Talk

Advanced search

Acne prone 18 year old Skincare recommendations please

(11 Posts)
NigellasGuest Sun 12-May-19 12:07:38

My DD has asked for some products for her birthday to help her spotty skin... she gets whitehead pimples on her face and back that leave scars, and sometimes those under the skin cystic spots. I am happy to splash out on a whole routine, including cleanser, serum etc. I've had a look at Paula's Chouce, but can anyone add anything or give a recommendation please? DD will be turning 19.

NigellasGuest Mon 13-May-19 12:57:59

Anyone please?

sue51 Mon 13-May-19 13:05:50

For anything more than a couple of spots I would recommend a visit to a doctor and ask to be referred to a dermatologist. It might be easily cured with topical antibiotics or maybe need something stronger but you could spend a fortune on over the counter stuff with no lasting result.

NigellasGuest Mon 13-May-19 15:08:07

Ah, ok thank you. Looks like we need a rethink. I wi tell her to make an appointment with her GP. Thanks!

RD15 Mon 13-May-19 16:25:12

I would second a visit to the GP, having spent a fortune on OTC products myself with negligible results. Good luck to her xx

RD15 Mon 13-May-19 16:25:50

Having said that, I did have some success with La Roche Posay Effaclear range xx

pumpastrotter Mon 13-May-19 16:51:43

As someone who has/does suffered with teen and adult acne, I can 100% recommend the ordinary range, my skin is the clearest its ever been and you can look up routines online for different skin types and it's very reasonably priced. Every single one of my friends who use it also rave about it and I've converted some colleagues. I suffer from blackheads/large pores, cystic acne and smaller under the skin comedones and it has almost cleared up it totally, the past month especially I have received a few compliments over how my skin has cleared up (including by DH). Personal favourites for me are the AHA BHA peel and niacinamide.

SuziQ10 Mon 13-May-19 16:54:59

I had this sort of spotty skin through adolescence, up until mid 20s actually (only just kicked it!)
For me, it wasn't bad enough for medication from Gp but I did have to follow a good cleaning routine. I used Clinique Blemish face wash, toner and moisturiser, and from the same range the acne prone skin foundation & make up. It made all the difference. I needed coverage and liked wearing make up that was potentially helping.

YesQueen Mon 13-May-19 20:37:31

Paula's choice BHA is v good on my acne prone skin, and I use benzoyl peroxide when mine is bad
I would see the GP, and then get a really gentle cleanser and moisturiser like la Roche posay to go alongside whatever the GP recommends
For her body you could look at a wash with salicylic acid like this https://www.beautybay.com/p/mario-badescu/aha-botanical-body-soap/?ctyid=gb&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAjwq-TmBRBdEiwAaO1en2qfiqRQN7M9XsGLVZK1zP0Sm8viS32HeQGYtW2W9yUng1UeIIIfhoC5GYQAvDBwE

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 13-May-19 21:05:22

Always the drs if they leave scars.

Frosty26827 Mon 13-May-19 21:33:28

La Roche Posay Effaclear range has transformed my Dd skin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »