Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Short or long for awards evening?

(12 Posts)
mamhaf Fri 13-Jul-07 08:05:37

The invitation says "lounge suit" and I have the choice of wearing a short cocktail dress or a beautiful long plain but more formal frock.
Which one should I go for? I prefer the long one, but don't want to feel over-dressed. Dh will be wearing a lounge suit.
There'll be a very sexy celebrity making the awards (don't know if we've won one, but here's hoping).

LittleLupin Fri 13-Jul-07 08:11:54

oh wear the long. As long as it isn't bridesmaidy, you'll be fine.

and good luck!

MrsBadger Fri 13-Jul-07 10:10:25

long one
so long as it's plain and not too full - as LL says 'not bridesmaidy'

don't add too much bling or put your hair up or anything.

themoon66 Fri 13-Jul-07 11:28:46

Go for the long one.... how often you do you get the chance to wear a long dress? FGS

Gemy Fri 13-Jul-07 19:44:39

Definatly long. There are loads of nice floor length dresses that won't make you feel over-dressed. Net-a-porter usually have some really nice ones.

funnypeevesculiar Fri 13-Jul-07 19:51:52

long, defn - yoou sound like you'll feel better in it

Mommalove Sat 14-Jul-07 23:08:19

Message withdrawn

Katymac Sat 14-Jul-07 23:11:18

Well at the awards I went to I was told long - but about a third were in short

IMO if there is a chance you will be photographed by the press I'd go for long

EscapeFrom Sat 14-Jul-07 23:12:03

Long!

chilledmama Sat 14-Jul-07 23:14:45

If its a formal event you should always wear long. Short says cocktail dress, therefore cocktail drinks and smally eats.
HTH

Katymac Sat 14-Jul-07 23:16:01

Is it a dinnner?

If so remember to cover your shoulders (it's quite old fashioned - but if you don't someone will notice...I promise)

mamhaf Sun 15-Jul-07 21:44:06

Thanks everyone. It was last night, and I went for the long, and had a great time.
I hadn't known the 'rule' about covered shoulders - mine weren't, but I don't think it mattered.
There was a huge variety of dress styles, some long, some midi-length and plenty of long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now