing the weekly shop there because I got suckered so many times.

AdoraBell Fri 17-May-19 10:39:06

As others have said - grooming, posture and natural fabrics that fit you properly. I also think a nice looking, but not necessarily ££££s, coat/jacket helps.

I splurged on a simple dress for a thing I had to attend this week. It wasn’t overly expensive but the fabric and cut are more forgiving of my recent chocolate habit than anything that was sitting in my wardrobe. Met a lovely group of ladies in full on designer clothes and accessories, privately educated, expensive cars and DC in private schools. Properly rich. One of them said my dress was beautiful. I firmly believe that was because it was a simple design in a flattering shape that fits properly.

JuJuMu Fri 17-May-19 10:55:41

Pleated trousers, not jeans, with a soft white shirt. Is anyone else seeing the pleated trousers and soft white shirt and thinking Golden Girls? You can look classy and not look like you are dressing like a 90 year old!

JuJuMu Fri 17-May-19 10:57:32

Met a lovely group of ladies in full on designer clothes and accessories, privately educated, expensive cars and DC in private schools. Did they really tell you they had these things? shock

ZaraW Fri 17-May-19 11:03:20

I wear mostly natural fabrics apart from a couple of Issey Miyake Pleats Please dresses I got on EBay which were insanely expensive even when bought second hand. These dresses are polyester they are beautiful and the only items of clothing people stop me in the street to tell me how nice they are.

championquartz Fri 17-May-19 11:12:12

@JuJuMu <Snort> at Golden Girls. Now I can't see anything else!

Decent knitwear helps, I think. All this awful acrylic. Looks awful. Wears awfully. Washes terribly. It doesn't even do its function - no warmth in it.
As do decent shoes/footwear. Not necessarily high end.
Decent coats.
Not so hung up on handbags. I think that's more a badge than an expensive look, per se.
Ironed clothes.
That's what I notice anyway.

But it's a 'cared for with very little tat' look - good hair, make up and then the rest.

stucknoue Fri 17-May-19 11:13:17

It's actually about how you present yourself not the cost - if you feel good then others will see your positivity. Ive got a good coat, decent (not designer) bag etc and I definitely feel better wearing them

mummmy2017 Fri 17-May-19 11:24:23

My Barbour was so beat up,. I lived in it winter time, but it looked stylish due to the cut...
Jackets always work...
Trainers are never stylish, if your doing a muddy walk can't beat a pair of old hunter wellies...

cranstonmanor Fri 17-May-19 12:00:56

*The really really rich people I know tend to wear torn cardies and scruffy boots.

The ones trying to appear rich would never be seen dead in such things.*

I live in a very posh part of my country and this is certainly true here. The more the labels show, the poorer people are in my experience.

fancynancyclancy Fri 17-May-19 12:42:22

Agree with other posters, I want to look cool too!

JuJuMu Fri 17-May-19 12:53:34

Trainers are never stylish, if your doing a muddy walk can't beat a pair of old hunter wellies Hunter wellies are rubbish and a bit tacky - if you really walk a dog, you need to invest in something a bit more functional - I'd recommend Aigle Pacours .

AdoraBell Fri 17-May-19 13:24:12

No JuJuMu it was just obvious. Friends of a distance relly who I know was in private school, so her school friends who met their spouses at school and their DC are in the same school. Saw their cars, and super expensive bags, as we all arrived at the same time.

They were genuinely lovely people though, just like the distant relly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »