Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Psychological advantage

(7 Posts)
newlifenewname Thu 12-Jul-07 17:55:26

Interview tomorrow for a managerial role within education/community development.

I am definitely wearing black linen trousers and black linen jacket (slightly fitted 3/4 length sleeves) but need to know the following:

I need to choose a top.

Does wearing an 'upbeat' colour create a good pschological advantage?

Shall I try and be a bit more mumsy than normal so that I appear more serious (I look fairly young for my age at times)?

Ring and necklace or earrings and ring/necklace do you think? (all understated)

How much make up - I am quite tanned?

I can do day to day but I know my usual look - even for client visits - isn't going to be right for interview.

LittleLupin Thu 12-Jul-07 17:58:50

Can you do something a bit "older" with your hair? And maybe a bit stronger lippy - but not old-slapperish .

What tops do you have to choose from? And is the linen a definite (I worry about creases!)

Good luck!

newlifenewname Thu 12-Jul-07 18:03:03

Yes, I can try with hair. Only had it cut yesterday so not attempted to blow dry myself yet! What do you reckon?

I need to rummage with top, have a navy, and ochre sort of colour wrap top but is a bit tits out if not careful. Have a couple of smart knitwear type things. Can try on and do pics after dc in bed .

Linen is okay as I think trousers might be a mix - they haven't creased previously. Jacket is too structured to crease. I have smart work trousers but one pair a bit too summery/funky the other is too wintery.

EscapeFrom Thu 12-Jul-07 18:05:10

a top with deep red involved - similar but NON GLOSSY lippy

create cheekbones to hide your baby face

wear glasses if you possess them

newlifenewname Thu 12-Jul-07 18:09:21

I do have some 'pretend' glasses, as it happens. I bought them to make me look older!

Will go in search of deep red in wardrobes.

Is deep red a colour likely to good things to interviewers minds?!

EscapeFrom Thu 12-Jul-07 18:21:31

Limit the jewelry too.

EscapeFrom Thu 12-Jul-07 18:21:50

People wearing red always look confident to me

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: