Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about MOM JEANS

(32 Posts)
edgeofheaven Wed 10-Apr-19 11:00:26

(I know this is an Americanism but that's what they're called so just get over it)

I'm mid 30s, two DCs, and I just can't wear the low rise jeans I used to anymore. Bending over to chase a toddler - it's not working.

I am seeing "mom jeans" as a trend while online shopping and I'm tempted. Before I go into the shops and try some on - how do they fit?

I'm tall (5ft10) and athletic/curvy build, size 14/16. Will this look OK on me?

Thanks!!

Miseryisabutterfly Wed 10-Apr-19 11:03:49

Zara do some super flattering ones in a dark blue. My mum always asks if I’ve lost weight when I wear them 👍 they may be too short for you though, I’m 5ft8 and turn up the cuffs slightly because I like that look, but they reach my ankle otherwise.

Awks Wed 10-Apr-19 11:16:24

I've got a pair of topshop ones sz 16. I bought them to make into summer shorts but they're too small. I'll post you them if you want as they're off to the charity shop then you can see if they suit you https://m.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/moto-flame-applique-mom-jeans-7684582

edgeofheaven Wed 10-Apr-19 11:54:47

I’m overseas but thanks for the offer!

SuddenBeetE Wed 10-Apr-19 12:03:03

I love mine and wear them loads. I’ve got the topshop ones and 2 from Asos.

They fit me neat on the waist (mine are high waist?) and I wear with a tucked in tee or loose sweatshirt, trainers or docs.

MyFamilyAndOtherAnimals1 Wed 10-Apr-19 12:09:27

They take a bit of getting used to, but I love them now!

Before I bought mine, I actually wore my DH's normal jeans. I fastened a large belt around my waist (which is where the jeans naturally came up to) and rolled them up at the bottom to expose some ankle. I'm not sure if they were exactly 'Mum jeans style', but they gave me a feel for the baggier jean which I liked.

SilentSister Wed 10-Apr-19 12:18:07

TBH I am not sure what a "mom" jean is, but I have been buying Jamie Jeans from TopShop for ages as they are high waisted and come in lots of waist/length combinations. I go for the longest length as then they are not ankle length, but normal length.

mrscampbellblackagain Wed 10-Apr-19 12:54:31

I think they can look great but ideally when worn with a very slim/tight fitting tucked in top or even a cropped one. And no way am I doing that wink

I just think you need to try on loads of jeans to find the pair that works for you. I suit skinnies as my legs are slim but my middle is my worst area and the mom jeans would just draw attention to that.

Brittanyspears Wed 10-Apr-19 12:55:56

LOVE THEM!
Topshop are your best bet as you are tall. They do 34 or 36 leg length. Also have them from Pull & Bear, h&m and primark.

Brittanyspears Wed 10-Apr-19 12:58:21

silent Jamie jeans are skinnies. Mom jeans are 80s style jeans “moms” wore. Looser non stretchy denim with a higher waist that go in at the bottom.

Thishatisnotmine Wed 10-Apr-19 13:06:59

I like then in theory but the pair I had from Asos which went quite loose and made me look like I had a Mum (Mom) Tum. This was pre dc! But for the first couple of wears I loved the look. I have a pair of black straight leg jeans with a high-ish waist and they are very flattering and look a bit 'cooler' than skinnies blush!

SilentSister Wed 10-Apr-19 13:50:18

Brittany Oh, OK. That makes sense..... yes, in that case, just like the ones we all wore in the 80's then.....except we were all teens then, and had distinctly different figures back then.... well I did anyway grin. Not sure I could pull off that look any more. Much prefer to suck it all in in skinnies grin grin

edgeofheaven Wed 10-Apr-19 14:19:29

I don’t mind skinnies but I’m prone to love handles if I am even a few lbs overweight. So they’d need to be high waisted.

edgeofheaven Wed 10-Apr-19 14:21:14

Oh I like the look of the Topshop ones actually

KnitFastDieWarm Wed 10-Apr-19 14:40:56

Give next a go! I’m just getting into the idea of mom jeans as I love a high waist, being an hourglass. I bought a fab pair today from next - slightly cropped straight leg perfect for rolling up, button fly, slightly stretchy thick old school faded denim. I’m very curvy with an 11 inch waist to hip difference and the size 14 fits me perfectly on both waist and hips (I am NOT actually a size 14 in trousers but next vanity sizing, etc grin)
I feel trendy! Well, trendy for a 31 year old mum of a toddler anyway...

MayFayner Wed 10-Apr-19 14:46:32

Like pp, I’d recommend Topshop Jamie jeans as a compromise between low-waisted jeans and full-on mom jeans.

17yo DD has a pair of mom jeans and they would be too much of a “look” for me at my advanced age (42). I think I’d look like an actual mum from the ‘80s.

The Jamie jeans are great though.

DonaldTramp Wed 10-Apr-19 14:53:35

Jamie jeans are skinny fit, not mom-cut at all? Real mom jeans are certainly a lot more comforable for everyday bending and stretching but I am struggling to complete my looks as feel huge in everything I put on (loose tops with loose jeans)

MrsBobDylan Wed 10-Apr-19 15:02:22

I have made the transition into Mom jeans and love them! The non stretchy denim took some getting used to. I had forgotten that they take a while to 'wear in' but once they do, they are glorious and so good for taming mid-drift splodge.

I have one pair from Levi's and another made by Lee.

GillianUsedToLiveHere Wed 10-Apr-19 16:24:29

I just wanted to leave this blog review here of how jeans can make arses look huge and how a good pair of jeans and pocket placement plus colour can dramatically change how you look from behind.

graspingforobjectivity.com/2012/07/gap.html/

One woman several pairs of jeans for comparison.

SparrowBo Wed 10-Apr-19 16:40:07

I wear Mom jeans without tucking my top in shock

Topshop straight legs are a good in between.

SpeckledyHen Wed 10-Apr-19 17:11:32

Could someone please add a link to mom jeans ?

KnitFastDieWarm Wed 10-Apr-19 17:39:47

@GillianUsedToLiveHere this is really interesting, especially in terms of pocket placement. I actively WANT my arse to look huge grin but also perky!

Palominoo Wed 10-Apr-19 17:41:09

I like the Berkha ones

www.asos.com/search/?q=mom+jeans

Berskha www.asos.com/search/?currentpricerange=5-150&q=mom%20jeans&refine=brand:15370

KnitFastDieWarm Wed 10-Apr-19 17:43:49

@SpeckledyHen I don’t have a link but these are my Moms. Lovely thick denim, nice high waist and no waistband gapping. They aren’t as high rise on me as they would be on most people because I have an absurdly long torso.
It is extremely difficult to take a photo of your own arse, I don’t know how kim kardashian does it grin

KnitFastDieWarm Wed 10-Apr-19 17:45:34

From the front - again, these would come up higher on most people but for me to get a true waist-level high rise I have to buy reproduction 1940s jeans, which are harder to come by!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »