Talk

Advanced search

Shaving head and wearing wigs?

(52 Posts)
PurpleThistles Tue 19-Mar-19 23:14:52

I have dyed my hair black for around 15 years and have had enough of black. I think it would take at least a year to grow all the black out. Seriously considering shaving off my hair and wearing wigs until its grown back long enough to style as such. Has anyone done this?

Reaa Tue 19-Mar-19 23:18:44

Could you use a hairdye remover instead?

How long is your hair at the moment?

FrenchSchnoodle Tue 19-Mar-19 23:19:48

I've done it a few times. I love having v short hair. I sometimes wear wigs and sometimes don't. I like having a choice.

PurpleThistles Tue 19-Mar-19 23:22:23

My hair is really poor quality as it is and i would have to strip my hair many many times to shift the black. I have had short hair before when i was a lot younger, i am happy to go short again.

I think i might want to stop colouring my hair alltogether which means i will be mostly grey at 34 years old.

I have never worn wigs before though and have visions of one flying off in the wind, any tips on them?

MumUnderTheMoon Tue 19-Mar-19 23:28:08

I'd say go for it. If my hair was coming in grey I think I'd be happy to embrace it as it is characterful.

Peghi Tue 19-Mar-19 23:35:03

You'll need a wig cap for underneath. If you're serious buy a cheap one first and see how it feels. Be aware some people will always be able to tell it's a wig and may make assumptions based on that.

Personally, I wouldn't. Crop your hair short and cut it as the roots come through. Wigs are uncomfortable and hot, even in warm weather. The novelty of them wears off soon when you have to wear one.

Real hair wigs look best, you could buy online and spend some money getting it cut (they always have about 50% too much hair in them). You'll need loads of hair serum or oil to calm it down, I put hats on mine overnight on its stand.

I really wouldn't do this though, but I lost my hair so it's a bit more emotionally driven for me.

Peghi Tue 19-Mar-19 23:37:01

Ps I mean buy a cheap synthetic wig and try it on before you shave your head!

Yhe only time my wig came off was when removing things like hats. With hair under it wont "stick" in the same way as if you were bald but they come with adjusters.

Just dont try wearing you hair up with a wig. It never looks real because theres no hairline.

ilovecherries Tue 19-Mar-19 23:41:47

I’ve made my peace with wigs as I’ve had alopecia most of my adult life. Sometimes I go bald (I can grow a 5 o’clock shadow, then it falls out), sometimes I wear something from my (ahem), very extensive wig wardrobe. Never wear a wig cap, glue or tape, I just use the adjusters to fit it on. Always synthetic for me. Have never had one slip, and I actually find quite comfy - strange to begin with obviously, but fine once I was used to them.

ilovecherries Tue 19-Mar-19 23:44:16

Yes, hair up never really works. I do have to be careful if I’m trying clothes on. While I don’t mind anyone seeing me bald, I would hate them to see me accidentally pull a wig off, so I always use changing rooms rather than pull something over my head on the shop floor. I always exercise bald.

Peghi Wed 20-Mar-19 08:29:13

flowers cherries. I only had to wear mine for a year or so.

Hair caps are better for growing in hair as the growth once it gets past stubble/v v short makes it slippy.

I loved my real hair wig, I could straighten it, curl it and have it curled. I think you can do this with more synthetic wigs now though. I had it in blonde while in treatment then when I was well got it my natural colour as I was so anaemic I couldn't wear my natural hair colour.

MariaNovella Wed 20-Mar-19 08:31:37

Have it cut very short. This will give your hair roots a rest and you can massage your scalp daily to promote hair growth. Don’t wear a wig as this does your scalp/hair health no good at all.

3ChangingForNow Wed 20-Mar-19 08:37:27

I HIGHLY recommend a 'wig grip' hairband. I wear wigs often and found the lace at the front and the wig caps were thinning my hairline. A wig grip is a velour headband that protects your hair AND makes sure your wig does not come off. Made so much difference for me

llangennith Wed 20-Mar-19 09:23:01

Wigs are not comfortable and you get very hot in summer. It's like wearing a close fitting woolly hat in the heat.
Cut it as short as you can bear and keep having it cut until the black has gone.

tierraJ Wed 20-Mar-19 13:20:42

I enjoyed wearing my wig because it made me feel confident & attractive after hair loss but it was itchy & hot to wear, also I always worried when it was windy.

I had an auburn long wavy haired synthetic wig which made people think I had hair extensions. No one I know guessed it was actually a wig.
I wore a net underneath to catch in the hair I had left.

PurpleThistles Thu 21-Mar-19 14:51:10

Well i bought my first wig today. Love it! First pic is my normal hair, second pic is wig and hat. Just working up the courage to cut my hair off!

FuckSakeFelicia Thu 21-Mar-19 14:55:07

Purple

You really suit brown hair 🙂

ilovecherries Thu 21-Mar-19 15:15:08

It’s lovely. What did you buy?

PurpleThistles Thu 21-Mar-19 15:49:42

Heat resistant synthetic wig, shades of brown and blondish highlights. Looks good with the hat but doesnt have a parting, all comes from one point which isnt so good!

I now have very little hair, DH shaved it off with a number six. I dont mind it that short without a wig either. So pleased i had the balls to do it.

EnlightenmentwasaPassingPhase Thu 21-Mar-19 15:55:28

ilovecherries
Do you find your wigs hot in summer? How did you get on in last years heat wave?

VioletBlu Thu 21-Mar-19 18:01:50

Your own hair looks fab though... to you it might seem in poor quality but honestly, from the pic it looks great. Even if you don't like the black, surely it will fade and you could get it cut in a shorter bob to make the growing out process seem quicker? And invest in conditioning treatments? It seems such a shame for you to shave your own hair off especially when you have perfectly decent hair. (I would be very happy with that hair!)

Would there be any occasions if you did shave your hair off where you really wouldn't like to be dependent on a wig? Swimming/hols/very hot weather?

ToastyFingers Thu 21-Mar-19 19:12:20

Ooh wow! I really like it. Can I see a pic of your hair short? I'm seriously considering shaving mine off as it's really damaged but I'm not sure I'm quite ready yet.

PurpleThistles Thu 21-Mar-19 19:15:22

Without the wig, much grey! So relieved my hair is gone, my wig is synthetic and feels better than my hair. It snapped all the time and the frizz was unreal. Heres to a fresh start!

Laska2Meryls Thu 21-Mar-19 19:24:53

It looks great ! You dont need to wear a wig!, you could put in some temp color like Bleach London and use the same colour conditioner , Purple would be good.. ..I have v short hair and its pink, (washes out though)

Candleglow7475 Thu 21-Mar-19 20:02:12

It really suits you short, and you have very expressive eyes.

Horsemad Thu 21-Mar-19 20:11:12

Oh my goodness, you look beautiful! You SO suit your hair that short. envy I am very envious. 🙂

PurpleThistles Thu 21-Mar-19 20:16:08

Thank you ladies for the kind words, I am just made up to have done it as my own hair was really making me miserable. I feel a million times better and at 27 weeks pregnant, thats some achievement!

jacksonmaine Thu 21-Mar-19 20:26:33

Beautiful.

saltymofo Thu 21-Mar-19 20:29:30

Embrace the grey! I have and I love the different colours and streaks coming through and not having to dye my hair any more. There's definitely a growing trend for having natural grey hair. I wish I'd had the guts to cut it as short though to get rid of the dye. It looks great OP!

VioletBlu Thu 21-Mar-19 20:29:41

Wow, you really suit short hair!! Looks great!

ilovecherries Thu 21-Mar-19 21:09:16

thistles, you look totally beautiful.

enlightenment, I don’t actually find my wigs hot or uncomfortable, but I am also comfortable with embracing the bald, so if I don’t fancy wearing one, I don’t. These days I’m totally out about it, and have an extensive wig wardrobe now, so I rarely look the same two days in a row - for me, bald is just another option I can choose from a range of looks. I’m very fair skinned, and on days when I need a lot of sunscreen, I often don’t wear a wig, simply as it makes them grungy. Last summer I probably wore one about 50% of the time.

PurpleThistles Thu 21-Mar-19 22:37:02

Thank you ilovecherries flowers

taybert Sat 23-Mar-19 20:20:06

Sorry to hijack but I wondered if anyone could give me wig advice? My mum has had radiotherapy for a brain tumour and has lost most of her hair. She’s got a wig and is wearing a wig cap but finds it hurts her head after a while (she’s had brain surgery too so her head is pretty sensitive). She’s got a sparse fringe at the front which she’s been arranging under a hat sometimes. The dilemma is that she’s struggling with the cap but if she doesn’t wear it the wig slips because of her hair. She’s decided that it’s best to shave the remaining hair off but that means she won’t have the fringe for under hats.

She’s asked me to shave her head but I just want to check that’s the right thing to do. Someone mentioned wig grips? Would that be more comfortable that a cap? Would that allow her to keep the fringe bit?

Thanks for the help.

NicoAndTheNiners Sat 23-Mar-19 20:25:09

You look amazing with the short hair, with your old hair and with the wig! grin

You have great cheekbones for your new haircut. Suits you.

ilovecherries Sat 23-Mar-19 21:17:52

taybert, your mum might find the velvet headbands (also called wiggrips - amazon sell them) comfortable. As long as you put them on the right way round, she can keep her fringe with them. Alternatively a bamboo cap, rather than a nylon or mesh one, might help. It might be worth calling a company like simply wigs for advice -they are really helpful.

ilovecherries Sat 23-Mar-19 21:20:25

The wig will not budge with the velvet headband, it’s very secure - it’s hard to see how it works, but it’s like magic!

ilovecherries Sat 23-Mar-19 21:22:13

This: www.amazon.co.uk/Dreamlover-Elastic-Headband-Adjustable-Slipping/dp/B07FCH9T6H/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?keywords=Velvet+wig+grip&tag=mumsnetforu03-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1553376070&sr=8-3

ilovecherries Sat 23-Mar-19 21:23:55

And this. Sorry about ugly links!

www.amazon.co.uk/Bamboo-Fiber-Stock-Stretch-extension/dp/B01G1IY8MU/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?keywords=bamboo+wig+liner&tag=mumsnetforu03-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1553376156&sr=8-1

ilovecherries Sat 23-Mar-19 21:31:00

Sorry, I am hogging this thread now! A wig shouldn’t slip on hair though - I go through spells of being totally bald, and spells of having bits of hair (which I do usually buzz now, but I didnt used to). The trick is in how you put the wig on. Slick the hair back, hold the wig by the ear tabs in front of you, then sort of ‘dive’ into it. Your eyebrows should hit the front of the wig. Then you sit up, pull it down at the back under your occipital bone, and straighten the ear tabs at the sides. Finally you lift the wig into position at the front. The edge of the wig sits 4 finger widths above your brow bone. My experience is they never teach you this in hospital! Hope that helps a bit smile

ilovecherries Sat 23-Mar-19 21:33:28

If she has any hair at all at the back - even little wisps - if it can be fashioned into a tiny pony tail, that will also provide an anchor - I’ve never had that, but I’ve seen lots of women do it.

taybert Sat 23-Mar-19 22:07:45

Thanks ilovecherries, that’s all really helpful, I’ll go through it with her tomorrow when I see her. I feel a bit funny about shaving her remaining hair off sad. Once again she’s coping better with this that I am.

I should’ve said before I jumped in Purple all of your hairstyles look lovely! I wish I could pull off really short hair like that.

taybert Sat 23-Mar-19 22:10:04

I wish my phone would stop replacing than with that!

Maximus82 Mon 21-Oct-19 02:58:49

Hi I too am considering this. My hair is in terrible condition and makes me miserable. May I ask how you are getting on with your wig and if you would recommend it. If so what kind of wig do you have, do you have it professionally fitted?

Ladida01 Mon 21-Oct-19 03:29:45

Wow I so want to do what you have had the balls to do @PurpleThistles. I might just pluck up the courage to do so. You look amazing

ShippingNews Mon 21-Oct-19 03:49:40

You look beautiful with it cut - your features are lovely, you could easily go without the wig and you'd look outstanding. Good for you !

WaitrosePigeon Mon 21-Oct-19 07:26:33

You actually look amazing with short hair!

RainWoman19 Mon 21-Oct-19 09:05:01

I was dying my hair black for years in my 20s and thought it would take forever to strip. Few trips to salon to have it stripped and it was fine, a bit delicate though. I wouldnt shave it off, could you not go to a salon and get some advive? Maybe it would lift after a few sessions and they could treat it aswell as the same time. Its worth it imo.

RainWoman19 Mon 21-Oct-19 09:08:24

Oops I didnt rtft! 😂 Wow..you actually suit short hair..good on ya! X

isayhitocats Mon 21-Oct-19 09:14:40

You look AMAZING with it short!!!

AgathaTheAardvark Mon 21-Oct-19 10:12:08

Omg you look amazing with short hair! No need for wigs, but I guess it will be fun to try out different styles.

Really want to cut my hair short now!

Bin85 Mon 21-Oct-19 10:24:42

https://mol.im/a/7298821

ginghamstarfish Mon 21-Oct-19 10:32:29

You are lucky to suit such short hair! Why not embrace the grey, I'm sure it will look good. I have done, and such a relief and sorry I didn't do it years earlier.

GeorgianaDovesHouse Mon 21-Oct-19 11:56:22

You look good with short hair. Not that many people do so you are very lucky.smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »